Jump to content

Help me with inventory organization for fuelweawer fight (or other advices)


Recommended Posts

I'm fighting the Fuelweaver for the first time and that's the recording of my 1st attempt.

I watched some videos with suggestions on youtube surely but I think I have skill problem. I uderstand the battle flow and what I should do on different phases, however it seems like I panic and unable to switch items fast.

So I have a goal to learn how to mitigate these problems.

My problems as I see:

  • I can't control sanity, I don't notice when it drops (or notice it too late when I'm already attacked by shadow creatures/paralyze)
  • I keep in mind so many things like I need to charge magiluminesce or it will disappear, I don't have infinite armor so should take care of it, I need to eat food for health and cacti for sanity, I need to switch to weapons... So I'm overwhelmed.
  • No habit of using keaboard for accessing items
  • Hard to find quickly the item I need in invetory
  • Teleporting when already not in cage/teleporting too close to Fuelweawer so he'll strike me anyways
  • I do thing which I shouldn't, e.g. switching random equipment, running too much when I can fight back, or eating not what I suppose to eat (this is what I call panic).

I need:

  • Perfect inventory: what items should be in which slot?
  • Help with inventory managements in case item is destroyed/I switched from 1 to 2 to 3 and now I have mess
  • Any ideas on controlling health and sanity some other way than looking at my icons? E.g."eat food after 2 strikes"
  • What equipment to use from what I have? (dreadarmor helmet, bee queen crown, tulecite crown)
  • What is the best reaction when he starts protecting himself but small creatures not appeated yet? 
  • How to not forget removing nightmare amulet?
  • How to use lazy explorer less? (I've tried staing close to the Gate but he casts cage anyways)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Klays.exe said:

if you have problems with inventory, I recommend this mod:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2204580556&searchtext=bye+bye

Thank you for your advice, but I play without modes intentionally so this is not an option for me. 

UPD: ahaha I actually looked at it,I think it's good for training not to keep trash.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, shaurun said:

Perfect inventory: what items should be in which slot?

Opinionated. The only thing that's objective is that gear will attempt to go in the leftmost slot, so if you have no open holes and fill your gear from left to right you can manage it much more predictably and easier.

Personally I rebound my inventory keys to something along the lines of <unbound> <mouse4> <mouse5> <mouse7> <mouse8> <1> <2> <3> <4> <5>. If I opened the game again I would immediately remember as I go to press a button, but it's something like that.

1 hour ago, shaurun said:

Help with inventory managements in case item is destroyed/I switched from 1 to 2 to 3 and now I have mess

Just practice. Have each hotkey'd slot have a unique item, and have spares to the right. When things break move them around when you're able to.

1 hour ago, shaurun said:

Any ideas on controlling health and sanity some other way than looking at my icons? E.g."eat food after 2 strikes"

Yeah you can do that. AFW does 100 per hit so just do some math on whatever armor and healing you're using.

1 hour ago, shaurun said:

What equipment to use from what I have? (dreadarmor helmet, bee queen crown, tulecite crown)

Those are all good. BQC is especially good, although it's a bit frail, expensive, and poorly protecting so I wouldn't use it unless I paired it with something like a thulecite suit. 

1 hour ago, shaurun said:

How to not forget removing nightmare amulet?

Have someone else in the room with you only paying attention to that, and make them punch you really really hard whenever you forget. You will learn quickly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, shaurun said:

My problems as I see:

  • I can't control sanity, I don't notice when it drops (or notice it too late when I', already attacked by shadow creatures/paralyze)
  • I need to eat food for health and cacti for sanity, I need to switch to weapons... So I'm overwhelmed.

I struggled with micromanaging too many buttons too for FW in the past so i started bringing only 1 food that covers both HP and Sanity.

Like creamy potato puree, the hassle of farming and cooking this dish is more than worth it for difficult fights like FW. Now u only need 1 inventory slot for both stats. Personally idc if i “overheal” hp or sanity this way because one less inventory slot to keep within clicking range makes it worthwhile. 

Its also a vegetable dish which means it has a quick eating animation unlike the honey nuggets ur using and 1 potato puree gives more sanity than 2 cooked cacti so that saves time too. 

——

like captain rage said, brightshade gear make this fight a lot more manageable, especially the staff which will seek out and destroy both woven shadows and the nightmare hands if u have amulet on. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

Brightshade gear makes the Ancienct Fuelweaver fight much easier.

Probably but as a Maxwell I want Fuelweawer equipment ASAP.

10 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Opinionated. The only thing that's objective is that gear will attempt to go in the leftmost slot, so if you have no open holes and fill your gear from left to right you can manage it much more predictably and easier.

Personally I rebound my inventory keys to something along the lines of <unbound> <mouse4> <mouse5> <mouse7> <mouse8> <1> <2> <3> <4> <5>. If I opened the game again I would immediately remember as I go to press a button, but it's something like that.

Just practice. Have each hotkey'd slot have a unique item, and have spares to the right. When things break move them around when you're able to.

Yeah you can do that. AFW does 100 per hit so just do some math on whatever armor and healing you're using.

Those are all good. BQC is especially good, although it's a bit frail, expensive, and poorly protecting so I wouldn't use it unless I paired it with something like a thulecite suit. 

Have someone else in the room with you only paying attention to that, and make them punch you really really hard whenever you forget. You will learn quickly.

Those are solid advices, thank you! I think I can reassign some keys. I've also watched one guy guide for this fight invetory specifics and he's suggesting to keep weapon at slot 1, and wind caller staff ini slot 2 and lazy explorer in hand, and remember not to ever exchange weapon to wind caller to not maky yourself condused. Which is also a decent suggestion I'll try this evening.

Will update how it goes :D.

 

5 hours ago, Ohan said:

I struggled with micromanaging too many buttons too for FW in the past so i started bringing only 1 food that covers both HP and Sanity.

Like creamy potato puree, the hassle of farming and cooking this dish is more than worth it for difficult fights like FW. Now u only need 1 inventory slot for both stats. Personally idc if i “overheal” hp or sanity this way because one less inventory slot to keep within clicking range makes it worthwhile. 

Its also a vegetable dish which means it has a quick eating animation unlike the honey nuggets ur using and 1 potato puree gives more sanity than 2 cooked cacti so that saves time too. 

——

like captain rage said, brightshade gear make this fight a lot more manageable, especially the staff which will seek out and destroy both woven shadows and the nightmare hands if u have amulet on. 

 

Oh I'm so gratefult to see someone relates this difficulties when you're learning. Fuelweawer is tought. I suppose I would try micromanagement with food cause otherwise I would have to postpone the fight be 1-2 seasons which I don't want to do. But it's a good idea to pick food which help restore both health and sanity at the same time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Firstly, practice makes perfection. Also, save right before the fight and roll back if needed.

Secondly, since you still have management issues, use the pause button every time the FW does an "special attack", in moments such as:

  • When he uses bone cage, pause and check if you need to be out of it, if not, just attack/tank him, otherwise find your lazy explorer and get out of there;
  • When he uses his shield, pause to check your sanity, if its low, raise it again, then use the purple amulet to seek the shadow hands, if you get caught by a nightmare creature, remove the amulet and let it do an attack and dodge it;
  • When he summons his little things, pause and find your wheater pains;
  • When he does that mind control, pause and check if you are wearing the shadow amulet, if you are, remove it, hence why you want to raise your sanity before putting it in.

Personally, I'd cut out on the Yellow amulet and the dreadstone helm.

Reasons:

  • Yellow Amulet: with the amount of tanking that you are doing, it is better to use a thulecite suit all the time.
  • Dreadstone Helm: I know it sounds weird, but it has a massive sanity drain, so I also recomend the Thulecite crown or the Bee queen crown(And now since you are wearing a better body armor, the bee queen crown will tank better). I forgor that you are Maxwell.

Food management:

  • Jelly beans as always, when you stop hearing its healing sound, check if you already are at full health, otherwise, eat another one;
  • Cooked cactus is great, but only 15 sanity at a time, I'd suggest to make some other sanity dishes that give 30 or more sanity at a time;
  • For healing, as other people have said, it may be better to use veggies dishes that heal, since they have a quicker animation, or even cooked potatoes/tomatoes, as they heal 20 health each (if you are gonna use either of those two, cook them at a star in the arena before the fight so they are fresher);
  • Please, don't take gloomer goop, it heals you but takes too much sanity, which means that you will be vulnerable to his mind control attack.

I think that it is all that you are going to need, good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The strategy was not ideal. It seems you intended to do this fight by kiting the fuelweaver and yet not only did you have a single lazy explorer but it was already at 60% before the fight even started! When phase 2 started it was at 40% so the fight was already doomed for you.

I'd recommend an easier strategy where you simply tank the Fuelweaver: bring 3/4 thulecite suits and decent healing food/jellybeans (keep a close eye on your hp, especially since you're playing as Maxwell).

As for the woven shadows, you can try to bring Fuelweaver to an edge of the arena before phase 2 starts. That way it will be easier to prevent it from eating any minion since they spawn around the gateway and not at the edges.

You also cannot allow yourself to be insanity stunned in phase 2 when Fuelweaver is about to eat incoming woven shadows. But it seems you're struggling with keeping your sanity up so you should not spawn shadow minions in this fight. After all, you only want to be insane momentarily to clear the unseen hands in phase 2 (nightmare amulet).

 

And.. avoid using the dreadstone helm in this fight since it drains your sanity when it is damaged.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ill just make weapon extra weapon on the ground so i dont mess up my inventory. because if u place two weapon and one break it will mess up ur placement of items ill just fill up my inventory with junk like split stack twigs/grass and throw bunch of extra weapon on the ground.. same with armor but usually i carry extra since they just eqipped right away ill place it in the last inventory slot after bunch of filler inventory junk.if one break ill take another to fill the empty slot.
inventory will have . weapon// hp food// sanity food// weather pain//magi or nmare amulet// nmfuel// junk// - //junk// extra armor//

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Valase said:

Firstly, practice makes perfection. Also, save right before the fight and roll back if needed.

Secondly, since you still have management issues, use the pause button every time the FW does an "special attack", in moments such as:

  • When he uses bone cage, pause and check if you need to be out of it, if not, just attack/tank him, otherwise find your lazy explorer and get out of there;
  • When he uses his shield, pause to check your sanity, if its low, raise it again, then use the purple amulet to seek the shadow hands, if you get caught by a nightmare creature, remove the amulet and let it do an attack and dodge it;
  • When he summons his little things, pause and find your wheater pains;
  • When he does that mind control, pause and check if you are wearing the shadow amulet, if you are, remove it, hence why you want to raise your sanity before putting it in.

Personally, I'd cut out on the Yellow amulet and the dreadstone helm.

Reasons:

  • Yellow Amulet: with the amount of tanking that you are doing, it is better to use a thulecite suit all the time.
  • Dreadstone Helm: I know it sounds weird, but it has a massive sanity drain, so I also recomend the Thulecite crown or the Bee queen crown(And now since you are wearing a better body armor, the bee queen crown will tank better). I forgor that you are Maxwell.

Food management:

  • Jelly beans as always, when you stop hearing its healing sound, check if you already are at full health, otherwise, eat another one;
  • Cooked cactus is great, but only 15 sanity at a time, I'd suggest to make some other sanity dishes that give 30 or more sanity at a time;
  • For healing, as other people have said, it may be better to use veggies dishes that heal, since they have a quicker animation, or even cooked potatoes/tomatoes, as they heal 20 health each (if you are gonna use either of those two, cook them at a star in the arena before the fight so they are fresher);
  • Please, don't take gloomer goop, it heals you but takes too much sanity, which means that you will be vulnerable to his mind control attack.

I think that it is all that you are going to need, good luck!

Thank you for such a detailed advice. I'd be a bit dissappointed if I have to use pause-gaming because you know, on real servers nobody will give me a pause.

I came to conclusion to remove yellow amulet and dreadstone helm both, because for dreadstone helm I care tou much of it's durability which makes me to unfocus on important things. As for yeallow amulet, I didn't had any body slot armor besides half broken tulecite piece, and after multiple tries I understood that I need to rollback much earlier and prepare some armor because in chaos I really receive a lot of damage. And magilumicence doesn't help at all.

As for healing food, yes I think I need to do extra preparations.

19 hours ago, Waynel said:

The strategy was not ideal. It seems you intended to do this fight by kiting the fuelweaver and yet not only did you have a single lazy explorer but it was already at 60% before the fight even started! When phase 2 started it was at 40% so the fight was already doomed for you.

I'd recommend an easier strategy where you simply tank the Fuelweaver: bring 3/4 thulecite suits and decent healing food/jellybeans (keep a close eye on your hp, especially since you're playing as Maxwell).

As for the woven shadows, you can try to bring Fuelweaver to an edge of the arena before phase 2 starts. That way it will be easier to prevent it from eating any minion since they spawn around the gateway and not at the edges.

You also cannot allow yourself to be insanity stunned in phase 2 when Fuelweaver is about to eat incoming woven shadows. But it seems you're struggling with keeping your sanity up so you should not spawn shadow minions in this fight. After all, you only want to be insane momentarily to clear the unseen hands in phase 2 (nightmare amulet).

 

And.. avoid using the dreadstone helm in this fight since it drains your sanity when it is damaged.

At first I thought "my preparations are good, just no skill". Then after 15 tries I found your suggestions reasonable... I've already prepared tulecite armor, and now I'm growing patotos. :D

Honestly I don't understand how to lure the Fuelweawer to the edges. One video told to use weather pan on boss immediately when he starts healing which I do now. But he staysh in the middle then. He goes adter me later when I stop spamming wirlwinds.

12 hours ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Two lureplants, lazy explorer or be Wortox and a houndius shootius kekw

Technically I have around 200 gunpowder but I want to do it fair.

13 hours ago, prettynuggets said:

ill just make weapon extra weapon on the ground so i dont mess up my inventory. because if u place two weapon and one break it will mess up ur placement of items ill just fill up my inventory with junk like split stack twigs/grass and throw bunch of extra weapon on the ground.. same with armor but usually i carry extra since they just eqipped right away ill place it in the last inventory slot after bunch of filler inventory junk.if one break ill take another to fill the empty slot.
inventory will have . weapon// hp food// sanity food// weather pain//magi or nmare amulet// nmfuel// junk// - //junk// extra armor//

I think it would be too many run around activities, wouldn't it?

19 hours ago, Waynel said:

When phase 2 started it was at 40% so the fight was already doomed for you.

Also I had another lazy explorer with 100% but I think it was on the floor. Now I'll prepare 3 just in case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, shaurun said:

I think it would be too many run around activities, wouldn't it?

never found any problem from that actually. or else u can just bring the ingredients and make one as it breaks. but stopping to craft one sometime harder than pick up item on the ground

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, prettynuggets said:

never found any problem from that actually. or else u can just bring the ingredients and make one as it breaks. but stopping to craft one sometime harder than pick up item on the ground

No I suppose I can't afford crafting on Fuelweawer boss fight. I mean just for this particular boss, when I put something on ground like weather pen or lazy explorer, it becomes a critical problem it appeared on the ground and not in my actual inventory. However different armomr pieces on the groud are okay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get a few weather pains to keep fuelweaver weathered whenever I get mind controlled or caged while he's doing casting anims for that till the woven shadows appear then i just blast him one by one tornado and on last moment after his mind control stuns me, one or two lazy explorers for safe measure, plenty of sanity food to top off the sanity loss and amulet shenanigans, thulecite crowns to keep nightmares and fuelweaver at bay with shields to not burst me immediately and either a yellow amulet with some fuel or thulecite suits. Always don't forget about a nightmare amulet, but green caps also could work if you don't want nightmare spawns more active.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, shaurun said:

Honestly I don't understand how to lure the Fuelweawer to the edges. One video told to use weather pan on boss immediately when he starts healing which I do now. But he staysh in the middle then. He goes adter me later when I stop spamming wirlwinds.

You can simply fight him at the edge from the get go like I do here:

 

The takeaway here is that you want the AFW to be at an edge before the next woven shadow/unseen hand wave starts. Not only does it prevent woven shadows to spawn right next to AFW's mouth in a 360° surround, but as they will make their way to the AFW they will gather to form a blob that you can take out in one weather pain swipe.

The woven shadows and unseen hands have independent cooldowns so you want to kill the last minion roughly at the same time you kill the last hand (killing the last minion first rather than the last hand is ideal as it will allow you to get extra hits before the next hands are spawned).

Once you know these concepts, the "standard" AFW fight suddenly becomes very easy to execute with a few practice fights. As you can see on my part, the fight wasn't really mechanically intensive and yet it's doable with a single lazy explorer and weather pain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Waynel said:

Once you know these concepts, the "standard" AFW fight suddenly becomes very easy to execute with a few practice fights. As you can see on my part, the fight wasn't really mechanically intensive and yet it's doable with a single lazy explorer and weather pain.

Man, tell me the truth, how many tries it took from you to become this pro? You video is ideal. No panic, all moves are confident, you know what you do.

 

I've already spent 30 tries (I had a break to create puree, prepare tulecite armor and 2 more lazy exploreres so my last 10 tries were more "prepared"). I've tried your luring strategy. It happens to be too complicated to make him follow you by some line cause he deaggros, and also I often unable to manage this last hand-last dark item. He also is able to eat his pest shadlings so I rage-quit multiple times cause I feel like he heals more that I deal damage.  

He's very hard I don't know how many more tries it would take... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, shaurun said:

Man, tell me the truth, how many tries it took from you to become this pro? You video is ideal. No panic, all moves are confident, you know what you do.

The fight is very hard/seemingly impossible until you get your first kill. It took me a bit more than 10 tries iirc to get my 1st Fuelweaver kill… and that was with Wolfgang only! (the AFW was eating a lot…)

But once you kill him once, you kill him twice… and you get the gist of it. The fight becomes easy.

Also, this is imo the hardest boss fight in DST so it’s a given that more practice fights will need to be done and that you will fumble with it initially.

4 hours ago, shaurun said:

It happens to be too complicated to make him follow you by some line cause he deaggros

That will happen when a minion gets too close so you need to monitor this closely and anticipate it by quickly switching to the weather pain. This happens to me at 1:15 for instance, the first few minions are a bit disconnected from the “herd” which is a bit annoying.

4 hours ago, shaurun said:

I often unable to manage this last hand-last dark item

I honestly made it seem too complicated when I described it. Just kill all the hands quickly after all the minions are dead and run to one of the three corners like I do in the video. If he tries to insanity stun you while you clear the hands (which is actually nice because he temporarily stops from chasing you): quickly switch to armor and switch back to the amulet.

Using the keyboard for shortcuts can also alleviate the inventory management part of the fight. I like to use 1 and 2 to switch between weapon/lazy/weather pain, for the rest I stick to the mouse (nightmare amulet/armor, healing food/cactus).

 

And lastly, credits to Joeshmocoolstuff for being the first person to ever mention that lure strategy:

 

Edit: There is indeed a bug (?) where the AFW will sometimes deaggro and head straight for the center of the arena. In my experience this happens when I immediately teleport after having been ensnared in a bone cage. But with the strategy abovementioned, you are not in a hurry to tp out of the cage but you can stay in it and use the weather pain from there (you just don't want to be too close to the AFW when you do it since you will get stunned as long as you hit it while he's protected by the bubble which isn't great). I have also noticed that the deaggro cannot occur if you tp out of the bone cage while the AFW is trying to hit you (sth like what happens at 3:10 in my video).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lastly, after following all the advices except for lunar equipment, and after watching lots of videos including Wes Fuelweawer run, I...

I installed a mode to see boss hp to track my progress. I wasn't wrong. Once I drop him to 8000-9000 HP, he eats a lot so goes to 10000-110000 and we fight until I'm out or resources or until my death,  This is 30 tries after.

I removed the mod again but finally I've decided that this time I'll simply get my equipment and watch shadow rifts cause I never played this content. So I came with 2 stacks of gunpowder. You think it's blown away easily? No. Luckly I'm Naxwell to cage him in place because I panflute doesn't work. Once he's in place, you can't siply put 2 stacks of gunpowder since it won't kill him for some reason. You should do that one by one. But after first one he would go inro immunity stage and summon healing buddies so you should be perfect.

It took me 6 attempts to actually blow him away. 6 attemts for cheating!

 

BTW, I don't complain for boss design. I think it's perfect and ecourages to fight it with other people, not alone. But when I look how other people do it and compare it to my attemts, I feel so pathetic. Hope once I'll manage it in honest fight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, shaurun said:

Lastly, after following all the advices except for lunar equipment, and after watching lots of videos including Wes Fuelweawer run, I...

I installed a mode to see boss hp to track my progress. I wasn't wrong. Once I drop him to 8000-9000 HP, he eats a lot so goes to 10000-110000 and we fight until I'm out or resources or until my death,  This is 30 tries after.

I removed the mod again but finally I've decided that this time I'll simply get my equipment and watch shadow rifts cause I never played this content. So I came with 2 stacks of gunpowder. You think it's blown away easily? No. Luckly I'm Naxwell to cage him in place because I panflute doesn't work. Once he's in place, you can't siply put 2 stacks of gunpowder since it won't kill him for some reason. You should do that one by one. But after first one he would go inro immunity stage and summon healing buddies so you should be perfect.

It took me 6 attempts to actually blow him away. 6 attemts for cheating!

 

BTW, I don't complain for boss design. I think it's perfect and ecourages to fight it with other people, not alone. But when I look how other people do it and compare it to my attemts, I feel so pathetic. Hope once I'll manage it in honest fight.

Fair enough, to each their own!

It's not a fighting game and there's other ways outside melee fights for outsmarting the world/bosses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
  • Create New...