The current situation:

• Dupe does the wrangle job
  • This creates a wrangled critter
  • And therefore a drop-off job is created for the wrangled critter
  • The rancher who's right there at the right location will continue on it's to-do list, skipping doing an extremely efficient job because it's right there.
  • This job is made available to all dupes, most likely very far away.
  • However, this job cannot be prioritized.
    I know it can be affected by the priorities of drop-off points, but the purpose of that is to select a drop-off point. Not to speed up how fast the drop-off task is completed. And this speed is important because there's a wrangled critter that might escape. A more expansive priority system exists for critter eggs and many other objects, where it actually matters less.

This way of doing things has disadvantages:

• Wrangled critters end up getting ignored and escaping
  • Wrangled critters end up drowning
  • Increases travel time, because wrangled critters are often far out. So leaving the drop-off to another dupe introduces a large travel time for that dupe to first reach the critter. Time that's an almost complete waste because the rancher WAS THERE
  • Almost all wrangles are of wild critters, far away and alone.
  • Using the drop-off point priority to speed up getting the critter can lead to critters getting wrangled that you don't want wrangled at all.

I can't find any real advantages for doing things this way, if anyone can please enlighten me:

• Mass transport of an entire stable. One dupe can wrangle all the critters and other dupes (no need for husbandry) can drop-off the critters. This would not be the case if a single dupe could carry many critters and drop them all off at once, but for the sake of argument we'll assume that a dupe can only carry a single critter.
  • Easier to program because critters caught in a trap can be treated the same way as critters wrangled.
  • Easier to program because the drop-off has to be right after the pick up.

Suggestions for improvement:

1. Add the knowledge that a drop-off will be necessary to the wrangling task and make it part of the wrangling task.
  2. Make the drop-off into a proper task that can be prioritized individually
  3. Change the drop-off into two separate tasks that can be queued the same way supply tasks can be queued. So a single dupe can gather the materials for multiple supply jobs and execute them on location quickly after each other.

Note that even a big mod like Ranching Overhaul doesn't include this. Which suggests to me it's not possible to make these changes with mods.

Thanks for your consideration.

I find this really annoying too.  The only way to get the wrangler to do what actually should be done is to wait for the wrangler to wrangle the critter and then the player has to wrangle the wrangler to get him to carry the critter and often another dupe claims the errand even if the player goes to that trouble.

Watching the wrangle animation it appears the critter takes a second to "drop" and it causes a delay.  This delay would cause the wrangler to claim a different errand before the drop-off errand is generated.  If it does work like this then the wrangler can never get the drop-off errand unless they are the only dupe who has access to the wrangled critter or major labor shortages.  If that is the issue than critter wrangling can never actually work like @Roodvlees, myself and I'm sure many other ranchers would like it to work and how many players might assume it works until they actually see the issue in action.

If my theory is correct, a possible solution might be simply to also add a delay (hopefully identical to the time the critter takes to "drop") to the dupe doing the wrangle, such as the wiping brow animation, so that when the wrangler is ready for their next errand when the critter drop-off errand is available.

Looks like @tuxii is right. The whole problem is the lag between the end of the wrangle and the creature became available for transfer.
Adding a delay to the rancher, for example, any emotion is technically not difficult. This is the first thing I tried.
However, the problem is deeper. The lag value is not constant and not predictable, and is apparently related to the global lag of creatures AI. Simply adding a delay to a rancher may not be enough.
There is another way - to forcibly make the creature available for transfer, bypassing the creatures AI. Only the Ancient God of the Machine knows whether such a detour will lead to unpredictable consequences. But at first glance, everything looks good.
In the beta version of the new mod, I applied both approaches. Before I upload it to the workshop, need to test it. @tuxii, @Roodvlees or anyone else, can you test it? and post here whether it really works. And help me come up with a more appropriate mod name.

I uploaded the mod to the workshop.
Additionally, I adds an animation of the Bag to the Duplicant carrying the Creature so that you can clearly see such a duplicant.

9 hours ago, Sanchozz said:

Looks like @tuxii is right. The whole problem is the lag between the end of the wrangle and the creature became available for transfer.
Adding a delay to the rancher, for example, any emotion is technically not difficult. This is the first thing I tried.
However, the problem is deeper. The lag value is not constant and not predictable, and is apparently related to the global lag of creatures AI. Simply adding a delay to a rancher may not be enough.
There is another way - to forcibly make the creature available for transfer, bypassing the creatures AI. Only the Ancient God of the Machine knows whether such a detour will lead to unpredictable consequences. But at first glance, everything looks good.
In the beta version of the new mod, I applied both approaches. Before I upload it to the workshop, need to test it. @tuxii, @Roodvlees or anyone else, can you test it? and post here whether it really works. And help me come up with a more appropriate mod name.

I just learned how to manually install mods to test this out.

I tried your mod on the live version of the game. U45-546664 on Windows 10

After some hiccups in my testing method, I got it to work consistently.  I even tried it at x3 speed and then x10 speed and it still worked!  I never saw the dupe do any sort of emote after completing the wrangle, but it still works as intended.

Nice work!

Edit: Noticed you're looking for a title.  "Wrangle & Carry" might be the most functional.  Perhaps "Truss & Rush" could work.

22 hours ago, Sanchozz said:

Thanks, but it doesn't work for me. I created the local folder and ONI did recognize the mod. I enabled it, had to reboot ONI and it noted that the mod was not disabled after loading. I also started a new game to make sure the problem isn't applying the mod to a saved game. This has not helped.

As for the name, "Wrangle & Carry" sounds great to me.

Edit: thanks for the tips on how to install the mod, I haven't gotten it working. But that could easily be my bad. If it works for you guys that's good enough. I'll be sure to try it if it's released as a mod on Steam Workshop.

17 minutes ago, Roodvlees said:

I hacked the mods.json file, don't know what the proper way to manually install mods is.

You don't need to hack anything, the game will handle that file.

All you need to do is unzip it and put it in Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded\mods\Local\<yourModName>\(*.dll file here)

4 hours ago, Roodvlees said:

Thanks, but it doesn't work for me. I created the local folder and ONI did recognize the mod. I enabled it, had to reboot ONI and it noted that the mod was not disabled after loading.

As for the name, "Wrangle & Carry" sounds great to me.

You weren't trying to wrangle critters into full ranches were you? (That was my hiccup)

I followed the instructions from the Fast Track Mod to install this mod.

Perhaps they be crated for transport if wood is available, instead of just being tied up. And if they're in a crate, they stay there indefinitely until they starve but won't escape - as an alternative if it's not possible to add carry to drop off automatically into the wrangling process for... reasons.

Archived