Benchmark Testing of Spaced out

Link to results, might take me a bit of time to get them all in their.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CHKRwjLfPsOZq2nVFGFoz5EgUvO64qqeYOAFnueeJxo/edit?usp=sharing

While trying to build a new PC I ran into a problem, what is the best things to focus on to get the best performance out of ONI.

Some say single core performance, RAM speed, Clock Latencies even the occasional high speed Hard Drive claim. So to help try and resolve this I am trying to get some benchmarks together. Of course their is no perfect way to test this and it will be inaccurate but hopefully we can get an idea of where the general bottleneck lies. This will take a bit of effort so I'm not sure how many people are interested in giving it a go but if we can get even a few maybe we can figure out what is more important for playing ONI.

How to run the benchmark

1. Disable all your mods first, they might affect game performance
  2. Download the benchmark save (Linked) and copy it to your save game folder https://oxygennotincluded.fandom.com/wiki/Save_file_locations
  3. Restart your PC, please note a "restart" is different from a shutdown.
  4. After restart only open ONI as we don't want any other programs interfering (If you have some programs that auto start that is fine)
  5. The benchmark is simple, run the save game at max speed. Shortly after start (20-30 seconds) an alarm should pause the game automatically(Timer doing it should be centre screen when you load up). When it does we are ready to start. Unpause the game and start a stopwatch, the in game timer with go off again after 300 in game seconds, when it does stop the stop watch. Note the resulting time.

Few notes, you can open the in game timer (it's centre screen hooked up to an alarm) so you know when the pause is coming. Don't move the camera or check out other planets before running the test, that may load things or increase resource usage and skew the results. Also the reason we don't use FPS is because it's not locked to the performance of the game as in how long it takes for dupes to build or do things in game. What we are interested in is how many cycles we can get done in as short an amount of time as possible.

Please format the results as below, you can get the first three pieces of information from Task manager, the bottom two CAS and HDD are harder pieces of info to find so if you can't get them don't worry about it.

Time : 2:11 or 131 seconds
CPU : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz 
Graphics card : RTX 2060
RAM : 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz

CAS : 15,17,17,35
HDD : MX500 500 GB CT500MX500SSD1

Blank template you can copy and paste
Time : 
CPU : 
Graphics card : 
RAM : 

CAS : 
HDD : 

BenchMarkTesting.sav

17 minutes ago, JohnFrancis said:

Some say single core performance, RAM speed, Clock Latencies even the occasional high speed Hard Drive claim.

its not only this this or this. they all together matters for performance. and yes even a motherboard  .

some people just talk about some specific like CPU 

1 hour ago, gabberworld said:

some people just talk about some specific like CPU 

CPUs can also cause jitter. Intel CPUs generally jitter a lot more than AMD (due to badly implemented task-switching by Intel), so they need higher FPS for a smooth experience. Jitter is very unpleasant to humans.

1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

CPUs can also cause jitter. Intel CPUs generally jitter a lot more than AMD (due to badly implemented task-switching by Intel), so they need higher FPS for a smooth experience. Jitter is very unpleasant to humans.

and still latest intel cpu is not bad at all. they even beat amd single core performance. amd only plus is that it have smaller cpu what allows have more cores. and thats is all. but if app is not designed to run in multi cores then in cant pump out maximum anyway from amd

3 hours ago, JohnFrancis said:

The benchmark is simple, run the save game at max speed. Shortly after start (20-30 seconds) an alarm should pause the game automatically(Timer doing it should be centre screen when you load up). When it does we are ready to start. Unpause the game and start a stopwatch, the in game timer with go off again after 300 in game seconds, when it does stop the stop watch. Note the resulting time.

Here are my results:

Time : 3:24.47 (204 seconds)
CPU : Intel Core i9 9980XE
Graphics card : GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM : 128 GB DDR4 2666 MHz

CAS : 16-18-18-35
HDD : 2x WD 4 TB Black (4005FZWX) (configured as Raid 0)

I noticed quite a lot of lag/jitter while running the benchmark though it didn't seem to affect the in-game timer that much as I timed it a second time (just unpaused after the timer had gone off after the 300s) and the result was basically the same (3:24.51) but it appeared to be less laggy/jittery.

Hey!

1:53.65 (113 seconds)
CPU: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700k @ 3.60GHz
GPU: Nvidia 3080ti
RAM: 32GB @ 3600MHz
CAS: 16-18-18-36
HDD: WD Black SN850 1TB NVMe

I ran the test three times and results were all within 1 second of the others.

11 minutes ago, RuiPalhas said:

Here are my results:

Time : 3:24.47 (204 seconds)
CPU : Intel Core i9 9980XE
Graphics card : GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM : 128 GB DDR4 2666 MHz

CAS : 16-18-18-35
HDD : 2x WD 4 TB Black (4005FZWX) (configured as Raid 0)

I noticed quite a lot of lag/jitter while running the benchmark though it didn't seem to affect the in-game timer that much as I timed it a second time (just unpaused after the timer had gone off after the 300s) and the result was basically the same (3:24.51) but it appeared to be less laggy/jittery.

I am shocked by that result, the i9 9980XE is more of a workstation CPU but still I though it would be much closer to my results. It took your system 55% longer to do 300 in game seconds. Only thing I can see that might be hurting your times is the spindle drives, that is the only explanation I can think off.

6 minutes ago, JohnFrancis said:

I am shocked by that result, the i9 9980XE is more of a workstation CPU but still I though it would be much closer to my results. It took your system 55% longer to do 300 in game seconds. Only thing I can see that might be hurting your times is the spindle drives, that is the only explanation I can think off.

DDR4 2666 MHz, your memory is like 400 mhz faster its very big number

Noticed a major 3-5 second hitch that seemed to pause the in-game timer and did not seem like the cycle auto-save about 75s in-game time, but was pretty smooth otherwise.

Time : 2:37 or 157 seconds
CPU : AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12-Core Processor
Graphics card : ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3070
RAM : G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C18D-64GTZR

CAS : 18-22-22-42
HDD : Force Corsair MP300 1TB

I didnt do a restart before as i just wanted to have this done quickly so the time could maybe be a little better with a restart but realistically my CPU was at 20% load at most and the GPU was at 15% load while the game was running at 4k.
The game seems to be heavily CPU limited.

Time : 113
CPU : 5800X
Graphics card : 6900XT
RAM : 3600mhz 

CAS : no idea right now but got XMP enable
HDD : 7200 RPM HDD

Also a bit lazy mode (no restart and browser open). Did 2 runs results were within a second.

Time : 1:54 (114s)
CPU : Ryzen 5800X
Graphics card : RX 5700XT
RAM : 3200 16GB (might be low on ram a bit loaded game eats lots of it)

CAS : 14/14/14/34
HDD : SSD EVO 970 Plus

For those not adding CAS please grab Cpu-z and it will show those for you. You can also check this way if you have XMP actually enabled or you bought fast RAM and it's not using correct timings (difference can be significant).

Time : 1min 56.26 seconds (116.26 seconds)

CPU : Ryzen 9 5950x watercooled custom loop, precision boost overdrive enabled

Graphics card : Nvidia 3090 founders watercooled custom loop, msi afterburner auto overclocked

RAM : G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 32GB 3600mhz

CAS : CL16-19-19-39

HDD : Samsung 970 EVO 2tb NVME

Hi!

This is an intresting topic to start my journey on KLEI forums. :)

Time :  ~120 seconds
CPU : Ryzen 5900X
Graphics card :  RTX 3090 (ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity to be exact)
RAM : 32GB 3200
CAS : 16-18-18-36
HDD : Seagate Firecuda 520SSD (1TB, R/W up to 5GB/4,4GB/sec)

Ive tested this save 5x times and 120 sec (2 min 5 sec, 2 min 1 sec, 1 min 55 sec, 1 min 57 sec, 2 min 2 sec) is the middle ground.

Altough ive found sth else as well intresting. My PC did use a couple of cores for this game but mostly was lying dormant. Same as GPU. Almost nothing was happening. I belive engine opt is best solution in this case. Ive attached my Task Manager windows for both just after the test was done (Sorry for polish lang, thats how I've got my Win set up :c ). I hope that will help you to choose a good sweet spot for your needs. (5900x+ 3080 should work great! :))  Any more q just ask. :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention. Both GPU and CPU are watercooled in custom loop with 360mm radiatior.

gpu.png

CPU.png

Time : 111
CPU : Ryzen 7 5800X
Graphics card :  AMD 6900XT (not a custom card)
RAM : 32GB 3600MHz

CAS : CL16-19-19-39 (G.Skill RipJaws V / F4-3600C16D-32GVKC)
HDD : System: SanDisk Extreme Pro 500GB [NVMe] / ONI: SanDisk 2TB [S-ATA] (SDSSDH32000G)

MB: Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
PowerSupply: 750W be quiet Dark Power 12 80+ Titanium
Cooler: (takeover of old pc) Aplenföhn Brocken 2 PCGH edition

Archived