What are Warly's best dishes and Spices, and how do they change how you play?

My ultimate motivation is to learn what Warly typically needs from a garden.  I mean, Onion, Garlic, and Pepper seem critical.  Tomato maybe for Moquequa?  How important are Asparagus for soup and Corn for powdercakes?  Or does he spice jellybeans instead?  Or do you spice a several-course dinner right before you eat it?  Should you ever spice Beefalo Treats or Steamed Twigs?

I'm assuming that Volt Goat Chaud-Froid is just his insane best dish and Monster Tartare the worst.

Bone Bouillon, Moqueca, and Glow Berry Mousse seem like real winners as well.

Spice wise, Garlic Powder and Chili Flakes seem amazing.  The other two seem good, but 2nd tier.

There are a number like the stay-dry, stay-warm, and stay-cool recipes that seem like they could be good in various situations, or might not be worth the inventory space to carry around until you need them.

How early in the game does Warly typically take on Bee Queen for Bundling Wrap?  I'm starting to think ASAP.

It's just really different, all these great foods, vs the usual durability items that can be equipped or unequipped at will.  I find myself wondering, what if I get interrupted while my honey crystals are active?  Will I have time to spice my dinner before hounds arrive?

Does Warly like to base near glowberries?  Or does he travel the world, bundling, then do massive cooking sprees with bundled ingredients and bundle the finished dishes?  Bundle, bundle bundle...

Edited by Uncrushed
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, cybers2001 said:

Are you asking about Warly for himself, or Warly for a team (or prepping food before swapping to another char?)

Both/Either.  Sounds like you're saying many dishes are highly situational.  Like, if Wurt/Wortox are in the game, make Grim Galette?

15 hours ago, NoodlemanNed said:

i eat 2 meaty stews when warly gets hungry and for the rest of the game i make whatever dish happens to be convenient at the time

Why would you play Warly and not make his special dishes/spices?

10 minutes ago, Uncrushed said:

Both/Either.  Sounds like you're saying many dishes are highly situational.  Like, if Wurt/Wortox are in the game, make Grim Galette?

I suppose any foods that are good for the team is also good for Warly, but in terms of strictly buffs, I go for:

voltgoat jelly + pepper spice
fish cordon bleu + garlic spice
jellybeans + garlic spice
powdercake + pepper spice
powdercake + honey spice
glowberry mousse + honey spice

Moqueca and Bone Bouillon both became decent options thanks to the buffs to fishing (ie, Wickerbottom's fish book and the trawl nets).

The bearger bin also significantly increased viability for the dragon chili salad, asparagazpacho, and glowberry mousse, as you can now go through entire seasons with just those.

Though I still say they are somewhat situational. You still need to have the rich life to be able to replace a thermal stone entirely with temperature foods, and Moqueca and Bone Bouillon are overkill hunger-wise for pretty much any character besides Wolfgang and Warly.

Edited by cybers2001

for farming i overall make huge harvest in spring and autumn/summer to farm garlic, pepper, corn, dragon fruit(dragon chilli salad), sparragus and other veggies for filler or for sanity dishes or moqueca

it makes me change my way of playing because sometimes i use full clothing (beefalo hat/cc crown+bearger coat) with the salad dish

i like to go once every many in-game years to the pond biome to fish during dusk and night and kill frogs during day time so i can cook the water resistance dish

glow berry mousse comes in handy during long winter when i want to use head slot clothing and really cool to clean the ruins with full dreadstone armor set so it regenerates more than is wasted, never goes under 85% (i also use garlic and chilly buffs to fight in the ruins)

i sometimes farm barnacles if i feel like doing it to get many stacks of ingredients with fish value

i love warly for how you can enjoy many part of content that you wont bother as other characters or that are completely useless as some of them. Is something that makes me sad about playing wanda, you only need NF and honey to keep playing so basically you ignore a lot of fun content pieces

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cybers2001 said:

voltgoat jelly + pepper spice

jellybeans + garlic spice

Ah, makes sense those go together: Offsense-offense and defense-defense.  Chow them as a meal before a boss fight, then as-needed during.

fish cordon bleu + garlic spice

Huh.  I'd think the bleu would be for Spring.  Like, "I'm too wet, I'll eat a bleu."  But I guess you can alternate between this and jellybeans for defense and just use the jelly/spice for offense.

powdercake + pepper spice
powdercake + honey spice

This is interesting that you don't powdercake the garlic b/c you have it covered above.

glowberry mousse + honey spice

So you use it for chores, not fights.  I guess I use it for exploring too, but it's nice to keep your sanity-hat or helm on and not have to drop and pick up a lantern.

Moqueca and Bone Bouillon both became decent options thanks to the buffs to fishing (ie, Wickerbottom's fish book and the trawl nets).

Got it.

The bearger bin also significantly increased viability for the dragon chili salad and asparagazpacho, as you can now go through entire seasons with just those.

I love the Insulated Pack.  A Krampus Sack with Bundling Wrap are technically better, but the Pack is so darn convenient.  You can see what's in it, don't have to constantly unbundle/rebundle.

29 minutes ago, Uncrushed said:

Huh.  I'd think the bleu would be for Spring.  Like, "I'm too wet, I'll eat a bleu."  But I guess you can alternate between this and jellybeans for defense and just use the jelly/spice for offense.

In my case, I only use bleu when I'm not wearing an eyebrella, and the only reason I'm not wearing an eyebrella in the rain is when I'm fighting bosses. Voltgoat jelly + fish cordon bleu is a really good combo because you can fight in the rain without getting wet, and because the enemy is wet, you get bonus damage from the jelly.

So since I get pepper spice from the jelly, naturally I get my garlic spice from the bleu.

29 minutes ago, Uncrushed said:

This is interesting that you don't powdercake the garlic b/c you have it covered above.

So you use it for chores, not fights.  I guess I use it for exploring too, but it's nice to keep your sanity-hat or helm on and not have to drop and pick up a lantern.

Yep! Nice to have easy access to the spices without having food that can spoil. If I ever need to pop a jellybean, chances are I need the damage resistance, too.

• Sanity 1

3 minutes ago, arubaro said:

for farming i overall make huge harvest in spring and autumn/summer to farm garlic, pepper, corn, dragon fruit(dragon chilli salad), sparragus and other veggies for filler or for sanity dishes or moqueca

Did you leave Toma Root out of your must-have garden crops by accident, or are you saying you only make Moqueca when the random tomato appears?

It makes me change my way of playing because sometimes i use full clothing (beefalo hat/cc crown+bearger coat) with the salad dish

Interesting!  I guess if the thermal stone runs out, you can always chow a Dragon Chili, but if your last Dragon Chili runs out, you need to burn something ASAP or freeze to death.

i like to go once every many in-game years to the pond biome to fish during dusk and night and kill frogs during day time so i can cook the water resistance dish

i sometimes farm barnacles if i feel like doing it to get many stacks of ingredients with fish value

What I hear you saying is Bundling Wrap.

glow berry mousse comes in handy during long winter when i want to use head slot clothing and really cool to clean the ruins with full dreadstone armor set so it regenerates more than is wasted, never goes under 85% (i also use garlic and chilly buffs to fight in the ruins)

I thought that dish seemed pretty amazing.  I'm gonna be picking every glow-berry now.

i love warly for how you can enjoy many part of content that you wont bother as other characters or that are completely useless as some of them. Is something that makes me sad about playing wanda, you only need NF and honey to keep playing so basically you ignore a lot of fun content pieces

I'm excited about that!  I've given myself a bunch of challenges because I'm not hugely into boss fights and I like exploring different areas of the world and having to play differently.  Warly has a pretty steep learning curve though, with his different recipes and mechanics to learn, but also because of his food limitations.  You can't just chow random stuff when hungry.  You have to know the recipes you need given what you've got.  You have to be pretty good to play Warly well in a multiplayer server where you can't pause the game to look up literally every recipe in 2 crock pots.

I think I need to fight Bee Queen in Spring with the voltgoat jelly + pepper spice and fish cordon bleu + garlic spice to get Bundling Wrap.  That feels like the Warly thing to do.

I spent probably 50 hours the past week updating the Wiki as I tried to make simple guides to farming and crock pot.  I learned a ton of stuff: Creamy Potato Puree is trades the hunger and health of 2 cooked potatoes, plus a garlic and a filler for the same amount of sanity, so not that good.  Onion is a better crop than potato or garlic, which means you shouldn't waste it on Salsa Fresca.  That makes Vegetable Stinger the best garden-crop sanity dish, plus it allows for very lazy gardening as every six random seeds will give you the ingredients for this dish, likely as not.  Pumpkin is more nutritious than Durian for Wurt!

One thing I'm still struggling with is that fruit-filler might not be worthless.  Glow Berry Mousse seems like the best use of random fruit, making fruit a useful part of Warly gardening.  Do you grow any fruits in your crop rotations?  Which ones?  Watermelon?  Pomegranate?

6 minutes ago, cybers2001 said:

In my case, I only use bleu when I'm not wearing an eyebrella, and the only reason I'm not wearing an eyebrella in the rain is when I'm fighting bosses. Voltgoat jelly + fish cordon bleu is a really good combo because you can fight in the rain without getting wet, and because the enemy is wet, you get bonus damage from the jelly.

Ahhhh.  Makes total sense.  Eyebrella is so great!  In multiplayer though, one person gets the eyebrella and everyone else is running around making Rain Hats, carrying umbrellas, standing under trees, and/or getting wet to various degrees.  Now that I think about it, handing it out in an emergency situation with garlic spice is rare enough that a little inefficiency is fine.  The worse the need, the more likely that you're also fighting, so it all works out.

This is really helpful, thank you!

11 minutes ago, Uncrushed said:

Ahhhh.  Makes total sense.  Eyebrella is so great!  In multiplayer though, one person gets the eyebrella and everyone else is running around making Rain Hats

use hostile flares           

Edited by grm9

35 minutes ago, Uncrushed said:

Did you leave Toma Root out of your must-have garden crops by accident, or are you saying you only make Moqueca when the random tomato appears?

i usually mix the seeds with dragon fruit ones to get the combo so i end up using the tomaroots for salsa fresca, veggetable stinger and moquecas

Interesting!  I guess if the thermal stone runs out, you can always chow a Dragon Chili, but if your last Dragon Chili runs out, you need to burn something ASAP or freeze to death.

if you wear cloths you dont use thermal stones because they dont stack. I eat another dragon chilli salad when i start getting damaged by freeze

What I hear you saying is Bundling Wrap.

is mandatory as warly so you can have a stock of different ingredients plus having your dishes ready to eat. In late you use bearger bin to carry 6 dishes

i always kill BQ in the 1st spring with every character but as warly is easier, i keep 1 volt goat horn for that fight to get access to the bundle wrap. Also i like to have the recipe so i can prepare a bunch of food and go to the ruins in summer to finish the cleaning i started in autumn

Edited by arubaro

The Good Crops

I usually request whoever's farming to grow Potatoes, Toma roots, Onions, Garlic and Pepper. The best thing that's ever happened to Warly is the fact that they are combos (Toma root + Potato | Pepper+Garlic+Onion)

The potatoes are mostly there to serve as fertilizer for the toma roots, good if there is no Wortox or salves or anything and the Wormwood needs to heal quickly, but that's a rather rare scenario. 

Dragonfruit is also rather useful, but when skeletons walk up to your base the entire time in the form of new players, dragonpie seems less appealing than bone boullion. You lose out on 8 health for double the hunger. Good for crepes though.

Asparagus should also be grown if you can stockpile it and bundle it for summer. I love just sipping on asparagazpacho the entirety of summer.

Wouldnt say no to a fruit or two for the rare times where i have butter for crepes. Moqueca is more reliable, though.

The Bad Crops

Im not a fan of corn, pumpkins, eggplants, carrots or any of the weeds or fruits aside from dfruit. Bananas will fill their role anyway. You CAN grow these if you really need vegan hunger for Wurt, but i wouldnt go out of my way to farm them. Stone fruit and kelp just exist and fix that.

The Un-Crops

Barnacles, Volt Goat Horns, Honey and Salt.

Barnacles

• Very farmable mid to lategame
  • Moqueca
  • Did i mention moqueca yet
  • The only reason i'd ever farm this is for moqueca
  • Moqueca anyone?
  • If you harvest during daytime your entire boat bridge explodes.

Volt Goat Horns

• Very farmable after a lunar island rush
  • Volt Goat Chaud Froid

Honey

• Chaud Froid part two
  • Easier time mining and chopping, especially Marble.
  • Some new dishes, i guess.

Salt

• Salt boxes
  • Extra health on dish isnt that useful, i'd just make salt boxes unless you have a giant surplus.
  • Thanks 1
  • Hunger 1

Every single thing Warly can make is good, although fish cordon bleu, fresh fruit crepes, grim galette, monster tartare, and seasoning salt are typically less overall useful than the rest due to their effects and/or cost. Other than that it's hard to say what his best dish is, especially since they're all used in completely different situations from each-other.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Every single thing Warly can make is good, although fish cordon bleu, fresh fruit crepes, grim galette, monster tartare, and seasoning salt are typically less overall useful than the rest due to their effects and/or cost. Other than that it's hard to say what his best dish is, especially since they're all used in completely different situations from each-other.

Fish Cordon Bleu is definitely my second-most consumed Warly dish.

• Like 1

I'm starting to think that for healing/sanity foods, Warly wants a bundling wrap of 4 different foods.  He can't just chow a stack of Pierogies for health, but he can chow on one or two each of Moqueca, Surf 'n Turf, Fish Sticks, and Pierogi.  For sanity, Cooked Green Shrooms are out, one or two each of Jelly Salad, Soothing Tea, and any of the 33 sanity dishes like Vegetable Stinger or Banana Shakes.  Or I guess he could recoup health, then use Grim Galette so long as his sanity is above zero.  There are so many 60 health options and the best sanity options are 50 and 45, then a bunch of 33's.  Oh, but he could probably drink a stack of Soothing Tea without penalty.  Hmm...

I soloed Bee Queen last night in the rain at the end of spring with 3 Beekeeper's Hats, a ham bat, 4 blow darts, 16 healing salve, 3 garlic Pierogi, 3 Volt Goat Chaud Froid, 2 garlic Bleu, and one 70% pan flute.  Chaud Froid is AWESOME in the rain, but wish I saved one horn for a Morning Star.  I think I rolled back 8 times.  It was hard AF, but I got it done.  Dealing 1,000 points of damage with 4 darts felt amazing.  I started this world a long time ago and think I stupidly cooked the mandrakes.  I should probably start a new world, but I like this worldgen and it's not a speed run.  I'll be fighting Klaus as much as possible for another mandrake.  There was no time to grow peppers for flakes, or go to the ruins for Thulecite Crowns to avoid stunlock or pave straight roads or build walls, or make a Dark Sword.

In some ways, this was easier than solo Wolfgang (pre-rework).  That's pretty cool!  Also, Wolfgang must be insanely good with Warly's foods.

OK, I'm off to gather stacks of everything.

8 hours ago, ShyRasan123 said:

Barnacles

Do you just paddle around until you find Sea Weeds in a good location, then build permanent boats between them?  Harvest at night with a non-extinguishable light and a Razor?  Do you ever relocate to a sea stack?  They seem too hard to kill for that to be very practical.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uncrushed said:

Do you just paddle around until you find Sea Weeds in a good location, then build permanent boats between them?  Harvest at night with a non-extinguishable light and a Razor?  Do you ever relocate to a sea stack?  They seem too hard to kill for that to be very practical.

Usually while looking for other things like moon quay, i find some sea stacks, then kill them to relocate to whatever is closest to base.

• Sanity 1

49 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

How do you get the ingredients? Are you in a super late world where you swapped characters multiple times to get a merm farm?

Just set up a coastal fish farm with piers and trawl nets. I have to come back there every so often or the nets break and there's rot everywhere. It's pretty OP.

As for frog legs... I easily get a stack or more every frog rain just by having them fight moose/goose, then I bundle wrap it and throw it into storage.

Edited by cybers2001
  • Like 1

Do you ever relocate to a sea stack?  They seem too hard to kill for that to be very practical.

Find some sea weeds all bunched together and park your boat and wait for night to start, then kill as many as you can before sun rises as they won't wake each other up when being attacked. Plan your kills so that some of the ones remaining alive are isolated from the group and thus can be stunlocked during the day due to the surprisingly short range of their seed shells.

image.png.22d51539926c82972c481a927461ecf3.png

You may need to tank some hits to the noggin to prevent leaks if you want to do it in a timely manner.

Edited by finn from human
  • Sanity 1

They seem too hard to kill for that to be very practical.

In a world years go I really liked using Walter's slingshot to take them out afar! Abigail also works really well. This is if you're willing to switch characters.

Pan flutes should also be able to get the job done!

This is absolutely overkill, but about the topic of Moqueca, in this same world I had a quest to make myself a bunch of Moqueca just because of how much I love it as a food! I ended up making 800-1000 moqueca.

There are two main reasons why I love Moqueca, 1. It's an "All Stats Up!" food, and 2. All it's ingredients can be mass produced (barnacles, tomatoes, onions, honey)

This world was modified to generate at a larger size, but I ended up getting this golden spot of a clump of sea stacks and making my super farm here, haha

image.png.0749479f730d4c927d28e059fbba3e35.png

I would say the most annoying part is maintaning/upkeeping the farm. If you don't want them all turning into Sea Weeds you'll need to harvest before every full moon, or every 7.5-12 days if you have constant full moons from say the Moonstorm.

On paper it does not sound so bad to spend 4~ minutes harvesting every 20 days(160 minutes) but it got really tedious haha, and others would play on the world so that was another issue. I ended up just switching to Wormwood and harvesting the Sea Weeds themselves instead of Sea Sprouts. (I was going to need to become Wormwood anyways for the mass onion/tomato farming)

Funnily this did take quite a while so the world went dead in activity within our friend group and so I never even got to eat more than 10 of those moqueca.

With the inclusion of the Polar bearger bin in recent updates, I am VERY tempted to do this again, hopefully at a faster rate! I don't expect you to do what I did at all, I just wanted to talk about my experience here and hopefully you found it intriguing/useful in some ways, haha.

• Sanity 1