Klei do not change the celestial portal until you fix pathfinding bugs, thanks!

Forums users need to figure out their priorities. 

There is a topic about changing the celestial portal, a legit mechanic, because it may undermine the importance of player choice for choosing both your character and the new skill trees.

However my issue is, the same people who complain about the celestial portal breaking the game, probably use the straight line wall cheese for dfly or statues/fossils for blocking mobs for farming or to cheese the moon stone event. They might even think voidwalking is ok too. Lureplant to block bosses etc...

I use the wall cheese all the time cause why would i ever fight dfly legit?? These bugs are removing player choice by narrowing the strategies the players WANT to use to overcome the problem. 99% of people will choose the path of least resistance... they will use the wall cheese for dfly over making ice staffs to freeze the larve instead or any other strategy cause its by far the easiest and least resource-intensive strategy to pull off.

These bugs need to be fixed. Either by making the bugs legit etc.. Craftable, infinite health walls to replace statues/fossils. Or removing them entirely. These bugs can completely change how you approach challenges in DST and the worse thing is... they are not intentional! They're bugs!!!

The celestial portal on the otherhand is legit, is not a bug and is 100% intentional! Why has there been such a massive focus on the celestial portal recently when klei still havnt fixed the goofy AI pathfinding?? You guys are so confusing.

My message to Klei and my fellow forums users... just keep your priorities straight.

1 minute ago, Ardyn said:

“Klei do not change the walter until you fix pathfinding bugs, thanks!”

Actually i 100% agree. As a Walter main, i cant wait for Walters skill tree but i would rather klei stop all new content updates until all bugs are fixed in one way or another.

Fixing path finding is a risky move, they might end up introducing more bugs and exploits by doing so, but I've seen a mod fixing it... I don't know maybe they're just too busy making the "It Will All Make Sense" update.

2 minutes ago, Gashzer said:

Actually i 100% agree. As a Walter main, i cant wait for Walters skill tree but i would rather klei stop all new content updates until all bugs are fixed in one way or another.

Well some bugs arent going away (void walking) without way more problems than the solution is worth (its an engine problem, so it would be very hard to solve)

but honestly?

most pathfinding bugs are left in on purpose.

It would take one single programmer like one hour to add pathfinding relevant collision to the lava pools in a way that mostly prevents this bug/makes it too much trouble.

but they’re allowing people to cheese it because not allowing the cheese would annoy people, and they’d probably end up just making a box for themselves to sit in instead.

i mean thats how i solved dragonfly the first time without looking anything up, i just made a box to defend myself against the larvae. It burned the first time, it was made of stone the second.

because a box is sooooo much harder to make than a big wall.

it just doesnt actually solve anything. As a developer you DONT typically want to fix every minor bug, especially if emergent gameplay has resulted from it (statues blocking creatures but not affecting pathfinding leads to fun farm designs) 

its fine to want the bugs fixed, or find them annoying, but honestly, if most people have fun with the bug, and its not ruining the game, why not just allow it.

Players can always CHOOSE not to use the bug. But most will because its a clever easy enough solution.

Player came up a solution to making fight certain boss easier, and you are punish them for their effort to think a solution instead of rewarding strategy thinking?

if wall barrier to block larve is a cheese then ppl will just circulate all the lava pond instead.

YOU, will make a worst game developer.

messing with pathfinding is the most fun i had with this game, having to come up with a complicated contraption to make the hounds from the varg pathfind to where i want to make a gem varg is so much fun and its the closest thing to minecraft redstone

do no take that away from us, at least, give us an option that works the same as walls and statues

16 minutes ago, NNOUS said:

Player came up a solution to making fight certain boss easier, and you are punish them for their effort to think a solution instead of rewarding strategy thinking?

if wall barrier to block larve is a cheese then ppl will just circulate all the lava pond instead.

YOU, will make a worst game developer.

The cheese isnt the wall, its tricking the larve AI into thinking it can walk through the magma pit/sign beside the wall when they cant fit. Walling around the magma pits is legit and should be the standard strat tbh. 

Otherwise dfly needs a rework to be more fun cause currently people are just skipping half of the dfly's mechanics by using the wall cheese.

8 minutes ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

Damn it's like people can also choose not to use celestial portal or skill trees just like exploits/bugs.

My issue with bugs, is that if you play a pub with strangers. EVERYONE defaults to using bugs. I was Willow, i had bernie and insanity food... we were a team of 3. I could of used big bernie to fight and kill larves legit with no issue while my team hanged back... i tried to explain this but no no we had to use the wall cheese.

These bugs are removing the pros of some characters. It is effecting the game balance alot more than you think. Willow would be alot more useful if walls couldnt block larve.

If cheese strats bother you then just don't use them, there are plenty of ways of killing Dfly without stone walls. It really is ironic that you started your post off with "Forums users need to figure out their priorities." and then go on to talk about a topic that is pretty low down on the priority list. It's just like the celestial portal, if you aren't comfortable using cheese strats to get things done, just don't use em and let other players enjoy the game in their own way.

1 minute ago, Baark0 said:

If cheese strats bother you then just don't use them, there are plenty of ways of killing Dfly without stone walls. It really is ironic that you started your post off with "Forums users need to figure out their priorities." and then go on to talk about a topic that is pretty low down on the priority list. It's just like the celestial portal, if you aren't comfortable using cheese strats to get things done, just don't use em and let other players enjoy the game in their own way.

Yeah but its dont starve TOGETHER. If i play with others on pubs. I cant force them not to use bugs for boss fights. Like the example in my previous comment. Then in these cases cheese strats are being forced on to me.

11 minutes ago, Baark0 said:

Honestly this would be less of a problem if this was a single player game I'm not saying cheese is a issue but it can ruin the experience for other players I would argue Kiel should work to put cheese strats into official mechanics similar to how they did with ancient guardian.

43 minutes ago, Gashzer said:

Yeah but its dont starve TOGETHER. If i play with others on pubs. I cant force them not to use bugs for boss fights. Like the example in my previous comment. Then in these cases cheese strats are being forced on to me

I’ll state this as plainly as possible:

all it would take is not allowing structures to be placed near the lava pool.

like 1 hour of work to implement and test.

if they chose not to implement that, with a solution THAT EASY…

they left it on purpose man.

and like i said: box

you can just box yourself in and achieve the same result, its just as easy.

Celestial portal shouldn't be removed or changed to make it difficult to swap characters, at most add another item that lets you reset skill points.

Being able to use walls for dragonfly fight doesn't remove choices but actually increases as this is another option and it would be terrible to fight Dragonfly solo without walls blocking lavae. If 6 players play together and decide to use walls, does it really make that much of a difference? They can kill Dragonfly without any difficulty with or without walls but for solo players it is so important because bosses that spawn units that overwhelm you are not interesting or fun to deal with as a solo player.

3 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

Add on to that someone once reported larvaes not attacking walls as a bug and the devs said it was intended. Definitely left on purpose.

Instead of removing the pillar exploit klei reworked the ancient guardian and now its one of the most fun boss fights in the game

Dont like people cheesing dfly with walls? why is that? because nobody likes to bother with the 300 hp mobs she spawns specially considering she is often fought solo?

klei will rework dfly, then remove the walls method

though if we are gonna get on that topic, there are other bosses that need reworks asap

If KLei fixes pathfinder, I reckon all the clever traps/farms/etc made from mid-game onward will cease to exist. Meaning there is no reason to stick with a world for more than 50-100 in-game days (for advanced experienced players) since.. nothing worth building in elaborate manner remains, aside decorations. This in turn "kills" the game's shelf life exponentially. Because, after surviving 1 in-game year and besting 1ce or 2ice the raid bosses (including AFw and CC quest-lines)... nothing worthwhile remains. No baiting, no contraptions, no setups... no point. If this was the case from beginning I for one probably would've abandoned DST after a couple hundreds of irl play-hours as opposed to the >13k mark I "raked in" till now, atm of this post. Some random survival-oriented "mobs/boss-waves battle arena" can entertain you that much before boredom/indifference sets in - and it does so rather quick (StarCraft2's SCV Team arcade, though quite entertaining, proved me abundantly this concept).

3 hours ago, _zwb said:

Fixing path finding is a risky move, they might end up introducing more bugs and exploits by doing so, but I've seen a mod fixing it... I don't know maybe they're just too busy making the "It Will All Make Sense" update.

You Can Turn it Off*

also this post is just... okay bro, F- all those people who use these pathfinding quirks, not bugs, QUIRKS, for creating creative farms that make the game better by making the player have more control over chores (aka having less of them because the game clearly has too little according to people here, despite never going far in worlds in day counts :D )

How about we don't change either? No issues with both.

1 hour ago, Capybara007 said:

Instead of removing the pillar exploit klei reworked the ancient guardian and now its one of the most fun boss fights in the game

Dont like people cheesing dfly with walls? why is that? because nobody likes to bother with the 300 hp mobs she spawns specially considering she is often fought solo?

though if we are gonna get on that topic, there are other bosses that need reworks asap

A lot more things would have to get reworked for the removal of this to not sting so much but yes, a fun dfly fight rework would make people cheese her less, assuming it goes as well as AG did which I have no reason to believe it wouldn't.

2 hours ago, Copyafriend said:

Signs would also need to be changed, statues... on and on, a lot of things lol, it is intended it's been in the game since the beginning.

2 hours ago, Gashzer said:

Yeah but its dont starve TOGETHER. If i play with others on pubs. I cant force them not to use bugs for boss fights. Like the example in my previous comment. Then in these cases cheese strats are being forced on to me.

Thats part of playing with other people, sometimes you have to just accept that people dont want to do things your way. Dont like it? Go play on a private world where you can fight your dragonfly without walls. 

5 minutes ago, Baark0 said:

Thats part of playing with other people, sometimes you have to just accept that people dont want to do things your way. Dont like it? Go play on a private world where you can fight your dragonfly without walls. 

I don't think that's a good mindset when it comes to exploits even more so in a game that's supposed to rely on teamwork.

1 hour ago, Capybara007 said:

This is the most ideal scenario.

1 hour ago, MostMerryTomcat said:

Because, after surviving 1 in-game year and besting 1ce or 2ice the raid bosses (including AFw and CC quest-lines)... nothing worthwhile remains.

Personally I feel like it  highlights a bigger issue with dst that being it's survival mechanics are shallow and not very engaging...

55 minutes ago, Baark0 said:

I bet you the dying fish from a freshly yeeted merm's inventory that's not about "healthy game balance" or "the free will of a democratic majority" playing on some pub or whatnot - since you always have control over the quality of your own online gaming pastime; in this case, as you stated: find another pub or play with friends. Or "how the game should REALLY be played, as *we the experts* know best" (a "blast from the past", pour les connaisseurs). Most likely it has to do with either asserting some imagined superiority/dominance ("*we the experts*") and/or wicked entertainment derived from the failure of others. Each time "uncompromising survival" thoughts are expressed on these forums I remember a post from the main dev of the namesake mod, a post in which that person expressed roughly the idea: "When I see 1st autumn people announcing AG killing/loot or Ruins gear.. makes me depressed, game is not uncompromising, these end-game events shouldn't be possible in this manner. And when I stumble upon some random Wolfgang tanking Deerclops beside firecamp with Spear and Log Armor.. I cant even! It just make me wanna destroy his firecamp! This is not how DST should be, too damn easy brain-dead F-to-win!" (again, another "*we the experts*" Dunning-Kruger effect case of spectrum's bottom segment).

46 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Personally I feel like it  highlights a bigger issue with dst that being it's survival mechanics are shallow and not very engaging...

KLei seems to be trying to address the late-game Survival faced of DST this year (probably next year as well). Till now I for one.. am not impressed. The Lunar and Horror elements are too thin spread, too toned down. No real progression, on wide-range and with a multitude of effects (new weather patterns, phenomenons, new seasonal mobs, plants, loot etc). But one thing's for sure: fixing pathfinder.. will not lead to more game interactions, but less. A LOT less. And devs would need to implement proverbial tons of content to cover for such a creative lapse.

Archived