Should Maxwell have a better sanity regeneration?

Single player Maxwell had 20 sanity/minute regen but dst one's only 6.75. From my gameplay experience I feel like his sanity regeneration should get a huge increase after this rework. Restoring sanity with clothes and food is pointless, since you gonna loose it all anyways the moment you decide to use your army or workers. Spells drain a lot of sanity and since Maxwell is always low on it (because it will take a long time to recover from 5 clones) you gonna go insane after usually casting 2 or 3 spells. But more importantly, being insane is actually great for Maxwell because it's free nightmare fuel, free spells, maximum work power and maximum damage. Game really encourages Maxwell players to go insane and I think higher sanity regen would give players an option to not reject their sanity meter all together.

Neglecting your mental health never felt this good before. 

Maxwell doesn't really have insanity problems in his current state. If you push him all the way to summoning enough duelists/workers that he goes insane, then, sure, you'll be insane, but you could also, not, do that. In my max gameplay, I simply don't summon enough shadows to push me over the edge, and I get by just fine, being low-ish to mid sanity but not actually being insane. because maxwell has a crazy amount of work potential even while he isn't even using 100% of his power.

1 hour ago, Gi-Go said:

But more importantly, being insane is actually great for Maxwell because it's free nightmare fuel, free spells, maximum work power and maximum damage. Game really encourages Maxwell players to go insane and I think higher sanity regen would give players an option to not reject their sanity meter all together.

I've seen people complain that his high Sanity regen on singleplayer made it difficult to stay insane.

Just now, whiteking said:

Now his sanity drain is so fast

Whats... draining your sanity? Maxwell doesn't have many active sanity drains, his summons drain some sanity but for it to be noticeable you'd have to be summoning sneaks/pillars constantly, which doesn't actually happen in gameplay, aside from boss fights, but you'd ought to be prepared while doing that anyway.

20+/m in singleplayer was funny because dapper but kind of overkill at the same time and made it annoying to have low sanity on purpose.  Tam level still lets him shrug off things like night time while being able to reasonably shift between the two states of sanity.

I do like how ridiculous his DS sanity was though, he could do some really silly things like just not care about wetness at all. But this was also when his other perks were the crappy shadow puppets (which didn't even exist in the original release mind you) and temporary starting gear and not the set of tools he has now.

43 minutes ago, Primalflower said:

Whats... draining your sanity? Maxwell doesn't have many active sanity drains, his summons drain some sanity but for it to be noticeable you'd have to be summoning sneaks/pillars constantly, which doesn't actually happen in gameplay, aside from boss fights, but you'd ought to be prepared while doing that anyway.

If you'll use workers for example you will loose most fo your sanity. When they are finished you aren't getting your actual sanity back just the max amount. And  you stay low on it until regeneration will do it's thing. I usually end up using a spell on something before my regen does anything at all. 

4 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

I usually end up using a spell on something before my regen does anything at all. 

but. The fact that is takes away maximum sanity is exactly what makes maxwell's sanity not a problem. If you're below a certain threshold, it won't take any actual sanity away when you do it. Especially with workers.

12 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

I do like how ridiculous his DS sanity was though, he could do some really silly things like just not care about wetness at all. But this was also when his other perks were the crappy shadow puppets (which didn't even exist in the original release mind you) and temporary starting gear and not the set of tools he has now.

But i'm not suggesting sanity regen as an upside. I think it's just a better character design to have massive sanity regen for someone who highly benefits from insanity. So, a downside? No, not that either. Maxwell has 5 nightmare fuel farm methods. It's more of a... allowance to use spells on regular enemies without going insane for those who feel like it. 

1 minute ago, Primalflower said:

but. The fact that is takes away maximum sanity is exactly what makes maxwell's sanity not a problem. If you're below a certain threshold, it won't take any actual sanity away when you do it. Especially with workers.

Which is why Maxwell is usually sane but just barely. A single spell use will ruin that and that's pretty much the whole reason I wrote this. Going insane from casting a spell dosen't seem right. You kill a shadow creature and you are sane again. Use a spell insane again. Kill shadow creature sane again. And so on and so on.

I'm not bothered by that it just feels odd. Like I dont even have a regeneration. 

6 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

Which is why Maxwell is usually sane but just barely. A single spell use will ruin that and that's pretty much the whole reason I wrote this. Going insane from casting a spell dosen't seem right. You kill a shadow creature and you are sane again. Use a spell insane again. Kill shadow creature sane again. And so on and so on.

I'm not bothered by that it just feels odd. Like I dont even have a regeneration. 

I don't mean this in a mean way my friend, but I think you may simply be overestimating, or rather over-exerting maxwell when you don't need to and suffering the subsequent penalty.

7 minutes ago, Primalflower said:

I don't mean this in a mean way my friend, but I think you may simply be overestimating, or rather over-exerting maxwell when you don't need to and suffering the subsequent penalty.

I see what you mean. I'm using Maxwell's perks too much and the game punishes me for that. But I'm saying that this punishment feels like a reward instead so maybe it shouldn't even be this way? Sanity is a controversial meter and for reworked Maxwell that's especially the case. 

12 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

I see what you mean. I'm using Maxwell's perks too much and the game punishes me for that. But I'm saying that this punishment feels like a reward instead so maybe it shouldn't even be this way? Sanity is a controversial meter and for reworked Maxwell that's especially the case. 

I get what you're saying.

Having 20 sanity regen sounds fun but I can't see it as a downside as they say, on DS it's a downside because maxwell can't cut sanity enough to go insane, on DST maxwell can always go insane whenever he wants.
I'm neutral to this change, I would be fine either adding or not.

i think the 20/min San regen of daperness  and giga chadness is pure fun, and is an downside to get insane on DS maxwell, but DST maxwell have the abiltiy to get insane by himself  in the end it would be just an buff besides when going in lunar places
so i think a 10/min San is in order, because enligthment crown give 10, thus going to 20 

Since the beta release I’ve been playing normally in four different play styles, which resulted in 90+ Days different worlds each playthrough

Spoiler

1)Full nomad on a beefalo, getting some raid bosses on the way, and exploring the whole up and down world in the first year
2) all bosses but at slow pace, in a tiny messy base
3) FW rush on a beefalo (the actual FW fight is made without a beefalo though) then the rest of the bosses while making a small but decent base (current playthrough)
4) full facetank combat Maxwell vs the world (this didn’t go so great tbh, I got tired of dying)

The main conclusion I have is that more sanity regen would ONLY work if night armor and dark sword still had sanity drain.
Considering that they don’t anymore, his regen with a tam are enough to quickly recover all the sanity damage you can get with your powers, or by getting hit with night armor, without ever needing sanity food. The only exceptions would be during some bosses fights , and even then it can be avoided if you don’t abuse the prison, or use bee queen helmet during some phases.

In the actual day to day it would be very annoying to have a higher sanity regen, specially at the moon island.
As it is now, it just works. And if you feel you need more, you can always go in thul armor and celestial crown (it adds up to about 20/min, with his passive)

2 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

up to about 20/min, with his passive)

But it would Be cool  to remember his 20 San  i wanted at least 10 San regen noy 6.67

I would love 20 San base regen

And for many would Be one more downside that would make many people happy 

But for me would Be an buff

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

6.67 base sanity regen
10 crown sanity regen
3.34 thul armor regen

20 ish

Thats true but would Be cool while using Just Head gear no body parts, but i really forgot that your have body sanity regen options, i never rely on them but It is cool to remember

And yeah, 10 is a more pleasing númber than 6.67

In the end most people would not even notice the changes, only would feel the change to 20 so for 10 i am ALL for it

Archived