A whole skill path only serve endgame/post-rift world is meaningless

Wolfgangs Mighty abilities require a planar weapon to be effective, and by the time you get a planar weapon to make them work, you often have celestial portals that allow you to freely and cheaply change skills (lunar altars and orb are even necessary to activate the surface world rift).

Once you realize this, the most effective approach is to completely abandon the might path at the beginning of the game and apply all insight to other paths, so that you have almost the entire skill tree.

Which make Wolfgang's lack of real options for his skill tree also makes him more OP.

Wormwood's Crafting skill branch has the same problem, but wormwood's skills only have to be used once to benefit permanently, making it the crafting party that gets replaced in character switching.

167771345_QQ20230720142909.thumb.png.51fdf64879951e7c9c3936a969d52e92.png

I guess I don't see the problem. 

The endgame/post rift stuff is what Klei is trying to develop for the next content cycle. So that content takes up a pretty small part of the game right now. But it will grow with time and become more valuable eventually. So that's only a temporary problem. 

I also don't see what is inherently bad about allowing players to respec? Letting players respec their builds to suit different situations is pretty common in other games, and I don't see why it would be unhealthy here. Having the player plan out their next set of actions, and updating their skill tree to fit their plan seems like a pretty Don't Starve thing to me. I feel like players spend a long time planning out their actions, and preparing resources and crafting to accomplish them. Letting them respec as another way to solve problems seems like a good thing to me. 

13 hours ago, Cassielu said:

Wolfgangs Mighty abilities require a planar weapon to be effective, and by the time you get a planar weapon to make them work, you often have celestial portals that allow you to freely and cheaply change skills (lunar altars and orb are even necessary to activate the surface world rift).

Once you realize this, the most effective approach is to completely abandon the might path at the beginning of the game and apply all insight to other paths, so that you have almost the entire skill tree.

Which make Wolfgang's lack of real options for his skill tree also makes him more OP.

Wormwood's Crafting skill branch has the same problem, but wormwood's skills only have to be used once to benefit permanently, making it the crafting party that gets replaced in character switching.

167771345_QQ20230720142909.thumb.png.51fdf64879951e7c9c3936a969d52e92.png

You are right about the mightiness skills, it feels weird since newbies might pick it having no idea what it is and see 0 benifit. It is useless to pick unless you are in the endgame.

3 hours ago, Cassielu said:

This is a "How to make skilltree better" topic.

Reads more like potential Wolfgang issue PSA, but I'll give it a shot.

Merge Might with Limits. Every 10 mightiness over 100 can give the 5 planar weapon bonus so it can feel more earned.

Skill ideas:

• get benefits for a gym workout (e.g. sanity, temp speed boost if form changed)
  • coaching affects other players somehow (e.g. damage reduction, sanity)
  • the next punch after tossing a dumbbell will do aoe knockback (maybe just enough to be able to retrieve a dumbbell tossed at another player in an open area in PVP)
  • when taking a lethal combat hit while mighty, % chance to survive and set health and mightiness to %s
  • crafting specific items (refine tab?) while mighty uses a shorter punching animation
  • tweaks to might rates like drain (possibly incompatible with Limits in that you can only spec 2/4 or 4/6) or tool use

it would not make any sense conceptually to make skill trees just pop up on the endgame after defeating a boss, the skill trees only affect experienced players that know how to get value out of it and to make their early game a bit more different and exciting, newbies dont even know how to kite a hound will not care about skill trees

its fine as it is now with it unlocked in the early game

Wolfgang's skill tree just sucks in general, The only interesting ones are the higher one shot chance, the extra dumbbells, and the whistle. I get Klei wanted to keep Wolfgang relevant as a damage character when it comes to planar enemies, but I'd argue just giving him an innate boost to planar damage while mighty would've been a better option. The extra maximum mightiness is also incredibly boring, maybe if being at these higher levels of mightiness gave some sort of perks it'd be slightly interesting. Imo Klei should just scrap both these trees, maybe not now since it's (probably) pretty late into the development cycle and they're likely looking to release it in ~2-3 weeks from now, but in a future update this should definitely be revisited.

Archived