I am not disappointed by skill trees

We need this positive thread. I very much like skill trees and feel like most of them are in a good place, even if a couple skills here and there could use some changes (quicker picker for Woodie and Wormwood's crafting perk trees could probably use some combining to make them more worth taking). They give tons of replay value and add QoL improvements and alternate playstyles. 

Man, gotta love it how every time anyone dares to criticize Klei, the dst forumites will retaliate with a "We love you Klei!"-type thread

It's also funny how the criticism is usually a breakdown of the issue, why it is an issue and how to fix it, while to positivity thread is just "no i like it actually"

The skill trees are “Okay-Ish” at Best.. like I mean in general most characters never needed them, most characters were fine as they already were.. and Myself in particular absolutely rejoiced once all the Reworks, Refreshes & Re-Reworks were completely finished which was taking up months of development time and resource costs that could’ve been put to use improving other areas of the game Outside of Character exclusive content.

Skill Trees are exactly that though, more character exclusive content taking away development time Klei could’ve put to use doing literally ANYTHING else, rather that was filling out the (still mostly empty) Ocean, redesigning caves content to be more interesting with more to do since well you know… caves have existed since like 2013… and it’s now 2024.

let me easily put that into a better perspective for you so you can understand- After 10+ Years games usually see many sequels, and foundation changing features.

it’s basically GTA 3 vs GTA V.

Or Arkham Asylum vs Arkham Knight..

Players are (& reasonably so..) clamoring for a much bigger game than Klei seems to be willing to make…

And Skill Trees, while some have been “Okay-Ish” is just further delaying of serious game foundation changes.

Am I going to have to wait until 2033 before DST gets an update for something like THIS?!

1DDE2330-79AB-4225-835A-58D8D95DC4B9.jpeg.7f1a465d6cd4da557190b7b78635c291.jpeg

So maybe skill trees aren’t “Bad” but skill trees existing at all is basically Character Re-Reworks part 3… and I for one am quite confused why Klei would make all these changes to their cast of characters in DST, when those changes could’ve been saved for a potential Dont Starve 2.

Willow being a full blown fire casting mage just feels like it should’ve been a DS 2 type thing, and the fact that Klei hasn’t announced a DS 2 yet… means that they’re still milking DST..

But DST came out in like 2015… and we’re steadily headed towards 10 full years of it existing.

Players (myself included) want something that feels like a game made in 2024, and skill trees just keep delaying that.

58 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Man, gotta love it how every time anyone dares to criticize Klei, the dst forumites will retaliate with a "We love you Klei!"-type thread

It's also funny how the criticism is usually a breakdown of the issue, why it is an issue and how to fix it, while to positivity thread is just "no i like it actually"

I mean, people are free to like different things. I know skill trees are by far the most contested thing on this forum so far. While I don't mind skill trees, I also understand that some people are not happy with them, and I don't think a positive thread is going to magically make the other ones disappear either.

I myself have a positive relation to them. It's given me a reason to play characters I never would have in the first place. It's not the most shocking thing ever, but it does encourage me to try and stick with a character for a bit longer than normal, which I think is a good merit of itself.

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Am I going to have to wait until 2033 before DST gets an update for something like THIS?!

DST would never get this update, there's too much work to be done making rest of the game compatible with slopes, they better just make another game.

It can only be said that updating the skill tree is an exploration by Klei.

In fact, there has been a lot of controversy since the DST started redoing characters, but we need to be clear that DST is not DS. It must take into account sustainable and more challenging aspects of development. It is not easy to build a new system based on the existing framework.

Therefore, I believe that skill trees are just a beneficial exploration, and I also believe that Klei attaches great importance to DST.

8 hours ago, _zwb said:

DST would never get this update, there's too much work to be done making rest of the game compatible with slopes, they better just make another game.

I don’t know.. I’m currently playing Cassette Beasts and having hills, slopes, and inaccessible mountain tops makes just generally exploring the game map more of a puzzle than DST is.

Im very specifically mentioning Cassette Beasts because it’s world is also a 2D-ish, flat DS like world without 3D models. And most importantly of all Cassette Beasts has a “Fixed” Camera Angle that only rotates when the area of the game is Programmed to rotate it.

But.. as you and I both know- DST has always allowed players to Rotate the games camera angle at anytime the player desires, and to be honest with you: I rarely EVER use the map rotation feature in DST outside of building a base because I easily get confused and disorientated when I even accidentally bump my “rotate map” button once or twice.

But the fact that we CAN rotate this map at anytime we desire, means that slopes and hills would fit into DST BETTER than they do Cassette Beasts.

But then again.. I could always be wrong. So who knows. 

15 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

2D-ish, flat DS like world without 3D

Don't forget to mention that cassette beasts has a premade world and not a generated world like dst meaning it's a lot more time to integrate such a system into a game like this 

2 minutes ago, gamehun20 said:

Don't forget to mention that cassette beasts has a premade world and not a generated world like dst mean it's a lot more time to integrate such a system into a game like this 

You mean, the same amount of time I feel Klei has wasted on character refreshes, reworks, re-reworks, and now also skill trees? (Re-works part 3 in disguise.)

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

You mean, the same amount of time I feel Klei has wasted on character refreshes, reworks, re-reworks, and now also skill trees? (Re-works part 3 in disguise.)

Probably way more than those

15 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I don’t know.. I’m currently playing Cassette Beasts and having hills, slopes, and inaccessible mountain tops makes just generally exploring the game map more of a puzzle than DST is.

Im very specifically mentioning Cassette Beasts because it’s world is also a 2D-ish, flat DS like world without 3D models. And most importantly of all Cassette Beasts has a “Fixed” Camera Angle that only rotates when the area of the game is Programmed to rotate it.

But.. as you and I both know- DST has always allowed players to Rotate the games camera angle at anytime the player desires, and to be honest with you: I rarely EVER use the map rotation feature in DST outside of building a base because I easily get confused and disorientated when I even accidentally bump my “rotate map” button once or twice.

But the fact that we CAN rotate this map at anytime we desire, means that slopes and hills would fit into DST BETTER than they do Cassette Beasts.

But then again.. I could always be wrong. So who knows. 

That game can do that because it's designed and implemented like so from the beginning. DST is not. You would have to make a lot of adjustments to the game engine for a 3d gameplay.

For example, slopes, should objects slide on it due to gravity? Should you be able to place structures on it? How would that look like? What would turfs be like on slopes? How should path finding work on slopes? What to do with movements that raise you up in the y axis(for example knock backed animation)?

These are just a few examples, there are definitely more things to adjust for slopes and elevation. There's just too much work.

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Those are easier to program compared to elevation.

On 1/30/2024 at 7:30 AM, Szczuku said:

Don't worry bro when we get to reworks edition 3 it's going to be even funnier.

I am not dissappinted about skill trees, i like them so far.

But we have had so many sets of character updates and it is beginning all again when the world should take the focus since it has the most holes. (Caves, ocean ect)

6 hours ago, Antynomity said:

Don't worry bro when we get to reworks edition 3 it's going to be even funnier.

Rebirths to become stronger. (Like those roblox games.)

On 1/30/2024 at 7:30 AM, Szczuku said:

Yes, how dare people like the thing I despise without having to explain themselves or not be mad all the time!

And going through your message history your "criticism" of the most recent updates only boils down to over-inflated nitpicks, especially about the small pop-up before activating the Rifts and the inconsistencies of the recent short featuring Walter.

Archived