Opinions on boss availability?

Boss availability????  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like bosses not being available 24/7? (20 day cooldowns or season locked bosses)

• Bosses not being accessible at all times is amazing
    • No opinion
    • I think bosses should be able to be fought 24/7

The title is self explanatory. Do you like things such as cooldowns on boss respawn or season-locked bosses? I finished a terraria playthrough recently, and it made me wonder what would happen if terraria boss summoning functioned like in dst and vise versa. I’m curious to see what your guys opinions on this are.

I personally wish that bosses were more accessible. I think having to wait 20 days to refight a boss is boring and doesn’t make much sense, and having to wait even longer for seasonal bosses is even more annoying.

20 day bosses are eh, but I wish things like bearger were somehow spawnable first autumn (without making autumn longer) and if there was a way to get cactus flower outside of summer or remove it from pearls quest so that you aren't just stuck on the CC quest for 4 hours doing nothing

I'm not against Bosses being able to be fought at any time, honestly, but I do think the timer makes for a cute sense of "realism".
Being able to spam a flare and get a TON of Deerclops/eyeballs in one sitting is fun but also absolutely immersion breaking for me.

I really did like how in DS, there was only a chance for giants to show up. Was it fun for getting boss loot? Not at all.
Did it feel just a bit more realistic? Of course. I liked feeling trapped in a giant world, a world so large that little ol' me may just happen to not cross paths with a giant during my explorations. It was nice.

The respawn time also gives a sense of a living world to me, reproduction and all that dirty jazz. You get the picture.
Personally I'd love a middle ground, I'm willing to sacrifice some gameplay for a more immersive world but I know for a dead fact other people do not share this mindset. I know a lot of people who are more loot/stat orientated. 
Having a middle ground sounds difficult but is ultimately something I'd love. 

14 minutes ago, -Variant said:

Personally I'd love a middle ground, I'm willing to sacrifice some gameplay for a more immersive world but I know for a dead fact other people do not share this mindset. I know a lot of people who are more loot/stat orientated. 
Having a middle ground sounds difficult but is ultimately something I'd love. 

Bearger roaming around in first autumn somewhere around in the deciduous biome or something as a totally optional boss would be really cool, and i'd like it that i wouldn't have to wait an entire year just to see him. I also think it'd be good for noobs (who have some kiting skill) since his loot would be more useful to them for the first winter. That kind of middle ground is something I'd like to see.

I dont think game progression should be balanced about people wanting to rush non vital loot. Who needs a cc crown before summer? i respect speed runners, is just that i dont think it should affect that much the game. Also, rushing and speed running are made for the challenge, i see as a more interesting run changing world settings (like starting in spring or summer) to bypass that limitations at the same time that the player needs to adapt to new conditions rather than repeating the same easy and common route of starting in autumn and finishing the run before winter

neither i think every boss should be locked behind mechanics or gear, having a pool of bosses to be rushed is fun and more when the loot really helps the run (thing that isnt share by CC..) like rushing twins, BQ or FW. Other games like valheim or v raising feels lineal and not so "sandboxy" because of how the boss makes you want to have enough armor and damage like in old lineal turn based rpgs.

DST has a sweet middle ground with bosses that can be rushed at day 1 and bosses that needs certain conditions

22 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I dont think game progression should be balanced about people wanting to rush non vital loot. Who needs a cc crown before summer?

Me.
The difference between a good time lock and this sorry sad excuse for one is that there is no content in between any of it. It's literally you breezing through and having fun with ruins the archives and the lunar event, sailing and finding the lunar island, doing pearls quest until...
waiting...
waiting...
waiting...
Boom now you can continue after a couple hours of nothingness. This isn't about balancing around speedrunning. It's about how this time lock makes no sense in the first place and how horribly it's implemented. Why would you let them do 95% of the content surrounding the three alters and then making them wait a couple hours for a single thing to spawn so you can finish the final 5%. It's not "speedrunning" to want to experience content in a nice way without a big immersion break and a nice linear gameplay.

5 minutes ago, Dextops said:

Me.
The difference between a good time lock and this sorry sad excuse for one is that there is no content in between any of it. It's literally you breezing through and having fun with ruins the archives and the lunar event, sailing and finding the lunar island, doing pearls quest until...
waiting...
waiting...
waiting...
Boom now you can continue after a couple hours of nothingness. This isn't about balancing around speedrunning. It's about how this time lock makes no sense in the first place and how horribly it's implemented. Why would you let them do 95% of the content surrounding the three alters and then making them wait a couple hours for a single thing to spawn so you can finish the final 5%. It's not "speedrunning" to want to experience content in a nice way without a big immersion break and a nice linear gameplay.

you can do many useful things before you can get cacti flowes to get just a vanity item or you can change world settings if you wanna rush it instead of expecting to rush it in the easiest season

you have many ways to get wood faster before you can abuse bearger

you can do many things before new moon just to get an armor that isnt needed with 90% and 95% armor

is not waiting when the game has that many content unless you only want to rush that specific boss and abandon the world, in that case, as i said, there are world settings which, as i said, makes the run more interesting than hammering and shoveling everything in the easiest season for the 472848th time

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

you can do many useful things before you can get cacti flowes to get just a vanity item or you can change world settings if you wanna rush it instead of expecting to rush it in the easiest season

you have many ways to get wood faster before you can abuse bearger

you can do many things before new moon just to get an armor that isnt needed with 90% and 95% armor

is not waiting when the game has that many content unless you only want to rush that specific boss and abandon the world, in that case, as i said, there are world settings which, as i said, makes the run more interesting than hammering and shoveling everything in the easiest season for the 472848th time

Who said anything about rushing it in the easiest season???? my main point was that it ruins the entire flow of the quest and would be attained late enough for anyone who's trying to rush it. The only people who'd i believe are able to entirely rush it in a single season are people who've practiced it constantly. Balance shouldn't be based around rushers but vice versa should also apply. You shouldn't butcher content for the sake of screwing over rushers. Ruins loot is a lot better than CC loot and it's not time locked at all, why shouldn't we time lock that too? It gives really good armour and you shouldn't be able to rush it in the easiest season, you can do a lot in the meantime while you wait.

So I once set my world Gen settings to shortest seasons (about 6 game days per season) and bosses to Respawn often: What ended up happening was the bosses spawned so much that after killing them a few times I eventually grew bored of and just completely ignored their arrival.

This is the same situation if bosses would Respawn 24/7.. you will eventually grow bored of them- once you obtain their loot, unless you just like fighting them.. there’s really no point to bother with them anymore.

This is of course assuming your good enough at the game to pay attention to the durability on their drops and to repair the Eyebrella/Vest/Eye Mask/Shield before they break.

Otherwise: What even is the point? Anyone who has ever played an RPG (which DST is NOT) can tell you that people farm bosses not for their “loot” but rather the “Exp” they get from killing them to level up their character and unlock new perks Aka- Gameplay mechanics in a less fancy word.

However.. those same people who farm bosses for EXP can also tell you that once they obtain their desired EXP/Unlock- they Ignore the boss they were grinding and they move on to tackle whatever part of the game that required them to have that EXP or Unlocked skill.

The point? They too grow bored and move on to a new Adventure.. 

To put that into DST terms: Imagine if say for example you needed Scalemail armor from fighting Dragonfly to create protective fire resistant gear to go to and explore an active volcanic biome on a distant island where the enemies all had fire damage attacks.

You’d need to fight Dragonfly & create the Armor every time you wanted to venture to this island.

Otherwise: Seriously… someone please explain to me the entire freaking point of continuing to fight these bosses besides:

A: You enjoy the fight.

B: You need to grind them repeatedly for EXP.

or C: You need their Gear or Quest to advance further into the game to a new exciting land/level/adventure.

38 minutes ago, Dextops said:

Who said anything about rushing it in the easiest season???? my main point was that it ruins the entire flow of the quest and would be attained late enough for anyone who's trying to rush it. The only people who'd i believe are able to entirely rush it in a single season are people who've practiced it constantly. Balance shouldn't be based around rushers but vice versa should also apply. You shouldn't butcher content for the sake of screwing over rushers. Ruins loot is a lot better than CC loot and it's not time locked at all, why shouldn't we time lock that too? It gives really good armour and you shouldn't be able to rush it in the easiest season, you can do a lot in the meantime while you wait.

didnt said that content should locked for the sake of being locked or to disturb rushers

is true that CC's quest feels like a lame way to give some importance to summer. People asked for a reason to experience summer and more content atached to that season but they made this weird decision

I think the 20 day cooldown on bosses is fine, the cactus flowers on the other hand... can be tedious. I don't mind waiting because, as many have said, there are tons of things to do while you wait, however, if you intent to rush CC it can be annoying.

When I rush CC in pubs, by the time I'm ready to fight CK its almost summer, so I only need to wait a few days. (because if im doing a CC rush I might aswell kill other bosses while I wait)

A possible solution has been discussed, adding them to ocean chests, pearl quest would still be completed in at least 2 trips (because you need the blueprint from her). This way you can kill two birds with one stone and change the treasure loot... I don't need 20 anchors, masts and steering wheels.

Besides, ruins materials are useless to me if im at the ocean, I'd remove the chances of green/yellow/orange gems and change them to a lower chance for other ruins equipment besides suits and pick/axes.

For me the only boss that is rather annoying to wait for to fight is CC, don't get me wrong, I love the moonstorm event, but after doing it once, it gets tedious, specially when you consider that his only drop is the crown, which you only need 1, and the shards are useless with permanent full moons.

Archived