WILSON REWORK, what concept do you prefer? (POLL)

Wilson rework, what concept do YOU like?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Wilson rework, what concept do YOU like?

• Focusing on his beard
    • THE beginner character,more mechanics (simple ones)
    • focus on science or lore (gimmicky?)
    • No changes AT ALL
    • Something else (comment your opinion)
    • More convenient to play

On 12/21/2022 at 8:00 AM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

dumb guy like wolfgang

nMpglapHgFCc5z5sAdIQVlTGNxXgjzuR4Nl_KTLC

Spoiler

Seriously though, he just doesn't speak english that well, shows an irrational amount of cowardness towards supernatural stuff, and likes referring to himself with his own name because he is a proud strongman who enjoys a good show. These don't make him dumb.

5 hours ago, Cheggf said:

So you want to change his stat numbers for no reason or..?

Where did you pull that claim out of?

Well, here's what I think Wilson's rework should be like:

Lore:

Nightmare Throne loads anyone who sits on it with shadow power. Unlike Charlie and Maxwell, Wilson didn't have time to get adjusted to it or even realize that he has this power at all. Only now is it starting to manifest. True to his 'gentleman scientist' status Wilson refuses to consider it magic and uses his newfound powers to conduct scientific experiments with varying results. Essentially Wilson is doing what Wagstaff aspires to in singleplayer (minus the whole 'destroy the world' part). The side effect is that due to his lack of control over shadow magic, Wilson is now haunted by his own, personalized shadow creature- Shadow Wilson

Gameplay:

Wilson plays exactly the same as before his rework except that you can craft his unique crafting station (let's call it the research table). Once you make something at the research table you essentially trigger the Wilson rework (unreversable). Shadow Wilson will now hunt you down but (since you've already used it) you have access to Wilson's experiments.

1 hour ago, Szczuku said:

Where did you pull that claim out of?

> Wilson shouldn't be a comparison character. 

> Wilson is not a comparison character.

> Yes he is, he has default stats.

With the only reasoning for him being a comparison character is him having default stats the only way for him to no longer be one is to change his stats.

If he actually was a comparison character you guys wouldn't want him to be changed since he'd be perfectly center of the pack and a good point of comparison with everyone instead of only the one person you chose to compare him to. He's a terrible comparison to other characters, every comparison is gonna end up the same.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

> Wilson shouldn't be a comparison character. 

> Wilson is not a comparison character.

> Yes he is, he has default stats.

With the only reasoning for him being a comparison character is him having default stats the only way for him to no longer be one is to change his stats.

If he actually was a comparison character you guys wouldn't want him to be changed since he'd be perfectly center of the pack and a good point of comparison with everyone instead of only the one person you chose to compare him to. He's a terrible comparison to other characters, every comparison is gonna end up the same.

I think a better way to put it is that it seems like he is supposed to be a point of reference for character balancing but he is not. He is underwhelming because the average character power level has risen significantly over the years.He is also not very fun to play, and doesnt really fit the beginner character niche either because he might be simple but doesnt actively teach the player anything. A lot of other characters will push players towards learning certain aspects of the game.

He doesnt need stat changes necessarily, what he needs is to be fun to play and not feel like filler in the character roster.

7 hours ago, slendyproject said:

a better way to put it is that it seems like he is supposed to be a point of reference for character balancing but he is not.

He has always been weak compared to most, so why do you think he's supposed to be a point of reference? You guys just think this game is Overwatch or something so you're trying your hardest to come up with what Wilson is supposed to be according to le meta, because there's no way that a game which literally had a character who sucks on purpose because he's the game's hard mode could ever have a character that doesn't fit into le meta.

He is underwhelming because the average character power level has risen significantly over the years.

He was "underwhelming" since characters had power. He was always like this. Don't play him if you only want to play as overpowered power fantasy characters. Simple as.

He is also not very fun to play

He's in my personal top 5 most played and globally he's currently the #1 most played. He's always in the top 3.

I think everyone who's easier to play than Warly, Wormwood, and Wes are not very fun to play. Should everyone else get downsides as large as them to match how I want to play because I can't handle there being any characters I don't like to play? Or maybe I can be fine with only playing 5 characters and you're fine with only playing 18?

and doesnt really fit the beginner character niche either

He is by far the best character for new players. If someone who only plays Wendy suddenly started playing Wilson there's a good chance they'd start dying because they don't have an overpowered ghost to do everything for them. If you take away the beard from someone who only plays Wilson they'll probably be fine.

Wilson is the only character who actually teaches you how to play the game without relying on anything overpowered. He has no downsides to worry about, no big upsides to use as a crutch.

He doesnt need stat changes necessarily, what he needs is to be fun to play and not feel like filler in the character roster.

Agreed. He needs no changes at all. Why don't you ask for changes to boring characters like Willow or Winona instead?

Personaly I see this refresh going one of the two ways:

1. Very minimal changes such as dropping beard hair on death etc.;

2. Gigantic addition which for beginners won't change anything, but for more experienced players would open up a large and complex mechanic;

To expand on my second point. I was thinking of some sort of station where you can mess around with things and get varied results. For instance you could prototype an alternative recipe for something, or make the original recipe cheaper, or make the resulting item stronger/more durable. All of this would either come with some expensive investment or have some factor of randomness.

Honestly though I think it will be the former. Wilson needs to stay a beginner friendly character.

Archived