Confused by the whole Supply Drops and Skins buisness

"More skins will be available through timed drops." What does "timed drops" mean? Will this be a limited time claimable reward?  How we are going to purchase the "timed drops"? Will they be redeemed against Klei reward points?

I am not making a comment on the pros and cons of the supply drops system, even though I support it based on what I know so far. I just want to know how the system is going to function exactly. Don't Starve has similar system, so maybe players of that game can provide some information. 

On 12/19/2022 at 8:46 PM, nome said:

You don't purchase timed drops, they're free. And yes, it's roughly the same system DST uses.

Will it have the unravel / weave funtion aswell?

Like for example unravel all my oni blueprints to get <insert oni currency name here> which i can use to get specific skin blueprints.

Just like in DST with spools?

1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

So what system does DST use? Can anybody briefly summarize it or give a reference?

You get 1 skin daily just for booting up the game.

You get additional skin drops randomly while playing.

(15 max drops per week)

You can "unravel" your skins into spools and "craft" other skins with said spools instead waiting for RNG to bless you with the skin you wish to get.

1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

So what system does DST use? Can anybody briefly summarize it or give a reference?

Expanding on what @ALCRD said:

There's a pool of skins that the devs have added to the game.  Every skin drop you get selects a random skin from this pool.  In DST there are a couple different categories of rarity that affect how likely you are to get that drop.  Common skins are most frequent; classy and spiffy are less likely, but still drop with reasonable frequency, and elegant and distinguished are very rare. 

Because the skin drops are selected randomly, you can get duplicates.  The spools system was introduced to allow you to 'unravel' your duplicate skins into 'spools' that could be used to 'weave' a skin of your choice.  It's not clear yet if this part of the system will be in ONI as well.  DST has a very large collection of skins right now and ONI will be starting with far fewer, so the odds of getting the skins you want are much better.

If you don't want to wait for a random chance to get the skins you want, Klei also lets you purchase skins in packs.  These are grouped by a theme (you can see some of them on steam in the DLC section for DST to get an idea of price and what they contain).  If you end up with duplicates because you got some of the skins in the pack as drops, you can just unravel them to get spools.  Not sure how this will work for ONI, but I expect they will be selling the skins to fund development of the DLC.  It is important to note that whenever they add a skin pack for sale, all the skins in it are ALSO added to the pool for random drops, so you don't need to purchase anything to get the skins. However, you might be waiting a long time to get it through the drop system.

Archived