My note of frustration.

Hi forums ♡

I've been playing this game for a long time now, and in an attempt to learn it and trying to experience everything out there, I have noticed certain things in the game are either a little off or too complicated. So here is my story, learning curves, found content and strategy implementations :D

I knew there was this thing called a moon island, but I am someone who rarely goes to the wiki or watch tutorials so I had no Idea of what to expect. Only thing I knew was that this boss called Celestial Champion lurked around that place, so I learned how to make a boat and manuver it. I was being very cautious because I have tried to sail before and crashed the boat on a rock, I also didn't know what the plank was for until now. With this in mind I was very slow and it took too many days to find it. I also didn't succeed the first time, it took many attempts just to learn boat management, and it is one of the most stressful things in the game since you have little vision ahead. I think there should be a way to see more in the game while sailing (I don't think this exists, correct me if I'm wrong because I never used the pirate hats, so I don't know what they do). I found this giant blue bird in the ocean and killed him, and I think his fight was super fun, he kept pushing my boat, so I had to row and punch at the same time, thankfully I had a lot of armors and healing, but he destroyed the mast on the boat >:@

Anyways, after finding the island, I was shocked completely, so many loot and so many different things around to find. My favorite are the trees and the walking carrots, they are super cute. I had no idea the sea kelp on the ground was plantable at first, so I used a lot of them as weapon. I was playing the librarian so she hints a lot of things, but my english is not the best, so most words I didn't know what they meant, as there isn't an official language in the game settings. I also think that the trip was very boring, but the results were amazing so overall everything was good. But still haven't seen any celestial champions.

After dying in many worlds, I discovered the hermit island. Which was a place I knew existed, but thought of it being a boss spawn, so I was very scary at first and brought a lot of armour haha. Then she starts complaining and saying she needs things, that's when I tried to fish for her, and clear her place around. I didn't noticed the lureplant was a quest, I was reciving these presents from her but I had no way of knowing why. She also randomly fished, and I thought I was supposed to throw fish food in the ocean so she would catch fish. Then I got bored and left. Upon leaving I went to the wiki because I was a little confused of the purpose of the island and found out a bunch of things to do. I had tried to build her house before, but I had no idea what was that item she needed to build (the little salt monsters shell) and it took me a lot of reading to understand everything. So I started reading and reading all the wiki and searching for the wrong things, and eventually I realised that I had to kill another boss called the crab king, also I needed to gain this pearls pearl, and 3 altars in the moon and there was this biome underground with puzzles and centipedes. I was so overwhelmed that I decided to stop playing for a bit. The game didn't tell that hermit quests existed and that to fight the crab I would need another 8 gems. Also the boat crashed in the first 5 seconds of the fight because his claws punched my boat and he created multiple holes in it too. They said the purple gem was the best gem to fight him, but then I thought how am I gonna repair the boat like that? Me and my friend started to make boat repair kits and went again, but the amount of holes was too much. I understand the addition of the scrapbook, but it was not useful in most of these situations, and having to open a book while simultaneously playing the game is not vey fun. So I decided to ask a streamer how to do it, and they said the easiest way to kill him was with wickerbottom bees and 3 flingomatics, but I needed a sun staff, which I didn't have. My feedback on this was: there are too many things that takes too long to know, and even if I knew a flingomatic existed, just the idea of using it in the fight made me realise how many things have passed unseen by me. Now I had to know everything, because I can't advance if I don't know certain things exists.

After asking another friend for help, he finally helped me and guided me through everything. So we killed the celestial champion and he gaved me the crown. But if it wasn't for him I would probably take months to learn all of this. This is too complicated, and I know that people like it, and I don't wanna anger no one, but my experience was very sad and frustated overall.

Another thing I was very sad about was the ruins. I had to first find salt, then mine nitre and rocks, then use the knowledge we gain to build these treats, then cook the treats, then go down there and feed the moths, only for them to die by a centipede or those purple worms that come kill you, then waiting for them to respawn, realise they take tok long to respawn. All of this to get 4 thucelite fragments. I don't wanna sound rude or too noisy, but I was so frustrated that I had to ask my brother what to do. And he said I had to kill the ancient fuelweaver to respawn the statues. I think there could be an easier way of progressing in the game instead of having to call my friends for help all the time or have to read giant texts in the wiki (I am writing a giant text here so my bad, it wasn't supposed to be that big).

So in the end, my idea of this whole post was the thucelite recreation being very boring and too slow, because there was nothinf to do down there expect wait. Also I was sad that the first time I did all of this was great but didn't compared to the first time I had to learn how to survive winter and summer( yes, I died and rolledback maybe 200 times because I kept dying to hounds, spiders and even sharks while trying to learn the game.)

If you can share your experience I would absolutely love it. And sorry for maybe complaining too much in this post. I have many other stories of failed adventures to share. So if maybe someone want to ask about other things and how they were to learn that would be great. Also special thanks to every streamer and friends that helped me, without them it would be impossible for me to keep playing haha.

What are your thoughts?

I also fight the sharkjaw recently with a friend, and both the malbaross and him are super fun fights. My first encounter with the malbatross was probably the most fun I had in thhe ocean beside the sharkjaw. The boot teleportation is very amazing so I dont have to pass the monkeys now in my world .

As a player who has never done anything Ancient Fuel Weaver related or Celestial Champion related this post is very relatable. Hearing all this cool stuff that I can do from public servers and going on the wiki to find out how complicated it is... It's very overwhelming and I would have no idea it would even exist if it weren't for the wiki or other people.

When my friends and I first played the game we would explore the ocean a little bit, get gear from the lunar isle, explore thr caves, but mostly we just survived a full year. After looking at the wiki I can't believe how much stuff I've missed and while I'd love to do it, it's an overwhelming amount of stuff. Also my friends don't even play the game anymore because they want more direction rather than just mindlessly exploring. While you could argue mindlessly exploring and finding things out is what makes Don't Starve, you'd be right, but this is the reason they stopped playing. This is after 100-200 hours in the game they left. 

Also what you said about getting bored by sailing and doing the tasks for pearl I agree. It seemed like I was dedicating  everything to Pearl's quests when I first discovered it and when I got to the next level I was already bored.

So yeah I suppose that's my piece.

8 minutes ago, Squidyfoo said:

As a player who has never done anything Ancient Fuel Weaver related or Celestial Champion related this post is very relatable. Hearing all this cool stuff that I can do from public servers and going on the wiki to find out how complicated it is... It's very overwhelming and I would have no idea it would even exist if it weren't for the wiki or other people.

When my friends and I first played the game we would explore the ocean a little bit, get gear from the lunar isle, explore thr caves, but mostly we just survived a full year. After looking at the wiki I can't believe how much stuff I've missed and while I'd love to do it, it's an overwhelming amount of stuff. Also my friends don't even play the game anymore because they want more direction rather than just mindlessly exploring. While you could argue mindlessly exploring and finding things out is what makes Don't Starve, you'd be right, but this is the reason they stopped playing. This is after 100-200 hours in the game they left. 

Also what you said about getting bored by sailing and doing the tasks for pearl I agree. It seemed like I was dedicating  everything to Pearl's quests when I first discovered it and when I got to the next level I was already bored.

So yeah I suppose that's my piece.

I also have one long time friend that stopped playing. She played the original don't starve and stopped because she said the game was too boring. I forgot how many times I tried to convince her to play, but when she hops in, we play for a day or so with a bunch of mods, and then next day she's nowhere to be found. She either logs in league of legends or other quick games that don't require long term investments. So I understand you.

This is how DS has always been. It just throws you in and lets you figure it out yourself, wiki or not. They have done a great job with character quotes to kind of help as well as the bestiary. I love that about the game. Take your time with it, play with mods and tweak the settings to your liking, it's actually very forgiving now to play the game. It definitely is overwhelming but once you figure it out and realize you don't have to do it right away it will clear up. Hamlet was the same way for me in DS but after getting the hang of it. . Absolute amazing experience.

I'll agree on some of the time -> reward things. Like the moths should give more than fragments. AT LEAST 1 full piece and then some bonus rolls for fragments. But that is just mines own opinion because I love to learn and figure things out. I do not like games that keep me on training wheels. Have you tried any external media to make some more friends? I hate steam. 

48 minutes ago, xDarkSoul18x said:

Have you tried any external media to make some more friends? I hate steam. 

Yess! I usually find people in public servers, through twitch, friends of friends etc.. But I think being friends with yourself is the best advice I can give you to make more dst friends *-*

Without friends the game almost feels unplayable for me. I think that learning to listen more and understand everyone is different has definetely helped me be more friendly and lose that generalization we all have online.

I’ve bought DST for probably at the very minimum 25 people on my Xbox Live friends list in hopes that I could maybe eventually have someone to play the game with and not have to try to play a Multiplayer Centric Game where ALL of the Content is Scaled up to accommodate for having Multiple Players- Alone.

Anyone who actually PLAYS DST ALONE is giving Klei this highly invalidated expression that Casual players (Aka the 25 people I’ve bought the game for..) actually ENJOY having these higher health mobs and these bosses with Multiplayer Mechanics (aka getting Overwhelmed by a boss that Also can endlessly spawn Minions) it’s just NOT a fun Single Player experience, and for the few people who DO enjoy it your actually in the Minority of players.. 

In fact I’d go so far as to claim that you’re even being a bit of a machivoest with it.

But after having bought the game for 25 or more people, and only having actually 3 who still play it- DST is too complicated, it’s a game of Long Term commitment, when Myself & most my friends just want some short burst play sessions.

WHEN I play DST I play by fiddling with game settings such as making starting seasons, season lengths and times of day all randomized so that the game can never fall into being too predictable of a gameplay loop.

If there’s one thing I absolutely HATE in almost all video games I play- it’s Repetitive gameplay.

Sadly that’s exactly what DSTs Questline (Pearls Tasks, Getting the Multicolored Easter Egg to activate Archives, killing Pearl Socketed CrabKing, finding all the Lunar Alters and placing them on Lunar Island to summon the Moon Boss)

Thats just the Surface- Caves has its own Questline too to reach Ancient FuelWeaver.

ONCE you beat these two bosses the game finally opens up new survival content by spewing mobs out of wild rifts (you can also turn these on in settings without having to do the hours worth of repetitive quest grind mentioned above)

Klei would probably benefit GREATLY by opening some Klei servers where rifts are toggled on Always regardless of the players day count.

I can say this BECAUSE Rift Content only ever interacts with RIFT CONTENT, So everything you had done prior to opening those Rifts, doesn’t even Matter… because you need Rift Materials, Weapons and Armors to deal with fighting Rift Mobs or dealing with Rift Weather Hazards.

The only exception to this is in the newly introduced Character Skill Trees- And only when you choose Lunar or Shadow based perk Affinities (which can only be unlocked by killing CC and AFW)

But Once you do kill them ONCE, Affinities will open permanently for all characters.

In my opinion (& because Klei pubs will never actually reach this far into gameplay..)  Klei should just add new servers to the game with Rift content enabled fromDay 1, and player Affinities already unlocked (only while playing on that rift enabled public server) to accommodate for them starting on Day 1.

Otherwise… there’s a TON of content hidden away in the game that players never actually get to experience, and the more content Klei adds that’s intended for these Post Rift worlds- The more people miss out on enjoying.

But again, that’s just my opinion and others might not share the same mindset.

One thing I can say for certain though is that I did a little experiment and also bought the single player version of Dont starve for several of those same friends who quit playing DST.. and the results is that they’ll still play single player DS, but NOT DST.

I predict that this is largely due in part to the game being more fairly balanced for playing alone and figuring the game and it’s mechanics out (enemies have significantly less health and die faster, things aren’t designed around Coop play) also of course people maybe just get Bored as heck of DSTs repetitive gameplay loop and World Generation- So the two single player DLCs that massively shake up the gameplay probably help a lot in keeping players engaged..

All that I can say for certain is that there has to be some serious reasons as to why my friends would abandon DST but yet still play and enjoy DS…

Perhaps it could be due to lag, I don’t really know- all that I do know is that I wish the single player game would get Re-Released but support two player coop, so I can actually play with a friend & then not feel Overwhelmed by Hours of long Quest grind, and content that’s scaled for up to 6 player groups.

The best way to farm thulecite is to pretend the moths don't exist. You mine the statues in the ruins and on the archives (they are two different places in the caves, the archives has the moths while the ruins don't), then kill the Fuelweaver boss to respawn the statues for more. The moths are mostly there to explain from where thulecite originated from lore-wise I think. 

And yeah, it is a lot of work. @.@
I recommend using the celestial portal to change to a more combat oriented character to help with the clockworks and the boss. Makes things much easier, this game is too time consuming to go around always choosing the harder option (challenging yourself is fun but in moderation me thinks).

4 minutes ago, Pruinae said:

The best way to farm thulecite is to pretend the moths don't exist. You mine the statues in the ruins and on the archives (they are two different places in the caves, the archives has the moths while the ruins don't), then kill the Fuelweaver boss to respawn the statues for more. The moths are mostly there to explain from where thulecite originated from lore-wise I think. 

And yeah, it is a lot of work. @.@
I recommend using the celestial portal to change to a more combat oriented character to help with the clockworks

Oh I see. My problem really is that I wanted more thulecite but I didn't know killing fuelweaver would give the statues back.

I like to play wx78 and they don't attack me, so I just clear everything haha. But after some time, the thucelite ran out and we needed more for a staff to kill the crab king.

We were at day 450, and all crowns we made were gone. But the moth are soooo slow omg it takes ages. Currently I am watching one dust her little home. It's been almost 2 hours now, and it's the second time I'm doing it haha. I guess I will start doing preparations for the fulweaver fight next :p

a bit tips i can drop here maybe to save up thulecite when u still wasnt able to kill fuel weaver is by crafting armor and staff using construction amulet.
it cut the cost by half. 
 u can get more green gem for the construction amulet by killing dragonfly. 

39 minutes ago, Pamela Bianchi said:

I guess I will start doing preparations for the fulweaver fight next :p

since u done Celestial champion i just recommend u to activate the rift. brightshade staff is awesome for fuelweaver fight.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

In my opinion (& because Klei pubs will never actually reach this far into gameplay..)  Klei should just add new servers to the game with Rift content enabled fromDay 1, and player Affinities already unlocked (only while playing on that rift enabled public server) to accommodate for them starting on Day 1.

Otherwise… there’s a TON of content hidden away in the game that players never actually get to experience, and the more content Klei adds that’s intended for these Post Rift worlds- The more people miss out on enjoying.

I absolutely agree - I'm kinda put off playing on pubs cause it's a lot of work to get to the point of the rifts, I hope that as we get more content and it can be compared a little more to Terrarias post-wall content

4 hours ago, Pamela Bianchi said:

Hi forums ♡

I've been playing this game for a long time now, and in an attempt to learn it and trying to experience everything out there, I have noticed certain things in the game are either a little off or too complicated. So here is my story, learning curves, found content and strategy implementations :D

I knew there was this thing called a moon island, but I am someone who rarely goes to the wiki or watch tutorials so I had no Idea of what to expect. Only thing I knew was that this boss called Celestial Champion lurked around that place, so I learned how to make a boat and manuver it. I was being very cautious because I have tried to sail before and crashed the boat on a rock, I also didn't know what the plank was for until now. With this in mind I was very slow and it took too many days to find it. I also didn't succeed the first time, it took many attempts just to learn boat management, and it is one of the most stressful things in the game since you have little vision ahead. I think there should be a way to see more in the game while sailing (I don't think this exists, correct me if I'm wrong because I never used the pirate hats, so I don't know what they do). I found this giant blue bird in the ocean and killed him, and I think his fight was super fun, he kept pushing my boat, so I had to row and punch at the same time, thankfully I had a lot of armors and healing, but he destroyed the mast on the boat >:@

Anyways, after finding the island, I was shocked completely, so many loot and so many different things around to find. My favorite are the trees and the walking carrots, they are super cute. I had no idea the sea kelp on the ground was plantable at first, so I used a lot of them as weapon. I was playing the librarian so she hints a lot of things, but my english is not the best, so most words I didn't know what they meant, as there isn't an official language in the game settings. I also think that the trip was very boring, but the results were amazing so overall everything was good. But still haven't seen any celestial champions.

After dying in many worlds, I discovered the hermit island. Which was a place I knew existed, but thought of it being a boss spawn, so I was very scary at first and brought a lot of armour haha. Then she starts complaining and saying she needs things, that's when I tried to fish for her, and clear her place around. I didn't noticed the lureplant was a quest, I was reciving these presents from her but I had no way of knowing why. She also randomly fished, and I thought I was supposed to throw fish food in the ocean so she would catch fish. Then I got bored and left. Upon leaving I went to the wiki because I was a little confused of the purpose of the island and found out a bunch of things to do. I had tried to build her house before, but I had no idea what was that item she needed to build (the little salt monsters shell) and it took me a lot of reading to understand everything. So I started reading and reading all the wiki and searching for the wrong things, and eventually I realised that I had to kill another boss called the crab king, also I needed to gain this pearls pearl, and 3 altars in the moon and there was this biome underground with puzzles and centipedes. I was so overwhelmed that I decided to stop playing for a bit. The game didn't tell that hermit quests existed and that to fight the crab I would need another 8 gems. Also the boat crashed in the first 5 seconds of the fight because his claws punched my boat and he created multiple holes in it too. They said the purple gem was the best gem to fight him, but then I thought how am I gonna repair the boat like that? Me and my friend started to make boat repair kits and went again, but the amount of holes was too much. I understand the addition of the scrapbook, but it was not useful in most of these situations, and having to open a book while simultaneously playing the game is not vey fun. So I decided to ask a streamer how to do it, and they said the easiest way to kill him was with wickerbottom bees and 3 flingomatics, but I needed a sun staff, which I didn't have. My feedback on this was: there are too many things that takes too long to know, and even if I knew a flingomatic existed, just the idea of using it in the fight made me realise how many things have passed unseen by me. Now I had to know everything, because I can't advance if I don't know certain things exists.

After asking another friend for help, he finally helped me and guided me through everything. So we killed the celestial champion and he gaved me the crown. But if it wasn't for him I would probably take months to learn all of this. This is too complicated, and I know that people like it, and I don't wanna anger no one, but my experience was very sad and frustated overall.

Another thing I was very sad about was the ruins. I had to first find salt, then mine nitre and rocks, then use the knowledge we gain to build these treats, then cook the treats, then go down there and feed the moths, only for them to die by a centipede or those purple worms that come kill you, then waiting for them to respawn, realise they take tok long to respawn. All of this to get 4 thucelite fragments. I don't wanna sound rude or too noisy, but I was so frustrated that I had to ask my brother what to do. And he said I had to kill the ancient fuelweaver to respawn the statues. I think there could be an easier way of progressing in the game instead of having to call my friends for help all the time or have to read giant texts in the wiki (I am writing a giant text here so my bad, it wasn't supposed to be that big).

So in the end, my idea of this whole post was the thucelite recreation being very boring and too slow, because there was nothinf to do down there expect wait. Also I was sad that the first time I did all of this was great but didn't compared to the first time I had to learn how to survive winter and summer( yes, I died and rolledback maybe 200 times because I kept dying to hounds, spiders and even sharks while trying to learn the game.)

If you can share your experience I would absolutely love it. And sorry for maybe complaining too much in this post. I have many other stories of failed adventures to share. So if maybe someone want to ask about other things and how they were to learn that would be great. Also special thanks to every streamer and friends that helped me, without them it would be impossible for me to keep playing haha.

What are your thoughts?

I also fight the sharkjaw recently with a friend, and both the malbaross and him are super fun fights. My first encounter with the malbatross was probably the most fun I had in thhe ocean beside the sharkjaw. The boot teleportation is very amazing so I dont have to pass the monkeys now in my world .

Believe me, you are living your best days in this game. When you know nothing it is the most fun. And the best way to learn having fun is playing with friends . I suffered everything you are passing now and I miss it so much. That way I ask Klei for a new DLC where I and my friends need to explore everything again and learn a lot of new things

One day you will look for this post and will  miss those difficult days. 

"Its the not the Destination, It's the journey." 

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’ve bought DST for probably at the very minimum 25 people on my Xbox Live friends list in hopes that I could maybe eventually have someone to play the game with and not have to try to play a Multiplayer Centric Game where ALL of the Content is Scaled up to accommodate for having Multiple Players- Alone.

Anyone who actually PLAYS DST ALONE is giving Klei this highly invalidated expression that Casual players (Aka the 25 people I’ve bought the game for..) actually ENJOY having these higher health mobs and these bosses with Multiplayer Mechanics (aka getting Overwhelmed by a boss that Also can endlessly spawn Minions) it’s just NOT a fun Single Player experience, and for the few people who DO enjoy it your actually in the Minority of players.. 

In fact I’d go so far as to claim that you’re even being a bit of a machivoest with it.

But after having bought the game for 25 or more people, and only having actually 3 who still play it- DST is too complicated, it’s a game of Long Term commitment, when Myself & most my friends just want some short burst play sessions.

WHEN I play DST I play by fiddling with game settings such as making starting seasons, season lengths and times of day all randomized so that the game can never fall into being too predictable of a gameplay loop.

If there’s one thing I absolutely HATE in almost all video games I play- it’s Repetitive gameplay.

Sadly that’s exactly what DSTs Questline (Pearls Tasks, Getting the Multicolored Easter Egg to activate Archives, killing Pearl Socketed CrabKing, finding all the Lunar Alters and placing them on Lunar Island to summon the Moon Boss)

Thats just the Surface- Caves has its own Questline too to reach Ancient FuelWeaver.

ONCE you beat these two bosses the game finally opens up new survival content by spewing mobs out of wild rifts (you can also turn these on in settings without having to do the hours worth of repetitive quest grind mentioned above)

Klei would probably benefit GREATLY by opening some Klei servers where rifts are toggled on Always regardless of the players day count.

I can say this BECAUSE Rift Content only ever interacts with RIFT CONTENT, So everything you had done prior to opening those Rifts, doesn’t even Matter… because you need Rift Materials, Weapons and Armors to deal with fighting Rift Mobs or dealing with Rift Weather Hazards.

The only exception to this is in the newly introduced Character Skill Trees- And only when you choose Lunar or Shadow based perk Affinities (which can only be unlocked by killing CC and AFW)

But Once you do kill them ONCE, Affinities will open permanently for all characters.

But again, that’s just my opinion and others might not share the same mindset.

One thing I can say for certain though is that I did a little experiment and also bought the single player version of Dont starve for several of those same friends who quit playing DST.. and the results is that they’ll still play single player DS, but NOT DST.

I predict that this is largely due in part to the game being more fairly balanced for playing alone and figuring the game and it’s mechanics out (enemies have significantly less health and die faster, things aren’t designed around Coop play) also of course people maybe just get Bored as heck of DSTs repetitive gameplay loop and World Generation- So the two single player DLCs that massively shake up the gameplay probably help a lot in keeping players engaged..

All that I can say for certain is that there has to be some serious reasons as to why my friends would abandon DST but yet still play and enjoy DS…

Perhaps it could be due to lag, I don’t really know- all that I do know is that I wish the single player game would get Re-Released but support two player coop, so I can actually play with a friend & then not feel Overwhelmed by Hours of long Quest grind, and content that’s scaled for up to 6 player groups.

Klei could add a option to allow us to choose if mobs will have DS level of difficulty or DST levels of difficulty.

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

In my opinion (& because Klei pubs will never actually reach this far into gameplay..)

you can still do FW during winter    

On 1/4/2024 at 4:16 PM, Mike23Ua said:

THIS is my biggest gripe with the game. It scales UP (I can understand that and get past it) with more people but not DOWN when solo or less. Playing DS in comparison to DST is a massive notice and more enjoyable in mine opinion. Because it's not like say fuelweaver or the new shark boss or something that have engaging mechanics or new guardian in 90% of the cases. Most of the fights are bait and hit(And that's fine, but can get tedious for bosses more specifically). I often just switch to wolf sometimes just because of the x2 damage for bosses. .

Archived