Tutorial map.

ONI is made to be learned while playing similar to DS. Then again we got tools to make such a map in sandbox. Maybe it could be a series of challenges in small rooms each one opening to another one when it`s done. Simple stuff like crop farming, basic plumbing, using insulated tiles etc.

It should be a complete playthrough map with every possible fancy buildings exists, can run on itself and impossible to pause or switch overlay :D

Just to show how the game should be played, new players may get some idea from it and that's it :mrgreen:

On 10/28/2023 at 1:50 PM, MinhPham said:

It should be a complete playthrough map with every possible fancy buildings exists, can run on itself and impossible to pause or switch overlay :D

Just to show how the game should be played, new players may get some idea from it and that's it :mrgreen:

That's exactly what I was considering. Something awesome to look at and gain inspiration or hands on insights.

With the clipboard mod you could even add the notes for each build in the room.

On 10/28/2023 at 9:17 AM, Sasza22 said:

ONI is made to be learned while playing similar to DS. Then again we got tools to make such a map in sandbox. Maybe it could be a series of challenges in small rooms each one opening to another one when it`s done. Simple stuff like crop farming, basic plumbing, using insulated tiles etc.

Maybe something with automation the player has to interact with. I like the concept. 

I play this game because i watched people play it. I am not sure if i would have gotten into it on my own, and i was constantly watching other people how they solved problems and made new stuff.

It would be nice for the game to show you advanced stuff, not just the video tutorials (that i have to admit, i have never seen). Or maybe, make an objective based run as a tutorial, "like make x amount of y thing" or "land on this asteroid", but starting with superdupes, and unlimited resources. It would be nice to explain the mechanics like decor, morale and germs/disease, and then more "technical" stuff like heat transfer, gases/liquids behavior, rocketry and nuclear.

I would be happy with a vastly improved and expanded database. Well-written and well-edited texts contribute to the style and beauty of the game and can be supplemented with pictures (not animated movies). 

The recently added field guide for critters is an excellent example of this. 

The animated movies that pop up in the early stages of the game are nice but insufficient. If Klei wants to keep the animated shorts to explain specific mechanics, I recommend overhauling and enhancing them. Also, many more animated shorts should be added over time.

However, as I said already, I think a well-written text boosted with pictures is, in my view, the best approach. It only requires talented writers and editors. 

Ok, I'm thinking start the map on a classic planet size with a completely finished and automated colony with examples based off the video tutorials and player made creations. Fill it up with with just enough to show off how things work and some creative designs.

Then use the teleporter for the second planet having unfinished projects / simple challenges and half the planet unmined with a large storage of resources. A basic rocket system that has to be built with rooms pre built. Sealed off geyser in the perfect spot for a steam rocket.

Planet 3 you land on with the tutorial rocket from planet 2.

This one has all the different biomes with plants and critters along the outer walls in abyssalite.  A menagerie planet just for finishing the tutorial map.

On 11/1/2023 at 4:37 AM, cyberwarlord said:

Ok, I'm thinking start the map on a classic planet size with a completely finished and automated colony with examples based off the video tutorials and player made creations. Fill it up with with just enough to show off how things work and some creative designs.

Then use the teleporter for the second planet having unfinished projects / simple challenges and half the planet unmined with a large storage of resources. A basic rocket system that has to be built with rooms pre built. Sealed off geyser in the perfect spot for a steam rocket.

Planet 3 you land on with the tutorial rocket from planet 2.

This one has all the different biomes with plants and critters along the outer walls in abyssalite.  A menagerie planet just for finishing the tutorial map.

I can see that working!.

I dont believe a tutorial map should contain every advanced feature. It should be up to the player to find certain stuff through exploration and experimentation.

It should however contain what you need to do to get a colony running developing: basic dupe needs, food, germs, power, farming, ranching, skills, priorities,... .

On 11/12/2023 at 4:05 PM, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

I dont believe a tutorial map should contain every advanced feature. It should be up to the player to find certain stuff through exploration and experimentation.

It should however contain what you need to do to get a colony running developing: basic dupe needs, food, germs, power, farming, ranching, skills, priorities,... .

Unless you enable the sandbox, it is very hard to "experiment" as a new player in a new colony. It would be best if the player knows in advance the extent of what is possible to do, i don't think anyone can build something as basic as a gold volcano tamer much less something as complex as a regolith smelter on its first colony, just by ones imagination.

Would anyone like to design a room? I'll be trying a few an posting soon enough. Something simple like pipe flow mechanics. It would need to be room with player interaction and automated to turn off and on the example. Think of educational toys for the build. Both example and application. 

A room where it shows the efficiency difference in liquids used in aquatuner. 

Even simpler, a pacu farm that also shows all the basic liquids layered in order. 

Archived