Hypothetical Opposite of Relaxed mode: Insanity mode

Basically, here are all the stats of a hypotethical draft of a relaxed mode polar opposite difficulty, more for brainstorming purposes.

Similar to relaxed mode, it's an artificial difficulty scale, for some extra spice for those that want it.

Changelist:

- A new "Insanity" gamemode preset added

image.thumb.png.a5234d1269a283630a62d0b8e3a24cf0.png

Preset description could be:

The world has delved into madness!
Everything is much harder, including damage taken and hunger drain.
When all survivors die, the world resets instantly.

- Two more values (More, Insane) added to many configs

Nonlethal > Default > More > Insane

More will mean +25%

Insane will mean +50%

image.thumb.png.e56a7a8ffa8fa4b3663bfa369fc43cb0.png

Note: "Take less damage" renamed to "Damage taken"

- New config added: Hunger Drain

Less (-35%), Default, More(+25%), Insane(+50%)

- Insanity mode will set the highest value to the following configs:

Damage Taken: Insane (+50%)

Hunger Drain: Insane (+50%)

Hunger Damage: Insane (+50%)

Darkness Damage: Insane (+50%)

Temperature Damage: Insane (+50%)

Ghost Sanity Drain: Insane (+50%)

Sanity Monsters: Tons

Enlightenment Monsters: Tons

Hound Attacks: Tons

Cave Worm Attacks: Tons

- Ironman mode enabled (no rollbacks, instant reset)

image.png.3b61b775b2f9a53022c827c2cb0b162b.png

The rest are default values of normal survival mode.

Anything else I missed that might fit?

Would be interesting to play, albeit a bit of a lazy and artificial approach of doing it. Still fun.

4 hours ago, loopuleasa said:

Anything else I missed that might fit?

Would be interesting to play, albeit a bit of a lazy and artificial approach of doing it. Still fun.

In reality not that much and it's not lazy!      

Artificial difficulty is not the best, it's true, but if we look at the "easy mode" and how is the customization of a world of Don't Starve, it is consistent in the design to have settings that change only the numbers (Example: Spiders --> Tons, more, default, less, none). If we want new true difficulty or different mechanics, then we're talking about changing the game or adding new things.  

7 minutes ago, Milordo said:

In reality not that much and it's not lazy!      

Artificial difficulty is not the best, it's true, but if we look at the "easy mode" and how is the customization of a world of Don't Starve, it is consistent in the design to have settings that change only the numbers (Example: Spiders --> Tons, more, default, less, none). If we want new true difficulty or different mechanics, then we're talking about changing the game or adding new things.  

But... OrangEs nothing world was quite difficult. So why not opposite thing, make low or none of important resources?

27 minutes ago, Milordo said:

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by this. 

Try to set all of world setting to none and try to survive on the empty flat land

So beside making hounds and shadow monsters to tons, there can be twigs, berrybushes, trees, boulders to low

6 minutes ago, DajeKotlyar said:

Try to set all of world setting to none and try to survive on the empty flat land

So beside making hounds and shadow monsters to tons, there can be twigs, berrybushes, trees, boulders to low

Yeah sure but what does it have to do with what I said? More settings is cool, I agree. It's what I talked about it. 

Just now, DajeKotlyar said:

Sorry, my English isnt good enough. I don't have anything against you:wilson_love:

No worries, I got it you weren't saying anything against me and only suggesting "then why don't we lower important resources too?" of which I agree :wilson_flower:

More options = More freedom = More fun 

Tweaking the numbers won't make the game harder. Just more annoying. 

Damage Taken: More healing items to make

Hunger Drain and Hunger Damage: More food to cook

Temperature Damage: Stopping to burn the tree in winter more often. Completely intolerable summer on the surface, which would encourage to spend it in the cave even more.

More Shadows Monsters and Hounds/Worms: You would just get stunlocked from overwhelming numbers of creatures attacking you. 

Edit: Forgot to mention that it would make the game unbearable for characters that already have higher hunger drain and lower temperature resistance, 

20 minutes ago, maxwell_winters said:

Damage Taken: More healing items to make

Hunger Drain and Hunger Damage: More food to cook

Temperature Damage: Stopping to burn the tree in winter more often. Completely intolerable summer on the surface, which would encourage to spend it in the cave even more.

More Shadows Monsters and Hounds/Worms: You would just get stunlocked from overwhelming numbers of creatures attacking you. 

Edit: Forgot to mention that it would make the game unbearable for characters that already have higher hunger drain and lower temperature resistance, 

1st of all, it would be something optional to personalize our experience if wished, just like the rest of settings including the new ones. Nobody will force you to use them like nobody forced you to set wildfires to tons or carrots to non before and like nobody will force you to set weather damage to nonlethal

2nd your comment just describe the scenarios in a vague and convinient way to make the settings look bad when:

Damage Taken: less room for mistakes. You would need to play better or farm quickly healing options or food

hunger: sure, more grindy but also can get you off guard like everything else

temperature damage: wont make you burn trees more often since the temperature will work the same... you will have less room to tank damage if you forgot to get your year, you get caught offward between seasons, etc

more shadows monsters and hounds/worms: already in the game. If you get stunlocked means that is harder than managing few of them, for that noobs survive 1st hound wave but end up building 2379273 traps for late game waves. You dont get stunlock if know how to kite multiple enemies but will make you pay more attention to prevent this

so basically, according to your comment, the game wont change if there were no multiple enemies in waves, there were no seasons, enemies with different damage, etc. This kind of lame "analysis" can go in both directions, is easy to take just a fraction of the picture

"why having lights out world? just use a torch lmao" ...

ofc adding these settings wont feel like a real hard mode and some settings will be more annoying than fun but a real hard mode will take so long that klei might not want to add it while adding settings is easier as far as i know. If we can set spiders to tons why we cant have more damage receive if the setting for damage or change other stats? the more freedom the better

28 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

This kind of lame "analysis" can go in both directions, is easy to take just a fraction of the picture

Firstly, I never stated that my post is some kind of analysis. It's just first thoughts when I heard these suggestions. This is a forum, not a scientific journal where you analyze the matter from different perspectives.

I just don't like the prospect of a hard mode with only numbers tweaks. And that's the main suggestion I see for it. I'm afraid that if Klei actually decides to make the hard mode, they would just tweak the numbers and call it a day because it's what most players suggested. 

8 minutes ago, maxwell_winters said:

Firstly, I never stated that my post is some kind of analysis. It's just first thoughts when I heard these suggestions. This is a forum, not a scientific journal where you analyze the matter from different perspectives.

was just the word i found. For that the quotes, english isnt my first languange (obv as you can read xD)

9 minutes ago, maxwell_winters said:

I just don't like the prospect of a hard mode with only numbers tweaks. And that's the main suggestion I see for it. I'm afraid that if Klei actually decides to make the hard mode, they would just tweak the numbers and call it a day because it's what most players suggested. 

adding "harder" settings doesnt means that there cant be a true hard mode, as i said adding settings isnt hard neither takes a lot of time, is ""simply"" changing few numbers in one file and do the art and buttoms

actually, when it comes to adding harder content, people usually suggest new weather, enemies, etc instead of numbers. These days adding number changes is discussed because of the new settings not because people want it to be a hard mode

16 hours ago, maxwell_winters said:

snip

You'd be surprised how people would just breeze through the game even at these difficulty settings.

The extra food/management/damage is what some people want to simply be slightly more engaged in the game.

I think all of these more damage from X item can easily be avoidable and won't change the gameplay much for any experienced players, it would just make them be more careful. None of these are hard to manage, we just often choose to tank some freezing/hunger/charlie etc damage because it's often negligible, gameplay would be the same just at a slower pace imo. 

It's pretty hard to make the game 'hard' without core gameplay changes, I really doubt this would achieve much. 

23 hours ago, maxwell_winters said:

you could also say that adding new difficult content also achieves the same thing. In the uncompromising mod, they do add unique challenges like trees burning for way less time in winter, or insanity monsters being much stronger. Do these additions make the game more interesting? Well not really since instead of burning trees you just spam campfires, and for insanity monsters you just get sanity foods.

Having a reverse option for easy mode might be boring for a lot of players, but adding new difficult content will usually be just as bad. I think it would be good to add difficulty options for damage taken, because right now it would be the easiest and most simple thing for klei to implement, which makes it the most reasonable thing to ask for.

21 hours ago, BeeClops said:

It's pretty hard to make the game 'hard' without core gameplay changes, I really doubt this would achieve much. 

You'd be surprised. We can't know until we test it.

Having a setting that amplifies all mistakes would make for crisper playthroughs.

15 hours ago, NoodlemanNed said:

I think it would be good to add difficulty options for damage taken, because right now it would be the easiest and most simple thing for klei to implement, which makes it the most reasonable thing to ask for.

Well they added a damage component for it in latest update, so we can test it out in the beta and onwards.

I still think it is missing the hunger drain "More" value to have a complete difficulty test package, but that requires a new implementation as that setting doesn't exist.

And even adding another "Insane" +70% (or +100%) setting for the above would be fine for experienced folks that always have a food surplus and rarely take hits.

At the end of the day these are customization tools that are nice to have for people that got bored of megabasing.

4 hours ago, GodIess said:

UM is some kind of joke for you?

I love uncomp, but that's a mod, it's not part of the official game, and not as many people play it because of that.

Everything that is available in the base game see a lot of play, hence why every little thing is important.

1 hour ago, loopuleasa said:

I love uncomp, but that's a mod, it's not part of the official game, and not as many people play it because of that.

Everything that is available in the base game see a lot of play, hence why every little thing is important.

old players complain about the difficulty. Who have been using their favorite modifications for a long time and I think this will not be an exception if you need more hardcore

2 hours ago, GodIess said:

old players complain about the difficulty. Who have been using their favorite modifications for a long time and I think this will not be an exception if you need more hardcore

Sorry, I haven't understood you well. You wish to say that old players have been using mods for a long time, and it will not be an exception to what exactly?

Hard mode should disable the map.. I would easily get lost in the wilderness/at sea if the map wasn’t guiding me the whole way.

Ive used the map to: Avoid smashing into upcoming sea stacks, find things I’ve lost that have map icons, locate pearls island, Lunar Island, Water Logged Biome, Moon Quay Island, view where resources I need to collect (like Gold Ore) are located.

And often times without ever actually finding these things because the map reveals areas nearby within a radius that I Hadn’t explored.

Without the Map I would truly feel lost in the wilderness or out at sea without any guidance. 

It would also be awesome if enemy attacks could “spin” the players direction.

DANG IT JOEW LET THOSE SHARKS ROTATE MY WORLD!! :lol:

what if the hardmode was to make drop rates lower as well as raising damage multipliers. If spiders only dropped something half the time, or if pig houses no longer dropped pig skin, or if only werepigs dropped pig skin, etc. I tried a world in lights out... but I think there should be special settings for lights out, since many things rely on daylight, such as pigs, butterflies and normal bees, and many mobs sleep through the night or are always awake, like spiders. this means that players are unable to build beeboxes or plant flowers without mods/commands. If they don't decide to change the behaviors of creatures for lights out, it would be nice if they added unique features, like mushroom trees on the surface, or some lights out only options. Since lights out seems to be the hardmode, but it needs more to it

Archived