• Disagree
    • Too Good
    • Not Enough
  4. 4. The End is Nigh!

• Agree
    • Disagree
    • Too Good
    • Not Enough

These suggestions are in addition to the current effects.

Tempering Temperatures
Everyone affected gets their thermal stone heated up or cooled down (winter and summer, respectively). It would make so it is effective regardless if you choose to wear clothes or just a thermal stone.

The Everything Encyclopedia
Everyone affected learns every recipe (except character exclusive and boss recipes of course) that the caster knows. I suggest this because I don't see myself using this book that much, only to learn the lantern, ham bat and football helmet recipes early on. Would be pretty useful to players that just joined, helping them to catch up with everyone else recipe-wise.

Lux Aeterna Redux
I only have cave related suggestions:
1. Lightning can strike within its area, allowing the use of telelocation in the caves. Granted you would have to open two holes to be able to teleport from one hole to the other within a 3 days limit.
2. Makes so full moons can affect its area, turning pigs into werepigs, etc.
3. During earthquakes, debris cannot fall within its area.

The End is Nigh!
The same suggestion I gave in @Lord Cafe's post.

Spoiler

Make so lightnings created by the book spawn a damaging AoE (a little smaller than a tile?), that deals 14? eletrical damage, double damage when the targets are soaked. The AoE does not apply fire nor burns the loot of killed mobs, the direct lightning strike still functions as normal. The AoE still happens when the lightning hits a lightning rod.

I believe this would enable the creation of farms, a new way to fight bosses (albeit gimmicky), and it would also have synergy with the web book.

I like the ideas in this post. If I had a few nitpicks...

12 minutes ago, Pruinae said:

Lux Aeterna Redux
1. Lightning can strike within its area, allowing the use of telelocation in the caves. Granted you would have to open two holes to be able to teleport from one hole to the other within a 3 days limit.

I think these suggestions should be applicable to all sinkhole lights in general, not just Wickerbottom's. Though to be fair, the actual hole from which the light is coming from is pretty small, so I don't see why earthquake debris would stop falling in the area.

13 minutes ago, Pruinae said:

Make so lightnings created by the book spawn a damaging AoE (a little smaller than a tile?), that deals 14? eletrical damage, double damage when the targets are soaked. The AoE does not apply fire nor burns the loot of killed mobs, the direct lightning strike still functions as normal. The AoE still happens when the lightning hits a lightning rod.

I think 14 damage, even if doubled to 28, is too low, and with such a small AoE it'd be hard to hit anything. Birds would only die to the book if the world is wet, and pretty much every mob in the game would be tickled at best. I think something closer to 50 damage would make the book really good at softening if not wiping out various mobs like bees, spiders, frogs, etc. especially if they're wet. Giving the lightning strikes a similar radius to gunpowder or the napsack would also give the random lightning strikes a good chance of hitting a given nearby mob.

31 minutes ago, Pruinae said:

Lux Aeterna Redux

This is badass. Would be a ton of fun. 

13 minutes ago, Electroely said:

I think these suggestions should be applicable to all sinkhole lights in general, not just Wickerbottom's. Though to be fair, the actual hole from which the light is coming from is pretty small, so I don't see why earthquake debris would stop falling in the area.

True, I think it's only fair lol. I see the debris part just as a nice little something, it would be useful during depth worms and toadstool though.

13 minutes ago, Electroely said:

I think 14 damage, even if doubled to 28, is too low, and with such a small AoE it'd be hard to hit anything. Birds would only die to the book if the world is wet, and pretty much every mob in the game would be tickled at best. I think something closer to 50 damage would make the book really good at softening if not wiping out various mobs like bees, spiders, frogs, etc. especially if they're wet. Giving the lightning strikes a similar radius to gunpowder or the napsack would also give the random lightning strikes a good chance of hitting a given nearby mob.

I suggested it the way that I did because I envisioned it being able to work with a lightning rod, so you could syphon all the lightnings to one spot to deal damage in the AoE. But yeah, maybe it's a bit too small. I think that if the damage was raised to 50 maybe it shouldn't be able to work with lightning rods. Dealing with damage numbers is scary :S

On 7/15/2022 at 4:04 PM, Pruinae said:

Tempering Temperatures
Everyone affected gets their thermal stone heated up or cooled down (winter and summer, respectively). It would make so it is effective regardless if you choose to wear clothes or just a thermal stone.

I want to highlight this because as it stands, Tempering Temperatures is kind of too weak to use. It's worse than a Thermal Stone. Having it Heat up or Cool Down Thermal Stones would help make it actually useable in Winter and Summer. 

20 minutes ago, Noaa said:

I want to highlight this because as it stands, Tempering Temperatures is kind of too weak to use. It's worse than a Thermal Stone. Having it Heat up or Cool Down Thermal Stones would help make it actually useable in Winter and Summer. 

While I was testing in a world with cheats on, I thought it prevented the player's temperature from changing for a few mintutes, then I realised I had godmode on. After a little thought, I think it would be better if the book prevented the player's temperature from changing. Maybe that would be kinda broke, maybe it would make Warly's special foods less impactful, but even with those inconsideration, It would be a pretty great change, and could have uses with bosses like klaus or CK.

On 7/15/2022 at 9:04 PM, Pruinae said:

The Everything Encyclopedia
Everyone affected learns every recipe (except character exclusive and boss recipes of course) that the caster knows. I suggest this because I don't see myself using this book that much, only to learn the lantern, ham bat and football helmet recipes early on. Would be pretty useful to players that just joined, helping them to catch up with everyone else recipe-wise.

Yeah, I agree with this as an additional function for the book. It should still retain it's ability to let Wicker players have access to magic without any magic stations. As I see it now, this book is pretty great. Wicker can get dark-swords, pan-flutes, LGAs very quick.

56 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

While I was testing in a world with cheats on, I thought it prevented the player's temperature from changing for a few mintutes, then I realised I had godmode on. After a little thought, I think it would be better if the book prevented the player's temperature from changing. Maybe that would be kinda broke, maybe it would make Warly's special foods less impactful, but even with those inconsideration, It would be a pretty great change, and could have uses with bosses like klaus or CK.

100% agree. If Tempering Temperatures prevented the player's temperature from changing for say, 4 minutes, that would mean reliable temperature control at the cost of 100 66 sanity and needing to go back to a bookshelf every day (or more days depending how many inventory slots you're willing to give up). I'd say that would make the book actually useful and still balanced.

30 minutes ago, Arcwell said:

100% agree. If Tempering Temperatures prevented the player's temperature from changing for say, 4 minutes, that would mean reliable temperature control at the cost of 100 sanity and needing to go back to a bookshelf every day (or more days depending how many inventory slots you're willing to give up). I'd say that would make the book actually useful and still balanced.

If you use a book and have a beefalo hat/summer flower shirt it you defianately gonna have at least 4 minutes to start freezing / overheating again. And a lot of people seem to ignore the fact that book also dries off players and items in inventory instantly 

9 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

If you use a book and have a beefalo hat/summer flower shirt it you defianately gonna have at least 4 minutes to start freezing / overheating again. And a lot of people seem to ignore the fact that book also dries off players and items in inventory instantly 

The thermal stone protects you longer from overheating or freezing again. The book costs 50 sanity to use, and only has 3 uses before running out. The Thermal Stone has 8 uses before it runs out of durability. The book has more expensive crafting materials. The book also does not heat up or cool down the thermal stone so they don't synergize well together. The thermal stone is cheaper, more effective, and has more uses. I just don't think it's realistic to walk around using it as your temperature control is ever worth the hassle over using a thermal stone. The only way a thermal stone is worse is that you have to wait a while to recharge your thermal stone when it runs out of heat. But it's far too lopsided in favor of using the thermal stone. 

1 minute ago, Parusoid said:

If you use a book and have a beefalo hat/summer flower shirt it you defianately gonna have at least 4 minutes to start freezing / overheating again.

Yup, lasted 5:15 in my testing. My issue with that is it requires your head slot to perform slightly better than a thermal stone (while still costing sanity). Head slot is doubly important on Wickerbottom for sanity management (either through tam o' shanter, enlightened crown, or bone helm). Other characters with temperature management (Warly and Wurt) don't have this issue on top of having much stronger effects (Wurt's lasts 4 days and can be swapped out, Warly's can be stacked up to 40 per slot and bundled)

1 minute ago, Parusoid said:

And a lot of people seem to ignore the fact that book also dries off players and items in inventory instantly 

I didn't know that! :O Buuut the rain book seems like a better solution to this problem in particular.

9 minutes ago, Arcwell said:

Yup, lasted 5:15 in my testing. My issue with that is it requires your head slot to perform slightly better than a thermal stone (while still costing sanity). Head slot is doubly important on Wickerbottom for sanity management (either through tam o' shanter, enlightened crown, or bone helm). Other characters with temperature management (Warly and Wurt) don't have this issue on top of having much stronger effects (Wurt's lasts 4 days and can be swapped out, Warly's can be stacked up to 40 per slot and bundled)

I didn't know that! :O Buuut the rain book seems like a better solution to this problem in particular.

There are also powerful insulation items for chest slot 

10 hours ago, Noaa said:

10 hours ago, hhh2 said:

Either the thermal stone change, or the preventing temperature from changing would need to be added for me to have interest in using it. I don't see myself using the current book at all when considering the other options we have :/

10 hours ago, hhh2 said:

Yeah, I agree with this as an additional function for the book. It should still retain it's ability to let Wicker players have access to magic without any magic stations. As I see it now, this book is pretty great. Wicker can get dark-swords, pan-flutes, LGAs very quick.

Oh! Didn't realize she had access to magic too, I guess I just glanced at the category, saw a bunch of locks and assumed it only allowed you to see what was craftable in the future. Testing it now, it seems she can craft up to prestihatitator level with the book, and if she stands nearby a prestihatitator while under the book's effects she has access to shadow manipulator crafts. Being able to unlock dark swords without having to use Living Logs in the SM is pretty good, I guess it allows Wanda to get an Alarming Clock pretty early too.

Even then, I think the suggestion is still warranted since it gives the book a use in the mid/late game.

9 hours ago, Pruinae said:

it seems she can craft up to prestihatitator level

Repeated uses of the book give access to more and more crafting recipes. Using the book three times grants teir two magic without any stations.

1 minute ago, hhh2 said:

Repeated uses of the book give access to more and more crafting recipes. Using the book three times grants teir two magic without any stations.

Just tried using the book 6 times in a row and nothing changed compared to the first cast. Are you sure??

Archived