My problems with caves

You already noticed name of this post so let's start.

Problem №1: Lack of content.Let's not deny it caves lack content in them, one of main reason why people even go in caves is it's only area that doesn't lack content:ruins, of course they do have some very epic loot and a lot of other things but on whole map ruins are like only 20% or less.Most other areas in caves usually just some big biomes filled with same things that are rarely even unique.Yes there are archives but new biom doesn't fix lack of content in others, we literally have like 4 bioms (Blue shroom forest, Red shroom forest, Green shroom forest, mixed shroom forest) that are just shroom trees(+some rocks and spiders in red shroom forest), whole stone biom dedicated only on lobsters and so on.

Problem №2: Optimization.Caves are extremely large and because of that can cause a lot of lag, there are a lot of bioms that are just "you like this new cave object?see me duplicating it 500 times", for example a lightbulb field or shroom forest.We also have multiple toadstool spawners for no reason at all.

Problem №3:Lack of bosses.In caves we have 3 bosses, Ancient Guardian (who actually became a boss only after this year's QoL), Ancient Fuelweaver and Toadstool.Even counting how cool are FW and AG (and how horrible is Toadstool) I think just a few more bosses, at least small one would be a great addition.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk don't forget to subscribe, hit a bell, follow, upvote and report me.

I love how the "new" lunar grotto looks and feels like. The problem is, there is no reason to go there for me anymore. Especially after you activate the archives, since there is a civil war going on.

Thats the big problem i have with caves atm. Lot of cool stuff, but most of them you can get in the overworld or you go to cave area "once" and never need to go back.

On 6/27/2022 at 10:39 PM, Empa505 said:

I love how the "new" lunar grotto looks and feels like. The problem is, there is no reason to go there for me anymore. Especially after you activate the archives, since there is a civil war going on.

Thats the big problem i have with caves atm. Lot of cool stuff, but most of them you can get in the overworld or you go to cave area "once" and never need to go back.

It would be cool if they added a moon equivalent of an ancient sudoscience station there for some new unique crafts. Making it more relevant for future trips

Well the devs are focusing on the ocean now which is much more barren and boring than the caves are, so I’d let them expand there.

After that if it was up to me yeah, I’d give another look at the caves and specially at the whole sealed portal thing in the archives.

But TBH I want a really cool and fun ocean first. The monkeys update seems to be a great step in the right direction for now.

2 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Well the devs are focusing on the ocean now which is much more barren and boring than the caves are, so I’d let them expand there.

After that if it was up to me yeah, I’d give another look at the caves and specially at the whole sealed portal thing in the archives.

But TBH I want a really cool and fun ocean first. The monkeys update seems to be a great step in the right direction for now.

true true

Spoiler

but on the other side ocean at least don't take whole new server

On 6/27/2022 at 8:18 PM, Eughstein said:

You already noticed name of this post so let's start.

Problem №1: Lack of content.Let's not deny it caves lack content in them, one of main reason why people even go in caves is it's only area that doesn't lack content:ruins, of course they do have some very epic loot and a lot of other things but on whole map ruins are like only 20% or less.Most other areas in caves usually just some big biomes filled with same things that are rarely even unique.Yes there are archives but new biom doesn't fix lack of content in others, we literally have like 4 bioms (Blue shroom forest, Red shroom forest, Green shroom forest, mixed shroom forest) that are just shroom trees(+some rocks and spiders in red shroom forest), whole stone biom dedicated only on lobsters and so on.

Problem №2: Optimization.Caves are extremely large and because of that can cause a lot of lag, there are a lot of bioms that are just "you like this new cave object?see me duplicating it 500 times", for example a lightbulb field or shroom forest.We also have multiple toadstool spawners for no reason at all.

Problem №3:Lack of bosses.In caves we have 3 bosses, Ancient Guardian (who actually became a boss only after this year's QoL), Ancient Fuelweaver and Toadstool.Even counting how cool are FW and AG (and how horrible is Toadstool) I think just a few more bosses, at least small one would be a great addition.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk don't forget to subscribe, hit a bell, follow, upvote and report me.

My computer can't run a caves world

Caves are obiously secondary to the main island right now. I hope for balancing it out and making it just as interesting as main island.

You could add

• creatures like mctusks who visit the spawn points only in summer.
  • some traders/npc like PK/Pearl
  • like you said, more bosses
  • etc...

I just want to have a reason to travel for example to the cave swamp. Or to explore the grass/twig corners of the map. Or to go to the bat-infested biome. Cave spiders could have some interesting new drops.

I like new content on the sea. I hope Klei will alternate between sea, cave, mainland/qol, sea, cave, mainland/qol,...

2 hours ago, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

Cave spiders could have some interesting new drops.

literally every time new spider getts added in dst i hope it will get new loot but every damn time it's just same as before,literally only 2 spiders in ds universe that drop something more than gland/silk/meat are sw poison spiders who drop this poison gland thing and shattered spiders that drop moon glass

3 hours ago, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

creatures like mctusks who visit the spawn points only in summer.

Why do even more to encourage people to go to the caves in summer? If a summer mactusk was added it should be on the surface. 

2 hours ago, Well-met said:

i want a cave swamp boss that's a mega purple octopus

those tentacles gotta come from somewhere

You have the Big Tentacles/Tentapillars in Caves, hinting at an even bigger organism at their end, under Cave shard. In fact such "mega purple octopus" eldritch horror could be a new Cave boss - as per OP's desire - summoned in a peculiar way.

Archived