Harmless bugs with no alternative to them getting replaced should stay in the game.

I'd like to post my suggestion to broken shells being easier to acquire in game. They are harmless to have a lot of and quite frankly, with credits to the developers of Cult of the Lamb, we've been given the best reason to use a very previously obscure and underused decoration. 

To address the title, yes. There are a litany of bugs perhaps a lot of us don't report because of general facets of the game being a bit slow and tedious being, for lack of a better word, 'solved.'

Without the exploit which lets you farm broken shells on Pearl's island which has just recently been fixed, farming broken shells is not worth one's time. 

They don't offer great value other than a mental value.

As for shell bumpers, you're better off compounding patch kits to make up the difference. It works out to be cheaper.

Even the honey being produced from the bag of thanks was completely irrelevant. Setting up honey farms is leaps and bounds more time efficient and eventually resource efficient than wasting your time dropping a shell cluster into the water just to pick it up again.

I think it's good practice to assess these "exploits" and ask 'why are players doing this? Excluding exploits, is the status quo adequate?'

The answer is no. The current status quo of farming up broken shells is far from acceptable. 

57 minutes ago, chirsg said:

I think it's good practice to assess these "exploits" and ask 'why are players doing this? Excluding exploits, is the status quo adequate?'

Yes, absolutely.

Tbh I think this bug fix is just JesseB being lazy. There were multiple reports about being able to repeat junk cleaning task, they didn't fix it. Few days ago I reported a bug related to this task. JesseB marked this as fixed, but he didn't fix it, all he did was making this one time task, if you repeat the task the bug is still there.

I don't think this change is a well thought design choice.

49 minutes ago, Well-met said:

just kill crab king for shells lmfao

Getting 9~14 shell pieces every 20 days is extremely slow if you want to mass farm those. That's like 14 potted fern at best, most builders use more than that.

2 minutes ago, _zwb said:

Tbh I think this bug fix is just JesseB being lazy

Not once have I ever singled out a developer like this. Never. I might criticize the choices as a collective because they're a team, but never an individual. I draw the line there.

I give good reasons as to why something isn't effective in practice, but I won't ever tell anyone they're "Lazy"

I don't endorse this post and I want this stricken from civil conversation.

I don't even know if Jesse B is even the one who made the change to begin with, and I don't think you know for sure either.

Just now, chirsg said:

Not once have I ever singled out a developer like this. Never. I might criticize the choices as a collective because they're a team, but never an individual. I draw the line there.

I give good reasons as to why something isn't effective in practice, but I won't ever tell anyone they're "Lazy"

I don't endorse this post and I want this stricken from civil conversation.

That's not meant to be taken seriously, but I really can't find another way to describe this bug fix than lazy

I wash my hands of the replies. I don't think the developers are lazy and it's an unfair assessment to say so.

I make my suggestions, never to insult, but to say what is falling short from the game to improve it.

Such a general term like "lazy" is not constructive and specific enough.

I can't apologize for someone else's actions and words, but for the record, I am not calling anyone lazy. 

And I condemn anyone for saying anything like that.

Not exactly on topic, but man I miss the old GetPlayer wardrobe bug where you can become anyone while retaining your current character's perks. That wasn't really impactful to gameplay and serves only to make people laugh or confused.

Please fix a bug BEFORE it becomes a "feature'.

Or prevent people from utilizing "features", not by abruptly fixing it, but by designing well-balanced content in the beginning, or patching it up later with care.

Forcing players racking their brains only to patch awfully-designed things up, leaving problems thrive for years, and things like this are doomed to happen.

If time was wound back and I was told that there would be mild upset about this bug getting fixed I would not have believed you.

Anyways, I would not be against more consistent ways to acquire shells. Their tedious collection methods single-handedly make shell bumpers worthless.

1 minute ago, Jakepeng99 said:

And increase the shell drop rate from snails (10 is too much)

10 isn't too many. Given the rarity of each snail and the very little utility you get from them, 10 is just maybe 2.5 tiles worth of potted ferns in a straight line. Perhaps fewer.

And shell bumpers aren't reliable either, especially when you make a boat an all purpose base.

I'll explain;
So a lot of the times, you're making do with what little space you have on a boat and a lot of the space is going to be occupied, namely the edges. 

Many times, bumpers don't even fit onto a boat if it's especially packed, so you'll either have a "Strike boat" which is meant to be all bumpers with no significant structures or your all purpose boat, which many times don't even allow for generous space to even place a bumper to begin with.

And at that point, just hit a boat against objects without bumpers. Patch kits are arguably cheaper, and EVEN then, if you go on a mission to strike things with you boat, grass rafts don't create new leaks. 

so I sustain that the number of broken shells dropped from any snail that is blown up to be 10. 10 is appropriate, 10 is not unbalanced, 10 is completely fine. 50 per snail would be fine, but I humbly and regrettably request the number be 10, instead of the rightful and deserved 50. Even 1000 broken shells.

3 hours ago, chirsg said:

I'd like to post my suggestion to broken shells being easier to acquire in game. They are harmless to have a lot of and quite frankly, with credits to the developers of Cult of the Lamb, we've been given the best reason to use a very previously obscure and underused decoration. 

To address the title, yes. There are a litany of bugs perhaps a lot of us don't report because of general facets of the game being a bit slow and tedious being, for lack of a better word, 'solved.'

Without the exploit which lets you farm broken shells on Pearl's island which has just recently been fixed, farming broken shells is not worth one's time. 

They don't offer great value other than a mental value.

As for shell bumpers, you're better off compounding patch kits to make up the difference. It works out to be cheaper.

Even the honey being produced from the bag of thanks was completely irrelevant. Setting up honey farms is leaps and bounds more time efficient and eventually resource efficient than wasting your time dropping a shell cluster into the water just to pick it up again.

The answer is no. The current status quo of farming up broken shells is far from acceptable. 

I got around 40 shells faming crustashines in the moon quay. But it took the whole winter+ so around 17 days and I didn't even use moongleams.

Also. Counting all the ones you get from pearl plus crab king I think you're just exaggerating.

EDIT : I farmed 52* shells actually I forgot to consider that I used 12 of them for bumpers.

53 minutes ago, chirsg said:

dstlampplacementbridgebuild.PNG.4d95a4ad53df5a222e9063a6ed056e14.PNG

image.png.b4c372b6981457bc3082f33514141c02.png

image.png.a85ddb12a44bc9e2ebfefb407f2d2216.png

image.png.46a201729bf7d5fda6e8bcec9fd130b3.png

Am I?

Yes. 

Let's say you wanna do dreadstone pillars around you whole base. And you basically have a mega base that covers a whole biome in a world with regular settings, so then you go to the forums asking for a quicker way to farm dreadstone. That's how you look to me.

People already know how tedious it is to massively farm these shells

Making it easier would ruins its value. So stop pls.

3 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

Let's say you wanna do dreadstone pillars around you whole base. And you basically have a mega base that covers a whole biome in a world with regular settings, so then you go to the forums asking for a quicker way to farm dreadstone. That's how you look to me.

That's fine. Also, farming dreadstone in this iteration is easier than farming shells, believe me. You can get more dreadstone in a shorter amount of time than you can get shells after this patch.

4 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

There isn't much value towards shells. Even as boat armor. Boat armor is less valuable than having boat patches. 

1 minute ago, chirsg said:

That's fine. Also, farming dreadstone in this iteration is easier than farming shells, believe me. You can get more dreadstone in a shorter amount of time than you can get shells after this patch.

You get ~9 per 20 days plus ~15 every 15 days, so that's ~24 dreadstone per minimum 15 days. Say you killed weeping twice in a 21 day period after he spawned, that's ~33 every 21 days minimum and a maximum of 49. But that's just theoretically. I got 52 shells in 17 days, so that's already easier than getting dreadstone plus I didn't even had rifts open. To mass produce dreadstone like in the example you need rifts open or he number goes to ~9 every 20 days unless you're playing Wilson specifically. If you had lunar rifts open, you could farm moongleams for 5 days straight and get 0-70 shells. Now let's say you farmed moongleams for 21 days, that's a lot of shells, not counting that you can also farm crab king every 20 days. So no, it's not easier to farm dreadstone.

22 minutes ago, chirsg said:

Yes it is.

Construction amulet.

But you can use amulets to dupe shells too. And even IF dreadstone is easier to farm, it has 2 or 3 other uses, shells are "bad" for protecting your boat anyway as you said so it only has 1 use, meaning they are not abundant for that reason. Sure you can craft a seed pack it, but you're not mass producing them anyways, and if they change the shell drop, better to change all other turf components too so they're easier to grind since shells are used for turf too.

Did you take in consideration that Guano turf is hard to mass produce? Compare some turf crafts in the game with shell beach turf or the cave pot and you'll see that broke shells are not that hard to mass produce, it's just another task.

48 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

How? What value do shell pieces have? Bumpers? Those are garbage, they break so fast and take up building space, you better just take some planks for another boat kit. As for other uses, it's just decoration, you should be able to mass farm those.

3 minutes ago, _zwb said:

How? What value do shell pieces have? Bumpers? Those are garbage, they break so fast and take up building space, you better just take some planks for another boat kit. As for other uses, it's just decoration, you should be able to mass farm those.

Yeah ok so basically all turfs and decorations have the same value now sure.

It's not like they use different resources that are harder/easier to acquire, making them look more/less valuable.

I guess the only difference from dreadstone pillar and rock pillar are the pixels, not how much time you spent grinding each resource.

4 minutes ago, _zwb said:

you should be able to mass farm those

You already can.

3 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

I guess the only difference from dreadstone pillar and rock pillar are the pixels, not how much time you spent grinding each resource.

If the value of an item/structure is the effort required for making it then sure, turfs are more valuable than potted ferns, however value is not determined by the effort required to make something, but the effects it produce.

You can spend 5 hours making a pie out of dirt, but it wouldn't be more valuable than an apple pie made in an hour.

2 minutes ago, _zwb said:

value is not determined by the effort required to make something, but the effects it produce.

Value is determined by the effort required to make something and the effects it produce.

3 minutes ago, _zwb said:

You can spend 5 hours making a pie out of dirt, but it wouldn't be more valuable than an apple pie made in an hour

When you're doing a world tour and there's a lunar tree in the mainland, the value we get from it is not only more wood, but the beauty of symbolizing the whole trip to the moon island you dummy.

Just now, Swiyss said:

Value is determined by the effort required to make something and the effects it produce.

If so, in terms of survival, decorations are not valuable at all, then there's no reason to make it difficult to obtain them in mass quantities. Unless building a pretty base should be challenging in this game?

Give me more shopcats reactions lol.

Just now, _zwb said:

If so, in terms of survival, decorations are not valuable at all, then there's no reason to make it difficult to obtain them in mass quantities. Unless building a pretty base should be challenging in this game?

I just gave you the example please read it again if you don't get it.

Archived