How to make Liquid Hydrogen ?

Hello everyone :adoration:

I`m planning to relocate my solar panels to the top of the map, below them I want to build a similar size Liquid Oxygen room. If someone has got tips for me on how to make Liquid Hydrogen , that would be great :p :confused:

Any idea on how to get the Hydrogen beyond -200 Celsius is helpful.

Kind regards, babba

image.png.db4ec3b7f49c78eab187f62806f48fe0.pngimage.thumb.png.d33c99339887f5a0401860b5319faeb5.png

I`m looking for rather easy-to-build tips, in survival mode. My current best materials are Steel and Petroleum. Some way without things like flying doors and without other obscure "methods" :lol: Many thanks. It should look "real" and not "sandboxie". :afro:

well first off you to need make pipes, i think for upper is better as hydrogen is light gas.

second i think you to need make buffer for keep temp stable as it does have very small temp cap.

your oil lock will turn to solid soo you to need know that

i personally made hydrogen room sealed with vacuum for avoid any-kind temp come in from other recurses.

you to need super coolant i not see how its possible todo other way

Thanks @gabberworld If someone has a way to make fluid Hydrogen without using Super Coolant and a build which does not look like a total hack, that would be welcome. :p

I can seal the rooms off at the end, that`s ok :ghost: The fluid Oxygen room will be above, I`m currently constructing it.

image.thumb.png.52a45e9c15a604ec1675673bf497150f.png

Short of super coolant, the only option is to use the 10% of pipe capacity trick to get any liquid/gas to very cold temperatures.

The highest SHC liquid will be the best for a efficiency, which means Nuclear Waste if you play with Spaced Out, or Water if you don't (or don't have Nuclear Waste).

I found an example when I was trying to exploit the liquid to debris temperature bug:

Screenshot_2022-01-02_at_09.41.28.png

Screenshot_2022-01-02_at_09.41.41.png

Obviously, your goal is not to output ice debris, so you'll need to adapt it a bit, but basically, from right to left:

• a water source to fill the loop
  • a valve to limit to 1kg/s
  • a shut-off to inject 1kg packets into the loop
  • the excess loops back to the valve (it's always flowing so there are only 1kg packet to be injected into the loop)
  • a loop through the AT, where the bypass have the same length, so that packets can never merge even when the AT is bypassed

Many thanks @Fradow ...Guess I need to gather Fullerene and Super Coolant then. At least I can make LOX for the first time ever, that will be exciting :p LOX should help me to create some long range rockets :congratulatory:

*Rubbing hands and making funny noises* :lol:

Technically, using anything but supercoolant is a "hack" since it exploits some property of the game. My current setup is pump the contents of the electrolyser into the hydrogen storage and let the O2 freeze and then ship it to next door to the O2 storage, warm it up a little to reliquefy it while the H2 remains liquid. 

Also, don't make huge cooling loops because it becomes inefficient. I use a 9x9 chamber for liquefaction/storage which already has initial liquefaction issues if it isn't half full. 

Here is my current template design for a LOX/LH2 chiller for my astroplexes. It's probably not as efficient as the hard-core folks would make but I tend to design for self-regulation and ease of maintenance, with some safety features discovered via trial-and-error. It consists of a steam chamber in the middle, a turbine up top, and two tanks for the liquefied gases at the bottom. I use igneous insulated tiles for the hot walls and mafic rock (if available) for the cold ones. There are three aquatuner loops running super coolant but the automation gates ensure that only one chiller is active at any time, in order to conserve power. i.e.:

1) Run turbine coolant aquatuner if liquid temp > 25°C.
2) Run LOX aquatuner if liquid temp > -200°C AND #1 is NOT on.
3) Run LH2 aquatuner if liquid temp > -254°C AND NOT (#1 OR #2).

In the steady state, once you build up enough liquid mass at a cold temperature, you don't need much energy to stay going. Since only one 'tuner can run at a time you don't need more than one turbine in the long run. The doors to the tanks face away from the astroplex and are isolated from each other so that you don't accidentally get other gases in there, although if you do get CO2 in there it will freeze out and form dry ice chunks at the bottom. As the chiller runs it will often over-freeze the fluids to solids, especially solid hydrogen <-259°C, but those tend to melt once the liquid piles up to the second level of tempshift tiles and things can average out more easily. I've also added a protective blast barrier on the left because I tend to locate my hydrogen rocket pads right next to it. Once construction is complete I seal the steam chamber and set the doors on the tanks to be exit-only.

Inside each of the tanks there's a high-pressure gas outlet for the gas input, which gets closed when the tank is full. LOX is less dense than LH2 so that hydro sensor is set to only 400kg. I use a mini-pump on a memory toggle to pump out 1kg/sec to my rockets, which is slow but fast enough for my needs (3 cycles to fully fuel a hydrogen rocket), and prevents the liquid from phase changing in transit. You can see my LOX loop is still under construction out to the upper left; my LH2 loop hasn't started yet but will be similar and feed each pad from underneath. I can chain multiple rocket silos together on each loop; my main astroplex has 3 petroleum/LOX pads and two for LH2/LOX. Once all the rockets are full the element sensor will detect the cryofluid coming back to the tank and automatically turn off the pump. There's also a manual cutoff switch if you have an "oh crap" moment.

Oxygen is easy to come by but previously I've struggled to generate enough hydrogen. The LH2 tank is sized so that it could accept 16T of hydrogen from a space mining mission. But in the last couple of games I've discovered that with enough patience you can get Pips to seed a chamber with 3-4 wild critter traps in the cold space biome, and they can generate more H2 than you need.

Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 3.52.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 4.06.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 4.06.26 PM.png

@meekay Mine is similar to your build except the storage/cooling thaks are twice as big (because I found small ones to be insufficient). I would suggest integrating your hydrogen or oxygen cooling loop to your steam turbine room. That way it saves one aquatuner. The cooling the combined loop is more than sufficient to cool down the steam turbine even with purely O2 gas cooling to the point I end up with liquid O2 in the room at times. ^^;;; That is also using standard granite pipes, so you don't need the radiative pipes. dAlso, since you use supercoolant, 1 aquatuner can provide enough heat for 2 turbines, plus it makes it energy positive when it reaches steady state (850+850). If you want to make more energy, throw in a energy control station for MOAR POWER! UNLIMITED PAAAWAAAA!!

Archived