Brightshade infestations are prone to getting incredibly repetitive and uninteresting.

Initially, it seems cool to be jumped on by a fresh new mob, but what about the fifth time? The fourty-sixth time? Brightmare wave on your decor berry bushes #331 on day 2481?

As things stand, this beta makes it seem like killing CC is some form of griefing, by causing an incredibly tedious-to-kill mob to spawn randomly on your decorative berry bushes or twig/grass farms. There's 0 way to prevent them, 0 precaution measures possible on the surface and it's just a forever annoyance. That they require specific crafts in order to not be even more annoying to kill is another nail in the coffin.
None of the new crafts or the enlightened crown are worth this and they still wouldn't be if they were buffed. This is just a garbage mechanic, at least add a way around it so it isn't just a permanent anti-qol in return for a handful of awful crafts and an aggressively unpopular crown, a punishment for a tedious journey.

I don't feel like killing CC at all like this, the "progression" seems more like putting on clown makeup and taking up a new hobby of pulling weeds constantly. It will get boring so fast.
This wouldn't be so terrible if you could protect your plants/builds from it in some way, or if it wasn't a """reward""" at the end of a long journey of tasks that were mostly unrewarding to begin with. Congrats, you did all that! Now deal with new annoying mobs that spawn semi-randomly.

Just now, maxwell_winters said:

They shouldn't balance the game around "decorative berry bushes". Arguments like this prevent us from getting more late game challenges. There is barely anything to do right now after beating AF and CC. 

That was just an example. This is no "late game challenge", this is irritable self-sabotage at its best.
You're just killing the same mobs over and over again. What's that gonna add to the to-do list after AFW and CC? No different than a self-inflicted, worse hound wave. World damage.

There are a million ways to make post-cc/fw worlds more fun than they are without permanently infesting the world with such mobs, literally almost all of which would be more succesful at the goal at hand. Also, no, the game should be balanced in accordance with all playstyles, be it boss rushing or megabasing.

If anything there should be preventative measures that can be taken to prevent the game literally punishing the player for beating a boss. Hardmode in terraria does make the world more dangerous but it gives you many much better ways to cope with it, most notably NPCs/light countering the spawn rates of mobs so your builds aren't overran.

Not even a fair comparison since Terraria is an adventure side-scroller with much more linear progression, but you get the gist.

15 minutes ago, Bearger Enjoyer said:

That was just an example. This is no "late game challenge", this is irritable self-sabotage at its best.
You're just killing the same mobs over and over again. What's that gonna add to the to-do list after AFW and CC? No different than a self-inflicted, worse hound wave. World damage.

Your killing a late game mob who takes hold of your resources the key to your survival. Idk that sounds like a late game challenge to me heck if I'm not remembering wrong I'm pretty sure something like this was a suggestion made afew years ago.

2 minutes ago, Bearger Enjoyer said:

To be honest, I’d rather have rifts with random mobs spewing out that can potentially shake up the combat or thing I need to be doing a little bit, rather than the same old tiresome predictable hound waves.

When I say potentially shake up what I need to be doing, the current beta mob seems to target “crops” (and let’s face it ever since the RWYS update crops have been pretty dang OP) this means instead of running a pack of hounds to the nearest tree guard to trick them into fighting one another: These New Mobs target my Crops over chasing after me, so I’ll need to break away from the tiresome formula of “run hound wave to nearest distraction” and I’ll actually have to “Defend” my crops in sort of a mini “Tower-Defense” scenario.

I can only see these changes as a GOOD thing for the game, and since they can optionally be turned off, I don’t see your issue with their existence, megabasers already admit to toggling off wildfires, so what’s one more serious world threat being toggled off gonna do to harm them?

Speaking of serious world threats, you can toggle wildfires to happen MORE OFTEN if your crazy like me and just want to see the world turn to a miserable blazing inferno, Klei has been designing this game and content updates around the safety net that is Mega-Basers, and I just don’t think that’s FAIR when there’s options to toggle OFF things like Wildfires or Portal Rifts.

In my mind I’m thinking that Meteor Showers should be more destructive & instead of falling in their predictable biome, be able to fall anywhere in the world- and why SHOULDNT I have that as a World Gen OPTION if it can be toggled On or Off??

If Klei starts listening to complaints about portal rifts NOW they’ll end up just like pirate raids (Aka once a fun almost entire ocean spanning threat, that now literally only show up when your very close to Moon Quay OR if you build a hostile flare to summon them yourself…)

It is VERY Clear to me that with the original design intent of Pirate Raids, and these new “Rifts” that Klei wanted to make the survival aspects of the game much more of a focus.

And to be honest about it it took me 2 and a half real human days to sail around my ocean and find the MoonQuay Island in my most recent game world, But when the update FIRST came out, since raids were more frequently happening I could sail in the direction the raids were coming at me from and eventually find Moon Quay, NOW it’s like searching for a Needle in a Haystack- and their reduced frequency has made it harder to find the island.

All of this is Relevant to your topic because it’s the clearest example of how players who weren’t willing to accept major changes to the game, ruined something for players who were excited for those changes- And NOW interacting with that content at all is literally scouring the highly empty oceans to find it.

TL:DR- please don’t start complaining about exciting new content to the point Klei gets scared of major changes to the game and turns it into another Pirate raid scenario.

14 minutes ago, Bearger Enjoyer said:

I do think it is sort of the responsibility of the player to handle the aftermath of summoning the mysterious energy and killing Celestial Champion. This was something the player did intentionally, and I feel as though anyone who understands the path to killing Celestial Champion should know there will be repercussions to their actions and to their world.

However, I agree that the brightmare lunar plant waves are just painfully annoying. The way you fight them is just not fun with having to fight a root which loves to hide instead of actually fight the player, and having the plant you have to kill have a short cooldown on summoning these roots. Why does the root do 75 damage and the lunar plant itself do 130 damage to the player, is it because we are post-CC that everything must 2 shot you it just feels so unnecessary? Why does "planar" damage exist and what is its purpose except artificially extending the time it takes to kill the plant? Why does the brightmare plant only drop one lunar plant husk, why do I have to take so long to kill more lunar thrall plants when the other ingredient, pure brilliance, can be easily mined at the portal?

I am for invading bases if they cause no extreme damage, but at least make the brightmare plants fun and rewarding to fight by themselves.

14 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

When I say potentially shake up what I need to be doing, the current beta mob seems to target “crops” (and let’s face it ever since the RWYS update crops have been pretty dang OP) this means instead of running a pack of hounds to the nearest tree guard to trick them into fighting one another: These New Mobs target my Crops over chasing after me, so I’ll need to break away from the tiresome formula of “run hound wave to nearest distraction” and I’ll actually have to “Defend” my crops in sort of a mini “Tower-Defense” scenario.

It targets grass, saplings, berry bushes, anything. There is no spawn cap or any way to control them. You cannot avoid them.

TL:DR- please don’t start complaining about exciting new content to the point Klei gets scared of major changes to the game and turns it into another Pirate raid scenario.

Pirate raids are a mistake and one of the worst mechanics ever implemented. It just hurts the already few reasons to sail by punishing you for checking out new content or wanting to sail for a long time. No similar mechanic will ever be well-received by most people for obvious reasons.

12 minutes ago, Pumking7 said:

I do think it is sort of the responsibility of the player to handle the aftermath of summoning the mysterious energy and killing Celestial Champion. This was something the player did intentionally, and I feel as though anyone who understands the path to killing Celestial Champion should know there will be repercussions to their actions and to their world.

Given that I don't feel the rewards for CC is worthwhile, this feels like griefing if I did it in someone else's world, or say: a public server where people cannot turn it off. What then?

I can only see these changes as a GOOD thing for the game, and since they can optionally be turned off, I don’t see your issue with their existence, megabasers already admit to toggling off wildfires, so what’s one more serious world threat being toggled off gonna do to harm them?

Speaking of serious world threats, you can toggle wildfires to happen MORE OFTEN if your crazy like me and just want to see the world turn to a miserable blazing inferno, Klei has been designing this game and content updates around the safety net that is Mega-Basers, and I just don’t think that’s FAIR when there’s options to toggle OFF things like Wildfires or Portal Rifts.

Megabaser or not, there are better ways to implement threats such as this, and players deserve the ability to take better safety precautions in default settings. What about public servers? If I kill CC there will I not have griefed everyone? It is simply not fair to ruin a server for others with them having no other way to cope with it.

Alterations this dramatic to this world should be REVERSIBLE. You can turn moonstorms off but not this.

40 minutes ago, Bearger Enjoyer said:

Hardmode in terraria does make the world more dangerous but it gives you many much better ways to cope with it,

It's only the first update of post-final boss content. They might add post-AF content in the next update (I'm 90% certain they will), which introduces buff Shadow Creatures that drop Pure Horror. And the new items in this update would feel way more useful with their extra damage against the shadows. So you'd get a more dangerous world (Pure Horror Monsters) and better ways to cope with them (Brightshade gear).

9 minutes ago, maxwell_winters said:

It's only the first update of post-final boss content. They might add post-AF content in the next update (I'm 90% certain they will), which introduces buff Shadow Creatures that drop Pure Horror. And the new items in this update would feel way more useful with their extra damage against the shadows. So you'd get a more dangerous world (Pure Horror Monsters) and better ways to cope with them (Brightshade gear).

As things stand it seems like a very incomplete update that shouldn't have made it to beta. 
Wildfires give you distinct ways to cope with them, moonstorms can be turned off, pirate raids can be avoided by not sailing near moonquay or sinking their boat. But there's no way around this 1k hp mob with invulnerability that serves as an incredibly annoying to fight stationary hound wave that can spawn anywhere on the map.
Just like with hound waves it gets super old and boring.

2 minutes ago, Bearger Enjoyer said:

As things stand it seems like a very incomplete update that shouldn't have made it to beta. 

While I might not agree with everything in this thread I can fully agree with this. This statement explains a lot of my distaste with this update. It is very barebones for what has come out.

Having read this thread I want to say this: If you have not played the beta, I Do Not want to hear your opinions on this particular beta. Period.

I guess to some people getting vague descriptions of what's being introduced can sound mesmerizing and exciting through novelty. But I am here to say, this brand new mechanic of planar dmg is a total headache because as others have stated, the base game communicates nothing about enemies health, and weapon dmg output. And I refuse to believe that anyone who has actually tested fighting the new brightshade plants themselves would think they are currently a rewarding nor fun fight. 

At least when I played it 6 of these plants had settled at my base all on the crops sorta split into two groups of three plants. Each one has a vine with 200 hp and the base plant that you can only attack after slaying the root for a brief refractory period before it regens a new vine has 1000 hp. With them clustered in groups like this where there are 6 in a small area, I could not fathom how anyone would be expected to clear this out solo and live. I was toggling godmode and it was still miserable because of planar defense, the dark swords break pretty fast and the plants are just total damage sponges. Something needs to change because fighting a mini boss like this and having it yield one husk aint it.

As OP mentioned, this discourages me from wanting to fight CC ever.

36 minutes ago, dzzydzzy said:

Having read this thread I want to say this: If you have not played the beta, I Do Not want to hear your opinions on this particular beta. Period.

Alright i'll play the beta. conceptually planar damage is cool. Any tips on how to see the content in a timely manner or just play the game normally? I'm so use to bug testing since it is my job that I dont considering other stuff besides "yeah that's cool" or "meh kinda boring" stuffs.

"Mega-basers" shouldn't be the standard to judge late-game Survival content that takes Progression into account. Such players are a tiny-tiny minority on account vast majority of computer rigs out there cannot handle even a biome of cramped "terraformation" stuff, transplanted, heavily decorated, with mob spawners, countless entities on-screen and such. More-so, most bulk player-base never attempts such a thing to begin with. I reckon said vocal "mega-baser" minute fraction is the reason we don't have to this day late-game Survival-oriented default content. Time has come for a big change in this department.

4 hours ago, MostMerryTomcat said:

"Mega-basers" shouldn't be the standard to judge late-game Survival content that takes Progression into account. Such players are a tiny-tiny minority on account vast majority of computer rigs out there cannot handle even a biome of cramped "terraformation" stuff, transplanted, heavily decorated, with mob spawners, countless entities on-screen and such. More-so, most bulk player-base never attempts such a thing to begin with. I reckon said vocal "mega-baser" minute fraction is the reason we don't have to this day late-game Survival-oriented default content. Time has come for a big change in this department.

I have multiple issues regarding this statement. In particular:

1. Megabasers are usually the players with the most playtime by a significant amount. I have roughly 4.5-5K hours in DST (~3K on my own steam account, ~1K on our old family one, and the rest being when I used to play the game on PS4). Most of my friends usually have hours ranging from 3K-6K. This usually indicates they have considerable knowledge on the game and how content would impact players, both casual and experienced. I cannot say in good faith that these changes will be positive for most players especially when a majority of people I've seen (both lesser and more experienced) also dislike these changes.
2. I don't want the content to go away entirely, but I do want it changed because it is heavily time consuming to deal with at the moment. I watched a friend of mine tackle the event, and they spent 4 hours killing every plant, exploiting a cheese strat they found out to kill them faster, to kill all the brightshades from one rift. That is an insane time sink to deal with a reoccuring event from one instance of the rift, let alone how difficult it is to do when more than 2-3 brightshades are in close proximity to each other.
3. It also is dangerous to megabasers because of the destructive nature of the rifts to things like marble structures/sinkholes/mushrooms. In every other scenario, a player can avoid/prevent/move away from particular structures to avoid them getting beargers (Ex: appeasing antlion to stop sinkholes, running away from the area when bearger/deerclops start to roar, etc.) The rifts, by comparison, not only can't be stopped in this manner, but are also entirely random. If a rift happens to spawn nearby something like glommer's statue, surprise! You can't do anything about it as it irreversibly damages it!

I don't want the content to be gutted entirely, since that's no fun and there's a lot of potential for it to be cool. I just feel that there should be tweaks to it to make it not as tedious to deal/handle, while also reducing the destructive nature of said rifts. I understand you want the game to be more survival oriented, but I feel the content can still be that way while also not being a complete detriment to people who want to base and make cool decor around minable structures.

No one is saying that megabasers should be the ONLY voice listened to and the game should be designed with only their needs in mind. It’s just that megabasing is a playstyle that should absolutely be taken into account, regardless of how much of a “minority” you claim it is. Besides, most of the playerbase won’t even ever get this far and EVER see this content, so even if megabasers are a minority of all players, they will be a large portion of the players who will actually experience this content.

vocal "mega-baser" minute fraction

If you check the user-defined tags of DST on Steam, there is no base building tag. Even in the expanded list. More people categorize DST as survival horror (which it is not) than a base building simulator. I let you make your own conclusions about it.

6 minutes ago, maxwell_winters said:

If you check the user-defined tags of DST on Steam, there is no base building tag. Even in the expanded list. More people categorize DST as survival horror (which it is not) than a base building simulator. 

If you watch the majority of Twitch/YouTubers playing this game, most of them are building a Megabase- now I personally can’t help but think there’s only ONE reason because of this: and that’s that they’ve done everything there is to do and are now building a base, why??? Because 98% of the game is OPTIONAL that’s why….

Lets count the bosses Klei have added since Return of Them shall we? Now how many of those aren’t some completely optional side quest you can avoid. How about Game Content updates? How much of that added hostile mobs that you don’t have to provoke first into attacking you? 
sure maybe a RockJaw, or a Varglet, but outside of those two- what OTHER content forces itself upon you without you actively going out of your way to engage with it? You could’ve once said pirate raids, but now even those have been downgraded to the point you have to actually be searching for or force summoning them to engage with.

My point? People build these mega bases BECAUSE Survival is entirely Optional.

They don’t have to rebuild a base after a meteor shower, earthquake or fire tornado wrecks it.. they can just go appease the angry ant boss to stop his destructive quakes.

all of these things make DST less of a Survival game and more of a Sanbox Basebuilding simulator- and when that’s the ONLY PLAYSTYLE you see people playing on Twitch streams: you realize there’s something heavily fundamentally flawed with the “survival” aspects of this game.

And yeah maybe I’ve never killed “Insert Boss Here”… so my opinion doesn’t matter, but the thing is: THOSE BOSSES ARE OPTIONAL!!! It’s not playing Ark Survival Evolved and a Wild raptor spawns in your base deciding you and your tames are gonna be it’s lunch.

I mean when people can avoid dangerous meteor showers by knowing which biomes they fall in and can avoid ever basing there- That’s a flaw in game design.

And here’s the thing I DON’T get- in a game where you can toggle many features on/off/more frequent/less frequent.

We shouldn’t have to beg and plead to Klei for content that caters to one playstyle over another.

A shining example in this is that Megabasers have largely admitted to turning OFF Wildfires, and they use to also toggle off Disease- I personally view the new Brightshade plant invasion as being sort of a Disease 2.0…

They toggled it off before, so simply toggle off the new version as well and youll be fine.

You can toggle Wildfires to happen MORE OFTEN if you want to… 

So if I want a more destructive version of DST that actually challenges my survival skills and isn’t some completely optional side quest or boss I can fight to activate a thing or world change- Someone tell me exactly why I can’t have that???

Maybe I want things to happen that’s going to prevent every Twitch stream I watch from becoming a Megabase building extravaganza where instead of tackling completely “Optional” bosses or gameplay, or how they can expertly kill all (completely optional) bosses without taking a single hit, maybe I want something they CANT prevent to happen- like a meteor shower that forces them to repair what gets wrecked, or a bunch of invading plants from void rifts infesting their crops.. 

It’s time that DST got less optional side quests, and more stuff that’s going to prevent me from growing so bored I manage to build a map wide base.

And if I choose to do so- I can still toggle “Base Building Mode” by turning off the more destructive content, or selecting a World Preset that has it toggled off for me.

1 hour ago, goblinball said:

No one is saying that megabasers should be the ONLY voice listened to and the game should be designed with only their needs in mind. It’s just that megabasing is a playstyle that should absolutely be taken into account, regardless of how much of a “minority” you claim it is. Besides, most of the playerbase won’t even ever get this far and EVER see this content, so even if megabasers are a minority of all players, they will be a large portion of the players who will actually experience this content.

This is more or less just a assumption megabasers are more likely to show off their worlds this doesn't make them the majority nor does it mean the game should be catered to them we're more or less at a point where kiel is going to have to decide if this game is a survival game where the world evolves with new threats or a base building sim where everything is under the players control the game can't be both at it's core. That's not to say megabasing has to die settings will always be there but on the other hand late game content will never live up to expectations if they have to tiptoe around megabasers and get rid of unique concepts.

12 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

If you watch the majority of Twitch/YouTubers playing this game, most of them are building a Megabase- now I personally can’t help but think there’s only ONE reason because of this: and that’s that they’ve done everything there is to do and are now building a base, why??? Because 98% of the game is OPTIONAL that’s why….

Lets count the bosses Klei have added since Return of Them shall we? Now how many of those aren’t some completely optional side quest you can avoid. How about Game Content updates? How much of that added hostile mobs that you don’t have to provoke first into attacking you? 
sure maybe a RockJaw, or a Varglet, but outside of those two- what OTHER content forces itself upon you without you actively going out of your way to engage with it? You could’ve once said pirate raids, but now even those have been downgraded to the point you have to actually be searching for or force summoning them to engage with.

My point? People build these mega bases BECAUSE Survival is entirely Optional.

They don’t have to rebuild a base after a meteor shower, earthquake or fire tornado wrecks it.. they can just go appease the angry ant boss to stop his destructive quakes.

all of these things make DST less of a Survival game and more of a Sanbox Basebuilding simulator- and when that’s the ONLY PLAYSTYLE you see people playing on Twitch streams: you realize there’s something heavily fundamentally flawed with the “survival” aspects of this game.

And yeah maybe I’ve never killed “Insert Boss Here”… so my opinion doesn’t matter, but the thing is: THOSE BOSSES ARE OPTIONAL!!! It’s not playing Ark Survival Evolved and a Wild raptor spawns in your base deciding you and your tames are gonna be it’s lunch.

I mean when people can avoid dangerous meteor showers by knowing which biomes they fall in and can avoid ever basing there- That’s a flaw in game design.

And here’s the thing I DON’T get- in a game where you can toggle many features on/off/more frequent/less frequent.

We shouldn’t have to beg and plead to Klei for content that caters to one playstyle over another.

A shining example in this is that Megabasers have largely admitted to turning OFF Wildfires, and they use to also toggle off Disease- I personally view the new Brightshade plant invasion as being sort of a Disease 2.0…

They toggled it off before, so simply toggle off the new version as well and youll be fine.

You can toggle Wildfires to happen MORE OFTEN if you want to… 

So if I want a more destructive version of DST that actually challenges my survival skills and isn’t some completely optional side quest or boss I can fight to activate a thing or world change- Someone tell me exactly why I can’t have that???

Maybe I want things to happen that’s going to prevent every Twitch stream I watch from becoming a Megabase building extravaganza where instead of tackling completely “Optional” bosses or gameplay, or how they can expertly kill all (completely optional) bosses without taking a single hit, maybe I want something they CANT prevent to happen- like a meteor shower that forces them to repair what gets wrecked, or a bunch of invading plants from void rifts infesting their crops.. 

It’s time that DST got less optional side quests, and more stuff that’s going to prevent me from growing so bored I manage to build a map wide base.

And if I choose to do so- I can still toggle “Base Building Mode” by turning off the more destructive content, or selecting a World Preset that has it toggled off for me.

I honestly couldn't have said it better myself here. Most of the danger in dst is a illusion this is the first new tangible threat and man I hope we continue down this road even if it needs some tweaks.

I'll throw my hat in here and say this:

IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE ONE WAY OR THE OTHER PEOPLE.

I am sorry to say this to the survival fans (Of which I am one, I am most certainly not a megabaser) but there is almost no good way to justify destroying or significantly damaging the playstyle of what is most likely the most dedicated part of the fanbase. The rifts can significantly impact a base or decorations negatively. For the players who DO play this game for far more than us survival fans, this is a serious problem, and SHOULD be addressed. Survival elements and basebuilding are not mutually exclusive. If you've ever played shipwrecked you'd know all about the monsoon season which completely DISABLED the base IF HANDLED IMPROPERLY while still NOT DAMAGING IT AT ALL. Or hamlet where you were required to cook certain foods or wear quickly deteriorating gear to prevent massive annoyance caused by sneezing. or a literal death timer that caused the world to go to ****. There's better options people.

by allowing these rifts to spawn inside of a players base.

A: you cannot, AT ALL, prevent or mitigate the damage being done. its completely out of your control and just happens

B: it still does not provide really ANYTHING in the way of actual survival mechanics, I know some of you may disagree, but personally once I hit post CC I've got MULTIPLE food sources, and only one of them are actually plant based. This BARELY functions as holding my resources hostage, they're too tough to brush aside, but not nearly dangerous enough to be a threat LITERALLY POST CC.

it's like if deerclops attacked once every ten days, i'm way too strong for that to be a threat, but if I dont deal with it, he's gonna smash some ****. but he's NOT gonna kill me.

C: It's going to steadily spread throughout the world, and just be a massive hassle for no serious challenge. It turns into "Hey go dig up all the resources outside of your base or these 1000 health plants will infect the world slowly" Thats not a fun gameplay or survival mechanic. Thats just annoying.

HOWEVER.

The game CAN get harder as time goes on. The threats CAN be more varied, And the world SHOULD BECOME MORE HOSTILE. But that can be done without destroying players bases, when they've literally spent more hours on their base than I probably have in solo and together combined. It's not that hard to understand.

4 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

This is more or less just a assumption megabasers are more likely to show off their worlds this doesn't make them the majority nor does it mean the game should be catered to them we're more or less at a point where kiel is going to have to decide if this game is a survival game where the world evolves with new threats or a base building sim where everything is under the players control the game can't be both at it's core. That's not to say megabasing has to die settings will always be there but on the other hand late game content will never live up to expectations if they have to tiptoe around megabasers and get rid of unique concepts.

Yes. The game can in fact be both. every dont starve DLC did it beautifully, they can do it in together too.

Frankly klei IS afraid of making big changes, and I hate that. But the megabasers ARE a major part of the game community, and SHOULD be noted. Its not catering to avoid smashing thousands of hours of progress made by the most dedicated part of your fanbase. Imagine if in terraria the final boss that you got the endgame loot from destroyed every block he passed through? People would never fight him on their basebuilding world, they would just go into a different world for it, thats not an option here.

We have to straddle the line, because whether the "tags" call DST a basebuilding game or not. It very much is a basebuilding game, and honestly 99% of progress in this game isn't gathering weapons and armor and healing, its making the buildings like crockpots, and building a pig farm for helmets, and making a hound trap to deal with hounds. The boss fights are something to work towards, but if you're not rushing bosses, all you're doing is building a base and staying alive.

And I've never played a single survival game that had enough survival mechanics to keep "just stay alive" a fun and engaging and difficult process after 100 hours. you want the game to be harder, but nothing CAN challenge you after 1000 hours. But I DO want them to try. Give us some new seasonal effects, flooding during spring, an actually interesting summer, new dangers in autumn 2. and make them activate during the second year. But don't just randomly destroy the hardcore players bases because you're salty that you're no longer dying before the first winter. the game cant stay challenging forever, and ruining another players fun isn't going to fix it.

Soooooooo, while I was writing this, @Copyafriend essentially just said what I explained in the first half of this post. I already typed it so I am just going to keep it. But if you want to skip it (please don't), I will just turn the first sentence of the second half bold.

Note: I have not played the beta, so keep that in mind.

Reading this topic, I have observed two main sides:

1: People who want late-game survival challenges that make them play completely differently.

2: People who want freedom and a sandbox to do and build whatever they want.

Both of these are completely valid ways of playing the game and are even popular Steam tags for Don't Starve Together.

1150671556_DSTTags.png.7e80252d00d7c5295c40906b3f8d71de.png

But this where the problem lies with this topic, there are two different groups of people who are looking for different experiences that frequently conflict with each other. What ends up happening is everyone tries just argues on why their opinion is correct and how the other side is wrong. When in reality, we need to work on a solution that will satisfy both groups.

Ok, so this is where the suggestion part of this post starts.

From what I heard, the rifts have NO counters. No way to move it, no way to stop the spread, nothing. That is like if you couldn't take slurpers off your head and you just had to deal with it. That is not fair in the slightest, the game is just screwing you over and you cannot do anything about it. But on the other hand, if there was no spread, or if stopping it was very easy, then that would be pretty boring. So, how about if you put 4 pure horror into the rift within the first few days, it will close and reopen somewhere else? And if you just want to stop the spread, you can make a new turf out of dreadstone and pure horror, then surround the infected area with the turf. This fit thematically, encourages you to fight the Nightmare Werepig (who's drops at least for me are still underwhelming), gives more importance to him and the materials, and actually has a cost (most likely green gems for duplication). The group who wants more survival elements have the fact that you have to fight a difficult boss and sacrifice precious resources to protect your world, the sandbox group can continue to have their fancy bases, and both will have new items to play with. I do not know if it will work but we should keep coming up with solutions together.

Archived