Critter Relocation Should Be Higher Priority

The other day I dug up a hatch under water, and told my rancher to wrangle it, and the rancher did. But, then the rancher left it there to drawn and die. I was not pleased.

Today, I told my first rancher to round up three hatches, and she ran around tying each of them up, before going back and picking the up to relocate them.

There's no way for me to do this, especially, since it now seems I can't set priority numbers on tied up critters (short of maybe a mod..?), but I believe that relocating a critter should be higher priority than tying a critter up. This would be more efficient, as they would tie a critter up, then immediately pick that critter up and take it back, which seems logical, and just makes so much sense on so many levels.

I believe if there's critter that's tied up, and no one else is going to pick it up, than the rancher should have relocating it as their highest priority.

To increase critter delivering priority, make ranching priority of everyone to highest, and set critter drop point priority to 9, and alert if current critter you want is drowning.
If duplicant didnt have rancher job, they wont do ranching stuff because they cant, so the priority there only affect priority for your dup to deliver critters. Only rancher can do taming/grooming/capture, it fine for everyone except some important dupe to have high priority on ranching.
image.png.aa02e18f40a66038f526c9cf5d9a4b01.png

The priority is set according to the delivery point. If you set the priority on the critter drop-off, that sets the priority of picking up the wrangled critter and taking it there.

The basic problem however is that just after the rancher wrangles, the critter hauling job doesn't exist yet. So while the critter is falling to the ground, they go do something else. It then drowns while they do that other thing.

If you force them to stop just after wrangling (for example with a forced move order), they will realise that there is a critter to be hauled and haul it. Assuming of course the drop-off priority is higher than whatever else they might think they should be doing.

I have no idea why hauling the critter back isn't simply part of the original wrangling job. It's a tedious mess.

2 hours ago, Yobbo said:

I have no idea why hauling the critter back isn't simply part of the original wrangling job. It's a tedious mess.

It seems like it`s optimized for relocating large amount of critters. It would go faster if the rancher ties all critters first and then more than one dupe can do the relocate job rather thanthe rancher relocating each one after wrangling similar to how it is more efficient for a miner to keep mining while other dupes build ladders and move the mined resources.

6 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

It seems like it`s optimized for relocating large amount of critters. It would go faster if the rancher ties all critters first and then more than one dupe can do the relocate job rather thanthe rancher relocating each one after wrangling similar to how it is more efficient for a miner to keep mining while other dupes build ladders and move the mined resources.

I guess, if someone doing delivery picks the critter up... but, I'd argue (optimization or not) that moving the critter should be the rancher's job.

However, with all of these kind people explaining to me how I can manage what I was trying to, I'll try their recommendations and go from there, and maybe I'll think it's fine as is.

Certainly, it seems I just misunderstood how things worked.

A little extra thing you can do, while being a lot of micromanagement:
A rancher that wrangles a critter will try to look for a new job once they're done, however the moving of that critter is at that point not entered into their list of 'todo', so often they will go do something else. In order to stop this, you can select them and do a 'move to' command to the critter they wrangled, this will stop them from doing what they were going to do and move to the critter. Then they will go through their list of 'todo' which DOES have the move critter in it, and if it's priority is high enough, they will go and move said critter. It's an annoying little thing, which has been in the game for a long time.

4 hours ago, suicide commando said:

however the moving of that critter is at that point not entered into their list of 'todo

Yes, the critter needs a few seconds to enter the "wrangled" state. Especially later in the game when there is too many calculations to do.

Archived