Banana Bushes couldve used a downside.

I think the way banana bushes currently are might be too good. Pre-nanabush, farming was pretty much the only practical way to get 33 sanity dishes and now all the work that goes into farming has been replaced by picking bushes. It invalidates RWYS. 

It feels too easy to the point where i now place limits on myself when it comes to banana bushes to keep things interesting. Like how many times per season i harvest them or how many in total ill plant for picking purposes. 

Heres some possible downsides i can think of off the top of my head to make bananas/banana shakes feel more earned. 

• Longer regrow time: they should regrow at a rate somewhat comparable to juicy berries. Theyre so fast now.
  • Special fertilization: make it so only Growth Formula can fertilize them. Maybe increase # of harvests per fertlization a lil to compensate. 
  • Mob spawner: a similar nuisance to gobblers spawning from berrybushes. Could be a spider somehow cuz of the urban legend that spiders lay eggs in the bottom tips of bananas. 
  • Seasonal restriction: i think the reason why they might grow year round currently is so players dont get stuck as wonkey for an entire season. But the year round productivity of b-bushes is still kinda bonkers. Growth could be slowed down considerably instead of completely halted in its off-season if leaving players as wonkey is a concern. 
  • Specific growing condition: make them require extra layer of maintenance like Nettles in hamlet require sprinkler irrigation to grow. Idk what it could be specifically 
  • Tending: make it require tending somehow. Not tending could either stop growth or just slow it down. 

• Restrictions on Banana Shakes: no inedible, no meat. 

—— 

GF as fertilizer combined with a slightly longer growing time and a season restriction sounds the best to me in terms of changes that r relatively simple. 

I think it would be fitting for the bushes to not grow in winter at all, very slow in autumn/spring, and normal grow speed in summer, considering they are tropical.

Banana shakes shouldn't take meat items I agree too.

Besides I don't think bushes need to be nerfed that heavy. You have to aimlessly sail around till you find the island, fight the monkes (except if you go there in winter), then wait for a while for portal to spawn a good amount of bushes. If you have moongleams then you are sort of in late game already, and there are way more source of sanity open for you (cactus, jelly salad, ice cream, crop food...)

30 minutes ago, Spino43 said:

If you have moongleams then you are sort of in late game already, and there are way more source of sanity open for you (cactus, jelly salad, ice cream, crop food...)

The more banana bushes u have the better banana shakes become compared to every other sanity dish though, not the opposite. They blow ice cream, cacti and crop dishes completely out of the water. 

The only other dish that scales similarly over time is jelly salad and it has a much stricter recipe, MUCH longer cooking time and much faster spoilage than b-shakes for 17 more sanity. And bulbs arent active in winter and require a special set up if u dont want to be bothered by the eyes and the meat also spoils on the vine. 

And in my experience bulbs are much slower to amass too. In my current world i came back from my first trip from moon quay (no gleams) with like 15-17 bushes, at that time i only had maybe 4 bulbs. 

banana bushes and banana shakes r way above every other source of sanity food. The moderate one-time challenge of acquiring them doesnt balance it out imo. 

Banana Shake is just a busted recipe, especially playing as Wickerbottom. You can farm all the ingredients just by reading Horticulture over and over (you can use twigs, stone fruit, doesn't matter). The only cost is 33 sanity per read, as books regenerate now. So you're able to bundle stacks and stacks of banana shakes, providing infinite fuel for all the books you could possibly want to read.

I especially like how they gave it a 10 second cooking time and 15 day spoilage time, because it wasn't quite strong enough yet, ya know?

I'd just delete the recipe to begin with. But I still think the remaining two banana recipes are too strong now. Banana pops work the same as banana shake for sanity, except you need to collect a few stacks of ice in advance and they spoil faster. Banana daiquiri isn't as broken, but it's still broken in my view. You're taking ice and twigs (basically junk), and now endlessly farmable bananas, and making a superfood that heals every stat and lasts for 15 days. Comparable recipes require farming multiple crops (creamy puree, salsa fresca, vegetable stinger) or give 27 less healing (fancy spiralled tubers). I say comparable, but requiring a single banana that just grows back versus multiple crops that need replanting is not a contest.

Sanity shouldn't be that easy or cheap to recover. Even the best methods, like cooked cactus, taffy, jelly salad and ice cream have downsides.

2 hours ago, EighteenXVIII said:

So you're able to bundle stacks and stacks of banana shakes, providing infinite fuel for all the books you could possibly want to read.

Yeah i made a stack or so of shakes aided by horticulture the first time i got my hands on the bushes but immediately got bored of it. It felt so unsatisfying and less fun compared to farming fresca or creamy puree.

And afterwards i realized u dont even have to force grow them, they regrow after only 2.5 days which is so crazy to me. Before the previous round of bananas lose the slightest amount of freshness in ur fridge the next harvest is already grown.

Cave banana trees take 4 days to regrow! Why the bushes were made this good i genuinely dont understand.

2 hours ago, EighteenXVIII said:

I'd just delete the recipe to begin with. But I still think the remaining two banana recipes are too strong now.

Banana pop’s triple stat coverage is at least understandable since its from a time when bananas only came from the cave trees or deadly splumonkeys. And it only has a 3 day spoilage time. And it cannot contain any meat.

But the other two r genuinely so baffling in every aspect. they dont seem like real dst recipes. 

The only restriction daiquiri has is twigs lol cuz u’ll get banana pop that way. Both daiquiri and the shake can be made with two meat as fillers… :lol: both last for a whopping 15 days and take either 10 or 20 seconds to cook… 

all this makes bananas feel like a modded thing to me now 

Archived