Remove or improve the performance of the tallbird give-birth-to-smallbird mechanic

As the title suggests. In DST tallbirds lay eggs occasionally while being equally capable of directly giving birth to smallbirds during spring. Even leaving the lore confusion aside, such a mechanic doesn't perform very well. Tallbirds don't detect the number of tallbird offsprings nearby when attempting to spawn smallbirds, and also considering the fact that the reproducing proccess is capable of happening outside of the loading range, the area near the nest is DESTINED to be crammed by tons of smallbirds and teenbirds if the player rarely visit the nest: no birds die offscreen and new birds just continue to pop up endlessly, which can cause the server to lag, especially when there're multiple nests concentrated in the same area. Another issue is that naturally spawned mass of smallbirds and teenbirds would die off anyway, since they're ALWAYS either killed off by their parents or naturally starved to extinction, producing an insane amount of rot in the longterm process.
I would suggest removing the entire ovoviviparous reproduction thing to solve said problems. Gameplay-wise such a removal saves the longterm server performance and lorewise it makes the breeding behavior more consistent. If the devs are not interested to a complete removal, I would say we need at least some restrictions, eg: tallbirds don't give birth to more spawns if there're already enough of them, naturally-spawned smallbirds and teenbirds never starve, etc.

Idk I have never seen a loading problem Usually theres only like 2 or 3 that spawn even after thousands of days

Ive seen a tallbird fort setpiece with teen birds fighting.  and there has never been more than 2 or 3 babies to a nest.
so I don't think  your worries bout the tallbirds lagging servers is something to worry about. The natural culling of the mothers killing the babies actually keeps the population in check  plus they end up starving anyway if the babies end up killing the mother. 
So I don't really see a problem here.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AgitatedPrettiestDogeTinyFace?tt_content=url&tt_medium=clips_api

48 minutes ago, EsaiXD said:

Ive seen a tallbird fort setpiece with teen birds fighting.  and there has never been more than 2 or 3 babies to a nest.
so I don't think  your worries bout the tallbirds lagging servers is something to worry about. 

That's only if they're loaded in regularly. I've seen hundreds of Smallish Tallbirds from one set piece when unloaded for multiple in game years. They only die if loaded in, they never get killed or starve otherwise.

34 minutes ago, dois raios said:

You are creating a problem where there arent a problem, if we are gonna fix lag, tallbirds would be one of the last things to worry about.

But if you just dont like the way it is now, then i have nothing to say. It is your opinion.

It is a problem, though. OP just listed all of it's issues. I've personally had this exact problem in almost all of my long running worlds.

Just because there's other problems, that doesn't invalidate this one or any other small issues. Klei fixes small things all the time, it's not like this is asking for the impossible.

2 hours ago, Auth said:

It is a problem, though. OP just listed all of it's issues. I've personally had this exact problem in almost all of my long running worlds.

Just because there's other problems, that doesn't invalidate this one or any other small issues. Klei fixes small things all the time, it's not like this is asking for the impossible.

7 hours ago, SirToastyToes said:

That's only if they're loaded in regularly. I've seen hundreds of Smallish Tallbirds from one set piece when unloaded for multiple in game years. They only die if loaded in, they never get killed or starve otherwise.

exactly XD

3 hours ago, dois raios said:

You are creating a problem where there arent a problem, if we are gonna fix lag, tallbirds would be one of the last things to worry about.

But if you just dont like the way it is now, then i have nothing to say. It is your opinion.

as you see in this post it's not only me that insist this mechanic need to be worked better. If you only visit tallbird nests rarely and once you do, it is a problem, especially when you have a bunch of nests together like the natural tallfort set piece or an artificial farmed nest colony (which is exactly made possible just in this QOL beta) in your server

On 10/10/2022 at 2:10 PM, thewalkingcamel said:

producing an insane amount of rot

Or meat. I just cheese that mechanic, which means: lets parents be killed by kids, then go offscreen as teenbirds need to be unloaded, so they cannot cannibalise themselves) and come back quite soon (I mean day or two later, when they day from hunger) to collect all loots.

Probably should be nerfed.

Edit just maybe 200 days to get this, like 2-5 nests around, not really remember but I am sure it was a solo world and these don't last beyound 500 days:
20210226183621_1.thumb.jpg.bf5018adee14d555566e89e3a04930e1.jpg

So looking into the code for this I got some friends to help out deciphering it.

Parsing in childs array(list/table) if there any child with prefab name tallbird if found one, selecting it and not search for any future ones.
If selected bird still exist and is valid (Validation is very global function that every ingame entity have, basicly means this not in LIMBO now) if everything alright, mark that nest has bird to SeasonalSpawnChanges() did not pass next and wasn't able to call SpawnSmallBird().
If selected bird is sleeping now (not sleeping in way of...animation but hibernation (off screen of every client), then we spawn small bird, else mark that there pending spawn, so seems like going to spawn it as soon as possible (in meaning when it goes off screen)

Now shortly: Spring, Nest did not spawned small bird this session yet, there tall bird around that still alive and valid that aligned to this nest, is so and nest off screen spawn small bird

So now this only happens once per year and it has a chance not to based on the timer (couldn't figure out what the timing is for the minimum and maximum.)

so only a single tallbird after 1000 days could spawn potentially  14 smallbirds If never loaded.

So even like the worst case scenario you did the powdercake challenge 18,750 days and never loaded the bird in that time.  that one nest could spawn 267 smallbirds.

Granted though that is 2500 hours of play of never loading the nest.

Archived