Colony Diary: Project Azathoth

Is it possible that venting tons of mined Co2 into the bases atmosphere was a bad idea?

ZnDyqvt.jpg

No, it's the duplicants who are wrong.

On the slightly more competent side of reality, Lindsay dealt with that volcano and didn't even ded!

5cwByyO.jpg

Giving it more flat ground to expand into is about as much as I can think to do to keep it from overpressurizing. Hopefully it will be enough.

Finally, Ellie is alone on Reekista. I sent her, Nisbet and Turner on the shuttle to load up on gold and cobalt and they left without her, the jerks. Sunny disposition means she can survive on the swamp chards, muckroot and nutrient bars while she prepares the the place to replace our home base ranches and become our primary source of critter meat.

uGZD25j.jpg

The food ran out before construction was complete, so Nisbet came to pick her up again. We're still a ways off from actually using this place.

image.thumb.png.e39f7759c811550f2a5a829630766079.png

Cycle 670

I've finished renovating the washrooms into something a bit more presentable.

8VcN7oO.jpg

I also added a full sized rec-room, to replace the dinky little crawl space they were using to phone Persepholin.

image.thumb.png.2def1c4209c697285dd2dda89f47639e.png

Speaking of, Persepholin has developed an all-consuming pool of volcanic brimstone that will likely become a problem at some point.

JqV5P25.jpg

Cycle 675

I'm setting up some proper rocket infrastructure (procket infrastructure?) in the northeast.

lVOGKt4.jpg

I think the priority, though, is to finally get the colonisation rocket off the central pad so I can relocate, refuel and reconstruct the deep space exploration rocket. Which leads back to the age-old question: where do I colonize?

Since I have most everything I need already, that question basically comes down to the sustainable materials I can get from each location:

• Tungsten from Stinkalin. I only have a small amount of wolframite, so this would provide.
  • Iron from Chillista. Also handy, to stabilize my steel supply. With that said, I do have 100 tons of unprocessed rust lying about.
  • And Salt Water/Polluted Water from Hydrial. Theoretically useful to expand my duplicant count, but that will be more trouble than it's worth until I move the ranches to Reekista and free up some space for bedrooms and infrastructure.
  • Udderial. Moo's.

Any opinions? I'm genuinely not sure where to go. Honestly it would probably be better to go back to Reekista and finish up the work there, but I need to get that dang rocket off the pad.

Off on a new adventure...

DR0SQsb.jpg

wpL9D8q.jpg

We're planning to set something up on Stinkalin. Not sure what yet but a tungsten volcano tamer would sure be nice...

I wish they wouldn't insist on idling in whichever locations have the least amount of radiation protection. I'm probably going to regret not bringing along rad pills along...

Also in space news, the Spirit of Defensive Sputnik has been remodelled once again, this time to have a 20-tile range.

mLa2lwN.jpg

V7vXuFy.jpg

I can imagine myself re-using this design in future game's: it's incredibly versatile. With it, Ruby can combine exploration and data bank collection, plus mine any asteroid fields that happen to be along the way. As soon as I no longer need data banks, I can replace the orbital data collector with a beach chair and the pilot can dedicate themselves full time to the noble pursuit of hamster wheel.

The new Sputnik's maiden voyage will allow us to uncover a large swathe of the starmap, two more PoI's and mine an organic mass field along the way.

tU6NXc5.jpg

Welcome to Stinkalin, folks.

Y9RujN1.jpg

The rover lander and trailblazer can be immediately re-purposed into a rocket platform, and we can use plastic tiles for radiation shielding while we dig into the gravitas room.

faRNjqc.jpg

image.thumb.png.976da8fe4699261da3ef78b366ec53e7.png.

It looks like we have three tungsten volcanoes, a natural gas geyser, infected oxygen vent and a murder tree. The real reward, though, is the pacu. With fish for food, this place will be easily sustainable with one or two caretakers, and the spare calories can go to the tree.

Unfortunately, that's where the good news ends. My dupes must have thieved all the steel and cobalt from the colonization rocket while it was sitting on the pad, so we have no refined metal beyond whatever I can safely cannibalise from the rocket interior itself, and I don't think I can tame the volcanoes without it.

Additionally, the small pump in the rocket isn't enough to keep the atmosuits topped up, and I'm not willing to expose everyone to slimelung. I'll spam a bunch of deodorizers everywhere and head back. I'd like to take a fry egg with me at least, but if it hatches in the rocket I'm not exactly sure how to get it out...

Okay, I think we're good to go home. The atmosuits are out of durability and the rover is nearly out of charge.

dSHlylF.jpg

We finished an automatic pacu breeder. It will do what it says on the tin, and send any spare fish fillets to the tree (better than just letting it rot), for as long as the generators coal storage lasts. Once the deoderizers stop deoderizing it will be the only power consumer, so I expect it to last a while and slowly build up an on-site population of pacu.

Cycle 700

In hindsight, it probably would have been possible to predict this happening in advance.

QQVt53w.jpg

With the turbines overheating, we're no longer getting cobalt and gold out of the machine.

I guess I can't put off going back to Reekista any longer. My goals will be to fix the overheating machines, set up someone up over there as as a permanent inhabitant, add critters to the ranches, and build an interplanetary launcher. As much as I like the idea of delivering tungsten, gold and meat via cargo shuttle, a launcher will simply be easier.

Cycle 700

Looks like Cycle 700 is the day all my machines stop working. The volcano tamer's autosweeper overheated, and now I've got to get back into the steam chamber somehow, and someone somehow released a small amount of polluted oxygen into the vaccum.

image.thumb.png.2abc80912e349af0d7d937fefe4c0fc1.png

Meanwhile, Ellie, Lindsay, Joshua, and new duplicant Gossman piled into the Reekista shuttle alongside way-too-many critter eggs and set off.

wsThU2u.jpg

There will be a cease of meat production for the next 20 cycles on Verdana, but we should have enough to see us through. Probably.

Once there, it didn't take long to get the steam turbines running again... and then Ellie promptly flooded them. Dang it Ellie.

30DegTf.jpg

Cycle 715

Alright! Turbines back up and running, the ranches are built, we don't have enough power to run everything, Joshua is having stress problems, everyone has slimelung and we're completely out of sand. So... success?

54ZAeEm.jpg

Cycle 730

Lindsay and Ellie have come back to Verdana. Gossman and Joshua live on Reekista as ranchers now, alongside the newly-printed duplicant Quinn.

I had to build a replacement Pluto I bottle-rocket cargo shuttle for the Verdana-to-Reekista run. It turns out there's this design flaw where if you launch it with 4 dupes and no oxygen, everyone dies. Don't ask me how I know this.

Sometimes I envy the people who are content to build nice, square rooms in the rocket interiors. They're always so much... prettier than what I do.

WJ01ljZ.jpg

Regardless, this one has vacuum-storage for hot cobalt and gold and an interior oxygen tank, so it doesn't need to rely on oxylite. Not that we're having any trouble generating oxylite: we have a factory on Verdana now to process rust into oxylite and iron ore.

qnFTRdp.jpg

Ellie will use it to take sand, mealwood and balm lily seeds back to Reekista so we can set the drecko's up with food and finally get the slimelung out of the air.

Also, Ruby just finished the last item on the research tree. Time to head back out there and finish off the starmap.

4 hours ago, tuxii said:

Any update on this situation?

Those natural tiles above the turbines actual make the solution surprisingly easy.

There was already a granite cooling loop behind the turbines: it just wasn't keeping up with the heat bleeding through the metal tile. I swapped it out for radiant pipes, which solved the problem. As for the flooding, I simply pumped the water upwards to the drecko ranches, where it's needed. Took a while, but the volcanoes are dormant right now, so no rush.

Not sure what you mean by the natural tiles. Assuming I missed some easier solution?

The natural tiles allow you to easily make a vacuum sealed Joint Plate junction.

You can build something like this:

image.png.21129db190819bc2bd46130a988b18e1.png

The dupes can build the wires in diagonally after and the inside is a perfect vacuum afterwards.

6 hours ago, tuxii said:

The natural tiles allow you to easily make a vacuum sealed Joint Plate junction.

Ah. This I did not do. The aquatuner is providing enough cooling so I'm basically just tanking the damage.

Reekista is reasonably well set up now. Cobalt and gold is secured, at least. The cargo shuttle doesn't really work as advertised, though. Oh, the vaccuum chamber works well enough, but getting the hot metal into and out of the chamber risks overheating the interior.

B6RIgv4.jpg

Meanwhile, the interplanetary launcher was able to launch several tons of gold at Verdana. Radbolts are expensive without using nuclear waste compression, but the launcher is so much easier.

It's a shame. I really want to get a viable carbon dioxide cargo shuttle going, but there's so many different point's of failure I don't see any way to do it in a safe manner.

We finally killed off the last of the airborne germs. The radiation lamps might have been overkill, but they sure are satisfying.

Fpqtgjn.jpg

vFX3O8R.jpg

Still on the todo list: a deep freezer for the meat, some bleach stone/chlorine for the drecko habitat and a long term solution for oxygen once we add in a few more ranchers. And of course, beautification. I'm not entirely sure what sort of shape I can make out of this:

HmNGr9M.jpg

... but there must be something I can wrap around it. Any idea's?

4 hours ago, QuQuasar said:

Ah. This I did not do. The aquatuner is providing enough cooling so I'm basically just tanking the damage.

Reekista is reasonably well set up now. Cobalt and gold is secured, at least. The cargo shuttle doesn't really work as advertised, though. Oh, the vaccuum chamber works well enough, but getting the hot metal into and out of the chamber risks overheating the interior.

B6RIgv4.jpg

Meanwhile, the interplanetary launcher was able to launch several tons of gold at Verdana. Radbolts are expensive without using nuclear waste compression, but the launcher is so much easier.

It's a shame. I really want to get a viable carbon dioxide cargo shuttle going, but there's so many different point's of failure I don't see any way to do it in a safe manner.

We finally killed off the last of the airborne germs. The radiation lamps might have been overkill, but they sure are satisfying.

Fpqtgjn.jpg

vFX3O8R.jpg

Still on the todo list: a deep freezer for the meat, some bleach stone/chlorine for the drecko habitat and a long term solution for oxygen once we add in a few more ranchers. And of course, beautification. I'm not entirely sure what sort of shape I can make out of this:

HmNGr9M.jpg

... but there must be something I can wrap around it. Any idea's?

A luna fish. Has round and fat face (right), a short, small and stubby tail (left), two fins very close to the tail (the rocket is the upper fin and the beeta zone is the lower fin).

Feels rather creepy and "ancient", and dwells in water like some unnamed creepy, ancient and omnipotent being.

image.jpeg.9d21fd39ac68ca37a8e2cb9ef444a098.jpeg

It has grown.

oh wow

i have a short novel to read now. I hope it pulled thru, I suppose you succeeded. It seems to be managed to make it this far. This will be great.

The screenshots don't seem to be too much, slower rigs with my slow type internet may pause briefly. Could hiding them under spoiler labels reduce the demand?

I mean i like all the pics. But, I'm greedy. And I aged a year in the interim, a solid 51.

Archived