Surviving with minimal flint, grass, and twigs

I managed to get on Jakeyosaurus' Endless server today with 17 other people.  He revealed the whole map to us, then we were teleported to a boss fight every 10 minutes with random challenges and boons thrown in.  By the time I joined, every speck of grass, twigs, and flint had been scavenged from anywhere near the spawn point.  Caves were disabled, I didn't see any touchstones on the map, and no-one had time to help anyone else.  I only found one firefly near the spawn point and that wasn't quite enough to jump in and out of before Charlie killed me.

I picked Wolfgang, thinking how string he can be in solo boss runs, but it was rough with such minimal time to prepare for a fight.  I made a deadly mistake with some guard pigs after the first boss fight.  Once I lost my inventory, it was basically game over.

It got me thinking though about the best you can make of this sort of bad situation, but I was hooping to gather some ideas.

Can you make any armor in a world with no grass?  Weapons and tools are very limited in a world without twigs, but you might be able to make a morning star if you found enough volt goats quick enough.  Portable light might be unattainable.

Character-specific advantages

• Maxwell has minions to chop, gather, and mine for him, but they don't provide light, though if they have time gather 12 rocks and 2 wood, he can create a reusable fire pit (close to the spawn point to help other players even).
  • Wendy spawns with nightlight and bodyguard Abagail.
  • Woody starts with an axe and can chop quickly.  Once he finds 3 monster meat, his ware-forms provide night vision and heat and cold resistance, though he wakes up with a heck of a hangover.  The moose even provides unarmed combat, which earned him MVP in the first boss fight.
  • Willow spawns with lighter and gets a bodyguard when insane.
  • Wigfrid spawns with armor and spear, but no chopping and no light.
  • If you spawn in the first few seconds as Wortox, you can get ahead of the other characters on the map to gather materials.

Maxwell can get to the lunar island for twigs in a world without twigs, grass, or flint.  But there's no shovel to dig them up and relocate them and there's still no portable light source cheaper than a morning star or simpler than a fire pit on a wooden boat.  Oh, there are spiky bushes and twiggy trees on the mainland...

Aha!  Dragonfly desert has tumbleweeds.  All problems basically solved.

1 hour ago, Uncrushed said:

• Maxwell has minions to chop, gather, and mine for him, but they don't provide light, though if they have time gather 12 rocks and 2 wood, he can create a reusable fire pit (close to the spawn point to help other players even).
  • Wendy spawns with nightlight and bodyguard Abagail.
  • Woody starts with an axe and can chop quickly.  Once he finds 3 monster meat, his ware-forms provide night vision and heat and cold resistance, though he wakes up with a heck of a hangover.  The moose even provides unarmed combat, which earned him MVP in the first boss fight.
  • Willow spawns with lighter and gets a bodyguard when insane.
  • Wigfrid spawns with armor and spear, but no chopping and no light.
  • If you spawn in the first few seconds as Wortox, you can get ahead of the other characters on the map to gather materials.

How are you gonna forget about Wormwood's armor when he's in your prof pic!

1 hour ago, Uncrushed said:

Aha!  Dragonfly desert has tumbleweeds.  All problems basically solved.

This mostly, or finding grass geckos. For twigs you can also pick them from the spiky plants, which most people wouldn't pick.

The thing I had happen way more often when entering +15 days worlds was that pig skin was no longer available anywhere:  all pigs were killed, and all pig houses/pig heads on a spike were hammered.

The solutions I usually ended up trying were:

1. Trying to find whatever base they made and pray that they saved some pig skin on a chest, or rebuilt at least one pig house so I can werepig it.
  2. If the base sucks, was burned already, or just doesn't exist, the second best option is to try to find the ruins and make at least one or two crowns. But if someone raided the ruins already you are pretty much screwed on this one too.
  3. If 1 and 2 failed, finding gems would be my next option, and try to go all the way to shadow manipulator tier and obtaining shadow weapons/armor
  4. I suppose you can kill bosses that drop weapons/armor, I never did that in this situation, but maybe you can.

If all of the above failed as well, you are only left with whatever character bonuses you may have, or spear/tentacle spike and log suit tier for a long time. Some other friendly characters could provide you with materials for a decent weapon/armor. Wigfrid would be the most obvious choice, but okay-ish alternatives could be Wormwood (his bramble armor is decently better than a log suit) and Wilson can easily duplicate marble for every day carry marble suits. 

Another thing I attempted was beefalo taming trying to replace weapon/armor, with either a glossamer or war saddle (since I had no pig skin for the regular saddle). It didn't work out because winter came before I could get butterflies, and I had really bad RNG for the steel wool, but I suppose its doable if you focus on it from your (late) start.

Runner up: Go Wickerbottom, bypass shadow manipulator tier with your knowledge book, kill Dfly, make starcallers, and since you are at it, use the archives lunar gems any day to make the moon stone event and bring the piggies back from the dead (Pig skin is always useful).
Runner up #2: Go Woodie, fight naked. (Moose your way through the game)

If I had to rush armor with 0 grass, Willow can try finding a snurtle den, smoking them out, and hoping for rng. 

Other characters may be able to idle next to a mush tree close by, rush over (I assume you'd need to drop lightbulbs on the way) when rocks fall and hope you can find one.

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Another thing I attempted was beefalo taming trying to replace weapon/armor, with either a glossamer or war saddle (since I had no pig skin for the regular saddle). It didn't work out because winter came before I could get butterflies, and I had really bad RNG for the steel wool, but I suppose its doable if you focus on it from your (late) start.

The one time I made a glossamer saddle, I used a construction amulet and felt that was a great use of it.  If you happen upon the right combination of catcoons and flowers, they can really speed up the butterfly wings, since they don't eat them.  Sucks about winter.

Steel wool is pretty rare unless you're chasing down most tracks you come upon.  Early in the game, the Ewecus is pretty dangerous!  I've had it kill my rider beefalo before which really sucked.

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Runner up: Go Wickerbottom, bypass shadow manipulator tier with your knowledge book, kill Dfly, make starcallers, and since you are at it, use the archives lunar gems any day to make the moon stone event and bring the piggies back from the dead (Pig skin is always useful).

This is a clever solution to your pig skin problem!  In the specific scenario that inspired this question, we had 10 minutes between boss fights to find food and heal before we were all teleported to the next one.  During that time there were things like frog rains, winter, and perpetual night.  Also, no caves.  There wasn't time for a lot of the kind of progress you'd pursue in a regular game.

+15 days worlds was that pig skin was no longer available anywhere:  all pigs were killed, and all pig houses/pig heads on a spike were hammered.

Bummer.  Even without the ham bat, the first football helmet in a game feels like a big milestone.  A shelmet is better, but by the time I'm able to kill dozens of slurtles for a supply of these, I don't really need them any more.  It's only the lucky early drop that's a real win.  Maybe a cave set piece with one of these would be nice.

The Cookie Cutter Hat is similar, but probably easier to come by, once you locate a salt area.  Wanda and Walter can shred cookie cutters.  Not sure which other characters find cookie cutters easy - Maxwell?

Woody's Moose... without being able to heal, the 90% damage reduction doesn't seem so good.  In this scenario, when many people didn't have time to craft basic armor, weapons, rain and cold protection he was amazing!  I think the person who played him just charged repeatedly, so maybe that gave him more distance for avoiding damage.

4 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

If I had to rush armor with 0 grass, Willow can try finding a snurtle den, smoking them out, and hoping for rng. 

Great idea, but no caves.

3 hours ago, Duck986 said:

if just with no grass and no caves - mostly dark armor and battle helm.

I don't see how there's time to craft a Shadow Manipulator.  The farthest I saw anyone get was an Alchemy Engine.  With more time, Night Armor is a great idea.

4 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Runner up #2: Go Woodie, fight naked. (Moose your way through the game)

Runner up #3: Quit playing on Jakeyosaurus' servers :trollface:

Actually, it's kinda posibble. Just saw that video few days ago. Surviving in Lunar, which do not have any grass.

On 5/25/2023 at 11:34 AM, Karitha said:

Actually, it's kinda posibble. Just saw that video few days ago. Surviving in Lunar, which do not have any grass.

That's the video that showed me it was possible!  Fascinating stuff.

I'm pretty sure Moon Quay Island's Unnatural Portal spits out grass and twigs, so I might try basing there.  Limited grass and twigs continue to be a problem more mid-game.  The amount of time spent running around after tumbleweeds takes away from other activities.  The grass is most limited.  Digging up and replanting spiky shrubs makes the twigs just doable without taking damage.

6 minutes ago, Uncrushed said:

I'm pretty sure Moon Quay Island's Unnatural Portal spits out grass and twigs, so I might try basing there.  Limited grass and twigs continue to be a problem more mid-game.  The amount of time spent running around after tumbleweeds takes away from other activities.  The grass is most limited.  Digging up and replanting spiky shrubs makes the twigs just doable without taking damage.

Moon Quay is much more limited in most other resources except rocks, papyrus, wood and food. Not to mention it's a pain to find (not if they revealed the map like in your case). But the amount of grass it spits is really really low.

If anything its better to transplant whatever grass and twigs plants you can find (even if they were picked already) and grow them at need for yourself with Wickerbottom. It doesn't have to be anything fancy like an automated farm, just a personal supply. And you can do that pretty much anywhere, so you can stay at any other place that has more resources. The silviculture book doesn't need a bookcase to prototype as far as I remember.

Thanks, everyone for your thoughts and suggestions - they have been clutch!  Little update after a few dozen hours as several characters.

• With such scarce resources, I think this is a better solo challenge.
  • I've forgotten to reveal the map.
  • Sometimes the game gives me twigs near the spawn though I've told it not to, so I have to regen the world.
  • I've started playing until I have a football helmet, log suit, and ham bat, or equivalent.  5 days is about average for Willow.
  • I'm streaming most of these games on twitch during US-East hours.  Come advise me in real time there!

Sequence:

• Light is the first challenge.  There are usually 1-2 nights where locating the most likely source of fireflies is key, so you can jump between them (or even in-and-out of one firefly) and not be killed by darkness.  There's still luck involved.  For some characters, this means crafting a garland to salvage some sanity.
  • Grass and Flint.  Tumbleweeds are the only reliable source of grass untill you can get to Moon Quay (more on that later).  I thought a meteor field would yield flint, but haven't found one yet!  In every non-Maxwell game, a set piece with either a pickaxe or a rook near a boulder has been my salvation.
  • There are many sources of twigs.  Digging up and replanting spiky bushes saves you from injury.
  • For my specific challenge, feeding monster meat to a pig for a ham bat seems clutch.  If I have grass for a hammer, I'll hammer a pig house for the football helmet.  If not, I get more monster meat and do a second werepig.

Best Characters for this

• Maxwell: Mine 12 rock and 2 wood.  Make fire pit for light the first night, and more pits for subsequent exploring.
  • Willow: Having a portable light the first night is amazing, as is being able to cook foods for more nutrition.
  • Woody: Starting with an axe is great, as is transforming into a beaver for flint and goose to find Dragonfly tumbleweeds.  Hard to say if he's tied with Willow or whose better.
  • Wendy: Abagail doesn't light up until day 2.  After that, she makes a decent nightlight and amazing bodyguard unless she dies, which can reset her nightlight timer.
  • Wickerbottom: While the crafting boost is nice, it doesn't overcome the lack of resources.  She doesn't get any sanity boost from early crafting, but she has 3 paths to Alchemy Engine level crafting: Science Machine, going straight to Alchemy Engine, or straight to Bookcase.  If you can craft a hammer for pig houses and get 4 gold somehow, the Alchemy Engine is achievable without any flint!  I feel she needs a top hat for sanity in addition to the football helmet to call this challenge complete.

Moon Quay

• Grass production seems a little faster than chasing tumbleweeds.
  • Crustashines drop lightbulbs if you kill enough.  Theoretically it should be about 8 kills, but it feels like much more.  I was finally able to craft a lantern on day 80 in the game where I made it here.
  • Once you burn all the monkey pods, kill all the monkeys, and eat their morsels, food is scarce, unless you fish.  The damn monkeys steal your rot on your way there, so you can't fertilize banana bush transplants.  If you leave and come back, the banana bush timer seems to reset, so you have to sit there watching them and not starve?
  • Walling off the unnatural portal is pretty easy.  Abagail is great at harvesting whatever spawns.
  • I'm going to try rushing this in a regular game as Wolfgang.  Grass raft there, turn into monkey, return to mainland and explore map faster.  Monkeys will steal meat and rot on the way there, but don't really hurt you in the process, so totally doable if you plan for that.

54 minutes ago, Uncrushed said:

Thanks, everyone for your thoughts and suggestions - they have been clutch!  Little update after a few dozen hours as several characters.

• With such scarce resources, I think this is a better solo challenge.
  • I've forgotten to reveal the map.
  • Sometimes the game gives me twigs near the spawn though I've told it not to, so I have to regen the world.
  • I've started playing until I have a football helmet, log suit, and ham bat, or equivalent.  5 days is about average for Willow.
  • I'm streaming most of these games on twitch during US-East hours.  Come advise me in real time there!

Sequence:

• Light is the first challenge.  There are usually 1-2 nights where locating the most likely source of fireflies is key, so you can jump between them and not die.  There's still luck involved.  For some characters, this means crafting a garland to salvage some sanity.
  • Grass and Flint.  Tumbleweeds are the only reliable source of grass untill you can get to Moon Quay (more on that later).  I thought a meteor field would yield flint, but haven't found one yet!  In every non-Maxwell game, a set piece with either a pickaxe or a rook near a boulder has been my salvation.
  • There are many sources of twigs.  Digging up and replanting spiky bushes saves you from injury.
  • For my specific challenge, feeding monster meat to a pig for a ham bat seems clutch.  If I have grass for a hammer, I'll hammer a pig house for the football helmet.  If not, I get more monster meat and do a second werepig.

Best Characters for this

• Maxwell: Mine 12 rock and 2 wood.  Make fire pit for light the first night, and more pits for subsequent exploring.
  • Willow: Having a portable light the first night is amazing, as is being able to cook foods for more nutrition.
  • Woody: Starting with an axe is great, as is transforming into a beaver for flint and goose to find Dragonfly tumbleweeds.  Hard to say if he's tied with Willow or whose better.
  • Wendy: Abagail doesn't light up until day 2.  After that, she makes a decent nightlight and amazing bodyguard unless she dies, which can reset her nightlight timer.
  • Wickerbottom: While the crafting boost is nice, it doesn't overcome the lack of resources.  I felt like hunger and sanity were draining fast, but it may just have been that it took more time and she doesn't get any sanity boost from early crafting.

Moon Quay

• Grass production seems a little faster than chasing tumbleweeds.
  • Crustashines drop lightbulbs if you kill enough.  Theoretically it should be about 8 kills, but it feels like much more.  I was finally able to craft a lantern on day 80 in the game where I made it here.
  • Once you burn all the monkey pods, kill all the monkeys, and eat their morsels, food is scarce, unless you fish.  The damn monkeys steal your rot on your way there, so you can't fertilize banana bush transplants.  If you leave and come back, the banana bush timer seems to reset, so you have to sit there watching them and not starve?
  • Walling off the unnatural portal is pretty easy.  Abagail is great at harvesting whatever spawns.
  • I'm going to try rushing this in a regular game as Wolfgang.  Grass raft there, turn into monkey, return to mainland and explore map faster.  Monkeys will steal meat and rot on the way there, but don't really hurt you in the process, so totally doable if you plan for that.

I actually did this run in lights out, except with everything that can be turned off… turned off. super fun if you wanna check my profile for it

Archived