[Game Update] - 259

JanH

Don't Starve Together Patch 2.59 - 11/22/2022 (PlayStation)

"Encore"

The former Nightmare King suddenly finds himself facing his past... and a choice about his future. Everyone take your seats, the Amazing Maxwell's next act is about to begin.

Changes

• Codex Umbra is now a spell book that feeds off of Sanity and Nightmare Fuel only.
  • Added a spell wheel UI for reading the Codex Umbra in your inventory.
  • Maxwell now summons the following shadow puppets:
    • Shadow Servant
    • Shadow Duelist
  • Maxwell now controls up to six puppets at a time.
  • These improved puppets automatically aggro or work within their summoned area for a set duration before expiring.
  • Equipping shadowy equipment will increase the power of Shadow Duelists.
    • This includes, but is not limited to, most things crafted from Shadow Magic or Ancient Pseudoscience.
  • Maxwell now summons the following crowd control shadows:
    • Shadow Sneak
    • Shadow Prison
  • All shadows can be summoned on the ocean.
  • Maxwell can craft the Magician's Top Hat and Magician’s Chest.
  • Magician's Top Hat, Magician's Chest, and Shadow Chester are all connected to one shadow dimensional storage in the Forest, and another one while in the Caves.

Fixes:

• Fixed a crash when loading very developed/old worlds.
  • Construction Sites will no longer drop excess items on the ground when building and will now try to return the extra to the player's inventory.
  • Fixed a crash related to missing character strings for inspections.
  • Fixed turning invisible while riding a beefalo and chatting on a stage.
  • Fixed items such as Monster Meat from self stacking while being used as a bait.
  • Fixed Wendy's Ethereal Gown and Abigail's Overalls from showing the skirt with certain clothing setups.
  • Fixed Wendy's Moonbound hair being too wild and poking out of worn hats.
  • Fixed upper arm animations flipping shoulders when running upwards.
  • Fixed Voxola Safety Gloves having an invisible bonesaw.
  • Fixed Shredded Skirt's body going invisible when worn on Webber.
  • Fixed an issue with Wortox's No-Eyed Deertox Costume for side views when wearing a hat.
  • Fixed Wickerbottom's custom idle animations when using the Lofty Wrist Ruffs.

New Skins!

maxstuff.png

Maxwell Deluxe Wardrobe ($10.99usd)
This Deluxe Wardrobe contains Maxwell's complete set of Guest of Honor, Roseate, Survivor, Untriumphant, and Dark Wizard skin items.

Maxwell Dark Wizard Chest ($3.99usd)
This Dark Wizard's Chest contains the following skin items: Cursed Cloak, Cursed Sabre, and Showman's Shadow Hat.

New Twitch Drops!

twitchitemglowcap.png

We're offering a new set of streaming drops over on Twitch.tv. Check out this post for details.

Rhymes with Play

dst_stream_nov24_22.png

Make sure to join us for another Rhymes with Play Dev stream this Thursday. We'll be checking out the Maxwell refresh with our hosts Vito and Hailey. 

And that's it for now!

As we approach the end of the year we still have a bit more to go to finish out the 2022(3) roadmap. We have been talking internally about what's coming up in the next roadmap and while we still have some details to iron out, we're already very excited about 2023! We have been watching the feedback from players regarding the long-term hopes for the game. While it's going to be difficult to wait for more info, it's going to be even harder for us to keep it under wraps, but we'll be posting up a new roadmap at the beginning of next year!

Check out the original forum post for more details!

View full update

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

@JanH

While I'm excited for new content (and still frankly blown away that Klei continues to offer so much after all these years) I do worry about the impact more content will have on split screen players. 

I must say you guys have worked wonders so far, split screen wise things are much smoother than they have been in the past. We currently have a 650+ day world, and while we've done our part to keep the world clean and structures spaced, the second screen player generally doesn't experience any rubber banding anymore which is a huge deal for me and my wife. We really appreciate the work Klei, and the PS4 team specifically, continues to put in.

That being said the load times in and out of the caves are quite large and there is a solid couple seconds freeze to the gameplay when the transitioning player actually arrives in the caves or the over world. It is frankly a bit dangerous. The world's actions are registered and executed while both players remain temporarily frozen. Time passage gets funky and really both players need to be aware and prepared when either one enters/leaves the caves.

Our current operating procedure is no fighting and nothing delicate/important going on while one person is in transition. My wife plays Wigfrid and can generally get away with tanking the hits from Batalisks upon exiting the caves in the evening/night, but I won't leave the caves until morning at this point. I play WX and was insta-killed, after which I don't risk leaving the caves until day.

With load times what they are, it creates a sort of dead zone where I have to leave the caves soon enough to load before evening, and not leave the caves too soon before morning. A miscalculation can result in death. 

I understand how much the scope of the game has grown since it was first released, and I understand the limitations of the PS4s hardware, especially in regards to split screen. As things stand currently we have our work around to the issues, but I'm concerned with how much farther the PS4 can be pushed.

I would imagine Klei would want to maintain parity between PC/PS4, and I was hoping to get some insight into the difficulty of keeping PS4 DST in line with PC, and possibly potential sacrifices that may one day need to be made in order to do so.

A quick side note, we've noticed that rolling back a world to a day when we were on a boat out at sea instead places us at the Florid Postern and removes the boat from the world. Not sure if this is a bug, if so I'll report it to the proper location.

Also, in the past it seemed that split screen lag was mostly created by closely packed player made structures as well as clutter, creating the rubber banding effect. We've noticed now that it seems regrowth (say, after picking all the reeds ((60+)) in the swamp next to our base biome) seems to be the culprit. The rubber banding is pretty much gone, but the game slows down quite a bit while the reeds are regrowing. It seems the issue subsides once the reeds have regrown. I'd imagine there's not much to be done about it, just wanted to mention it.

And sorry to shout you, I was going to just quote you on a line or two but I couldn't get the video removed from the quote.

Anyway, thanks again for all the hard work! It's meant quite a lot to me and my wife over the years.

Edited by Dunk Mujunk
  • Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

• Developer
19 hours ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

A quick side note, we've noticed that rolling back a world to a day when we were on a boat out at sea instead places us at the Florid Postern and removes the boat from the world. Not sure if this is a bug, if so I'll report it to the proper location.

This may have been fixed in the Maxwell update but it would only apply to saves/rollbacks that have been made since the update. Let me know if it's still happening and you're certain that you're rolling back to a save that happened after the update.

• Thanks 2

On 11/23/2022 at 3:42 PM, CharlesB said:

This may have been fixed in the Maxwell update but it would only apply to saves/rollbacks that have been made since the update. Let me know if it's still happening and you're certain that you're rolling back to a save that happened after the update.

Just tested it out (later than I wanted to due to the holidays), and it seems to work fine now, again thank you Charles.

56 minutes ago, Zandon 16 said:

Please explain exactly what a shadow sneak does.

It’s a trap that changes the form of mobs that change forms with how High/Low your Sanity is.

Example: It turns Rabbits into Beardlings (The version you see them as when low Sanity..)

• Like 1