An insult to Don't Starve

15 minutes ago, SirToastyToes said:

Luckily for both of us this is not it. This is not "destroying the foundations of the game" this is not the moment we'll all point to in ten years where we didn't know how good we had it, it's new abilities for characters and maybe you'll use them maybe you won't. You're not the first to decry something as the worst thing they've ever done to Don't Starve and you won't be the last.

Then I have nothing else to say. If seeing a proper genuine worrying of a player that spent hours to write all this long paper of criticism as a "cry", I'll suggest to stop it here and let the post stay on topic.       

Although we'll be eager for the day when the big moment, as you say, will come. 

3 hours ago, Milordo said:

Then I have nothing else to say. If seeing a proper genuine worrying of a player that spent hours to write all this long paper of criticism as a "cry", I'll suggest to stop it here and let the post stay on topic.       

Although we'll be eager for the day when the big moment, as you say, will come. 

Dude you gotta stop replying to people who just discredit you and say your opinion is invalid because X, the only truly invalid opinion that exists is that no one else is allowed to have an opinion.

This is a feedback section,  let's all continue posting good constructive ideas like the first post got edited to.

I think skill trees conceptually work but in actual progression at the moment they're really boring when I thought they're supposed to be DST guides kinda built into the game.

Just "surviving" for like 1 and a half years eventually total is lame and doesn't actually teach the player how to play their character or even the game. I am massively on board for "character completes tasks relative to their character IE: woodie uses forms to do actions to gain insight as long as it's not made too grindy either like CHOP 1000 TREES AS WEREBEAVER or RUN 12000 KM AS WEREGOOSE

On 7/8/2023 at 3:05 AM, Joey9Baka said:

Dude you gotta stop replying to people who just discredit you and say your opinion is invalid because X, the only truly invalid opinion that exists is that no one else is allowed to have an opinion.

This is a feedback section,  let's all continue posting good constructive ideas like the first post got edited to.

I think skill trees conceptually work but in actual progression at the moment they're really boring when I thought they're supposed to be DST guides kinda built into the game.

Just "surviving" for like 1 and a half years eventually total is lame and doesn't actually teach the player how to play their character or even the game. I am massively on board for "character completes tasks relative to their character IE: woodie uses forms to do actions to gain insight as long as it's not made too grindy either like CHOP 1000 TREES AS WEREBEAVER or RUN 12000 KM AS WEREGOOSE

I still can't see skill tree as guides, as they're now. The most you can get is some secret perks that the game doesn't tell you (example, Wilson beard insulation) or the existance of the final bosses? But it's just names and nothing more. New players doesn't know that they're final bosses and don't care + you need to figure it out all the absurd quest. Maybe in a hypotetical one structured as an achievement system? Sure, they could work as a guide, which make me chuckle since Klei always was serious on "no achievements, no guides on Don't Starve" and they're more and more breaking these "gold rules" through time xD

Absolutely not a grind system. Hell no. I wholeheartly agree. Imagine as Woodie you need to chop 2000 trees or something like that :skull_emoj:

I love this game so very very much.

And I hate to say I don't like this update because I love the changes it brings to the characters.

But at the end of the day, skill trees won't  fix the biggest issue this game has. New players just don't stick around.

I've introduced this game to a lot of people, and played it with them for a few hours before they inevitably got kinda bored and they never played it again.

But once one of them was playing Webber, and decided to actually put in some effort into growing an army of powerful spiders. And they ventured off into the caves all on their own. I helped them set up a lantern, and they ventured off, all on their own into the caves. And they just had fun with it. They were engaged in a way they just hadn't really been before. 

Which is where the skills trees fall so flat for me. They don't encourage anything. They don't ask the player to engage with the world.

I've seen so many people ask why they're not any good, and frankly, that's why. They don't ask anything of the player besides existing. And in a game so full of wonder and learning, why do they have to be so? How could Klei do it so right with WX and Webber and then fumble this so tremendously?

It upsets me, because I know it can be so much better.

11 minutes ago, Erineyes7 said:

snip

If I could only put into words how much I can relate to this, or well to at least to players I try to teach the game quitting after a bit, I assure you if every character had some way of progressing similar to Webber's switcherdoodle unlocking or WX's circuit unlocking new players would have an amazing time just discovering stuff, instead we get 'SURVIVE 150-160 DAYS TO GET THIS FOREVER' type of deal, which yeah might make some players stick for longer, it won't actually make them engaged and fall in love with the game like the game clearly has pontential to do.

5 minutes ago, Erineyes7 said:

<3

I feel you a lot Erineyes, this really hit home <3 

As said before, I embarked too on this journey to show this game that I love madly to people since 2017. What started as a nice thing to do for my friends to now over 55 people online.

Also

17 minutes ago, Erineyes7 said:

I've seen so many people ask why they're not any good, and frankly, that's why. They don't ask anything of the player besides existing. And in a game so full of wonder and learning, why do they have to be so? How could Klei do it so right with WX and Webber and then fumble this so tremendously?

It upsets me, because I know it can be so much better.

Emphasis on this ^^^^^

6 hours ago, Krotux said:

skill trees are dumb

And there would be better ways (already proposed by certain members of the community) to implement and appease everyone who likes and dislikes the skill trees

Lmao just don't use perks, no need to disable them if you won't use them. 

Though I don't like skill trees for forcing you to miss out on some abiities. 

I wish they made characters very strong as they will be with skill trees and then made the game very hard to compensate.

Also you're being rude. Fellas at klei have their own lives and as I know people with similar skills and they're very busy, I wouldn't cop with so little free time so they don't play games as much as we do to make perfect skill tree at first try. 

We should keep feedback flowing, be polite and supportive instead of cracking whip at developers' backs.  

13 hours ago, Wonz said:

Also you're being rude. Fellas at klei have their own lives and as I know people with similar skills and they're very busy, I wouldn't cop with so little free time so they don't play games as much as we do to make perfect skill tree at first try. 

We should keep feedback flowing, be polite and supportive instead of cracking whip at developers' backs.  

It's as you didn't read at all the post as well the other responses and completely misurdestood my reasons behind.

13 hours ago, Wonz said:

Lmao just don't use perks, no need to disable them if you won't use them. 

Tecnically yes but it's a more deep root problem for me. Also the consistent harassing ads doesn't help.  

13 hours ago, Wonz said:

Though I don't like skill trees for forcing you to miss out on some abiities. 

I wish they made characters very strong as they will be with skill trees and then made the game very hard to compensate.

You noticed you said the same words I wrote on the post right?

2 hours ago, Milordo said:

So, the beta is ending then. I will not surrender and keep fighting to the next ones, until something is done about this bad system.

All in due time, development is a very long and convoluted process after all, Klei devs could be preparing challenges with drastic spike in difficulty for the future - we will never know. Keep faith in them, and keep voicing your thoughts.

3 hours ago, Maxposting said:

This just sounds like a call to arms to attack Klei...

It can be translated like that but no. I meant it as a person pointing to the crucial problem so people can see, like when you explain about climate change to people who are bliss. Never aimed it to Klei. Which the point was that we already had an integrated "skill tree" system in the game.

Archived