Suggestion on the wilson tech tree

Based on the 3 tech branches:

- Alchemy branch is great and really strong, offers valuable options and it is the one that fits the most with Wilson's scientist lore. Nothing needs to change there.

- The torch branch is too specific, it should be made general into an "Illumination" branch that works for lanterns and minerhats too. That would work with the scientist theme of making things more efficient, and generally being very "bright" :D

- The beard branch is a bit weird, I would like if the "Beard food storage" was just normal storage, and if the growth branch was something else entirely. Some ideas include: Your beard affects hunger drain (fasting), your beard affects material crafting costs (efficiency), or your beard affects sanity drain (wisdom). These all could tie into the theme of Wilson being old and wise man, signified by his beard.

- The "Mastery" branch that requires fuelweaver kill is a cool incentive too, can't wait to see what the final ability is. I would like if final ability was multiple choice instead of just one, to further differentiate the Wilsons

Overall the concept of persistence can be up for abuse, as people could just cheat the full unlock and join servers. I would prefer if unlock speed was sped up by a lot, but it was per-world as usual, in true don't starve roguelike fashion.

I also like that there is a limited number of unlocks, and you can't get the whole tree, so that each Wilson is unique.

Interesting to see where this takes us. Quite an interesting way to make a Wilson rework.

Incase you didnt know you can rearrenge all your points on the wardrobe or the character selection screen, i agree with almost everything that you said specially related to all torch perks.  Alchemy is pretty much perfect, only thing i would add are a few more materials like nitre, honeycomb, salt etc and tweak a bit the numbers because the shadow transmuting its not very worth it now

30 minutes ago, loopuleasa said:

Interesting.

I thought it was locked or at least a cost associated to it.

nope, and i am glad it doesnt cost anything other than your time, i believe that having to do it in a specific place is enough for balance.

I think the utility of converting nitre into gold nuggets is too low. The shortage of gold nuggets is a short term that happened before building Alchemy Engine. And nitre is much hard than golds for renew. It is important to be reversible, likes converting 2 or 3 nitres into a gold nugget.

6 hours ago, loopuleasa said:

- The torch branch is too specific, it should be made general into an "Illumination" branch that works for lanterns and minerhats too. That would work with the scientist theme of making things more efficient, and generally being very "bright"

I totally agree. Its out of character for Wilson to have better stats with torch, its more of a Willow thing.

Lantern and miner hat in the other hand, now thats what fits Wilson 

8 hours ago, Dragonboooorn said:

totally agree. Its out of character for Wilson to have better stats with torch, its more of a Willow thing.

Lorewise I definitely agree that having an affinity for torches fits Willow better and that the more civilized lighting would make more sense for Wilson, although it could be argued that becoming a seasoned survivor has made him more efficient at using more primitive equipment.

I was originally confused as to why they chose torches specifically alongside the more obvious beard and alchemy but I realized it's probably because the image of Wilson holding a torch is extremely iconic.

Spoiler

Don't_Starve_cover.jpg

22 hours ago, Dragonboooorn said:

I totally agree. Its out of character for Wilson to have better stats with torch, its more of a Willow thing.

same with cutting meat for warly. True that it helps noobs but getting morsel out of large meat fits a butcher rather than a scientific

if was rocks or [insert random material] to meat would make more sense his transmutation perk xD

10 minutes ago, loopuleasa said:

meat transmutation is the least transmutativ-y part of it, but it fits nonetheless with the fullmetal alchemy theme

would be cool if he was able to craft philosopher's stone as portable crafting station for his transmutations and some crafting discounts instead of the skill tree

edit. and unlocking all the recipes at the cost of your arm and feet :P

On 2/28/2023 at 9:39 AM, Malfario said:

Incase you didnt know you can rearrenge all your points on the wardrobe or the character selection screen-

With the latest beta hotfix this sentence is no longer valid. So I feel the torch skillpath is a lot worse then the beard and alchemy path now, since that path always felt like a 'swap' tree to use for when you don't have lanterns yet. I'm unsure what's the point of the short range torch toss skill is meant to be used for either.

In my other opinions, Alchemy skilltree may need a few tweaks as some transmutes are good and some are bad, beard skilltree is pretty good and feels like your points are respected, and the lone affinity skill is pretty awful since you can't directly craft pure horror or dreadstone directly, only transmute with poor rates and downgrade to nightmare fuel, which isn't worth.

13 hours ago, Fill-Lips said:

I feel the torch skillpath is a lot worse then the beard and alchemy path now, since that path always felt like a 'swap' tree to use for when you don't have lanterns yet. I'm unsure what's the point of the short range torch toss skill is meant to be used for either.

I haven't seen how significant the brightness increase is, but torches only lasting 25% longer after 3 upgrades does feel rather negligible, especially considering 3 upgrades makes the beard 70% warmer. That said though I still see myself using the torch skills on caveless worlds, and even on worlds with caves since I'm often too lazy to take a quick trip to the caves every time I run out of lightbulbs.

I believe the torch tossing is so you can place it down to perform actions in darkness like with the lantern, though I can't think of a use for being able to do this from a distance; maybe if someone's about to get attacked by Charlie and you're far away you can throw a torch at them, though if the range on the toss is really short then you could probably achieve the same result by just running up to them, but that wouldn't look as stylish.

On 2/28/2023 at 2:50 PM, RedDevilRat said:

I think the utility of converting nitre into gold nuggets is too low. The shortage of gold nuggets is a short term that happened before building Alchemy Engine. And nitre is much hard than golds for renew. It is important to be reversible, likes converting 2 or 3 nitres into a gold nugget.

I second this. Nitre is much more difficult to stack especially after domesticating a beefalo.

19 hours ago, Fill-Lips said:

I'm unsure what's the point of the short range torch toss skill is meant to be used for either.

Woodie: "I can turn into Hulk or Jesus now"

Wortox: "I can teleport anywhere on the map for free"

Wickerbottom: "I can create food out of thin air, summon rain and full moon at any time"

Maxwell: "I can decimate entire forests and kill bosses without lifting a finger"

Wilson: "I spent a lot of time perfecting my survival skills and unlocked an amazing new power! Behold, A TORCH THROW! By the way, anyone wants a meatball? I keep it warm in my beard!"

I think that the torch branch, specifically the torch range 3 skill should affect at least campfires too, so if a wilson wants to be nice, he tosses a piece of rot, a twig, or some grass into the pit to make it slightly brighter for the team, as long as they keep the flame alive of course

3 hours ago, yourAnty said:

I think that the torch branch, specifically the torch range 3 skill should affect at least campfires too, so if a wilson wants to be nice, he tosses a piece of rot, a twig, or some grass into the pit to make it slightly brighter for the team, as long as they keep the flame alive of course

this could be nice for Willows and Wilsons that are near a fire, since one makes better use of fuel, the other could brighten it up. 

Not the most insane synergy but it could be a nice one.

On 3/3/2023 at 4:12 PM, yourAnty said:

I think that the torch branch, specifically the torch range 3 skill should affect at least campfires too

Nah. Campfires are a primitive and wild thing, not something deemed of a scientist.

Lanterns and miner hats however, please sign me up.

18 hours ago, loopuleasa said:

Nah. Campfires are a primitive and wild thing, not something deemed of a scientist.

Lanterns and miner hats however, please sign me up.

I don't know what was going through my head, excuse me please I haven't played the game consistently for a few months, just getting back into it, I meant fire pits, but yeah uhhhh ummm yeah the skills need to be more impactful, them affecting miner hats and lanterns would be amazing and should be implemented, I hate how basic the skills outside of alchemy feel right now.

Archived