Beefalo never de-aggroing

This is something that got left behind from YOTB but I think it’s worth giving. a look at.

When taming a beefalo or already have a fully tamed beefalo, if something attacks the beefalo while un mounted, you have to either kill what’s attacking your beefalo or if it’s something that can’t be killed fast enough, you have to watch your beefalo die. 

Owned beefalos that aggro onto something will not give up, and continue attacking it until they either win or die, they won’t let you re-mount and they won’t follow you if you move away. The only way to make them de-aggro currently is to quickly disconnect from the server, thus making the bell disconnect the beef with you. 

Isn’t this an unnecesary step?
I mean, I think it should either move away with you, or let you re-mount if you have enough obedience points left.

I get that there is still the ornery mechanic during taming that could cause it to aggro onto things and this is a con into beefalo taming itself, not sure what’s my take on that but I still think that if the beefalo is at least above 50% into the taming process it should give up and follow you.

Also as a side note, other players can still beat your owned and carried beefalo, making it lose all domestication, and being currently a really easy way of griefing. I think if another player attacks your beefalo while you are holding the bell,  it should not lose domestication points and basically count as an NPC.

Spoiler

Why not just make them untargetable?

Because a beefalo not yet fully domesticated and in heat may attack other players, so it could be used the other way around: carry beefalos in heat to attack players, and they would not be able to counter attack if targeting them is removed.

For a fully tamed one yes, targeting them could be entirely removed.

Thoughts or opinions? Do people still tame beefs at all?

4 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

it sucks. Remember that you can run away if is linked to a bell so the beefalo despawn before die

i would like being able to mount him instead of doing silly things like despawning them

But does it despawn when moving away? In my experience there is no speed enough for it to stop attacking and teleport with you before it dies. Also if another player is nearby it won’t teleport at all.

1 minute ago, ShadowDuelist said:

But does it despawn when moving away? In my experience there is no speed enough for it to stop attacking and teleport with you before it dies. Also if another player is nearby it won’t teleport at all.

it does but takes some distance. Against a giant they have no chance but agaisnt tentacles or other mobs with less damage than a giant they survive. They work like chester or abi pre rework, running was the way of saving them

is true that if there are players arround it wont despawn

Someone gave me a golden piece of advice after i complained after losing my beef. 

The answer to the trouble is telelocator staff. The beefalo will come back to you after being teleported away, unaggroed at anything so you can hop on and run, or just start running after teleporting and it will follow you until it catches up. Or you can teleport whatever is attacking it, provided it's not a tentacle.

It doesn't work in the caves tho, so i don't have the answer to that. 

Taming beefalo on public servers has always looked to me like a road to heartache and madness. I'd never dare.

And yes, being unable to pull your beefalo out of its kamikaze attempts against an angry beehive or something has always felt super crappy to me. It is way too much work to tame one to lose it all to a bee in spring straying a little farther than you expected it to.

1 minute ago, BezKa said:

Someone gave me a golden piece of advice after i complained after losing my beef. 

The answer to the trouble is telelocator staff. The beefalo will come back to you after being teleported away, unaggroed at anything so you can hop on and run, or just start running after teleporting and it will follow you until it catches up. Or you can teleport whatever is attacking it, provided it's not a tentacle.

It doesn't work in the caves tho, so i don't have the answer to that. 

That’s interesting! Can’t you just teleport your beef instead? I’d assume like Chester it will respawn a few seconds later, hopefully not aggroed

Just now, ShadowDuelist said:

Can’t you just teleport your beef instead

Yeah, that's what I was talking about, sorry if my phrasing made it unclear. The beefalo teleported away will obviously be unloaded, which makes it teleport back to you due to the bell immediately. Sometimes i do this to cause rain because it's funny seeing them run back to you from off screen :D

10 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Taming beefalo on public servers has always looked to me like a road to heartache and madness. I'd never dare.

Yea beefs are .. "annoying" in solo. 

I just can't imagine caring for them on pubs. That sounds like a complete nightmare.

Archived