Jump to content

could WX get a mini-rework in the future?


Recommended Posts

so back when wolfgang got his rework, klei felt it needed more attention and reworked him slightly in a QoL update, and now i feel like a few characters could use a touch up too, like WX.

his rework was pretty substantial, making him a more independant character and allowing his upsides to be acquired by himself and not depend on other characters, plus changing the gears thing, which i think is pretty good. though one thing i've been missing is the overcharge mechaninc, cause that's one of his main upsides that just got removed, no rework

i've been missing that mechaninc, and now being struck by lightning acts more of a downside really, downing your sanity for some health that'll probably not even heal you that much due to his low health already

i don't know how they would re-implement it, but i feel it's possible, and would make wx a more fun character overall. cause right now you just kinda stick to one circuit loadout and change whenever you either die, or change due to a niche situation where another circuit might be best. re-implementing overcharge might make certain circuits way better for a day or two and giving them some purpose other than just very specific situations

 

okay, people made some good points here, but i feel like i need to clarify what i was trying to say here

i love wx's rework, he was and still is my main since the RoG days and i love the way he is, but one thing that pre-rework wx has that post-rework wx doesn't is the burst of power from being overcharged. it was a good thing splitting his upsides into circuits so you can mix and match them, so he wasn't a super tanky and speedy character with infinite light

but i feel that removing that mechanic, it removed the short burst of power that made wx more fun to play, because you got something to spice up gameplay every once in a while (mostly just in spring), instead of just sticking to 1 or 2 circuit combinations that cycle year round

i'd much rather have today's wx than pre-rework, but i feel like he just needs that little spice to make him more insteresting than he already is

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, fabin said:

so back when wolfgang got his rework, klei felt it needed more attention and reworked him slightly in a QoL update

it's because forums were pissed off about his mightiness gain and loss, and the lack of his speed boost :wilson_sneaky:. WX's rework barely got any anger, from what I remember

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, yourAnty said:

I mean if you want overcharge back just use 3 speed upgrades, you don't really need any of the other ones if all you want is speed.

i don't really care about the old overcharge, i mean just them reworking overcharge into something more neat, instead of making lightning charge 1 slot per strike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have ~2250 days on wx and the character is fine, there's so much diversity and options with them, the only thing id want from a rework is one extra circuit slot, I'd like to use a lot of the 3 slot circuits but prefer the convenience of 25% speed and the extra hunger and hunger loss reduction.

I actually thought up of a concept of wx being to overcharge themselves with circuits, similar to hollow knight's overcharm system. Basically you'd have acess to 1 extra circuit (assuming you have at least one slot available), but you'd take extra damage from enemies, be more vulnerable to water, some sort of downside that while dangerous, isn't so overbearing or annoying that it completely negates any value from overcharging.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wolfgang got a second rework because the first one was terrible & pissed everyone off. WX's rework has had a positive reception, I've even seen many people say it's the best rework (I don't agree with that). 

12 hours ago, fabin said:

though one thing i've been missing is the overcharge mechaninc, cause that's one of his main upsides that just got removed, no rework

Overcharge was his main upside. His only notable perks were overcharge (which was good, if you ignore how you get it) and being able to eat gears (not bad, but rather minor). They basically gave him permanent overcharge because you can now slot its effects in whenever you want.

I don't think Klei should do anything major with the characters. They're all for the most part fine. An update or two that gave some minor changes to some of the characters would be good, but I'd prefer more content that everyone can engage with instead of just more reworks after they've been the majority of the updates for several years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, fabin said:

i don't really care about the old overcharge, i mean just them reworking overcharge into something more neat, instead of making lightning charge 1 slot per strike

Well that's the point, overcharge got split into multiple different circuits and made the effects worse by not being able to have all of them at once but was compensated by not being dependant on a wickerbottom anymore to charge you up every few days aka you don't need to bug anyone anymore to give you speed light and heat, WX's fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, fabin said:

 

his rework was pretty substantial, making him a more independant character and allowing his upsides to be acquired by himself and not depend on other characters, plus changing the gears thing, which i think is pretty good. though one thing i've been missing is the overcharge mechaninc, cause that's one of his main upsides that just got removed, no rework

i've been missing that mechaninc, and now being struck by lightning acts more of a downside really, downing your sanity for some health that'll probably not even heal you that much due to his low health already

i don't know how they would re-implement it, but i feel it's possible, and would make wx a more fun character overall. cause right now you just kinda stick to one circuit loadout and change whenever you either die, or change due to a niche situation where another circuit might be best. re-implementing overcharge might make certain circuits way better for a day or two and giving them some purpose other than just very specific situations

An idea to re implement overcharge for wx would be to give him 2 extra circuit slots that dont recharge on their own (so that you have a maximum of 8 slots but only 6 of them will naturally charge up over time) and the only way to activate those two last slots is to overcharge wx by having him being struck by an electric source.

When charged up those two slots become temporarily active allowing wx to use more modules or new combination of modules that he couldnt previously for a limited time.
while overcharged , wx will get a hunger increase of around 10% and receive 50% higher wetness damage per extra module that is currently active in those reserve slots.

Overtime the slots lose their power and charge back down to 6 slots at the same rate they charge up.

This allows for the old overcharge mechanic to work with the current system without changing it or intruding upon it too much and has its own downsides that counter balances the added benefits.

Adding extra effects to already existing modules is also a very good idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seeing that dev are able to design items that have infinity use, I think the trade for wx78's circuits at one point switching circuit reset the slot charge, then also lowing circuit durability at 1/4, which is demotivating for player wearing other  combos after mid game, is a design that need tweaks for some after thought.

The superior combo is the night version and speed upgrade. After that changing combo for specific situation and consider the durability waste for such action and need to regain those ingredients for it, is become tedious after mid game. 

Suggestions is:

1:  Tho I don't think dev would ever think to make circuit with infinity use, but be able to use bio-data for repair the used circuit, Would be a great addition for not giving a obvious downside for experimenting new combos.

2. Be able to gain extra slot late game/some special add-on to circuit (f.e. like mount gems on Cratered Moonrock)for reducing slot requirements (-1 or -2) using some rare ingredients (grinding boss or special items) would be also great for the character late game fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
  • Create New...