All my crap's burning in space, I don't understand the heat things :s

I don't understand the space cooling deal. I know vacuum doesn't transfer heat, because there's no gas to carry it. But I put metal tiles there with cold gas going behind them and they cooled just fine! But then the tempshift plates do not cool and neither do the utilities (I tried running pipes over the plates first (well, second, first I tried running them behind the machines which seemed like the most reasonable and obvious solution... silly me)). They keep burning up and breaking down, despite placing them right beside the metal tile :/ I don't understand why it doesn't work.

I tried Googling, but what I found just didn't seem right at all. Someone said you have to dunk your utilities in liquid (well, let them touch liquid). I sure hope it's not the only solution? I mean, it would incredibly limit any sort of vertical build. And it would look like a mess that should get mopped up, I do not want to have that in my base, what!

Is there a proper way to cool machines in a vacuum? Something that doesn't look like a caveman came and said "just pee on it!" but worthy of a, you know, dudes capable of building rockets? Am I missing something cool when it comes to heat transfer in space? Both my heart and mind are telling me yes. But what is it? :o

Thanks for any help. I know I could just go to YouTube and find ready-made builds, but I kinda want to avoid it. Half this game is the fun of coming up with my solutions to things, but I just can't do it when the game's rules escape my logic :(

whynot.png

1 hour ago, Ellilea said:

They keep burning up and breaking down, despite placing them right beside the metal tile :/ I don't understand why it doesn't work.

This is one of the gotchas of building in a vacuum. And you've stated what the game actually checks, they are besides the tile, but not in any kind of contact with the tile.

Someone said you have to dunk your utilities in liquid (well, let them touch liquid). I sure hope it's not the only solution? I mean, it would incredibly limit any sort of vertical build. And it would look like a mess that should get mopped up, I do not want to have that in my base, what!

It's the only "vanilla" solution and yes, we all have to get creative with vertical builds or generate a gas filled space that's protected with liquid locks, which pretty much takes us back to square one.

Something that doesn't look like a caveman came and said "just pee on it!"

Not pee, just polluted water :hopelessness: It will off gas and become nothing in space on its own.

I do not know if this mod still works but once upon a time it did present a "solution" to the traditional-moppy way of doing things https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1938747693

The pipes in metal work because that is a direct exchange. Solid tile to solid tile works for the same reason as does tempshift to solid tile.  

But anything else needs gas or liquid to exchange heat in space. This includes tempshift to tempshift and tempshift to building. It is not a lot, you basically just have to get over the lower limit, i.e. no heat exchange is material in a tile is at or below 1g. I usually cool stuff in space with 2g/s of water and drywall behind. Others have used gas in similar quantities.

A simple caveman solution is to just throw some waste Oxygen at the problem. Literally: build a vent nearby, a few drywall, and throw some oxygen from your SPOM in the general direction (and let it go away with nearby space exposure cells, deleting the heat).

You can use a valve to limit the oxygen if you don't want to use too much. Just a trickle is actually enough to absorb some of the heat when you build things out of Steel.

That's my preferred solution because it's very quick to setup and doesn't imply a big cooling loop, just a gas pipe and a vent.

The gas vent solution sounds far less gross than puddles everywhere, thanks for those :)

But it still weirds me out that I can cool tiles in a vacuum with piped coolant, but I can't cool tempshift plates (and whatever is stuck on them). Not a fan of that mechanic, it just doesn't feel right/logical :(

I might also just take a peek at the mod linked above. It's not even about difficulty, it's about feeling *right* :P

Thanks, mates.

10 hours ago, NewWorldDan said:

If you're lazy, there is a mod for this called "Thermal Interface Plate". I don't personally use it, but it's certainly more elegant than the alternatives.

*edit* I see that was mentioned up above.

You said it right, it's not laziness, it's E-L-E-G-A-N-C-E :9

And yes, I got that mod, the comment said it was broken and it has some weird string in the description, but other than that it seems functional. Here's to hoping it doesn't explode my savegame, lol.

Archived