Can you ranch tallbird inside caves?

I think the answer is NO!!! oof this actually bugs me out a lot, i dont know if this is intended or not thats why i made this post. I hope im wrong but here's my story:

I really love how klei changed the usage of tallbirds to the point of making me consider them as a good resourse instead of a pest, so i started a world with warly some days ago and i made my little ranch for tallbird eggs like i usually do but this was a long play so i tried to make a ranch inside caves as well, inside caves was not as simple as relocating some wild tallbirds, i had to raise the birds myself, trust me when i said it was an awful experience. 4 birds! i made all the pens and let the teenbirds inside the pens with enough food. And after all the long process what i get is that tallbird dont put a friking nest inside caves! oof, they stay all day sleeping, i even tried to relocate one of those to an area with sunlight but it was useless, they sleep all friking day, no nest and no friking egg! 

Can please someone tell me if this is intended or not? i mean i waste a lot of my time making this, i dont usually play in long world cause this bullshits happens to me all the time, nothing at the wiki oof.

16 hours ago, NekoSoulx said:

I think the answer is NO!!! oof this actually bugs me out a lot, i dont know if this is intended or not thats why i made this post. I hope im wrong but here's my story:

I really love how klei changed the usage of tallbirds to the point of making me consider them as a good resourse instead of a pest, so i started a world with warly some days ago and i made my little ranch for tallbird eggs like i usually do but this was a long play so i tried to make a ranch inside caves as well, inside caves was not as simple as relocating some wild tallbirds, i had to raise the birds myself, trust me when i said it was an awful experience. 4 birds! i made all the pens and let the teenbirds inside the pens with enough food. And after all the long process what i get is that tallbird dont put a friking nest inside caves! oof, they stay all day sleeping, i even tried to relocate one of those to an area with sunlight but it was useless, they sleep all friking day, no nest and no friking egg! 

Can please someone tell me if this is intended or not? i mean i waste a lot of my time making this, i dont usually play in long world cause this bullshits happens to me all the time, nothing at the wiki oof.

Make sure they're on the correct turf. I was able to get one to create a nest by waking it up with a burning object underneath it, where it woke up, panicked, created a nest and then went to sleep eternally.

Also, ditto on the awful experience of raising birds. I don't even mind caring for them for the obscene amount of 28 days, but the fact you can't go to caves with them following, or have go with you on a boat makes gameplay so boring. Raising a smallbird to adulthood is like playing alpha Don't Starve with only ANR content.

I think it's an oversight that tallbirds sleep forever unless aggroed in the caves, however, you can still multiply nests there. Make sure bird stays on barren/rocky turf with enough free space, let it deaggro and relog. Seems like tallbirds check if they should make nest on server launch in addition to normal method.

What if you log out and then log back in on a public server after deaggro, would that create a Nest on an available tile? Is a server restart after deaggro required?

I've also wanted to make Tallbird Nests in caves, but I also didn't know if it was possible on a purely public server, and also it takes roughly 4 hours of straight non-logging-out play to care for the Smallbird and Teenbird to ensure they don't die inside caves, which is a major tall task with Depth Worms and Cave-Ins. You'd want to use a pen of stone walls, and maybe raise them in Archives, but it does seem like it's a gargantuan omega time-consuming task. And don't know if it works on a public server.

On 1/16/2023 at 2:10 AM, Aeglefire said:

What if you log out and then log back in on a public server after deaggro, would that create a Nest on an available tile?

From my experience of raising tallbirds on dedicated server - no, server needs restart for that. In case hosted game relog of admin (host) = restart, which is not the case for dedicated server. So technically multiplying nests in the caves is semi-impossible, unfortunally. I'm not sure if rollback would work: my guess is no, but I didn't test that.

Among other tallbird bugs that can easily ruin hours of work is them entering permanent sleep state while they are player's followers. And yes, they continue to starve. I experienced that and my guess about what actually happened is that I unloaded birds in sleep state, i.e. went too far while they were sleeping, so they skipped waking up part (maybe it has something to do with day start, I didn't test that yet).

Edit: for some reason I didn't see Hornete's post. Good to know that burning works, although it seems tricky to create densely packed farm (~10 nests in 3×3 turf area) since already existing nests would be in danger of being burnt too, and ice flingomatic would just freeze birds preventing them from nests creation. Sorry for confusion, I guess.

Thanks to all your replies!, they actually helped me a lot and after some tries i finally discover a method to get blue eggs at caves and so i want to share with you all the only way(at least the only one i know for now) to farm tallbirds at caves.

Special thanks to @Hornete cause i used the method of burning something near tallbirds to wake them up so they can make a nest and it worked fine. After that i had to remake my pens since i usually use tiny pens of 4x4  fences but that doesnt work inside cave. in the surface small pens works fine(it takes the tallbirds sometime to make a nest though)

I had to make a bigger and less elegant pen for my 4 tallbirds and i had to use stone walls this time but it did work but after that the problem was that they still go to sleep foreva. So i was not sure if they were going to put eggs in that condition, but i remember something really important, when tallbirds are homeless, they are usually not as agressive but when they make a nest they become really agressive to all the mobs near the nest so at the end i did my usual strat to use rabbits as bait for tallbirds(i make this to avoid being aggroed by tallbirds when im trying to pick up the eggs) and it actually WORKED!    Some days later i got my first eggs.

So there you go, thank god i was wrong, you can actually have a farm of blue eggs at caves. 

20230116183315_1.thumb.jpg.eda1e02ab3478df5321af9a3efd685be.jpg

Archived