willow needs a small change

First of all, I am 3600 hr dst user. i spent most time to play every charater. so i know that willow is not too much good than other character. here is reason why i think that. frist, burning frenzy skill is too short to deal Sufficient damage to boss. so this skill is hard to use. my recommendation is that make burning frenzy skill to passive skill or give longer duration like 5 min. second, ember is so hard to gather. magic skill needs 5 ember at once. so we needs to kill at least 5 mobs. it spends too much time. my recommendation is that make ember skill cost 5 to 3 and 4 to 2.

Embers are extremely easy to get a lot of. You only need to kill bees or spiders and you can get more than 40 a day. This is especially true if your world has a killer bee biome or a spider quarry - you can just light a huge swarm on fire at once and start swinging with a spear or ham bat and easily earn well over triple the embers you spent lighting them up in, like, ten seconds.

Embers are not a big problem, the problem is the upper limit of skills. In fact, Willow is an ordinary 1.0 character when facing most bosses. The duration of Burning Fury cannot change much, as the vast majority of bosses will not be ignited, and dealing with small monsters does not require this skill, making it useless. I hope this skill can give Willow a buff with a fixed damage burning attack (similar to the three combos of dragonfly).

As for the flame of affinity, you can see my post.

2 hours ago, DegenerateFurry said:

Embers are extremely easy to get a lot of. You only need to kill bees or spiders and you can get more than 40 a day. This is especially true if your world has a killer bee biome or a spider quarry - you can just light a huge swarm on fire at once and start swinging with a spear or ham bat and easily earn well over triple the embers you spent lighting them up in, like, ten seconds.

yes you are. i already tried that. But a beginner like my steam friend is hard to do that. And it's a shame that there's not enough inventory space when there's enough to use ember.

I dont get why she has a boost of damage, doesnt fit at all neither has sense that you hit harder

Outside of that nitpick i think she is a really good spot, fun and really strong in many situations.

i don't agree with she being able to burn fire resistance enemies, not every perk should be viable in every single situation. At most they can revisit enemies that make sense to be able to burn like daywalker

Edit. About op's suggestion: just make bee boxes or plant spider eggs

I think it is pretty easy to keep 20-40 ember on my at any time without any ember farm.  Just killing some spiders or bees early lets me fill up pretty quick, and as I fight things I usually have things I can light on fire while killing to refill.  Keeping 1 stack of embers has never been an issue.

To get multiple stacks of embers takes a farm though.  Preferably having hornet nest biome for fastest fill.  The thing is, with cool downs the only reason I would want multiple stacks of embers is to kill bee queen.  She's really the only boss I've found particularly susceptible to lunar fire.  Most fights it would be pretty dumb to bother trying lol.  Shadow fire is easy enough to spam in a fight, and can definitely dump some embers, but then I'd have to farm up a mass of embers eh...  I'd rather fight like Wilson lol

Burning Frenzy is fun, but considering the investment - skill points, ember cost, time to light / relight enemies (1 swing,) time to cast / recast (2 swings,) [For the record, that is 3 swings to light an enemy and cast it.  At +25% damage you need 12 attacks just to break even...  This buff is really bad.]  its just too little damage for the effort you put in.  Its more like 1.1 net damage mod.  Technically you still gain, but its not really impressive.  Like unless you're in such a time crunch that anim canceling is part of your fight you probably won't notice BF's damage.

I don't think Willow really needs a damage mod as much as other touch ups to her kit, but between letting her light non-combustible enemies and getting more damage I think more damage would be a better answer.  I think its nice that some enemies can be lit up and others can't.  I really don't mind that part.  Getting more damage at least really lets her shine where she can.

Another option would be re-working the skill its self.  One good suggestion was to make this skill actually light Willow up dealing fire damage to nearby enemies.  This would make the skill more universally applicable and more efficient since it would basically equate to a self-centered dot per cast.  idk if that is the right answer, but a re-work to make the skill more unique then a simple damage steroid might be the best answer b/c just dealing more damage isn't very fun.

But the bottom line...  idk that Klei is going to do anything for Willow.  Her beta was rushed and took only a little feedback into account.  Most of the beta was just bug fixes on combustion and other skills crashing people, not even balance testing.  They didn't even give her skins / trailer the way they did with the others...  She's just in a dark corner burning matches.  I'd love it if they came back to Willow, but I expect next patch will be YotD and moving forward to other characters where Klei will do a much better job, and power creep the remaining lineup.  Its refreshes all over again.

15 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

Frenzy has been a skip skill for me, I’d either make it a passive under fire fighter, or at least double the duration if keeping as an ember skill, but this type of DPS also just bores me in general so I may still skip.

I’m not a fan of burning frenzy, there are literally no situations where I’d want to use it, it doesn’t last very long, and I could invest a skill point into something more useful.

On 1/26/2024 at 11:43 AM, Mike23Ua said:

I’m not a fan of burning frenzy, there are literally no situations where I’d want to use it, it doesn’t last very long, and I could invest a skill point into something more useful.

Same, it's pretty much useless in multiplayer, cause putting the boss on fire is often detrimental to the other players, and I can't think of any situations where burning frenzy would be of any use for regular enemies or smaller bosses. Plus it's just boring. 

Archived