The Insane Physics of ONI (Erect Water) :D

YouTube recommended me a video of a fellow releasing an absurd amount of water into the wild, causing a water pillar to sprout out and defy all laws of physics, real or imaginary :D Entertaining sight.

This was really good. It is funny how the over-pressurized tiles just get forced up instead of spreading out evenly.

I think what must be going on the is the game "wants" the pressure to be a certain amount based on the column depth of liquid (not actually the mass of liquid on top, just the number of tiles of that liquid), and anything in excess of this ideal pressure just gets pushed up. That results in all excess liquid getting forced to the top of the map where it is squished there, held up by the very small amount of liquid allowed to "rain" downwards (which might be as low as 100 kg/s).

And space exposure only removes gas/liquid at a constant and not very high rate. This can be observed like when dumping a massive amount of water into magma and hoping for space to eat the steam... it does but can take a long time.

2 hours ago, YOLO KNIGHT said:

I have to think some of the number fluxing is the engine wrapping around or just plain struggling to calculate that much mass. Mostly I'm impressed you did it organically :mrgreen:

Not me, consider dropping a comment under the video on YT to let the fella know you're impressed by his shenanigans! :)

With the limited physics in the game present, this is totally expected. 

In real this compressed chamber would be impossible, because you cant compress fluids (at leats not until certain parameters are set, and they do not apply to normal life)

So, its a compressed medium, and as such it always wants to decompress. And of course it will do this in every direction possible. Even upwards "contradicting" gravity, because the pressure is the greater force.

2 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

With the limited physics in the game present, this is totally expected. 

In real this compressed chamber would be impossible, because you cant compress fluids (at leats not until certain parameters are set, and they do not apply to normal life)

So, its a compressed medium, and as such it always wants to decompress. And of course it will do this in every direction possible. Even upwards "contradicting" gravity, because the pressure is the greater force.

I think the point is that this mass did happen in his colony.  Part of this is a mass multiplication bug.  He compressed the water in his water asteroid and it caused some kind of error that caused the mass of water to skyrocket.

On 6/18/2022 at 6:47 PM, SharraShimada said:

I totally get what you meant, but just to be very precise: liquids are incompressible, but gasses and supercritical fluids (which are also fluids) can be compressed. Additionally, liquids can contain dissolved gasses, and thus when under pressure, those gasses do compress, and the liquid phase does shrink a bit in volume.

Sorry for the nerd out  <3

9 hours ago, Pentalis said:

Sorry for the nerd out  <3

well, if we are nerding out. Most liquids are compressible, it is just very hard compared to flowing them. The stiffness to compress a liquid is called the bulk modulus, which for water is about 2GPa (similar to most polymers, 1% of that of steel). So in a way, water is 100 times more compressible than steel.

Archived