Talk about why player feel frustrated with new shadow gear system

In a word, the difference is too little to perceive

To explain this, let us look in to a game experience by a poor maxwell player:

day1: wow! I have so many new spells, I can't wait to use them!

day5: magician top awesome! it gives me extra inventory!

day15: I get nightmare suit! My duelists get a huge promotion(when wear 3 gears meaning damage plus 2)

day20 - day45: still love my magician top.

day70: After so much torture, I get thulecite suit and crown! Let's see how strong my duelists will be!

(two thousand years later...)Hey, I can't tell the difference!(actually there's no difference) 

day140: Finally! I defeat the fuelweaver and get bone equipments! How will it strengthen my shadow army?

(when wear bone armor and bone helm)I can't tell the difference.(If not equip the thurible,damage will from 44 to  52, means 1/5 of 40)

After searching at wiki: what? I must tame a beefalo to achieve my highest damage?(thurible can't be used in  battle  directly because it's just 10 damage.)So what this system was born for? I wear my most expensive equipment and I only get 8 damage promotion? To reach the highest damage i must to tame a beefalo? Ok, I'm done with all this. (start reading wick's bee book.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yeah I totally agree that a 44 attack duelist can deal a lot of damage, and maxwell are magician, not a fighter.

But this shadow gear system just makes me confused.

Klei, rebalance this system please, it makes me feel really weird.

The hat doesn't provide any protection so maybe you don't want to waste your night armour therefore are less inclined to join the fight also night armour makes you insane if you get hit. Both these equipments actually discourage you from joining the fight.

Thulecite crown plus thulecite suit both provide massive protection with the same damage tier, encouraging you to join the fight without having to worry about going insane on hit. Suit actually gives 3.3 sanity boost as well.

So while these equipment are on the same damage tier, the thulecite gear is much much better for maxwells willing to join in a boss fight. Compared to the easier accessed shadow equipment.

Bone helm, bone suit and shadow thurcible thing are prime late game equipment. Bone helm allows you to spam pillar and shadow thurcible allows your duelists to do more damage. You really have no need to join in any fights when you have this gear. Just spam prison and watch ur minions wreck bosses. 

I think people need to play the rework more before judging klei's decisions here.

Its balanced right now.

23 minutes ago, Gashzer said:

The hat doesn't provide any protection so maybe you don't want to waste your night armour therefore are less inclined to join the fight also night armour makes you insane if you get hit. Both these equipments actually discourage you from joining the fight.

Thulecite crown plus thulecite suit both provide massive protection with the same damage tier, encouraging you to join the fight without having to worry about going insane on hit. Suit actually gives 3.3 sanity boost as well.

So while these equipment are on the same damage tier, the thulecite gear is much much better for maxwells willing to join in a boss fight. Compared to the easier accessed shadow equipment.

Bone helm, bone suit and shadow thurcible thing are prime late game equipment. Bone helm allows you to spam pillar and shadow thurcible allows your duelists to do more damage. You really have no need to join in any fights when you have this gear. Just spam prison and watch ur minions wreck bosses. 

I think people need to play the rework more before judging klei's decisions here.

Its balanced right now.

Very ballaced, the late game gear i can aquire faster with any other dps, Is worse dps wise than the last gear in figth , less armor less safety, and turible destroys your dps, you need an befsllo that isnt Shadow nothing

14 minutes ago, Gashzer said:

Its balanced right now.

yeah, i agree what you say.

and actually this is the point that makes me feel weird

When wear the final equipment bone helm, it is best for player to sit aside and just watch.

But when you are not in fight, the attack speed of duelist slow down, and your nightmare fuel burn fast. (duelists die fast.)

When you try to participate in battle, the bone helm can't provide you too much armor, maxwell still fragile and die fast.

If a beefalo was not tamed, you can't participant in fight while wear the ultra equipment, but you need to fight to encourage your minions.

that's the very point makes me feel weird.

By the way, since the begin of maxwell rework, I play and test maxwell in beta a lot.

Happy you can reply. 

1 minute ago, edulopes said:

Very ballaced, the late game gear i can aquire faster with any other dps, Is worse dps wise than the last gear in figth , less armor less safety, and turible destroys your dps, you need an befsllo that isnt Shadow nothing

theey added that because it fits the shadow theme and people that want to stay away can still deal huge damage. Someone who wanna engage will use a sword which is already a good balance between afk vs fighter maxwells

i dont see the problem for being rewarded for taming a beefalo and using it in combat. Even less taking in count that fighter beefalos are a pain for how often you meed to feed them in order to ride them,(speed beef best beef, change my mind)

i dont get why people is so damn worried about getting top damage like if that was the only thing. There are a variety of combinations that are strong

1 minute ago, taijihongqigong said:

If a beefalo was not tamed, you can't participant in fight while wear the ultra equipment, but you need to fight to encourage your minions.

You can accomplish this by smacking the enemy with a thurible every few seconds:

I will agree it's extremely convoluted, but not entirely dysfunctional.

2 minutes ago, taijihongqigong said:

yeah, i agree what you say.

and actually this is the point that makes me feel weird

When wear the final equipment bone helm, it is best for player to sit aside and just watch.

But when you are not in fight, the attack speed of duelist slow down, and your nightmare fuel burn fast. (duelists die fast.)

When you try to participate in battle, the bone helm can't provide you too much armor, maxwell still fragile and die fast.

that's the very point makes me feel weird.

By the way, since the begin of maxwell rework, I play and test maxwell in beta a lot.

Happy you can reply. 

Bone suit makes you invincible, if the constantly inprisoned boss manages to hit you. Bone helm allows you to spawn one more duelist (6 instead of 5) since sanity isnt an issue anymore. You could have 3 or 4 codexs late game which are much more fuel efficient than refueling just the one. 

Even if the dps isnt that much higher. The fact you can spam prison spell alone makes the fight itself much much easier even if the length of the fight is the same. Instead of grinding health/sanity healing and armour and nightmare fuel. You only need to grind fuel for fights after you kill fuelweaver.

14 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

theey added that because it fits the shadow theme and people that want to stay away can still deal huge damage. Someone who wanna engage will use a sword which is already a good balance between afk vs fighter maxwells

i dont see the problem for being rewarded for taming a beefalo and using it in combat. Even less taking in count that fighter beefalos are a pain for how often you meed to feed them in order to ride them,(speed beef best beef, change my mind)

i dont get why people is so damn worried about getting top damage like if that was the only thing. There are a variety of combinations that are strong

My problem is Maxwell nos have to do só much for an medíocre buff killing fuel is hard for many players

Taming an beefalo tales at least one season, and you have to mantain him by giving Salt, Wanda ONLY needs fuel other caracterd only nerd fuel and living logs...

Every game I've played I got thulecite suits way before night armor, I honestly think they're easier to get. 

7 minutes ago, edulopes said:

My problem is Maxwell nos have to do só much for an medíocre buff killing fuel is hard for many player

You think an infinite durability chest piece that provides 100% resistance and a helmet that makes you immune to insanity is mediocre? These items you get still have all their normal functionality, it's not like the 20-35% duelist boost is all they do.

13 minutes ago, edulopes said:

My problem is Maxwell nos have to do só much for an medíocre buff killing fuel is hard for many players

but you dont need to kill FW to summon 6 duelist. That is only to improve the duelist, without it is still one of the best fighters

every character gets better with fw loot but maxwell gets fw loot propeties plus the buff to his shadows

13 minutes ago, edulopes said:

Taming an beefalo tales at least one season, and you have to mantain him by giving Salt, Wanda ONLY needs fuel other caracterd only nerd fuel and living logs...

the cost of salt licks is absurd. I didnt waste a single salt lick in +300 days because im using him daily. You only waste salt licks when you leave them

another wanda comment.... maybe maxwell should get that hp mechanic since doesnt matter at all... Wanda is a glass cannon character focused on fighting and end game mobility while maxwell has different perks and less downsides

edit. And if wanda is that op (i suggested changes when she was release btw) you should suggest ways to nerf or change her to make her more interesting (like AC having less raw damage than dark sword to incentive fighting melee) instead of wanting other characters to reach a boring power level. Is like if someone ask to buff abigail so she can be used in boss fights as easy as you can use shadow duelist or asking to buff weeber spider army to mine because wurt follower can

17 minutes ago, Gashzer said:

Bone suit makes you invincible, if the constantly inprisoned boss manages to hit you. Bone helm allows you to spawn one more duelist (6 instead of 5) since sanity isnt an issue anymore. You could have 3 or 4 codexs late game which are much more fuel efficient than refueling just the one. 

Even if the dps isnt that much higher. The fact you can spam prison spell alone makes the fight itself much much easier even if the length of the fight is the same. Instead of grinding health/sanity healing and armour and nightmare fuel. You only need to grind fuel for fights after you kill fuelweaver.

cool idea!

Afk maxwell is also a fun way to play him now.

With infinite spells, maxwell get strong, that's true.

But when met deerclops or beargar, bone helm seems waste.

when against beequeen(which has minions to tank damage), fuelweaver, or celestial champion(Laser has two attack calculation),

wear bone helm will make you in danger or lost a mountain of fuel.

To make afk maxwell playble, you still need a tamed beefalo.

Or the risk is too high.

11 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Every game I've played I got thulecite suits way before night armor, I honestly think they're easier to get. 

You think an infinite durability chest piece that provides 100% resistance and a helmet that makes you immune to insanity is mediocre? These items you get still have all their normal functionality, it's not like the 20-35% duelist boost is all they do.

70 armor rating helmet, no one uses It to figth with It besides Maxwell, make at least on par with any baseball cap 

Shadow armor is safer overall personally i like me some bone armor, but boné helm defences ARE Just bad because they are locked for too late game, in this state os more worth It using Wanda killing FW them change to Maxwell, oh wait Wanda is better, i Will just change to him Just for Farm logs, oh wait wurt is better, let me read some wicker books, oh wait you need wicker

10 minutes ago, dois raios said:

I dont think duelists need more damage, neither less damage.

But all feedbacks are valid, either asking for buffs or asking for nerfs (that is how you balance something, nerfing or buffing it)

I agree that 44 attack duelist can deal a lot of damage.

I'm just feel weird.

When i wear 3 shadow gears, my minions attack multiple 2.

Then i wear 3 thulecite gears, attack still 44. That makes me feel weird.

I am free of the risk of insane, but in a new risk of lose durability of my expensive armor.

temporarily agree that.

now i wear bone armor and bone helm, they can't protect me will, also make me insane.

And only give you 4 atk.

That makes me feel a little not worth to wear it.

6 minutes ago, edulopes said:

70 armor rating helmet, no one uses It to figth with It besides Maxwell, make at least on par with any baseball cap 

Shadow armor is safer overall personally i like me some bone armor, but boné helm defences ARE Just bad because they are locked for too late game, in this state os more worth It using Wanda killing FW them change to Maxwell, oh wait Wanda is better, i Will just change to him Just for Farm logs, oh wait wurt is better, let me read some wicker books, oh wait you need wicker

meanwhile people play willow, woodie or wx for fun...

1 hour ago, taijihongqigong said:

1 hour ago, taijihongqigong said:

Those are the choices player has to make. Whether to reach maximum dps with sword and do a lot more managing during fight (spell stuff on top of regular fighting and managing Maxwell's stats) or stay away at the cost of some extra nightmare fuel; whether to strengthen his army at the cost of Maxwell's own fragility or to fight in safer conditions at the cost of army being weaker - I like that there is no "meta" play, like Wanda's gameplay has, variety keeps things fresh, I think.

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

speed beef best beef, change my mind

Default beef is best beef, because speed difference is negligible, 50 damage is reachable with war saddle and difference between 50 and 66 is not much, and default beefalo doesn't need to be fed for mounting it unlike ornery. But it's harder to obtain than other tendencies, so it's fine the way it is.

12 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

meanwhile people play willow, woodie or wx for fun...

And from time to time, someone on the forums ask for a buff XD

How often do you see people asking buffs for wolfgang and wanda? Is it at the same frequency as woodie, willow, winona, etc?

As i Said, Maxwell only have the prision besides that in similar fashion pre rework he isnt more worth than any other option

I have an word that i prepared the merm Terrain and merm mais, i use ONLY Wanda now, she can tp, she can kill ALL Bosses she can Farm do It all

3 minutes ago, Pig Princess said:

Those are the choices player has to make. Whether to reach maximum dps with sword and do a lot more managing during fight (spell stuff on top of regular fighting and managing Maxwell's stats) or stay away at the cost of some extra nightmare fuel; whether to strengthen his army at the cost of Maxwell's own fragility or to fight in safer conditions at the cost of army being weaker - I like that there is no "meta" play, like Wanda's gameplay has, variety keeps things fresh, I think.

And there's only way you can strengthen your army and yourself, beefalo, this shadow gear system make me no choices.(cry)

we all know how torture to tame a beefalo, especially tame a default.(cry again).

Archived