How to not get overwhelmed?

So I'm currently playing a spaced out colony, but I feel like this 'problem' can very well apply to classic oni as well

I'm close to cycle 500, well into the midgame with an industrial sauna on the main and a dirty brick on the teleport planetoid

But I'm running into an issue: there are things that I should probably address (I recommend reading this at an accelerating speed for an immersive experience): I've yet to build a slickster ranch, my grubgrub-sweetle-sulfur geysar railway isn't as optimized as it probably can be, I have a minor volcano I've yet to utilize, my industrial sauna is having a hard time flashing polluted water and brine from the cold geysers, the residue dirt and salt are being inefficiently picked up by the auto-sweeper, I'm not chilling any debris from the sauna, my 2nd planetiod has no meteor protection, I'm not sure if 6 natural gas generators and 5 steam turbines in my brick are enough to supply all my cooling loops (and base) with power, none of my ranches are automated for drowning excess eggs but still supplying incubators when critters start dying of old age, I've yet to build a non-soda bottles rocket, my 2nd planetoid has no infinite food storage, co2 is starting to build up on my 1st planetoid but I don't want to vent it into space cuz I could use it in my 2nd planetoid's slickster ranch, once I have it built of course-

As you can see there's a lot of potential things that I should do, and all of them would benefit the colony or me (freeing me from manual sweep commands etc). And, well, there's so much to do that I don't know what to do first, so I just kinda end up doing nothing, watching the cycles pass by as my dupes are idling

How does one not get overwhelmed by all the possible errands you can give yourself (the player) in oni?

I for one, am very happy with Valve adding the cloud notes to Steam Overlay, convenient place to keep track of all the things I want to address. (Now if only the GPU drivers/blink engine played nicely...)

As for being overwhelmed - yes, the game is very overwhelming. I put priority on dupe life essentials (food, O2), heat death, then resource acquiring/generation, then dupe labor optimisation, and expansion onto other planetoids last. (I don't even bother with decor/recreation too much).

I'm also the type who hates having resources just go to waste/vented into space - I learned to embrace infinite storage, it's the only way to support the hoarding habbit. :D

4 hours ago, Szczuku said:

How does one not get overwhelmed by all the possible errands you can give yourself (the player) in oni?

Patience and discipline.  Work on one project at a time and prioritize the projects that have the biggest impact on your colony.  Specializing your labor and strategically setting priorities can reduce the number of manual commands you have to input, too.

On 9/1/2023 at 4:46 PM, goboking said:

Patience and discipline.  Work on one project at a time and prioritize the projects that have the biggest impact on your colony.  Specializing your labor and strategically setting priorities can reduce the number of manual commands you have to input, too.

This.

You are describing exactly my situation 700 cycles ago. Since you seem to have heat and food infrastructure ready on you main planet, your priority is energy. If you see your batteries empty, invest more into solar/coal temporarily while you look for something more stable, like a petroleum boiler or nuclear reactor if feasible ( if you have access to oil reservoirs or uranium), or geothermal, which is a bit complicated to set up but will pay off in the end. Once this is done, it's just about tackling problems one at a time since you are sustainable. Then you move to the other planets.

Archived