The auto-generated colony name suggestion was Sewer. I decided to keep it, and I knew what I had to do (look closely):

sewer.thumb.png.81e00c32ad747c63ffd8088e20be5be8.png

Flatulent gives you 100g of Natural Gas for free every now and again. I will refer to these deliveries as "poots"; that is, 1 poot = 100g Natural Gas.

Natural Gas Generator consumes 0.9 poot/s and produces 800 W, which is works out to 888 W/poot. Ceiling Light consumes 10 W, meaning it can run for 88 seconds by way of just one poot. Gas Range consumes 1 poot/s and produces an amount of food proportional to the Cooking attribute of the Duplicant operating it.

Despite producing power, Natural Gas Generator also emits the full 90g/s as 3 parts Polluted Water (67.5g/s) to 1 part Carbon Dioxide (22.5g/s). Where the Polluted Water doesn't evaporate, it can be further refined into Water, then finally into both Oxygen and Hydrogen. Where it does evaporate, it can trivially be converted into clean Oxygen and a bit of Clay. In a sense, the Flatulent trait is indirectly emitting all three of power, life support and rocket fuel (albeit in small quantities).

When the Printing Pod is fully charged, reloading the save will re-roll the available printables. I don't care how many times I have to do this: everyone in my colony will be pooters. We will travel to the stars, breathing air and eating food.

Regrettably, harvesting the chemical utility of a poot fails the Super Sustainable achievement.

100g is one fart, but they don't fart that often. Average is 4g/s. That's 35W.

A gas pump takes 24W per fart (100g), assuming you're only pumping full 1kg packets.

The win is only 11W/duplicant.

Good luck to make it worth it.

But I must admit a full farters colony has some charms.

Relying entirely on poot power? Heavens no! Who would do that? I'm merely analyzing/glorifying its chemical properties. Most of my power so far has come from the hamster wheels: gotta keep those metabolisms active and healthy.

A watt is defined as one joule per second of energy transfer: the seconds figure is built in. I suppose writing it as J/s is more intuitive...

Wiki says the poot rate is 10s-40s, which I interpret to mean that as soon as a poot occurs, the next one will occur some uniformly distributed amount of time in the 10s-40s range. The average time here is 25s, which divides the 100g poot to get 4g/s, so that sounds about right. Per Duplicant.

42 minutes ago, OxCD said:

But I must admit a full farters colony has some charms.

Meet the whole crew, everyone!

crew.thumb.jpg.6f10b33e66243aba0a9550ae9375a504.jpg

I had this elaborate joke lined up where I'd show a screenshot of a Stinky that doesn't have Flatulent and whose name was changed to Freshton, but then one actually showed up with Flatulent and I couldn't refuse it.

Devon and Nisbet have Super Productive as their Overjoyed Response. I've seen what that looks like: they're real studious and there's a gears-turnin' icon over their heads. I forget exactly what it does, but I choose to believe that it makes their poots 200g when their Morale quota is exceeded. Super Productive.

On the night of the first day, Abe really articulated what this is all about:

relief.thumb.png.cb77722b7e2f51b31be28a8c1b7e514c.png

Why do other Flatulent Duplicants complain about the smell? Methinks they would be used to it by now.

This has actually been a rather interesting project so far. I found out pretty early on that the extra gas has atmospheric implications. Respiration normally produces 2g/s Carbon Dioxide, so if you add to that the 4g/s Natural Gas, you get a lot of displaced Oxygen in pretty short order. I had to dig a sizable well for the unbreathable gases to fall into. I spent much of the time I'd normally spend doing colony development instead being extra particular about routing and containing ambient gas resources.

After 25 cycles, I'd finally gotten everything under control. Behold the Pit of Expulsions:

cycle25.thumb.jpg.4b9c29c0c48efaa32e7ecf8d278ad50d.jpg

Ordinarily there should be twice as much orange than gray down there at the bottom, but I dug into one of those big chambers of Carbon Dioxide and decided it can mingle with the exhalants.

Learning some other things along the way too.

• Flatulent comes with sound effects. I always have the music on, so I guess I never noticed it before.
  • Natural Gas is an eye irritant now. Did not know that. Poots sting.
  • Food doesn't like to grow in Natural Gas. Knew that, but didn't really have a plan for it.
  • Duplicants hold their breaths under water, but they don't hold their bowels. It just bubbles on up to the surface.
  • Natural Gas floats atop Carbon Dioxide. Maybe this could be useful...

Don't worry, I have a plan for those giant accumulations in the well. But that's for the next episode. It's bed time now.

17 hours ago, GuyPerfect said:

When the Printing Pod is fully charged, reloading the save will re-roll the available printables. I don't care how many times I have to do this: everyone in my colony will be pooters. We will travel to the stars, breathing air and eating food.

The immigrant reroll mod can make that way less of a hassle. Some people also use DGSM to edit traits, but be warned: Dupes edited with DGSM are anything but balanced, since it doesn't re-apply traits attribute modifiers.

I experimented with (along other things) having a Flatulent dupes allowed everywhere: it's definitely possible, though it's a hindrance. The worse is a fart in a simple liquid airlock (the only one they cannot easily break) that moves and compress the liquid and break tiles. You have to be experienced with gas manipulation for some builds that are best done in vacuum, and some builds that require absolute vacuum all the time are not possible (luckily, those are only vanity project and not required for a healthy colony).

I installed a drainage system at the bottom of the well. First it shlorped down the Carbon Dioxide, then it shlorped down the Natural Gas.

shlorp.thumb.jpg.57800a5b2dcde88003e1d294fabb2bf8.jpg

That middle screenshot depicts like 75 feet of poo gas. Imagine encountering that in your basement.

The contraption at the bottom is a simple Gas Element Sensor (Oxygen) → NOT Gate → Filter Gate (60s) → Gas Pump → Gas Reservoir → Canister Filler. If it doesn't detect Oxygen for a full minute, it engages the pump until it does detect it. The Gas Reservoir only serves as a buffer so the pump can continue to operate while the Duplicants are making their way to empty the storage.

drain.thumb.jpg.28c887a61c02bc5d0e1a01586782b5ad.jpg

At the moment in the third screenshot there, this is where things stood:

resources.png.f9473d5110b915e1b95338b0090c9914.png

That is approximately--over the course of 34.5 cycles--2,401 poots from eight Duplicants.

I tried to come up with an efficient storage setup for the bonus gases, but didn't have a lot of luck with it. I noticed Duplicants can deliver resources through a locked Pneumatic Door, so I overlayed a couple of those with gimmicky exploit airlocks to make an air-tight containment chamber that the poots won't interfere with:

storage.thumb.jpg.3272640a9a13fa8eac4d11bf1d6a688d.jpg

The left side works great, but the right side kept collapsing. I ultimately determined the Canister Emptier was to blame: I think it must emit the gas packet in the middle cell on the right-hand side, because it only demolished my airlocks when I delivered a canister.

I, uh... don't suppose deliveries can be made through regular airlocks? That would make me feel rather inadequate.

I regret to inform you that once the poots were collected into a storage system, the game quickly regressed to normal-regular mode. There's always a little extra Natural Gas floating around, but it gets drained through the floor along with the Carbon Dioxide and winds up in a big box.

gas.thumb.jpg.0cf287a4d96f7d7ed206e5ea41cd3ddc.jpg

Across the 24 available cells of space, that 72.9 Kg multiplies out to a total of 1749.6 Kg of poot. Eight Duplicants over the course of something like 200 cycles produced the better part of two tonnes of trumpet blast. It was at this point when I started aggregating Natural Gas from other sources, so the exact figure of what was generated through natural processes can no longer be determined.

My sewage system involves a Liquid Reservoir in a closed loop with a Water Sieve. Over time, the tank fills up and I have to empty it into additional storage to keep things running smoothly. It's "clean" water, albeit infested with Food Poisoning germs, so I keep it isolated from other water stores until I can decontaminate it with radiation.

In the base game, once I progress enough through the environment, I pipe the germ-water up to a special metal box I build on the surface, capped with Bunker Tile and stitched together with Tungsten Metal Tile. When the meteors rain down onto it, they bring not just some Regolith and a fair amount of metallic resources, but kind of a lot of heat. The metal box conducts this heat through to the water stored within, boiling it off into Steam and killing the germs in the process. This Steam then goes directly into a rocket engine.

Their sewage gets them into space.

To date, this is the lowest-investment method I've been able to devise for those initial rocket missions. None of the rocket engines run on Natural Gas, though. I feel like there must be something I can do to keep that dream alive. And the Carbon Dioxide Engine is simply anticlimactic: who with any dignity wants to take a ride on the Respiration Express?

Archived