Give the end is nigh the ability to turn trees into treeguards

Rather simple, every lightening bolt that hits a tree has a % of turning it into a tree guard. 

A good combination between the pyro book and the end is nigh (or risk burning your closely planted trees).

Wicker doesn't have any tree cutting abilities to quickly spawn tree guards and looking underground for gnomes is going to take a massive toll on her sanity.

This takes her abilities and allows her to pay for them with sanity (which she would have to do anyways if looking for gnomes), and there is still some RNG involved but it's under her rules and promotes synergy with an otherwise useless book.

I'd also say a nightmarish thunderstorm bringing to life giant tree monsters amidst a raging inferno is pretty apocalyptic (and red gems give life, so it's pretty thematic).

41 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

I'd also say a nightmarish thunderstorm bringing to life giant tree monsters amidst a raging inferno is pretty apocalyptic

Would literally be so badass :lol: during a full moon too with the rain falling and helpless woodie subjects running around as geese.. 

genuinely really like this idea. Frankenstein vibes. Totally makes sense and would be useful too if the chance to awaken a tree guard was high enough.

Trying to think what else the lightning could animate… 

Omg what if it could also target and revive PLAYER GHOSTS?! 

Red gems give life like u mentioned AND lightning plays a part in touch stone revival too! 

This could be really neat i think! imagine reviving several ghosts with one cast :love-struck:

.. not very apocalyptic though :lol:

If Klei ever adds anything like Hamlets world that starts out peaceful then becomes aggressive over the course of the game, I would love to see The End is Nigh being able to speedrun us to that Armageddon.

It would probably be hard to pull off, but like how Pog have their cute mildly annoying stage then later they become terrifying.. yeah that.

Or as Wagstaff would say- “Excellent I wonder if this will help me speed up the end of the world!”

17 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I mean she could use pigs to help her chop trees to spawn tree guards those porky fiends are useful for more than just food...

Yes there's that, but that does have some dowsides.

My experience is that if I have planted 100 trees together I'll usually get a tree guard. This does require you to get the necessary food for the pigs, as well as plan out the necessary day time and if you don't get a tree fuard you have plant about 100 all over again (not to mention looking for and gathering enough pigs). Also, every time the set up fails you have to wait for a new batch of trees to grow.

This method is Wicker exclusive and technically more expensive (a red gem vs meat).  The lightning is still random so it could hit space between trees and be wasted. Paired with some fire prevention you could read the end is nigh, put out any fires and immediately try again at the tree guard gacha simulator.

A single the end is nigh can spawn up to 80 lightning. The biggest difference is that when a pig/player chops down a tree you permanently begin to lower the number of trees that can transform. This wouldn't do that, so you always get the full number of applicable trees every time.

If each lightning bolt has a 1% chance that would make it good early game but normal tree cutting would still be best end game.

Not sure how one would go about increasing the price though. I think if it's 1% the price is ok since no one would want to waste the full 5 uses so it's more like 64 lightning. Plus, pigs are easier to spam (just takes longer set up and re-set up since the trees have to regrow).

I wanted to add an expensive method to get treeguards vs the slightly longer RNG method of finding the grotto (Sometimes I just enter a sinkhole and boom there's the grotto lol. Really, it's more of a back up plan/insurance).

I actually agree with this one. It isn't some complete overhaul of the book, doesn't change it into another combat book amidst all the others, doesn't do anything weird, and doesn't let you control the lightning, keeping "the end is nigh" the uncontrollable apocalyptic event that it is. It adds a new and unique functionality which synergizes well with the new bookcase requirement. 

Actually sounds great. Keeps the books main theme but adds what would really be seen as like, a neat little world interaction for anyone who finds out about it by chance. Plus that little addition towards helping her meet bookcase demands.

Frankly giving TEIN some mob-specific interactions in general sounds super cool and fun. Like make it magic lightning that can sometimes have unique effects on certain items or mobs that you might not know about unless you start zapping. Trees into treeguards makes a lot of sense, but if theres others that could fit i would honestly love to see the book get others too.

You know, if a bunch of lightning strikes went off hitting the ground nearby.. it would probably awaken sleeping giants so yes this TEIN buff makes tons of sense- however.. they shouldn’t just instantly aggro onto players because that would make Wickerbottom even more of a griefing troll than she already will be, so they should awaken in a friendly/helpful state (same as naturally roaming Treeguards later into the game) but you can also opt to attack them for Living Logs.

Although.. with a character as powerful as Wickerbottom is, pretty sure she could just turn a stack of regular logs into living logs using her Magic/Books.

Sure it might take away from Wormwoods ability a bit- but that’s why Wormwood shouldn’t Suck and Klei should add some living Hamlet Plant life for him to interact with.

Also- If we go by the theroy that a lot of loud lightning strikes set off multiple times in an area can “Awaken” sleeping giants, this would also probably apply to Spider Queens.

1 hour ago, maxwell_winters said:

If Klei adds this, it will be Wormwood's funeral. 

Yeah- now say that again.. that’s not really saying much for Wormwood as a character.

I liked playing as Wormwood in the Hamlet DLC because there was various things for Wormwood to interact with such as hostile plant life that wouldn’t attack him, or bramble walls that when any other character interacted with: they would take damage, but for wormwood they would coil away letting him bypass.

There are instances in DST where this could had been applied to Wormwood- for example the Water Logged Biome has spiders who are nesting in the Tall Trees, I don’t think it would be too unreasonable of a thing to ask that the gliding water spiders be neutral to Wormwood (who is also made of the same plant like substances they call home) it’s just one type of Spider who see’s him as their natural habitat.

This is one example where wormwood could be extended upon beyond good farmer/living logs giver.

The TL:DR- If Wicker could create living logs it’s not a problem with Wickerbottom, it’s a Problem with Wormwood being lackluster.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I liked playing as Wormwood in the Hamlet DLC because there was various things for Wormwood to interact with such as hostile plant life that wouldn’t attack him, or bramble walls that when any other character interacted with: they would take damage, but for wormwood they would coil away letting him bypass.

He lost many of his perks sadly, he was immune to brambles, immune to hayfever, was passive to agressive plants, which in Hamlet are really prominent, his bramble husk was incredible against the ladybugs on humid season that turns exploring into a hellish experience, none of that exist on Together, he even had a sprinkler that made is planting ability stronger! And of course, his ability lost some value after RWYS too...
I'm still hoping for more plant additions to the game, this boy deserves his former glory.

5 hours ago, xhyom said:

this boy deserves his former glory

I think Wormwood rn is in the best spot he's ever been. Single player Wormwood was weird because he pretty much is just ""easy"" mode for Hamlet, I think rwys changes were great and exactly what Wormwood needed

Archived