Jump to content

New-ish player asking for character recommendations for public server play


Recommended Posts

So, since i have begun playing dst i have played wendy and exactly 1 game of webber that i rage quit because i died in a bad spot (lol, plus that day i was bored of dst)

I like wendy alot, but i want to try other characters and on wendy i feel like i have limited impact and dont help much unless its with mob farming (bees,spiders,etc) and mostly use her for my own survival (abigail is my portable lamp and bodygaurd in one :p)

I was thinking of chars like wigfrid, maxwell, walter (and maybe taking a crack at webber again but ik he doesnt gel well on public servers except for silk/spider farms) but those are just people i have looked at.

What do you all have to say? Who would a wendy mains skills transfer most well to, and who helps the most on public server/ tips on being useful as a wendy main maybe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your going to heavily disagree with me on this but as a Wendy Main, as in an Original DS Wendy Main.. Willow Would be a good choice, Why? Because in the Original DS you had to kite enemies into Abigail before she would attack them, Willow now has to do this with Bernie. You still get to keep your easy light at night, and A.I. Companion to aid in Combat

My second choice would be Wanda, but I will need to explain why..

as a Wendy main there are several things Wendy actually excels at doing she’s more than just an AoE ghost blender, she can also easily mass farm silk, spider glands, for top hats, tents, healing salves, and of course- Tell Tale hearts to inevitably revive all the noobs dying. Wendy’s Sisturn which is used to speed up the time it takes for Abigail to reach full strength, also doubles down as a Sanity Fountain, giving players who stand near to it free Sanity Regeneration when it’s filled with flower petals.

Abigail also bestows a petal Debuff onto enemies she attacks, allowing anyone who attacks what Abby is attacking to deal boosted damage.

Where does Wanda come into play? The reviving of dead players… Wanda is the ONLY character who is better at this than Wendy.

For ever other character (including Webber & Winona) it’ll take a good bit of setup to get a good silk & healing gland farm going.

Wanda however can literally rewind players deaths on a cooldown timer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would say it might be worth it to try to find the Splumonkeys in the Caves as soon as you can, Wall in their Huts and farm them with Abigal.
You'll have a nice steady source of Cave Bananas, Nightmare Fuel, Beard Hair, Manure, and Morsels. That's all useful for everyone.
When you can. build yourself a Firepit, Kitchen and some Chests nearby so you're somewhat comfortable down there, in a safe spot.
Wendys favorite Dish is Banana Pops, but Banana Shakes are great too. 
There are probably a bunch of other things Wendy can do instead, this is just one strategy/idea. 

Public servers are like public school and public transportation. Avoid them if possible. If you have no other option, try to find one where people are cooperating with each other. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wendy is a pretty popular character because she helps with a lot.  So what is it that you're wanting to do that you feel Wendy isn't helping with?

ps - I think Maxwell start is one of the best characters to try out, even if there are other Maxwell he still helps.  His resource needs are pretty low, and team impact is pretty high.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A pretty neutral character gameplay wise is wx78, theyve got slightly below average stats, but this can be remedied by their modules, among other things such as infinite light/night vision, immunity to freezing/overheating, plus they dont have to deal with spoilage. If you're looking for public servers and not single player worlds, i wouldnt go wx, as the time to set up all your modules isnt worth it on worlds that tend to not last very long. If you're confident in your ability to kill small mobs (spiders, butterflies, bees), Wortox is probably the best suited for short term public server worlds, as he has the most readily available source of healing in the game, a teleport to get out of danger, and food that never spoils. Only real downside is that he's a dlc character, so you'll have to pay to unlock him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Walter is the best character for public servers in my opinion.. feed woby three monster meat and you get big woby which gives you a massive speed boost for exploring, doesnt matter if you dont get a walking cane.

His camper tent is a must craft for cheap easy healing of both health and sanity anywhere, his tent is fantastic for healing wormwood players or anyone really tbh. Its a quite good team perk.

Just make sure you craft a grass suit asap then prototype a log suit and wear his pinecone hat at all times. This will greatly reduce your sanity loss from getting hit and from being injured. Because of wobys inventory slots, i recommend not crafting a backpack as walter cause you dont need it.

Slingshot with gold rounds are great for killing tentacles, pigs, bats... pretty much its great for any awkward to melee kill mobs. Spiders/hounds you can just tank with your spear/pinecone hat/log suit then heal up in your camper tent after.

Always make sure to have 2 log suits at all times, if one breaks replace it quickly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gashzer said:

Walter is the best character for public servers in my opinion.. feed woby three monster meat and you get big woby which gives you a massive speed boost for exploring, doesnt matter if you dont get a walking cane.

His camper tent is a must craft for cheap easy healing of both health and sanity anywhere, his tent is fantastic for healing wormwood players or anyone really tbh. Its a quite good team perk.

Just make sure you craft a grass suit asap then prototype a log suit and wear his pinecone hat at all times. This will greatly reduce your sanity loss from getting hit and from being injured. Because of wobys inventory slots, i recommend not crafting a backpack as walter cause you dont need it.

Slingshot with gold rounds are great for killing tentacles, pigs, bats... pretty much its great for any awkward to melee kill mobs. Spiders/hounds you can just tank with your spear/pinecone hat/log suit then heal up in your camper tent after.

Always make sure to have 2 log suits at all times, if one breaks replace it quickly.

Woby dont transform in full moon 0/10 in lore.

But not gonna lie, walter is a good character if you dont use his slingshot, it is just that horrible, but when I started a world and just throwed his slingshot in to trash, it was an amazing gameplay.

10/10 in gameplay (without slingshot)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, dois raios said:

Woby dont transform in full moon 0/10 in lore.

But not gonna lie, walter is a good character if you dont use his slingshot, it is just that horrible, but when I started a world and just throwed his slingshot in to trash, it was an amazing gameplay.

10/10 in gameplay (without slingshot)

Slingshot is pretty dam convenient, i mean you arnt gonna use it all the time but when you do use it (killing mushgnomes, big/regular tentacles, crows for map scroll as walter is the scout with fast exploration might as well share your map, baiting koalafants etc..) its definitely nice to have with you at all times.

For bosses, gold rounds destroy phase 2 leaping klaus without needing speed boosts. Can bait nightmare werepig to charge if he lurks. Thulecite rounds have a similar dps to dark swords when fighting slow or stationary bosses like toadstool/antlion/phase 3 CC that cant move away from the shadow tentacles that get spawned. 

Slingshot is very underrated :wilsoalmostangelic:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dois raios said:

Woby dont transform in full moon 0/10 in lore.

But not gonna lie, walter is a good character if you dont use his slingshot, it is just that horrible, but when I started a world and just throwed his slingshot in to trash, it was an amazing gameplay.

10/10 in gameplay (without slingshot)

As much as i weep over how bad slingshot is it still has it's uses.

I mostly use it for the Poop pellets and Marble pellets tho and rarely touch other rounds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree that slingshot has it uses, but for me, my experience trying to use this perk was bad, if I just ignore that mechanic the character is just better in my opinion.

It is just so expensive to get enough materials for marble round and thulecite rounds, that when I switched to the old and good ham bat, it was more rewarding than using the slingshot itself.

And it is frustating having to use the slingshot, it deals less damage than engaging in combat, it is so slow to shoot, and the ones that deal good damage are way more exensive than it should be (in my opinion).

Now, feeding woby and travelling the world is very satisfying, and the mechanic that benefits the player if not taking damage is also good (Although it penalize more than it should be, again, in my opinion).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, dois raios said:

I agree that slingshot has it uses, but for me, my experience trying to use this perk was bad, if I just ignore that mechanic the character is just better in my opinion.

It is just so expensive to get enough materials for marble round and thulecite rounds, that when I switched to the old and good ham bat, it was more rewarding than using the slingshot itself.

And it is frustating having to use the slingshot, it deals less damage than engaging in combat, it is so slow to shoot, and the ones that deal good damage are way more exensive than it should be (in my opinion).

Now, feeding woby and travelling the world is very satisfying, and the mechanic that benefits the player if not taking damage is also good (Although it penalize more than it should be, again, in my opinion).

Your mistake was using the Slingshot as a weapon :P instead of a utility.

It absolutely sucks and is very expensive to use as a weapon but it's quite good as an utility.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ALCRD said:

Your mistake was using the Slingshot as a weapon :P instead of a utility.

It absolutely sucks and is very expensive to use as a weapon but it's quite good as an utility.

If you get lucky with loot stash spawn, you can technically cheese Klaus with just a boat+slingshot. Bad weapon? I don't think so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, _zwb said:

If you get lucky with loot stash spawn, you can technically cheese Klaus with just a boat+slingshot. Bad weapon? I don't think so.

"It's totally not a bad weapon you just have to be super lucky with stash spawn and have lifetime supply of Marble/Gold at hand to 'cheese' a fairly easy boss" 

Right.. 

Spoiler

Pssst. Fighting Klaus normally is not that bad and way less time and resource intense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

"It's totally not a bad weapon you just have to be super lucky with stash spawn and have lifetime supply of Marble/Gold at hand to 'cheese' a fairly easy boss" 

Right.. 

  Reveal hidden contents

Pssst. Fighting Klaus normally is not that bad and way less time and resource intense.

Well, by lucky I mean the ~ 20 possible spawns has one next to the ocean. You can use signs to block others so it will only spawn at the good one.

This is just an example, and you can do the same thing to celestial champion with a gap. That's a lot harder to cheese.
Also you can increase the attack speed by first attacking with ice staff then switching to slingshot before the projectile hits, because of how projectiles are simulated, the weapon in your hand when projectile hits matters only. So you can literally attack at ice staff speed.

Best weapon? Not really, but certainly useful when you want to keep your distance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, _zwb said:

Well, by lucky I mean the ~ 20 possible spawns has one next to the ocean. You can use signs to block others so it will only spawn at the good one.

This is just an example, and you can do the same thing to celestial champion with a gap. That's a lot harder to cheese.
Also you can increase the attack speed by first attacking with ice staff then switching to slingshot before the projectile hits, because of how projectiles are simulated, the weapon in your hand when projectile hits matters only. So you can literally attack at ice staff speed.

Best weapon? Not really, but certainly useful when you want to keep your distance.

So i need to use exploits and another item to make it not suck so much as a ranged weapon?

Got it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, _zwb said:

This is not an exploit. This is a feature.

Sure it is 

Totally working as intended. Just like the likes of animation cancelling in Stardew Valley to hit faster with certain weapons than you normally can or chop trees faster than the game allows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

Sure it is 

Totally working as intended. Just like the likes of animation cancelling in Stardew Valley to hit faster with certain weapons than you normally can or chop trees faster.

Whatever I don't really care.

Also we're getting away from the topic of character choice now...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ALCRD said:

"It's totally not a bad weapon you just have to be super lucky with stash spawn and have lifetime supply of Marble/Gold at hand to 'cheese' a fairly easy boss" 

Right.. 

  Hide contents

Pssst. Fighting Klaus normally is not that bad and way less time and resource intense.

Using the slingshot for the whole klaus fight is dumb, he is ez to kite until he leaps even without speed boosts. However for his last 5000hp switching to gold rounds to avoid getting chomped is great if you havnt got a cane or mag yet (this can be an issue joining late into a public game or if everyone beats you to killing mactusks). You dont need a boat or a million marble rounds. 139 gold rounds is needed to do 5000hp damage so 14gold is pretty reasonable to gather.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love how this thread went from picking a character who’s skills are close to Wendy’s, to a whole tantrum about how much Walter does or Doesn’t suck.

And as a Wendy Main, Walter would be one of the LAST characters I would compare Wendy to.

Wendy can easily restore sanity with endless tophats, Sisturn, I rarely ever have a problem keeping her sanity capped at max.. Walter get hit once and your sanity starts dropping like you just accidentally walked in on your 70 yr old grandma in the shower..

Walter most defiantly in no way shape or form would be in my top 5 characters who have similar gameplay to Wendy.

InFact: I would say Wolfgang is a closer match, Wendy with Abigail = Boosted Damage. Wolfgang just existing = Boosted Damage. You have to do a Mini-Game to get Mourning Glory to make your perk more powerful, you have to do a Mini-Game of smashing a button in the right spot while lifting heavy stuff on a Gym to make Wolfgang’s perk more powerful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I love how this thread went from picking a character who’s skills are close to Wendy’s, to a whole tantrum about how much Walter does or Doesn’t suck.

And as a Wendy Main, Walter would be one of the LAST characters I would compare Wendy to.

Wendy can easily restore sanity with endless tophats, Sisturn, I rarely ever have a problem keeping her sanity capped at max.. Walter get hit once and your sanity starts dropping like you just accidentally walked in on your 70 yr old grandma in the shower..

Walter most defiantly in no way shape or form would be in my top 5 characters who have similar gameplay to Wendy.

InFact: I would say Wolfgang is a closer match, Wendy with Abigail = Boosted Damage. Wolfgang just existing = Boosted Damage. You have to do a Mini-Game to get Mourning Glory to make your perk more powerful, you have to do a Mini-Game of smashing a button in the right spot while lifting heavy stuff on a Gym to make Wolfgang’s perk more powerful.

My problem with Wendy is that wormwood can convert your entire team into abigails by crafting bramble husks for everyone. Wendys entire power gets overshadowed by just one of wormwood's many abilities.. why be wendy when you can be wormwood? Plus Walters camper tent is far better than unlimited tophats and sisturn combined and is really cheap to craft.

Walter main benefit to playing on pubs is his lack of dependency on rng/not affected by other players... if you dont get a walking cane or if every beefalo was sneakly murdered, doesnt matter you will always have big woby for speed boost that no one can take away. Wanda for example needs marbles, needs a purple gem, needs a red gem, needs thulecite fragments... what if some1 already dug up the graves,or mined all the marble, looted them an quit, or already rushed ruins and doesnt want to share with you, getting an alarming clock gets abit more annoying then. 

If you use log suit with pinecone hat or thulecite suit later. The sanity on hit is nothing to worry about. Got to get away from the head slot armour meta hehe

Walter wearing a marble suit and riding woby can actually tank a standard 75hp hit or 100 hp hit from a boss without even bucking... pretty nice if you are playing a coward/slingshot only walter playstyle :wilsoalmostangelic:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Gashzer said:

My problem with Wendy is that wormwood can convert your entire team into abigails by crafting bramble husks for everyone. Wendys entire power gets overshadowed by just one of wormwood's many abilities.. why be wendy when you can be wormwood?

does this imply that wendy's power is also overshadowed by every other aoe effect in the game? in that case winona can make 'infinite' higher damage, higher health versions of abigail that can be used by any character, wx can become abigail by killing an electric volt goat (which iirc it has a resistance to), maxwell, webber, wurt, and wickerbottom with grumble bees can have their followers easily kill small mobs for an effective aoe, and at the cost of some papyrus and sanity wickerbottom can make worse versions of winona catapults with tentacles.

what makes wendy special is that abigail is available from the beginning so one can effectively have what could be considered an easily accessible, healable, and buffable second player just by playing her and its honestly a lot easier than all the prior methods mentioned

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, lenship2 said:

does this imply that wendy's power is also overshadowed by every other aoe effect in the game? in that case winona can make 'infinite' higher damage, higher health versions of abigail that can be used by any character, wx can become abigail by killing an electric volt goat (which iirc it has a resistance to), maxwell, webber, wurt, and wickerbottom with grumble bees can have their followers easily kill small mobs for an effective aoe, and at the cost of some papyrus and sanity wickerbottom can make worse versions of winona catapults with tentacles.

what makes wendy special is that abigail is available from the beginning so one can effectively have what could be considered an easily accessible, healable, and buffable second player just by playing her and its honestly a lot easier than all the prior methods mentioned

Winonas catapult arnt mobile, wx voltage is terrible, followers are not aoe.

Wormwood can make bramble husks very quickly (bee hives are everywhere), giving AoE abilities to everyone on the team... meaning everyone can farm spiders just as easy as wendy.  You can heal any damage using spider glands.

The only thing wendy is good for is rushing bee queen, bramble husks dont do enough damage to grumble bees. But if you want to rush bee queen, winona is better for that as well as she sets up all future bee queen farming.

Winona and Wormwood both are much better than Wendy. The easy access of abigail is great for noobs i wont lie... but for the average player and above abigail is pretty useless.

Willow can farm any mob pretty easy with bernie (Willow can manipulate her sanity using mushrooms and her lighter), plus she can farm nightmare creatures which is so unique as all important high tier stuff needs fuel. Again Willow is better than wendy.

Even woodie is a better character. He has AoE of moose plus all his other utility wood chopping power.

Wendy is one of the most overrated garbage characters in the game, shes a favourite for noobs and people who like her skins (she is an aesthetically pretty good character tbh)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
  • Create New...