Sustaining Oxygen on an Inhospitable, Distant Planetoid

For sustained life in this cluster, it has become pertinent for me to set up camp on the gassy moo asteroid, as a satellite base that collects uranium from the nearby uranium ore field. This comes with some challenges, the easiest of which being gassy moo utilization. I suppose it is relevant to note that I play with the Gassy Moo Reproduction mod enabled, meaning gassy moos do not fall from the sky, rather they produce live young. Though, this isn't the matter at hand.

image.thumb.png.c97316c24687457041002058d6134ed8.png

The gassy moo planetoid is just far enough away from homeworld that radioactive engines are incapable of making round trips to it. This means that my only way of shipping materials is through the mass driver. Assuming I'll be able to set up proper automation satellite relays between homeworld and the moo planetoid in time, what do you suggest would be a good way to set up permanent oxygen on this planet? Should I be sending water payloads, or oxygen..? or oxylite, or algae, or polluted dirt & sand ...?

You can also go the wood-route: 15 or so wild trees, 2 ethanol distillers and either breathe polluted oxygen directly or feed part of the polluted dirt to crabs to make sand and then deodorize. Should be enough for one dupe that is permanently there, two when breathing polluted oxygen.

8 hours ago, blueberry pi said:

They don't damage to anything and are quite funny to watch fall and turn into moos.

Yeah. After seeing the mod i discovered that moos migrate, rather then reproduce. And started to wonder what's the benefit of the mod.

21 minutes ago, Lomion said:

Yeah. After seeing the mod i discovered that moos migrate, rather then reproduce. And started to wonder what's the benefit of the mod.

To grow them on other planetoids I suppose. Would be nice to have a deluxe meat farm everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Unfawkable said:

To grow them on other planetoids I suppose. Would be nice to have a deluxe meat farm everywhere.

Ah. Didn't quite think of that. Then using this mod defeats the whole question of the topic. Just bring enough resources to tame and get an egg and abandon the rest to their wild faith. xD

Edit: Wait. Can't you wrangle them at the critter dropoff and put inside the rocket to move anywhere you like? Then the mod benefit question is still up.

1 hour ago, Lomion said:

what's the benefit of the mod.

fun...? gassy moos & gas grass under the influence of the mod become another fairly unique food source, its just fun to use them, there doesn't need to be more than that. Its a bit of a shame that gas grass needs as much light as it does, because even with the mod there is not really enough light reaching the main handful of asteroids in otherwise-vanilla gameplay for gas grass to be potent. Maybe with fertilizer, but I dunno.

1 hour ago, Lomion said:

using this mod defeats the whole question of the topic. Just bring enough resources to tame and get an egg and abandon the rest to their wild faith. xD

No, this thread is regarding living on the asteroid itself out of necessity since it is closest to a space asteroid field that I would need to tap into to continue doing nuclear power sustainably. I could totally wrangle some moos into my rocket (they don't drop eggs, they produce live birth.) and take them elsewhere and use them as a food source, somewhere, but the duplicants on Udderino still need to eat.

8 minutes ago, Primalflower said:

fun...? gassy moos & gas grass under the influence of the mod become another fairly unique food source, its just fun to use them, there doesn't need to be more than that. Its a bit of a shame that gas grass needs as much light as it does, because even with the mod there is not really enough light reaching the main handful of asteroids in otherwise-vanilla gameplay for gas grass to be potent. Maybe with fertilizer, but I dunno.

But don't they shower down from the sky to become a food source? Or the migration rate is too slow for them to be a sustainable source?

10 minutes ago, Primalflower said:

No, this thread is regarding living on the asteroid itself out of necessity since it is closest to a space asteroid field that I would need to tap into to continue doing nuclear power sustainably. I could totally wrangle some moos into my rocket (they don't drop eggs, they produce live birth.) and take them elsewhere and use them as a food source, somewhere, but the duplicants on Udderino still need to eat.

Oh. So it's more of an mining outpost, then distant ranch. As for oxygen source, nothing comes to mind except already mentioned natural gas into polluted water. You can also add molten slicksters to eat up the co2 and feed a petroleum generator to get even more polluted water. Though you'll have to do the math how many slicksters you can sustain. Or just let them run wild, since they will most likely chow trough minuscule amounts of produced co2 with ease.

As for interplanetary launcher i'm not sure. But if it can launch only 200kg per canister regardless of payload type. Then, obviously, launching already produced oxygen is the best option, since you'll get only 888g of oxygen per 1kg of water and oxylite just off gasses everywhere. Same applies to any other oxygen producing method except algae terrariums. But the latter is questionable since the difference in mass is 33mg.

2 minutes ago, Lomion said:

But don't they shower down from the sky to become a food source? Or the migration rate is too slow for them to be a sustainable source?

by default, the mod turns off the downpour of moos. I haven't tested or anything, but I'm pretty sure the downpour would be plenty for a few duplicants, but I'm not sure, maybe its not even enough for one !

Otherwise, interesting additions :butterfly:

2 minutes ago, Primalflower said:

by default, the mod turns off the downpour of moos. I haven't tested or anything, but I'm pretty sure the downpour would be plenty for a few duplicants, but I'm not sure, maybe its not even enough for one !

Otherwise, interesting additions :butterfly:

If it was me i'd probably use hydrogen rockets to deliver few large liquid cargo modules worth of petroleum and make a refueling station for mining ships running on petroleum. So it will be tot much of an outpost, but a gas station. xD

40 minutes ago, Lomion said:

If it was me i'd probably use hydrogen rockets to deliver few large liquid cargo modules worth of petroleum and make a refueling station for mining ships running on petroleum. So it will be tot much of an outpost, but a gas station. xD

I have done that before. My home base running on radioactive ocean and I use interplanetary launcher with automations to send petroleum packets back to main. But one day I suddenly found I had tons of petroleum at home so I decide to send later packets to other asteroids. Every asteroid has a gas station now. :lol:

My absolute favorite part of Spaced Out is finding ways to make an asteroid completely self-sustainable using resources that match the theme of the asteroid. Here are a few hints:

• As @6Havok9 said, you'll want to maximize the amount of natural gas you have and process all of it in natural gas generators so you can get polluted water. A lot of power will go unused, but that's okay since your goal here is to generate polluted water.
  • You don't need any sand if you boil your polluted water into clean water for your bathrooms and electrolyzer
  • Don't forget to keep some polluted water for reed fiber to maintain your atmo suits
  • And of course you have food covered by your moo ranch

Good luck!

Archived