The atmosuit no Oxygen consumed bug is out of line, and should be fixed.

Its one thing to exploit the game's limitations and create clever workarounds, like the liquid locks for example (as much as i hate them)

But the atmosuit bug is stupid and has no place in the game.
That being said, you should keep in mind that players are using it because there are no good ways to store gases in this game.
You can store oxylite, sure, but thats not the easiest thing to do, and you're not storing the gas.

The gas reservoir being so gigantic is a crime, and there should be small reservoirs the size of a smart battery to store gases for purposes like inside a rocket. Since thats where the atmo suit bug is used most often.

If you just remove the bug that will leave a void for situations where neither oxylite nor the gas tank are viable, hence why i suggested you implement a small gas storage tank

On 9/15/2023 at 12:59 PM, Flytrap said:

The gas reservoir being so gigantic is a crime, and there should be small reservoirs the size of a smart battery to store gases for purposes like inside a rocket.

Canister filler/emptier?  For that matter, what do you really need to store gas inside the command module for anyhow?  Oxygen to breathe?  Generate it from algae.

53 minutes ago, melquiades said:

Sincere question... which bug? Never heard of this.

Dupes who have atmo suits on dont consume oxygen when their suit runs out of it. They just recover their breath out of nothing, even in a room full of unbreathable gases.

Thats it. No setup for it, no conditions to trigger it really, i cant call it rare or a niche, its just a bug that some people want it the game, and i want it out because it trivializes everything. Its not working around the limitations of the game, its stupidly easy to pull off, takes no effort, literally, and the payoff is absurdly huge, and on top of this, its not even fun and it doesnt make the game better as 'an unintended feature'

Im essentially just hating on this bug here.

24 minutes ago, psusi said:

Canister filler/emptier?  For that matter, what do you really need to store gas inside the command module for anyhow?  Oxygen to breathe?  Generate it from algae.

Not necessarily in the module, but in general. Anywhere. The methods we have for storage are awful. Excluding the infinite storage glitches because those arent intended game mechanics. As far as the intended way is concerned, its really bad.

2 hours ago, Flytrap said:

Dupes who have atmo suits on dont consume oxygen when their suit runs out of it. They just recover their breath out of nothing, even in a room full of unbreathable gases.

Oh wow, i had had dupes stay with their atmosuits on because i forgot to enable back the atmosuit checkpoint. I hadn't noticed that they didn't consume any oxygen, when they removed the helmet i thought they were breathing normally.

But as many things in this game, we can report the bug, hoping that it will eventually get fixed. But it is up to you to exploit it or not.

But i do find it pretty ridiculous to rely on something like that, setting up a proper expeditionary rocket is not that hard, and is the whole point of the end game for me.

3 hours ago, Flytrap said:

I dont believe so, no.

I fail to see how this is an unavoidable issue. The times i have "used" this it  wouldn't have benefited me as there is always a breathable atmosphere inside the rocket. Like if  the dock had already a suit on before launch or if i had disabled the dock.

Spoiler

Set up for mining:

OxygenNotIncluded9_20_2023(2).thumb.png.272fd2d0c20716bbcb6377007cc2307b.png

For colonizing:

OxygenNotIncluded9_20_2023.thumb.png.57e6030030b4325baec9093f2246e7e9.png

Food, water and oxylite get restocked at landing. CO2 get jettisoned through the inner vents connections.

Regardless, this does need to be fixed.

On 9/17/2023 at 3:31 AM, cyberwarlord said:

The rocket really needs a 2x1 mini storage for gas and liquid. pumps that can be built into the wall. 

Fix the bug. 

That would definitely help make the nose cone rocket viable. 

Just enough water, oxygen, maybe co2 storage for a first mission.

for early game none of that is necessary

7 hours ago, melquiades said:

I fail to see how this is an unavoidable issue. The times i have "used" this it  wouldn't have benefited me as there is always a breathable atmosphere inside the rocket. Like if  the dock had already a suit on before launch or if i had disabled the dock.

Reveal hidden contents

Set up for mining:

OxygenNotIncluded9_20_2023(2).thumb.png.272fd2d0c20716bbcb6377007cc2307b.png

For colonizing:

OxygenNotIncluded9_20_2023.thumb.png.57e6030030b4325baec9093f2246e7e9.png

Food, water and oxylite get restocked at landing. CO2 get jettisoned through the inner vents connections.

Regardless, this does need to be fixed.

Ok. If they are in a suit. They are "not" using anything once its empty. Not even when they recover breath. You may not think your doing it. But it happens all the time and you just don't notice.

4 hours ago, Primalflower said:

for early game none of that is necessary

Not the point. You don't need anything. You don't even need a rocket to survive. Or space travel. But some of us, like the mechanical aspect of launching a rocket. Not just loading it with alge an berry sludge. 

And having these allows for their use in more then just the rocket. Buffer tanks. Off ground storage etc.

6 hours ago, cyberwarlord said:

Not the point. You don't need anything. You don't even need a rocket to survive. Or space travel. But some of us, like the mechanical aspect of launching a rocket. Not just loading it with alge an berry sludge. 

And having these allows for their use in more then just the rocket. Buffer tanks. Off ground storage etc.

i'm speaking as someone who adores rockets and almost exclusively plays no teleporter starts on either moonlets or spaced out starts, I think loading a rocket with algae/berry sludge being perceived as the only 'good' solution to rocketry is short sighted. nosecone rockets are big enough to fit a million different kinds of internals, whether that be by covering the entire rocket in vents and storing the oxygen that way, using a gas canister module, or any myriad of the different ways to produce oxygen like algae, oxylite, or polluted dirt, all of them can already be used in nosecone rockets and it is wholly unnecessary for one to have a 'life support' esc device to perform those same duties. I am against something that standardizes solutions to what is supposed to not be a straight-forward problem

11 hours ago, cyberwarlord said:

Ok. If they are in a suit. They are "not" using anything once its empty. Not even when they recover breath. You may not think your doing it. But it happens all the time and you just don't notice.

I understand what you say, but not why you say it is unavoidable. You can easily not rely on that bug for anything. If you want to abuse it, it is completely on you, and that is actually ok, you are allowed to play any way you want, but it is not "unavoidable".

On 9/18/2023 at 3:41 PM, Flytrap said:

Oh, right.... I always forget about that.  I've never tried to actively exploit it though because they aren't productive while they are catching their breath.

On 9/18/2023 at 3:41 PM, Flytrap said:

Not necessarily in the module, but in general. Anywhere. The methods we have for storage are awful. Excluding the infinite storage glitches because those arent intended game mechanics. As far as the intended way is concerned, its really bad.

Yea, ever since they first added the gas reservoir I have lamented how little it holds, especially considering its gigantic size.  Eventually though, I just stopped worrying about it and switched to using infinite storage for gas.

On 9/20/2023 at 8:17 PM, melquiades said:

I understand what you say, but not why you say it is unavoidable. You can easily not rely on that bug for anything. If you want to abuse it, it is completely on you, and that is actually ok, you are allowed to play any way you want, but it is not "unavoidable".

I think he means that sometimes your dupes accidentally run out of oxygen in their suites, and when they do, they WILL exploit this bug, even if you did not intend to, If they are in an unbreathable gas, they should suffocate, and if they are in oxygen, they should actually consume some of the oxygen like you might have thought they were doing.

6 hours ago, psusi said:

Yea, ever since they first added the gas reservoir I have lamented how little it holds, especially considering its gigantic size.  Eventually though, I just stopped worrying about it and switched to using infinite storage for gas.

As someone who prefers to avoid infinite storage where possible, I find the gas reservoir has it's place: specifically, inside high-pressure 'gas battery' rooms, where it can give you 50% more gas per tile and more importantly, provide an electricity-free gas buffer to absorb short term fluctuations in energy usage.

I wouldn't object to a buff, though.

-

I agree with this topic, no oxygen being consumed when exosuits are empty is not even an exploit, it's just a bug. Dupes being able to catch their breath from tiny floating oxygen packets is a good quality of life feature (suffocations would be way too common if they couldn't), but being able to catch their breath without consuming any oxygen is a bit much.

On 9/27/2023 at 2:09 AM, QuQuasar said:

As someone who prefers to avoid infinite storage where possible, I find the gas reservoir has it's place: specifically, inside high-pressure 'gas battery' rooms, where it can give you 50% more gas per tile and more importantly, provide an electricity-free gas buffer to absorb short term fluctuations in energy usage.

I wouldn't object to a buff, though.

-

I agree with this topic, no oxygen being consumed when exosuits are empty is not even an exploit, it's just a bug. Dupes being able to catch their breath from tiny floating oxygen packets is a good quality of life feature (suffocations would be way too common if they couldn't), but being able to catch their breath without consuming any oxygen is a bit much.

i dont like that bug either, but i can live with that because its hell enough for beginners as is. It may be a bug but to them its imperceptible and makes it slightly less hard for them, and for us it is completely irrelevant

Archived