[Theory] What's supposed to follow The Gorge?

Edit: Ah, sorry for my mistake. If an administrator sees it, could you please help me move this topic to "general discussion"?

We all know that, when Klei changed development plans in 2018, it left a huge black hole in DSLore: "What happened between The Gorge and Retrun of Them arc?". Recently I was checking some game strings, looking back at The Forge and The Gorge with the perspective of knowing the story that followe. This led to a relatively complete theory, but of course it didn't answer questions like "Where did Billy and Mumsy go?" Only a general range can be determined.

here we go:

[Part 1: What Happened in "Retrun of Them" and Why it Happen?]

In the entire ROT arc prior to EoS, the moon actually only did two things:

1. It's growing in strength.

2. Part of the lunar surface split and fell, creating Lunar island. In EoS we know that the lunar surface is the "shell" of a supernatural entity named Alter, and when it reaches the peak of its powers and fully awakens, the surface of the moon will completely split open, exposing Alter's eyes. So we can think of the creation of the Lunar island as part of this process, and as a sign of growing in strength.

So where does the Alter get its power? In the game world, the only source of lunar magic other than the Alter itself is the Ancient Gateway, and in The Forge Short, we see Charlie getting lunar magic from the Ancient Gateway. It is likely that these lunar magic will eventually be used to awaken Alter as part of Charlie's plan.

Charlie's machinations have come to a head as she turns her attention towards the skies - and the mysterious entity that awaits there. Our Survivors will be forced to contend with terrifying monstrosities beyond their comprehension, and yet, there may be a silver lining: their minds and horizons will be expanded under the sublime light of an ancient moon.

But the Ancient Gateway is only a portal, and these magic can only come from the other side of the portal, which is connected to The Forge, The Gorge, and other Gate Realm that may exist. Then there must be a power source in these worlds that transmits lunar magic to the main world.

[Part 2: Where does the lunar magic come from?]

Of the two Gate Realm we know of, there is indeed a lunar magic energy source, Gnaw.

According to Maxwell's speech, Gnaw doesn't just eat food, it turns it into magic. It was used to transform creatures into merm and produced various coins, the most powerful of which was Gnaw's Favor, which contained an Iridescent Gem, a symbol of lunar magic. In other words, the Gnaw partially convert the food they eat into lunar magic.

"I'm not sure how it draws magic from this."——Maxwell, examine The Altar of Gnaw

In The Forge, Pugner tells us his worldview, that the Gatekeeper, the Throne, and "Them" belong to a force whose control spans the worlds and whose activities are quite destructive. Pugner opposed this force and was banished to the barren world of The Forge.

As the second event in Gatekeepers arc, The Gorge must somehow be linked to the entire arc, not just a random stuff. Mumsy's only reference to the gatekeeper makes it clear that their attitude towards this power is different from Pugner's. If The Forge world is the world of the revolutionary, The Gorge is probably a classic world of submission to that force. In this world, the Gnaw is squeezing the indigenous people in very disastrous ways, generating the lunar magic "They" need.That's exactly what Pugner said.

[Part 3: What if all this is right, what happened between The Gorge and Retrun of Them arc?]

Gnaw and other potentially similar supernatural entity in the gate realm exploit the indigenous people and produce lunar magic. This magic was channelled through the ancient gateways to the Main world and offered to Alter. In the Gatekeeper arc, the survivors reopen the Ancient Gateway as they attempt to return home. The lunar magic transfer resumes, and the Alter wakes up, or Charlie gives the Alter the magic to wake it up.

So what we're likely to see is more supernatural entity exploiting indigenous people in different ways, producing (or processing?) lunar magic, the inhabitants of different worlds treat the "gatekeepers - Them - throne" forces in different ways. And, possibly, hints and Revelations about ROT arc.

From what I understand, after Forge and Gorge ended, our survivors harnested some kind of power for Charlie (as can be seen in the end of Forge trailer) and then they hopped back to The Constant, and from what it looks like when survivors examine Forge/Gorge winter feast tree decorations - they experience  a memory lost. 

With new powers at hand, Charlie continue her manipulations (buffing Survivors, at least Maxwell?)  and "summon" fall of the Moon? 

I always thought it would be neat if there was a 3rd event that actually explained what happened. You have Health - Forge, Hunger - Gorge, than what about Sanity - ???. I guess because they couldn't sustain the servers they decided to cancel whatever they were doing next. Also I never noticed, and I have no idea how I didn't, that the iridescent gem is on the gnaws favor. Also the idea of the gnaw turning the food into magic is really cool. Overall this is a very well done analysis!

7 hours ago, Cassielu said:

Of the two Gate Realm we know of, there is indeed a lunar magic energy source, Gnaw.

But isn't Alter created Gnaw?

7 hours ago, Cassielu said:

Charlie gives the Alter the magic to wake it up.

What you think why is she wanted to do this?

8 hours ago, maciu67 said:

But isn't Alter created Gnaw?

Well, I haven't found any evidence for that, but I like the theory, it fits in well with mine.

If Gnaw was created as part of this system., it makes sense.

9 hours ago, maciu67 said:

What you think why is she wanted to do this?

I don't know. But I think this is Metheus's idea, Axiom Visus short is like she's showing Charlie what she knows about the moon. The stage play also mentions that she was looking for someone who would set "Them" free. (When referring to the mirror they use a lowercase t, only this one they use a capital T so it's not the mirror itself.)

Perhaps she wanted to delve into Archive Builders aka their own history. Or maybe she has some ideas about the way ancient civilizations used magic. Or maybe she's like a crazy person screaming "I told you so."

Alrighty- my understanding of the lore, formed by the events we know of, stuff revealed to us... and my prejudice to how Klei creates updates/lore.

-In game the Gateway resets the ruins, which Wanda kind of tries to canonize by saying something along the lines of 'It merged the timelines' (or smth). But I don't buy it, the Gateway is most likely just a portal, fueled by Nightmare and Lunar magic. Or is it? All of its in-game animations showcase it drawing in shadow magic. It was only when the ruins, ancients and the gateway were all intact, that the white magic (which back during metheus murals most forumites refered to as 'light magic' or something since lunar magic wasn't even really a thing) is seen. 

And sure, in the Forge's trailer the gateway's portal has some white effects, but that could be simply the artistic representation of a portal. Same with the energy Charlie was collecting, I never thought that it could be lunar magic specifically simply because... Forge was 2 years before RoT begun. I really doubt that Klei had the lore of RoT thought out back then. Given past 4 years, the devs don't strike me as the ones that have the lore of an entire arc figured out before they start it.

I actually made a thread discussing Klei's approach to lore recetly, here. I believe that the Gorge's end and RoT's beggining can be connected together incredibly easy and in that thread I gave a brief explanation.

Charlie was most likely just sucking up the gateway's energy. Or the energy/magic of the dimensions the survivors were visiting

-Alter, the creation of the lunar islands, lunar magic. I really doubt that Charlie/They would want to wake Alter up on purpose... unless Klei is going for some ridiculous "I woke you up so I could beat you up" arc. Lunar magic seems to be at a direct war with the shadow magic, to the point that during full moons shadow magic seems to not work (not properly translated to the gameplay, of course). So the shadows were doing the best when Alter was dormant

Alter is an eldritch being, let's give it some credit. I'm sure that even when it was just a dormant, uncracked 'moon' it was very aware of what was going on in the Constant and didn't need to be spoon-fed Gateway's magic by Charlie to wake up (which Charlie most likely wouldn't want to do anyway). 

After the gateway arc (my theory): the survivors were most likely returned to the Constant, either through dumb luck, of going back after only 2 dimensions, or because Charlie had messed with the gateway (after all there's no canonical explanation why they can't just... activate it again. Did Charlie steal the key?). After absorbing the generic energy from the gateway Charlie (and though her, shadows) grew stronger, which tipped the balance of powers, which caused Alter to drop a piece of itself into the Constant, creating the lunar islands. Also, Alter is the source of the lunar magic, not Gnaw. In fact Alter is so much lunar magic that the only reason why enlightment/mutations are a thing on the L. I. is because Alter dropped one of its energy-libs with the island (we can see its missing limb in the Axiom Visus trailer).

When it comes to opals... I think they are just the battery of the gems. A gem that can store some energy of powerful beings (like Alter and Gnaw). It's not restricted to the lunar magic. None of the characters say anything "it's a moon gem" about it, just that it can store magic/energy... and that it's pretty.

So in summary, what happened between Gorge and RoT:

We don't know, Klei never bothered to connect those 2 together, which really sucks as this is basically the same thing as if the Cyclum comics/New Reign cinematic never happened. We'd be wondering/making theories how singleplayer turned into multiplayer, how did Charlie end up on the Throne etc.

But my headcanon?:

Gorge end -> Survivors and Goats flee the Gorge, flying through the black-and-white spirals of dimension-travelling. Charlie messes with the gateway while absorbing its energy, causes the survivors to return, the Goats keep on going. Because of the energy absorption, Charlie/Shadows grew stronger, Alter dropped a large piece of its shell, with one of its energy-libs to create the Lunar Islands and intervene -> RoT begins.

What happened to the Goats? Mumsy and Billy visited multiple other dimensions with gateways, meeting strange humanoid creatures, collecting various plants, trinkets other souvenirs. And hopefully one day they'll end up in the Constant with their own little area where they trade all those souvenirs (and gorge items) with the survivors, in a big, proper update with a cinematic explaining this entire headcanon and a new batch of victorian skins. To finally. Connect with the RoT. And close. The gateway arc.

Archived