ONI - hive mind

Today I finally try to do ONI together, where multiple players will be able to play in same colony.

I'm not satisfied with results, but it work at least - http://34.77.172.223/

May be tomorrow I will try to speed out it somehow, analytic charts shows I have no enough CPU.

Untitled-2.thumb.jpg.65b8aa8f799129f1f93b65e02322c5f6.jpg

Here is explanation how it work

Spoiler

I use google cloud platform, because they provide trial period, limited by 300$ and/or 90 days.

I create general purpose vm-instance with 8 virtual cpu and 8 gb of ram.

Install docker (apt-get install docker docker-compose)

write docker file

Spoiler

FROM dorowu/ubuntu-desktop-lxde-vnc
RUN useradd -u 8877 john

which allow me to run VNC server in gui-less machine.

Then docker-compose file

Spoiler

version: "3"

services:
  ox:
    image: ox
    restart: unless-stopped
    volumes:
      - /dev/shm:/dev/shm
      - /home/{username}/ox/installed_location:/home/john/ox
      - /home/{username}/ox/documents:/home/john/.config/unity3d/Klei/
    ports:
      - 6080:80
      - 5900:5900
    environment:
      - USER=john

After it I run docker compose file (docker-compose up -d), and open browser ui - http://34.140.29.120:6080/

Then install oxygen not included for linux in folder /home/john/ox. How I install it? I would like to keep it in a secret.

Add minibase mod

profit

How long this server will exists? Two weeks.

what about money

Spoiler

google cloud allow to use their services 300$ for free and/or during 3 months.

Initially, I start it as general-purpose virtual instance with with 8virtual cpu and 8 gb of ram. But look like it was not enough, I think problem is desktop environment. With that setup, google cloud charge me for 14$ trial bucks per first day (2021-07-13).

Next day (2021-07-14) I update instance to 16 vcpu and 16 gb of ram. Now it look like more smooth, and monitoring charts show this:

image.thumb.png.8730bfdd1c39c3910807b2f051142c24.png

So, if previously it use 90% of cpu and 47% of ram, now it use 67%cpu and 20% of ram. It would be great to setup something like 12vcpu and 6gb of ram, but I did not found such option. Will see how much they will charge me tomorrow, and it would be possible to calculate how long this experiment will take.

New instance cost around 18$ per day. Look like it is most optimal for such environment. It mean, we have little more then two weeks

2021-07-22 - balance is 183$, approximately 14$ per day.

2021-07-22 - balance is 183$

1 minute ago, Reitar said:

It looked like when someone was doing something (wiping the floor), I could only watch

i have more than one pc, once i looked that someone hacked to my second pc and moved at screen the mouse for disable the some stuff, he used same remote view technique

23 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

its the remote play

Yes

30 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

same as you connect your home pc from work for example

No, because you did not care if somebody hack your pc

21 minutes ago, Reitar said:

It looked like when someone was doing something (wiping the floor), I could only watch

It's good, I thought two people will fight for same cursor position and as result nobody will do something useful. 

Idea is it work inside of container, which is runned inside of cloud server. Need to setup privileges appropriately, and it would be really difficult to do something. I don't know how, but think it is possible to setup VNC server to stream ONI only, and not allow to see remote desktop or something else. Will try to do it later.

I change hardware configuration a little, and IP address changed. OP post updated

8 minutes ago, degr said:

Idea is it work inside of container, which is runned inside of cloud server. Need to setup privileges appropriately, and it would be really difficult to do something. I don't know how, but think it is possible to setup VNC server to stream ONI only, and not allow to see remote desktop or something else. Will try to do it later.

like you see i try change to lower resolution but seems like it not supported. as far i remember play at high resolution needs allot protsess in remote play,

you killed my fun XD by disconnect

3 minutes ago, pether said:

As far as I don't like the idea of multiplayer, I am really curious how this experiment will go :) Good idea, please keep posting the updates :)

its not multiplayer what he tested

. its more like punch off players are at your home and everyone try play in it at same time with one pc

Actually, it is still alive, now it look much more better then on cycle 18. However, still yellow alarm. If somebody play, and read this thread, please write you opinion. Is it slow? I can't make better video quality, but I can try to add more cpu and ram.

ps I make backups each hour, so if somebody will delete savefiles, I can restore them

24 minutes ago, degr said:

Actually, it is still alive, now it look much more better then on cycle 18. However, still yellow alarm. If somebody play, and read this thread, please write you opinion. Is it slow? I can't make better video quality, but I can try to add more cpu and ram.

ps I make backups each hour, so if somebody will delete savefiles, I can restore them

It's really slow, but it's fun to play. You can also play from a smartphone with sufficient video quality.

I add compute power, IP remain same. It look like more responsive now.

Regarding to specifications, it should work pretty good with previous configuration, but I'm just not sure how much resources use operating system itself.

I change server resolution to exactly selected in game. Now picture looks much more sharp, but it is small. Is it better, or rollback it to full screen?

Also think I can add sound, please let me know if somebody would like to hear sounds

Mod request, changelog wishlist: :rolleyes:

V1.0 Remote controllable ONI exclusive IP game mouse pointer in the game

V1.1 ONI mod which creates 10 mouse pointers in the game, which can be remote controlled by 10 players, 1 mouse pointer per player

V1.2 Every mouse pointer now has a different color and the players name gets displayed with it

V1.3 Remote ONI keyboard, where players can connect to virtual ONI keyboards

V1.3.1 Shared clicking: All remote mousepointers can be used at once by all players if enabled by the host

V2 Force feedback game pads and VR glasses support, seeing the hosts pc in 3D and making it rumble

V2.11 Mousepointers can now also play back audio on the host pc inside the ONI game, all audio gets streamed to the ONI host and is only played back in the game. Attention: Requires built music boxes/ghettoblaster built in the level

V2.12 Streamed ONI User audio in the game now support audio effects like dance hall, bass box, rock`n`roll and yodel

V2.13 The mod can now be purchased with Bitcoins, but not with Ethereum

1 hour ago, babba said:

V1.1 ONI mod which creates 10 mouse pointers in the game, which can be remote controlled by 10 players, 1 mouse pointer per player

yeah, this kind feature should be come from hardware really, more mouse you add more you should see at screen

something like this https://www.mousemux.com/

i tested Game with this mousemux , unfortunately game fill crash, but it does allow run more than 1 mouse in screen

As I can see most important problems is

1. there is no enough space/duplicants for all palyers.
  2. communication

Look like chat is not enough, and, as somebody mention above, he use smartphone (lol, I remember people told it is impossible to play with smartphone), so it would be good to add voice chat. I have no time for voice chat, and think it is impossible to add multiple pointers (small chances that it possible with mod, most probably need to make changes in game core). But, I think it is possible to make some kind of "booking" system, where player will request for game controls for 5 min, and other people can suggest something in chat. However, it would be really disgusting, if you build something during 5 min, and then somebody destroy it next 5 min. Don't know. Actually, I was surprised colony still survive.

5 hours ago, degr said:

As I can see most important problems is

1. there is no enough space/duplicants for all palyers.
  2. communication

Look like chat is not enough, and, as somebody mention above, he use smartphone (lol, I remember people told it is impossible to play with smartphone), so it would be good to add voice chat. I have no time for voice chat, and think it is impossible to add multiple pointers (small chances that it possible with mod, most probably need to make changes in game core). But, I think it is possible to make some kind of "booking" system, where player will request for game controls for 5 min, and other people can suggest something in chat. However, it would be really disgusting, if you build something during 5 min, and then somebody destroy it next 5 min. Don't know. Actually, I was surprised colony still survive.

I love your note with the booking system :lol:

Maybe we should all connect via 8000 Baud serial cable. For those which have never heard of Baud...

Baud is the brother of OP, the sister of Meh ! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baud

Network booking session slots, for "ONI multimouse networking" need to be booked via posted paper envelope and 3 supplied photocopies :flustered: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vogon

At Diablo2 launch I actually stuck 4x ForceFeedback Logitech prototype mice together ( was a later flop released Logi product ) and tried to play 4 copies of Diablo2 with 4 characters at the same time on 4 monitors with my right hand. Only worked control precise for 1 minute :lol:

I love your tech ideas and experiments @degr :congratulatory:

I got perfect idea, cheap and promising. 

We need just software, which will synchronize savefiles. Working schema simple -

1. save file stored <somewhere> in cloud or just website
  2. players register in client application, it could be web site, or installable application or even ONI mod
  3. application split day hours between players, something like "playerA 10-12AM, playerB12am-2pm, playerC 2pm-4pm
  4. if somebody can't play during his timeframe, another player may book his hours, if first allow it. If application did not request for savefile in a time, anybody may request savefile
  5. At the beginning of your interval software download savefile from cloud
  6. At the end of your interval software take latest savefile and upload it into cloud

Software MAY have some kind of simple chat, but communication should be out of scope, we have discord, skype, telegram etc.

From cons - you need to setup additional software, or use website to download-upload savefile manually

You have got some cool admin ideas :p

I really like your original mouse pointer shared user control idea.

If a mod could generate game exclusive mouse pointers which only work in the game ( for security )...and if those could be associated with 2 different colors and player names + ingame mouse pointer(s) can be connected to via external IP - Voila, a kind of tutor simplified multiplayer gameplay could be possible in the game. The ingame mouse pointer(s) mod + IP tunneling through and out of the game would be the hard work for a modder.

@degr

Archived