PSA: Access control your forges

Most people seem to know they can use light to increase the speed of operation of heavy power using machinery like the metal refinery and the glass forge. This provides the 15% "lit workspace" buff.

Even better, put a door to lock-out all unskilled dupes. Each skill point in machinery gives +10%. Build a door, allow only the skilled operators through, and avoid an unskilled dupe draining all your power. Unskilled dupes can run on the hamster wheels.

I feel a little foolish for not realizing this sooner.

12 hours ago, SackMaggie said:

I used to this too, But handling supplying chores have to be done in some way.

I'm sure you know this, but for anyone who doesn't, if your supplier's Operate priority setting is lower than their Supply priority setting then they won't touch a use until they've finished delivering materials to every build order and machine they have access to.  That should keep them busy enough, and it should also give your dedicated operators a window to occupy the machine before a supplier gets the opportunity to do so.

15 hours ago, SackMaggie said:

I used to this too, But handling supplying chores have to be done in some way.
So If you don't mind a mod here's a link.

Perhaps a ladder above the refinery for supply access.  Suppliers don't need to be in the same position.

I wish I could have access control by skill.

43 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

Perhaps a ladder above the refinery for supply access.  Suppliers don't need to be in the same position.

I wish I could have access control by skill.

Click on the link provided by Sackmaggie and your wish shall be granted

1 hour ago, Jann5s said:

Click on the link provided by Sackmaggie and your wish shall be granted

As far as I can tell, this is on a per dupe basis, rather than a per skill basis.  I have to select every dupe who can do it on every device rather than saying a certain type of dupe can be selected (e.g. dupes with some flag I can set on them or dupes with a certain flag).  This makes it an N*M operation to change permissions.  I spend way too much time on controls like this, including doors.

My ideal would be that I have a list of groups I can add dupes to and have controls based on that.

6 hours ago, Jann5s said:

The moment you count your efforts in (fl)ops, you have earned the geek status

Yes, but this complexity hits you whether or not you know the terminology to describe it.  Scrolling down menus to set specific different permissions on every door is a major hassle.

18 hours ago, Zarquan said:

Yes, but this complexity hits you whether or not you know the terminology to describe it.  Scrolling down menus to set specific different permissions on every door is a major hassle.

And the lag whenever you clicked a door or a menu with dupe face too!

Archived