lakhnish    4834

I would say there are three issues I have with how the Oasis Lake spawns:

1. The Lake spawns at the edge of the biome way too often.
  2. If you get a Hound Fortress setpiece, it way too often spawns on top of the Oasis Lake, making it useless unless cleared out.
  3. Meteor Biomes like to spawn next to the Oasis as well.

For point 1, I want to say that maybe 50% of the time, the Oasis Lake spawns at the edge of the biome, typically where biomes connect to the Oasis desert.

Because the lake can spawn at such a spot, it means that anytime anyone tries to enter the biome from outside, there's a huge risk that smoldering will occur in the oasis since the effect is only active if the player is already inside the sandstorm, not when outside it. (Idk how it works with multiple ppl, say one in the biome, and one outside it).

This defeats the purpose of the Oasis Lake, since it's the only spot where you don't have to wear a Desert Goggles while also having smoldering protection.

Unlike this generation down below, you also won't always get rivers next to the entrance of the Oasis, where you can try to use some sort of combo of Lureplants + Above Average Tree Trunk to negate smoldering at the entrance of the biomes. 

Spoiler

20220514130004_1.thumb.jpg.f4f78a9f014ce2e1d17768f5d49896b4.jpg

For point 3, as you can see in the picture above, a Mini Meteor biome has decided that the perfect spot for it to spawn is next to the Oasis, meaning as the true range of the Meteors gets revealed overtime, it inevitably overlaps with the Oasis biome. I've had this happen countless times and it's rather annoying when it happens.

For point 2, if you get a hound fortress setpiece, it more often than not likes to spawn literally on top of the oasis lake, which means the lake won't even work during Summer unless you've cleared out the setpiece.

Spoiler

1274730142_badoasis.png.065b744d7e678cb4371d0b1affe20c48.png

Edited by lakhnish
  • Like 1

ShadowbirdRH    15

I wonder how possible it would be for the meteor biome to be set only until the Celestial Orb exists in the world, at which point the area in which meteors may fall follows the orb, thereby allowing players to move the meteor biome wherever they wish. The counterweight to this convenience being the increased danger when transporting it, especially over the ocean, or the potential to unknowingly bring devastation home in their pocket.

• Big Ups 1

Orchids    78

You're saying that as if Oasis located on edge is a bad thing, I am sometimes actively regenerating my world in order to get such world generation.

If anything - it shouldn't be removed entirely, instead I think it should just become more scarce.

Edited by Orchids
  • Like 1

zaptrap    120
3 hours ago, ShadowbirdRH said:

I wonder how possible it would be for the meteor biome to be set only until the Celestial Orb exists in the world, at which point the area in which meteors may fall follows the orb, thereby allowing players to move the meteor biome wherever they wish. The counterweight to this convenience being the increased danger when transporting it, especially over the ocean, or the potential to unknowingly bring devastation home in their pocket.

griefing potential

lakhnish    4834
10 hours ago, Orchids said:

If anything - it shouldn't be removed entirely, instead I think it should just become more scarce.

Never said about removing it in it's entirety; all I stated was issues I had with the Oasis Lake generation.

I leave the solutions to Klei if they choose to address this :>

• Like 1

twitchgabo    104
17 hours ago, Orchids said:

You're saying that as if Oasis located on edge is a bad thing, I am sometimes actively regenerating my world in order to get such world generation.

the problem is because sometimes the oasis is out of range of the sandstorm, which is the reason things don't start igniting during summer

• Like 1