Beefalo Taming for Beginners

You want to tame a beefalo huh? But first, you gotta know the steps...

First, the 4 tendencies and what they do

rider-beefalo-dont-starve-together-winona.thumb.jpg.773d1c6e4b10bd656c3a135e85d0ecf7.jpg
Rider beefalo: Ride your beefalo often
Once fully tamed, it runs faster than any other tendency
 Deals 25 damage
Great for travelling!

winona-pudgy-beefalo-dont-starve-together-768x512.jpg.2a3c9ff7b4f4e86a4d890ae7f6adab6e.jpg

Pudgy Beefalo: Overfeed your beefalo
Really slow...
Sanity gain of 6 sanity per minute
Deals 20 damage
Not really great...  but stacks with other sanity gains!

winona-ornery-beefalo-dont-starve-together.thumb.jpg.e486a544a2aa7f65574ad5025f975ad8.jpg

Ornery beefalo: Fight with your beefalo often
Good Speed
Deals 50 damage (66 with war saddle)
Sometimes this beefalo will get fussy and won't allow you to mount it unless you feed it/brush it
One of the best beefalo tendencies!
Amazing for certain boss fights!

winona-default-beefalo-dont-starve-together-768x512.jpg.bdc80099ff870b98a27aba94c732eae0.jpg
Default Beefalo: Balance all stats
HOW DO YOU GET THIS???
34 damage
Nice speed!
Not the best but certainly not the worst!

RECOMMENDED BUT CERTAINLY NOT REQUIRED ITEMS!

Beefalo_Bell.png.73de00be9c468dcd3a01ab9bb89ca57f.pngBeefalo bell (2 flint, 3 gold), name your beefalo! it can also catch up quicker

1295134469_OIP(6).jpg.880b64db192096ec2f427939feb794ae.jpgBrush (1 tusk, 1 steel wool, and 2 gold), lowers the time a beefalo is tamed
You can only brush a beefalo once a day, otherwise you're just losing durability

Food Recommendations:

Twigs
Cooked bull kelp
Berries
Dragonpie
Cooked cacti
Light bulbs, petals, etc..

A beefalo takes 20 days to tame (15 with brush)
At first when taming a beefalo, it bucks you off after 15 seconds when mounted, this timer increases as domesticating goes on
When fully tamed, the beef bucks you off after 13 minutes of riding.

How to feed:
Your beefalo will do it's hungry animation until above 200+ hunger (its max is 375)
Once it stops, then there is no need to feed it anymore..
But once it farts (Yes this is a thing), stop feeding (unless you're aiming for a pudgy beefalo)
Once it pukes, you have gotten yourself a pudgy beef and a sick one : (

What saddle do I recommend for the starting of taming?
Just regular saddle, you wouldn't want your special ones losing durability if the beefalo shakes it off

Glossamer saddle is great for rider beefalo

SOMETHING ABOUT SALT LICKS:
A salt lick pauses a beefs domestication when parked, other than that, I wouldn't use them

Keep feeding your beefalo and riding it for 20 days (or 15), and once it poofs, you have done it!
Your beefalo is yours to keep, have fun!

Obedience:
Tendency:     Minimum Obedience:
Default            80%
Ornery            45%
Pudgy             60%
Rider               95%

10%: Beefalo is allowed to be saddled
A beefalo's obedience has to be 50% and above in order to ride it
Overfeeding a beefalo causes the obedience points to drop by 30%
Starving a beef, however, results in losing 100% obedience per day!

A beefalo's obedience is gained by riding, brushing, and feeding

Some other mechanics:
beefalos are great for carrying heavy items (statues and marble pieces), there is no speed penalty
When carrying a statue on your own, even when fully tamed, your beefalo will do its hunger animation XD
You can dress your beefalo with a grooming station if you have bonded your beefalo with the bell and  mix n' match its outfits! just have fun!
You can only carry one beefalo bell at a time!
With beefalo bell, your beef can follow you ANYWHERE! Including the CAVES
You can even harvest/pick things up on your beefalo, I find this very useful
Using healing foods on a beef is 2x stronger! (a blue cap gives 40 hp to the player but 80 to the beefalo)
Feeding a beefalo raw kelp, raw cacti, cooked/raw green and red caps, will result in hurting the beef, while it does a special animation

Beefalos are great for late-game exploration, and the taming process isn't hard, just resource intensive. 
Ornery beefalos are the best beef around imo, they're great for bosses, though I wouldn't recommend them for fuelweaver, but do whatever

klei, where's my Beefalo Expert rank???

Beefalo have become much much easier to tame with the introduction of the Beefalo bell, a lot of people don’t tend to think so but- Having it follow you around loyally everywhere you go (including into caves) is a very powerful thing, you can literally just passively feed it as you wonder around exploring the surface and caves, just pick up a few sticks shove in its mouth.. keep exploring.. and since you have both the surface AND Caves to gather these resources from: you shouldn’t have too much of a struggle taming it on just doing this ALONE.

But your other tips (especially the saddling and riding part) help speed up the process.

Lureplants can be used to domesticate an ornery beefalo without exposing them to true danger. Bees can also help with this, though there's the risk of your beef bucking you as they die to a swarm of bees and you're unable to remount. Speaking of which panflutes/sleepytime stories are great for saving beef under attack from herds of smaller mobs. Also, if you're on a dedicated server or want to do anything without your beefalo salt licks are a must or else they'll undomesticate themself over time. One salt lick for one beefalo will last 15 in game days or two hours.

2 hours ago, Szmorcsz said:

Lureplants can be used to domesticate an ornery beefalo without exposing them to true danger. Bees can also help with this, though there's the risk of your beef bucking you as they die to a swarm of bees and you're unable to remount. Speaking of which panflutes/sleepytime stories are great for saving beef under attack from herds of smaller mobs. Also, if you're on a dedicated server or want to do anything without your beefalo salt licks are a must or else they'll undomesticate themself over time. One salt lick for one beefalo will last 15 in game days or two hours.

This is False, your Beefalo now leaves the server WITH You when you log out much like how Woby leaves and rejoins with Walter, it Can’t Untame, in fact… I’m not even sure why even need Salt Licks anymore unless your wanting to go long periods of time away from your furry pal.

I said 'if you want to do anything without' the beef. For example, sailing for long periods of time, clearing the ruins, etc. These are activities that typically take several days and personally I'd rather not have my beef when doing them, hence the need for salt licks.

17 minutes ago, Szmorcsz said:

I said 'if you want to do anything without' the beef. For example, sailing for long periods of time, clearing the ruins, etc. These are activities that typically take several days and personally I'd rather not have my beef when doing them, hence the need for salt licks.

Oh my bad I thought you meant you need to leave salt licks out when you log off the server or your beefalo untamed this used to be true, but not anymore- they log out with you when you leave if bonded by bell.

6 hours ago, AlternateMew said:

Once you go Beefalo tamer, you don't go back. 

Who needs a ham bat and armor just bring your boof and non-armor items and go to town with hands-free speed buff that ignores rough terrain.

I feel so bad about this if I'm honest. I've grown reliant on beefalo for boss fighting X﹏X

maybe next time around i should go for a rider. gets me around faster, but i've got to fight on my own.

Spoiler

Koalefant is a neutral Animal that spawns after the player has tracked it down by examining Suspicious Dirt Piles.

Once spawned, a Koalefant will actively avoid the player until it is attacked, at which point the animal becomes hostile and will chase the player for a distance. If left alive, they drop Manure, similar to Beefalo (both Mobs use similar models in the game). Although the Koalefant is considered a neutral Mob, killing it does not affect the Naughtiness level.

A Koalefant takes three blasts from the Ice Staff to be frozen and drops 8 Meat and a Koalefant Trunk when killed. While technically a Food item, the Koalefant Trunk can be used to craft the Breezy Vest.

There is a chance a Suspicious Dirt Pile will lead to an Ewecus instead.

Winter Koalefant.png Winter Koalefant

WX-78 Portrait.png
IT RADIATES WITH MEAT WARMTH

WX-78

During Winter, the Koalefant is replaced by the Winter Koalefant, which has a seasonally appropriate color change. When killed, a Winter Koalefant drops a Winter Koalefant Trunk, which can be used to craft the Puffy Vest.

A Koalefant that was already spawned before the season change will remain as a normal Koalefant during Winter. Should Koalefant tracks be found before winter and followed during winter, a Winter Koalefant will be found.

Spear.png Hunting

Main article: Suspicious Dirt Pile
Wigfrid Portrait.png
Öh! I löve a gööd hunt.

Wigfrid, when examining an Animal Track.

Suspicious Dirt Pile.png Suspicious Dirt Pile.  Koalefant tracks can be found by investigating a Suspicious Dirt Pile. These can be found randomly in the world and will change locations if ignored for a period of time. Once examined, the Suspicious Dirt Pile will be uncovered by the character and replaced by an animal footprint pointing in the direction of travel. Another pile of dirt will then spawn approximately two screens away.

Upon uncovering the final footprint (there can be between 6 and 12 per hunt), the character will alert the player that the creature is close and a Koalefant will be spawned rather than another track. The mob will remain in the world until it is killed, regardless of which Seasons pass.

Animal Track.png Examined Koalefant track.  Occasionally when uncovering the tracks, the footprint will not appear and the character will communicate the end of the trail to the player, resulting in the animal being lost. Generally, another Suspicious Dirt Pile will spawn nearby for the player to restart the hunt. The animal may also be lost if the player ignores a track, resulting in the footprint slowly fading away after about a minute or so.

Brain.png Behavior

When approached, the Koalefant will run away from the player until it is hit by an attack. Using a Boomerang, Blow Dart, or Sleep Dart is the most effective way to initiate a fight; however, the animal can also be cornered (see tips) and struck with a melee weapon to engage.

After it has been angered, the Koalefant will attempt to close the distance between the attacker and strikes with the same timing as a beefalo, although with considerably more damage. A player can safely Kite one with an attack pattern of 5-6 swings depending on movement speed. If there are multiple Koalefants on screen, all of them will aggro on the player if one of them is attacked, similar to Beefalo.

Tips

• If found at night the Koalefant can be seen sleeping, and while it will eventually wake up and continue running away if approached, the time the animal takes to do this will give the player opportunity for a melee strike to engage it in combat.
  • If killed with fire, the regular loot of 8 Meat will be replaced with 8 Cooked Meat, and the Trunk will be replaced with Ashes.
  • As with anything that spawns resources, there is a chance for the Koalefant's loot to fall into the water and be lost if the items are dropped too close to seashore.
  • Cornering the Koalefant can be difficult to control with varying land tile layouts, it's more reliable to "trap" it using only one boundary. This can be done by herding the animal up against the obstruction, at which point it will begin to run sideways along the edge in an attempt to escape. If the player is able to catch up with it fast enough, the Koalefant will no longer run along the boundary but instead be stationary as it attempts to run directly into it.
  • If any of the aggroing methods cannot be done by the player, another method is to chase it into hostile mobs such as mating Beefalos, Killer Bees, Tallbirds, etc. since Koalefants only run away from the player and not other mobs.

Klei, where is my Koalephant Expert rank?

Archived