Do we really need more content now?

More content.  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What option do you agree with more.

• Focus on new content. (Rifts and lategame stuff)
    • Focus on releasing more skillsets.
    • Focus on adding biomes/adding map setpieces/changes in the map gen.

I think the game should focus on fixing big issues that we currently have before simply adding more stuff behind rifts. Maybe some overhauls and reworks alongside the skill trees.

Essentially, combat is boring and broken, progression fells off and stubborn, late game content is overlooked (only 2 options for late game), map generation makes you walk too much to find too little important things that only get in your way, ocean and caves are lifeless, boss drops are bad, boss hp bars are too big for solo, rng destroy some speedrunners. I know that ds and dst worked until now by making the game uncompromising (just like real life, if you randomly touch a sea creature you can die paralyzed or intoxicated, that's so BS, god pls remove jellyfish, snakes and spiders from the world :p), and that's fine until you get to a point where the game itself is discouraging to play. I think that we should keep the tasks, keep the hard bosses, keep the BS hounds and deerclops destroying your base, sure I don't want that removed, but the progression feel ENDLESS and HOPELESS. Why overcoming all seasons, collecting resources for hours and hours and building stupendous contraptions only for Toadstool to not drop the lamp I wanted. It's ok if things are frustrating at times, I actually love that, the game is super unique, but I think we could balance it out too. Not everything has to be black or white, we got a full range of color to add to the game, I hope they consider this topic for their next updates.

On the other hand, here are a list of great additions IMO :

The idea of planar damage and defense (the execution could be a little better)

Armored bearger, crystal deerclops and possesed varg stun patterns and fight overall.

Brightshade gear and void gear being fixable, very nice.

Essentially rifts making the game a hardcore world (except currently there's almost no difference from opening the rifts to closing it, the game doesn't get too hard, we need rifts to affect the CORE gameplay mechanics more, maybe food, sanity, health, light, etc.. imagine if miasma came out of cave entrances and you would have to put lighting around so it doesn't spread, another reason to kill toadstool maybe for his lamp. Also imagine if the brightshades infected your crops by making them poisoned and adding a cure to the plots to make it immune from brightshades and berries and stone fruit bushes being impossible to get infected if they get a special treatment with a new rift drop from friendly fruit fly making the boss actually good to call and fight. Imagine if they made a way to RUN FASTER with malbatross wings so you could fly around the map with +25% movespeed from yet another passive mv bonus. What if crab king had a drop that made so you can block cave entrances with big piles of sea stacks. Moving sea stacks is great to farm barnacles next to the surface, sorry for the long text).

But yeah, mostly everything feels like it's in beta. We can refine a bunch more if we actually open our minds to it while still keeping the DS aesthetic to the game.

5 minutes ago, goatt said:

When I log in the game, I (still) enjoy it very much.

Me too!!

I play it every day.

Its the only game I play.

I never felt uninspired or bad while playing. Even though certain aspects of the game can be described as "boring" or "bad", they still are great things for the game. The use of words to express my feelings towards the thing itself helps the people understand my concerns and possible "problems".

The game is fine, but could be better, and because I love it so much, I try to give honest criticism so it becomes the best version it can be.

And what better experience than to share our thoughts with each other right?

Hope you have something to share too.

See how asking for difficulty but a rewarding way to overcome it while ALSO being able to creatively affect your surroundings can be impactful? 

Tell me, killing misery gives any advantage in the fw fight?

Does killing crab king helps in any way your gameplay? Strident trident is so bad I wanna cry.

Any content is welcome in my eyes. Though I fear that Klei is reaching the game's limits in the way to be able to stay functional and do all the mechanics. Good thing that many things been simplified enough to be functional and not be like hamlet where nature is always happening everywhere. 

QoL, engine updates, generally experimentation is something I wanna see more if it would take that much work to do anything at all. As long as it's beneficial to Klei longterm and us players for entertainment - it's hard to complain since updates are always free. Them doing once a month updates was a mistake at the times, and they've taken more time sometimes to make updates but they still felt small and halfbaked in some ways. having 4 big bundle updates a year means their artists and programmers get more time to work on it all and we need that most if we want a healthy game going.

I'll take it as they still want to revisit a lot of mechanics but they also want new things to be added. In order for any of that to happen they need that time for their works. Maybe they'll update toadstool and crabking perhaps to have more reason to be killed. More toad skins as reward, or update the napsack as a weapon some more... Give crab king sunken chests for rewards. idk anything will do.

The biggest gripe I have is World Generation. Having a full overhaul of that would get me to play for another 2.5k hours. nothing else has to change for me. Just that.

Klei has a vision for where the game is at now, and where they want it to ultimately end up at.

I don’t think fixing stuff is a priority until all the pieces of their puzzle are put fully into play.

As long as they still plan to support the game, just relax and try to enjoy the ride, even if you don’t fully agree with every change they make.

7 hours ago, Swiyss said:

I think the game should focus on fixing big issues that we currently have before simply adding more stuff behind rifts. Maybe some overhauls and reworks alongside the skill trees.

Essentially, combat is boring and broken, progression fells off and stubborn, late game content is overlooked (only 2 options for late game), map generation makes you walk too much to find too little important things that only get in your way, ocean and caves are lifeless, boss drops are bad, boss hp bars are too big for solo, rng destroy some speedrunners. I know that ds and dst worked until now by making the game uncompromising (just like real life, if you randomly touch a sea creature you can die paralyzed or intoxicated, that's so BS, god pls remove jellyfish, snakes and spiders from the world :p), and that's fine until you get to a point where the game itself is discouraging to play. I think that we should keep the tasks, keep the hard bosses, keep the BS hounds and deerclops destroying your base, sure I don't want that removed, but the progression feel ENDLESS and HOPELESS. Why overcoming all seasons, collecting resources for hours and hours and building stupendous contraptions only for Toadstool to not drop the lamp I wanted. It's ok if things are frustrating at times, I actually love that, the game is super unique, but I think we could balance it out too. Not everything has to be black or white, we got a full range of color to add to the game, I hope they consider this topic for their next updates.

On the other hand, here are a list of great additions IMO :

The idea of planar damage and defense (the execution could be a little better)

Armored bearger, crystal deerclops and possesed varg stun patterns and fight overall.

Brightshade gear and void gear being fixable, very nice.

Essentially rifts making the game a hardcore world (except currently there's almost no difference from opening the rifts to closing it, the game doesn't get too hard, we need rifts to affect the CORE gameplay mechanics more, maybe food, sanity, health, light, etc.. imagine if miasma came out of cave entrances and you would have to put lighting around so it doesn't spread, another reason to kill toadstool maybe for his lamp. Also imagine if the brightshades infected your crops by making them poisoned and adding a cure to the plots to make it immune from brightshades and berries and stone fruit bushes being impossible to get infected if they get a special treatment with a new rift drop from friendly fruit fly making the boss actually good to call and fight. Imagine if they made a way to RUN FASTER with malbatross wings so you could fly around the map with +25% movespeed from yet another passive mv bonus. What if crab king had a drop that made so you can block cave entrances with big piles of sea stacks. Moving sea stacks is great to farm barnacles next to the surface, sorry for the long text).

But yeah, mostly everything feels like it's in beta. We can refine a bunch more if we actually open our minds to it while still keeping the DS aesthetic to the game.

RNG is just a core part of speedruns, boss loot differs from boss to boss and that's okay. Although I agree the celestial orb, and crab king (and/or the rest of the CC questline) should absolutely be reworked. 
Klei already does patch up things, although at a slower rate. (Also reworked content and overhauls are content.)
You also contradict yourself, why wouldn't we need more content if the rifts are "the same as not having them"? That's literally content. 
Klei already stated that every update will come with QoL, I'm sure that this will eventually be addressed.

4 hours ago, loopuleasa said:

Forums is the place where people can complain for receiving game updates

It's not like that. I'm just pointing it out some issue that could be adressed before those updates. Did you even read the post I did?

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Klei has a vision for where the game is at now, and where they want it to ultimately end up at.

I don’t think fixing stuff is a priority until all the pieces of their puzzle are put fully into play.

As long as they still plan to support the game, just relax and try to enjoy the ride, even if you don’t fully agree with every change they make.

That's good advice, thanks. Still I would wish they take some things in consideration, specially old resources and dashes being tied to specific characters only.

48 minutes ago, Catuna_ said:

why wouldn't we need more content if the rifts are "the same as not having them"? That's literally content

Yeah, this was another point just to show that EVEN the new content has its flaws, and most of them are due to how the game progresses. Sure you can rush to kill a boss or rush to get late game content, but I feel like the headache for CC of having everything ready by day 41 but having to wait until 54 to get the orb for exemple is a mechanic that indeed needs change, because it's not only frustrating but also tedious and not that rewarding. If I could spawn meteors by lighting flares with specific magnetic attractor, the game would feel nicer, and its such a simple addition I fear why they haven't done it yet so I agree with you.

5 hours ago, Evelo said:

The biggest gripe I have is World Generation. Having a full overhaul of that would get me to play for another 2.5k hours. nothing else has to change for me. Just that.

I think that ever since the sharkboi update, the world gen is a little bit more buggy, as we are getting more "lakes" near the shore of certain biomes

6 minutes ago, Valase said:

I think that ever since the sharkboi update, the world gen is a little bit more buggy, as we are getting more "lakes" near the shore of certain biomes

I've been consistently getting more "loop" type worlds where the surface loops and the lunar island is at the end of 2 edges. Sharkboi requires a gigantic space of water because of the glaciers and that's probably why.

If you set branch never and loop never you'll consistently get ocean formations really close to land.

frostjaw didn't even change how the seeds get generated since it's a setpiece that spawns in a random place a few seconds after the 1st player spawns in, the ice can spawn even on top of land, i've once seen it spawn on the crabby hermit's island and it can generate on land too if the world is too small for it to find a better place

1 minute ago, mykenception said:

as long as the content is polished and has consistency, why not

Yeah that's the issue. Let's wait to see if this new update format will shake things for the best.

As long as they keep the game updated but adress these issues at the same time. Then there is no reason to not get new content but I don't think they can do all at once and both options be good with the old format. Maybe in 4 or 3 months from now we'll start to see changes.

i would say there are aspects of the world gen and the way content is being added that seem to ignore certain parts of the game.
for example, a lot of the new content last year was just ocean content, and i get it, it is a massive amount of space, but i still feel very uninspired by it, the monkey raids are an annoyance, the mangrove is just a lategame way to get shade near the shore, and crab king is a pain to fight.

meanwhile areas of the caves are close to empty of content and you rarely have the slightest reason to visit them.

once you find the atrium, ruins and archives, half the caves are just empty space, sure you go fight werepig and toadstool around but what about the batilisk nests? the cave swamp? three of the mush forests are just "if you really need mushroom, here you go"
and you might think, how is that different from areas in the surface? well even if you dont want anything from the savana, you might end crossing through it regularly to get to another zone because of how the map is generated.
there is space and reason to add small content to the saves, mini mush treeguard bosses to each of the mush forests? move hutch to the caves swamp so you have to go there to get him? i can see a world where a batilisk boss can be added with a small useful drop.
the areas exist to add more cool things instead of "lets make a new ice platform in the ocean to add this boss"

At present, these are the most controversial ones.

The content of cracks urgently needs to be developed, the updating of skill trees urgently needs to be balanced, and the content at sea needs to be expanded.

I personally believe that the roadmap for 2024 is designed for these services. Klei has slowed down the pace of updates and is preparing to expand these services at once, so I don't think there's a need to worry too much.

One thing I hope is they reduce the loading time between coming in and out of caves. I already upgraded my laptop so It's not really a problem for me anymore but for people whose pc is on the weaker side it's really annoying to wait 20s+ each time you travel between shards, especially in a long running world.

Speaking of which, would it be worse if they tried merging the surface and caves into one server, which may result in there being a top layer (surface) and a bottom layer (caves)? Is it more or less taxing for hardware to process a bigger (more dynamic?) server like that, as opposed to two servers at once?

Archived