Wickerbottom: Having a Book for Every Situation

Overall I really like the Wicker rework so far. Not as many changes as I expected, but increasing her downsides and just giving her more books makes me look forward to the rework landing. 

I do main Wickerbottom and have played her for 90% of my time playing DST and original Don't Starve. She's definitely my favorite character. 

I just have some comments on my opinions on some of the books. It seems like the theme for Wickerbottom is that she has a book for every situation, and that she likes to control and/or use the Constant to survive. 

These books are fine and I think don't require any changes: 

• Birds of the World
  • Sleepytime Stories
  • Applied Silviculture
  • On Tentacles
  • The Angler's Survival Guide
  • Lux Aeterna and Redux
  • Practicing rain Rituals
  • The Everything Encyclopedia

I think all of the above books are useful in some way, fun, and decently balanced. 

The below would benefit from only slight adjustments: 

• Horticulture Abridged - I think it would be better for the crafting cost to be 4 seeds, and 4 manure, and for it to mature 9 plants instead of 10. Most farm plots are built with 36 crops, so a slightly cheaper cost that still matches up with how players set up farm plots would be nicer. 
  • Horticulture, Expanded - This should apply to 18 plants instead of 15. Again most farm plots have 36 crops, and 15 doesn't fit into that cleanly. It just creates annoyance. If that's too much, maybe make it effect 12 crops, but it's 5 uses instead of 3, and only costs 33 Sanity. Either way with a full book you could grow a whole field. 
  • Apicultural Notes - This one is really good. The bees should not aggro onto you if you disconnect and reconnect. And they shouldn't be hostile towards other players either in that case. Also you can't open presents when they're around. 
  • Overcoming Arachnophobia - As this book exists now, it's useless. However it does do something unique among Survivors in the game, which is creating a slow field. I think perhaps future content or just some very obscure farm could make this useful in the future. Even then though, it is too short and small to be probably ever be useful. I think buffing the duration to 1 day (8 minutes), and doubling the size would leave it as a unique tool that would probably find a use some day. 

Heavier Adjustments: 

• Pyrokinetics Explained - Please make the range bigger. It is quite small as it is now. And the Fiery Pen isn't too useful. It is identical to a Fire Staff, which is also not very useful. At least allowing the Fire Staff to light Fire pits would be a step. I do think it wouldn't be ridiculous if the Fire Staff/Fiery Pen did some amount of flat damage on hit. Idk, just something to make them more useful. Without it I don't know the value in this book. 
  • Tempering Temperatures - This book requires a thermal stone to craft it, yet is not as effective as a thermal stone. With no Insulation on and an orange thermal stone, you'll last over 3 minutes in Winter before Freezing. With no insulation and just this book, you'll last just 30 seconds before Freezing again. It also doesn't synergize with thermal stone use since it doesn't change the temperature of a thermal stone. Plus it's only 3 uses and costs -50 Sanity to use. That's pretty limiting if you intend on replacing or supplementing your thermal stone for temperature needs. I think it should have 5 uses and a sanity cost of 33 to make it more appealing. That would at least make it useable if you're stacking heavy amounts of Insulation. But maybe also preventing a temperature change on Wicker, or gifting her an insulation buff (which is similar) for a couple minutes would allow this to be quite useful. I think it would be great for Wicker to rely on this book instead of using a thermal stone, but it's not quite there yet. 
  • Lunar Grimoire - This book is great and I'm very excited to use it. I just think the crafting cost should be more expensive for balance and thematic reasons. Even the iridescent gem wouldn't be too bad an idea.. Also a way to interact with a New Moon or Full Moon would be interesting. Maybe it should just advance to you whichever would naturally happen next. If you spam the book it would alternate between New Moon and Full Moon. Having control on fighting the Shadow Pieces would be cool too. And potentially anything added in the future that interacts with the New Moon. Allowing the Moon to go back to it's natural cycle as well would also be preferable. 

Big Changes: 

• The End is Nigh: This is by far the least useful book. Charging Volt Goats and Lightning Rods are its only use. Some way to aim it, or at least making where the lightning falls would be interesting. If the lightning struck in a line in front of Wickerbottom that could potentially be useful. Or if they appeared in a circle around her to do an area of effect attack around her. It feels like Wickerbottom is supposed to have a book for every situation, but she doesn't really have one when she's in the middle of combat. On tentacles and Apiculturual Notes are more akin to precombat setup. And Sleepytime Stories is mostly used in pretty specific combat situations. Having a book that just attacks is a niche that is missing. Whether it was more concentrated be better used against bosses, or applied in a circular area around her to give her mob fighting capabilities, I think it would be very interesting. 
  • More on using books in combat: I'm kind of surprised there is not a book with a supportive combat effect for Wickerbottom and her allies. (like Healing, Damage Buffs, Damage Resistance Buffs, or Speed) It would fit her supportive nature. If there were a supportive combat niche she could have with a book, especially if it is not already done by another character, that would be great. 

Again I really do love playing Wickerbottom. I do want to use her books heavily when I play as her, so giving more books for more situations is great. I really think improving Tempering Temperatures and the End is Nigh! could have really interesting and fun gameplay effects for her, letting her use books in more situations where other characters would rather use something else. 

I agree with you on all points.

For the spider book, I was thinking either larger area/longer lasting, or have it de-aggro all spiders on screen and send them home.

For the lunar grimoire, I've seen an idea floating around for using items from each moon biome in the game (caves, lunar island, and monkey island), which I like more than the iridescent gem idea, but both are good options.

How do you feel about having the grumble bee book require royal jelly rather than stingers and honey? It's a pretty effective boss slayer and very easy to craft, which makes me think it should be more expensive.

I love the idea of The End is Nigh being a guaranteed circle of lightning centered on Wickerbottom. At the very least, I would like to have her be the lowest priority target for the lightning strikes. Starting large forest fires and hitting massed mobs would make it feel so much better, but right now half of the strikes are often wasted on hurting yourself. Maybe have lightning strikes prioritize targets by size? Lightning rods > Bosses > trees > medium sized mobs (chess pieces, hounds, werepigs, bunnies) > players > small mobs (rabbits, monkeys)

1 hour ago, Noaa said:

More on using books in combat: I'm kind of surprised there is not a book with a supportive combat effect for Wickerbottom and her allies. (like Healing, Damage Buffs, Damage Resistance Buffs, or Speed) It would fit her supportive nature. If there were a supportive combat niche she could have with a book, especially if it is not already done by another character, that would be great. 

I don't mind this (her not having combat-related books), to be honest. That is already filling Wigrid's niche of being a battle bard (admittedly that's quite a rare sight in of itself, she's mostly a battle helm dispenser in pubs)

1 hour ago, Noaa said:

More on using books in combat: I'm kind of surprised there is not a book with a supportive combat effect for Wickerbottom and her allies. (like Healing, Damage Buffs, Damage Resistance Buffs, or Speed) It would fit her supportive nature. If there were a supportive combat niche she could have with a book, especially if it is not already done by another character, that would be great. 

This would be stepping on Wigfrid's, Warly's, and Wortox's toes as they are combat support characters as well.

Adding to your post, i think wickerbottom is already good (as i stated in other posts), i will try to not mind about some nerfs that she will probably get (because some people are asking in the forum for no reason ;-;), so, if the rework comes without a nerf in the lunar grimoire and practicing rain rituals, i would be very satisfied, not gonna lie, i can live without these two books, but they are very good, you can kill shadow pieces every 10 days if you use the lunar grimoire correctly, and you can help your wx friend to survive spring (people remember that you can grief but forget that if you are not a griefer, wx would love wickers in their team)

3 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

This would be stepping on Wigfrid's, Warly's, and Wortox's toes as they are combat support characters as well.

No.. just no- in a game where combat plays a significant role and is often times completely unavoidable: having more characters that can perform combat roles is better.

For Wickerbottom that should have meant giving her a Casters Circle so she can aim and control when and where and what her books spells are effecting (ex: Aiming On Tentacles or End is Nigh at specific targets) this one change ALONE would allow her to have more of a combat role.

As far as that (apparently useless) Spider Book: It should do for Spider Queens what planting a bunch of Pinecones near an angry treeguard does- Pacify them into going back into a sleeping status (or in this case reverting back to tier 1 den)

for Lunar book: it should require various moon ingredients (Lunar moth wings, Moonrock, Moon Glass, Crustashine)

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

No.. just no- in a game where combat plays a significant role and is often times completely unavoidable: having more characters that can perform combat roles is better.

For Wickerbottom that should have meant giving her a Casters Circle so she can aim and control when and where and what her books spells are effecting (ex: Aiming On Tentacles or End is Nigh at specific targets) this one change ALONE would allow her to have more of a combat role.

As far as that (apparently useless) Spider Book: It should do for Spider Queens what planting a bunch of Pinecones near an angry treeguard does- Pacify them into going back into a sleeping status (or in this case reverting back to tier 1 den)

for Lunar book: it should require various moon ingredients (Lunar moth wings, Moonrock, Moon Glass, Crustashine)

This applies to more than combat what's the point of having character perks if everyone does the same thing rather than something different.

Though I believe the costs are only this cheap for the sole purpose of playtesting, can't say for certain what goes in the mind of the devs, hopefully the costs will be somewhat worth compared to their given powers by launch.

1 hour ago, AugyBear said:

For the lunar grimoire, I've seen an idea floating around for using items from each moon biome in the game (caves, lunar island, and monkey island), which I like more than the iridescent gem idea, but both are good options.

Iridescent gem does use items from the caves as you need both deconstruction and star caller staves to get it. If you add moon shard to the recipe, it's gonna be fine. And I don't really think moon quay items would thematically fit with the recipe, since they came from another part of The Constant and have nothing to do with lunar magic. 

1 hour ago, maxwell_winters said:

Iridescent gem does use items from the caves as you need both deconstruction and star caller staves to get it. If you add moon shard to the recipe, it's gonna be fine. And I don't really think moon quay items would thematically fit with the recipe, since they came from another part of The Constant and have nothing to do with lunar magic. 

Are the Crustashines not Lunar in nature? I figured with the name "Moon Quay" and the way they look like weird light up alien bugs, it was meant to be part of the growing Lunar Lore(tm)

4 hours ago, AugyBear said:

I agree with you on all points.

For the spider book, I was thinking either larger area/longer lasting, or have it de-aggro all spiders on screen and send them home.

How do you feel about having the grumble bee book require royal jelly rather than stingers and honey? It's a pretty effective boss slayer and very easy to craft, which makes me think it should be more expensive.

I love the idea of The End is Nigh being a guaranteed circle of lightning centered on Wickerbottom. At the very least, I would like to have her be the lowest priority target for the lightning strikes. Starting large forest fires and hitting massed mobs would make it feel so much better, but right now half of the strikes are often wasted on hurting yourself. Maybe have lightning strikes prioritize targets by size? Lightning rods > Bosses > trees > medium sized mobs (chess pieces, hounds, werepigs, bunnies) > players > small mobs (rabbits, monkeys)

I think locking Apicultural Notes behind killing Bee Queen is a great idea. It would feel very flavorful and make a lot of sense. Royal Jelly though is very valuable in creating Jellybeans, and you can never have enough Jelly Beans. Apricultural Notes is really only valuable if you can create a huge bee army, so just 1 book by itself wouldn't really be that powerful. I think Royal Jelly would just be too expensive. I think incorporating Bundling Wrap as an ingredient would be better if you wanted to lock it behind Bee Queen. Bundling Wrap is not that expensive, but it does require you to kill Bee Queen. 

And yeah I would love any way to make use of End is Night! by giving it any predictability. Whether it's a target priority system, or just a defined area on screen or around Wicker. If they introduced a way to aim it. Any of those would give more possibilities to the book than what it has now. 

4 hours ago, Kemthazul said:

I don't mind this (her not having combat-related books), to be honest. That is already filling Wigrid's niche of being a battle bard (admittedly that's quite a rare sight in of itself, she's mostly a battle helm dispenser in pubs)

I do agree that there are some characters who already have a combat support niche. I wouldn't want Wicker to step over them. That's why if she did get a book to support allies in combat hopefully it would be unique and not something anyone else can do. But it is true that giving her support combat abilities would be expanding her niche. Maybe too far since she's already so good at resource gathering, and setting up farms. It's not necessary for her to also be good at more spontaneous combat stuff. Klei only seems to let her books come in as ways of setting up against specific bosses. 

7 hours ago, Noaa said:

Overall I really like the Wicker rework so far. Not as many changes as I expected, but increasing her downsides and just giving her more books makes me look forward to the rework landing. 

I do main Wickerbottom and have played her for 90% of my time playing DST and original Don't Starve. She's definitely my favorite character. 

I just have some comments on my opinions on some of the books. It seems like the theme for Wickerbottom is that she has a book for every situation, and that she likes to control and/or use the Constant to survive. 

These books are fine and I think don't require any changes: 

• Birds of the World
  • Sleepytime Stories
  • Applied Silviculture
  • On Tentacles
  • The Angler's Survival Guide
  • Lux Aeterna and Redux
  • Practicing rain Rituals
  • The Everything Encyclopedia

I think all of the above books are useful in some way, fun, and decently balanced. 

The below would benefit from only slight adjustments: 

• Horticulture Abridged - I think it would be better for the crafting cost to be 4 seeds, and 4 manure, and for it to mature 9 plants instead of 10. Most farm plots are built with 36 crops, so a slightly cheaper cost that still matches up with how players set up farm plots would be nicer. 
  • Horticulture, Expanded - This should apply to 18 plants instead of 15. Again most farm plots have 36 crops, and 15 doesn't fit into that cleanly. It just creates annoyance. If that's too much, maybe make it effect 12 crops, but it's 5 uses instead of 3, and only costs 33 Sanity. Either way with a full book you could grow a whole field. 
  • Apicultural Notes - This one is really good. The bees should not aggro onto you if you disconnect and reconnect. And they shouldn't be hostile towards other players either in that case. Also you can't open presents when they're around. 
  • Overcoming Arachnophobia - As this book exists now, it's useless. However it does do something unique among Survivors in the game, which is creating a slow field. I think perhaps future content or just some very obscure farm could make this useful in the future. Even then though, it is too short and small to be probably ever be useful. I think buffing the duration to 1 day (8 minutes), and doubling the size would leave it as a unique tool that would probably find a use some day. 

Heavier Adjustments: 

• Pyrokinetics Explained - Please make the range bigger. It is quite small as it is now. And the Fiery Pen isn't too useful. It is identical to a Fire Staff, which is also not very useful. At least allowing the Fire Staff to light Fire pits would be a step. I do think it wouldn't be ridiculous if the Fire Staff/Fiery Pen did some amount of flat damage on hit. Idk, just something to make them more useful. Without it I don't know the value in this book. 
  • Tempering Temperatures - This book requires a thermal stone to craft it, yet is not as effective as a thermal stone. With no Insulation on and an orange thermal stone, you'll last over 3 minutes in Winter before Freezing. With no insulation and just this book, you'll last just 30 seconds before Freezing again. It also doesn't synergize with thermal stone use since it doesn't change the temperature of a thermal stone. Plus it's only 3 uses and costs -50 Sanity to use. That's pretty limiting if you intend on replacing or supplementing your thermal stone for temperature needs. I think it should have 5 uses and a sanity cost of 33 to make it more appealing. That would at least make it useable if you're stacking heavy amounts of Insulation. But maybe also preventing a temperature change on Wicker, or gifting her an insulation buff (which is similar) for a couple minutes would allow this to be quite useful. I think it would be great for Wicker to rely on this book instead of using a thermal stone, but it's not quite there yet. 
  • Lunar Grimoire - This book is great and I'm very excited to use it. I just think the crafting cost should be more expensive for balance and thematic reasons. Even the iridescent gem wouldn't be too bad an idea.. Also a way to interact with a New Moon or Full Moon would be interesting. Maybe it should just advance to you whichever would naturally happen next. If you spam the book it would alternate between New Moon and Full Moon. Having control on fighting the Shadow Pieces would be cool too. And potentially anything added in the future that interacts with the New Moon. Allowing the Moon to go back to it's natural cycle as well would also be preferable. 

Big Changes: 

• The End is Nigh: This is by far the least useful book. Charging Volt Goats and Lightning Rods are its only use. Some way to aim it, or at least making where the lightning falls would be interesting. If the lightning struck in a line in front of Wickerbottom that could potentially be useful. Or if they appeared in a circle around her to do an area of effect attack around her. It feels like Wickerbottom is supposed to have a book for every situation, but she doesn't really have one when she's in the middle of combat. On tentacles and Apiculturual Notes are more akin to precombat setup. And Sleepytime Stories is mostly used in pretty specific combat situations. Having a book that just attacks is a niche that is missing. Whether it was more concentrated be better used against bosses, or applied in a circular area around her to give her mob fighting capabilities, I think it would be very interesting. 
  • More on using books in combat: I'm kind of surprised there is not a book with a supportive combat effect for Wickerbottom and her allies. (like Healing, Damage Buffs, Damage Resistance Buffs, or Speed) It would fit her supportive nature. If there were a supportive combat niche she could have with a book, especially if it is not already done by another character, that would be great. 

Again I really do love playing Wickerbottom. I do want to use her books heavily when I play as her, so giving more books for more situations is great. I really think improving Tempering Temperatures and the End is Nigh! could have really interesting and fun gameplay effects for her, letting her use books in more situations where other characters would rather use something else. 

Don't forget temperate temperatures book also dries off players and items in inventory instantly - this book basically removes to need to create fires for the purpose of heat. If you're wearing insulation you will have few minutes before start freezing/overheating again 

2 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

Don't forget temperate temperatures book also dries off players and items in inventory instantly - this book basically removes to need to create fires for the purpose of heat. If you're wearing insulation you will have few minutes before start freezing/overheating again 

I basically just replied to you in another thread: 

"The thermal stone protects you longer from overheating or freezing again. The book costs 50 sanity to use, and only has 3 uses before running out. The Thermal Stone has 8 uses before it runs out of durability. The book has more expensive crafting materials. The book also does not heat up or cool down the thermal stone so they don't synergize well together. The thermal stone is cheaper, more effective, and has more uses. I just don't think it's realistic to walk around using it as your temperature control is ever worth the hassle over using a thermal stone. The only way a thermal stone is worse is that you have to wait a while to recharge your thermal stone when it runs out of heat. But it's far too lopsided in favor of using the thermal stone."

I will say the wetness removal is unique and quite useful. Just the temperature aspect is very weak. And even with the wetness removal with the sanity cost and only 3 uses of durability, it's hard to make use of throughout a long trek away from base. 

7 minutes ago, Noaa said:

I basically just replied to you in another thread: 

"The thermal stone protects you longer from overheating or freezing again. The book costs 50 sanity to use, and only has 3 uses before running out. The Thermal Stone has 8 uses before it runs out of durability. The book has more expensive crafting materials. The book also does not heat up or cool down the thermal stone so they don't synergize well together. The thermal stone is cheaper, more effective, and has more uses. I just don't think it's realistic to walk around using it as your temperature control is ever worth the hassle over using a thermal stone. The only way a thermal stone is worse is that you have to wait a while to recharge your thermal stone when it runs out of heat. But it's far too lopsided in favor of using the thermal stone."

I will say the wetness removal is unique and quite useful. Just the temperature aspect is very weak. And even with the wetness removal with the sanity cost and only 3 uses of durability, it's hard to make use of throughout a long trek away from base. 

Thermal stone has 8 uses but can heat/cool one person at a time. Book can do that to all players within range so this justifies the cost 

It does not have to synergise with thermal stone - it already does wonders when you're wearing insulation 

7 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

Thermal stone has 8 uses but can heat/cool one person at a time. Book can do that to all players within range so this justifies the cost 

It does not have to synergise with thermal stone - it already does wonders when you're wearing insulation 

I did do personal testing in the beta comparing Tempering Temperatures. 

With no insulation Tempering Temperatures only saves you from freezing for 30 seconds. With an orange thermal stone you'll last for a bit over 3 minutes. I tested the difference with a Puffy Vest and a Tam O Shanter, items I commonly use in Winter, and the thermal stone always outpaced the book. And since they book doesn't affect the temperature of the thermal stone it doesn't really make sense to use them together. 

It is cool that the book does apply to multiple players. But you mostly worry about temperature when you're outside of the base, away from your firepits. And on faraway treks players are usually spaced out in my experience. 

I just think the book is pretty weak, and too expensive in terms of cost to actually be worth bothering with. 

49 minutes ago, Noaa said:

I did do personal testing in the beta comparing Tempering Temperatures. 

With no insulation Tempering Temperatures only saves you from freezing for 30 seconds. With an orange thermal stone you'll last for a bit over 3 minutes. I tested the difference with a Puffy Vest and a Tam O Shanter, items I commonly use in Winter, and the thermal stone always outpaced the book. And since they book doesn't affect the temperature of the thermal stone it doesn't really make sense to use them together. 

It is cool that the book does apply to multiple players. But you mostly worry about temperature when you're outside of the base, away from your firepits. And on faraway treks players are usually spaced out in my experience. 

I just think the book is pretty weak, and too expensive in terms of cost to actually be worth bothering with. 

With insulation you gonna have about 5 minutes before you start freezing thats on par with warly dish 

For the reference here is some of my findings about temperature 20220717_105347.thumb.jpg.0380ac1d71ac37ad063728b7f60e754c.jpg

18 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

With insulation you gonna have about 5 minutes before you start freezing thats on par with warly dish 

For the reference here is some of my findings about temperature 20220717_105347.thumb.jpg.0380ac1d71ac37ad063728b7f60e754c.jpg

These were the numbers I did. 

Starting temp of 35 degrees since that's what the new book would set you at. With Thermal stone usually you'll have a fire nearby so your temperature would probably start at higher than 35 but hey for consistency I had it start counting down from 35 degrees. I just did this in game and recorded it manually. I did each round twice. 

image.thumb.png.893c1f1be28f243892597f8fed1ab5cf.png

Again,  just see the Thermal Stone always outdoing the book. They both take up an inventory slot. I would almost never be correct in giving that slot to the book instead of the thermal stone. Especially if I'm not using a backpack. 

20 minutes ago, Noaa said:

Thermal Stone always outdoing the book

Its not wonder since book places you at 35 and stone can start with temperatures further from the freezing/overheating threshold 

And thermal stone and clothes does not stack so in reality one should be using either or, clothing only comes into consideration when the stone is gray 

I think what are you trying to say is using thermal stone vs using book, not using thermal vs cloth after reading the book. In thst case yes, and it is also true for other examples of materials used for crafting book. Fish book has three uses and needs fishing rod to craft. Fishing rod has infinite duration - so using fishing rod outperforms book in the amount of fish it can yield

8 hours ago, Parusoid said:

Its not wonder since book places you at 35 and stone can start with temperatures further from the freezing/overheating threshold 

And thermal stone and clothes does not stack so in reality one should be using either or, clothing only comes into consideration when the stone is gray 

I think what are you trying to say is using thermal stone vs using book, not using thermal vs cloth after reading the book. In thst case yes, and it is also true for other examples of materials used for crafting book. Fish book has three uses and needs fishing rod to craft. Fishing rod has infinite duration - so using fishing rod outperforms book in the amount of fish it can yield

But using insulation and the thermal stone together stacks well. When  you combine them you can go longer without needing to reheat. They don't interact with each other, but don't interfere with each other either. You can benefit from both when using them together. They are also both useable without each other. You can decide to use only high amounts of insulation. Only a thermal stone. You can go with both. I think each option has its pros and cons. And when I play I switch between all 3 regularly.

I guess in some ways you're correct that it's not technically book vs thermal stone, but book vs fire. Both are ways to reset your temperature. The book is instant, and sets you to 35. Using a fire requires you to stand still for like 30 seconds, and allows you to go well above or below 35. I think what pushes the fire over the edge is that it also effects the thermal stone. Resource wise I would say the book is more expensive to make than 3 fires. Especially if it's winter and you have the luxury of just burning a nearby tree. Using the book also drains your sanity by 50. You can also only hold 3 uses per slot, instead 10 uses over 2 slots, and 1 use precrafted. 

I think if Tempering Temperatures affected the thermal stone too, had 5 uses instead of 3, and only drained 33 sanity, it would be worth using over starting fires constantly when you're trekking outside the base. Alternatively, instead of interacting with the thermal stone, it could just temporarily prevent your temperature from changing for a few minutes, which allows you to use it in place of a thermal stone. 

I just fail to see a use case where the book is worth the resources, inventory slot, and 50 sanity use, in regards to its temperature control. 

2 hours ago, Parusoid said:

@Noaa i just tested that temperature book also makes you waterproof until you log out or change shard, is it still weak?

I mean that seems to clearly be a bug that should be fixed. Hopefully the bug is fixed and the book is balanced in a more appropriate way. 

13 minutes ago, Noaa said:

When  you combine them you can go longer without needing to reheat.

insulation only kicks in after stone has gone grey, so while its blue/orange and you are wearing insulation you are basically wasting durability of the clothing 

2 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

insulation only kicks in after stone has gone grey, so while its blue/orange and you are wearing insulation you are basically wasting durability of the clothing 

That is true. That doesn't change the fact that using them together lets you last longer without reheeating. You can still use them together and it's quite effective. 

Also note that Tempering Temperature's effects are applied to all nearby players. Drying all nearby players and their inventories is fantastic.

The sanity usage is -33, not -50.

For the temperature effect, 3 uses just doesn't feel enough to keep it on hand. And this is the kind of book you want to keep on hand.

But I believe this is the only instantaneous winter warming effect in the game.

12 hours ago, Friendly Grass said:

Also note that Tempering Temperature's effects are applied to all nearby players. Drying all nearby players and their inventories is fantastic.

The sanity usage is -33, not -50.

For the temperature effect, 3 uses just doesn't feel enough to keep it on hand. And this is the kind of book you want to keep on hand.

But I believe this is the only instantaneous winter warming effect in the game.

I do think the fact that it's in an aoe is interesting. I'm actually not sure whether the temperature part is also in an aoe affecting other players too, or just the rain. 

Sorry about getting the sanity cost wrong. That's my fault. 

I do agree that 3 uses wouldn't be enough for particularly long treks in Winter and Summer away from the base. 

On 7/17/2022 at 1:58 AM, Noaa said:

Lunar Grimoire - This book is great and I'm very excited to use it. I just think the crafting cost should be more expensive

Infused Moonrock or Moongleams - this way wicker gets acces to moon control the same time other players do and it is in par with other books in terms of being able to craft many many copies

Iridescent Gem is too expensive

Archived