Aluminum doesn't breed smooth hatches?

Stone hatches can *eat* aluminum ore, but doing so does not increase the chances they will lay a smooth hatch egg.  Tell me this is an obvious oversight that has somehow escaped notice all this time?

Also cobalt in the DLC.

Pretty sure i filed a bug report for the aluminium a long time ago. A quick search turns up several open reports.

IIRC it's especially heinous on the classic forest start where it says you're supposed to find biological solutions to problems, but won't let you breed smooth hatches as all your ore is aluminium. Seeing as this is probably the only situation anybody wants to breed smooth hatches over just rushing refineries, and seeing as how it's probably literally a 2-minute fix to find and include aluminium in the appropriate list, i have no idea why this has remained as it is for so long.

As a side note i also find it absurd that feeding sage hatches polluted dirt causes them to spawn plain hatch eggs.

On 6/25/2021 at 1:27 AM, Yobbo said:

IIRC it's especially heinous on the classic forest start where it says you're supposed to find biological solutions to problems, but won't let you breed smooth hatches as all your ore is aluminium. Seeing as this is probably the only situation anybody wants to breed smooth hatches over just rushing refineries,

Exactly!  I'm now playing on Verdante and have not found any cold biomes to dump heat into in order to rush the metal refinery, so I thought I might finally try breeding smooth hatches, but since you get aluminum instead of copper, I started feeding them that only to find that it doesn't cause them to morph into smooth hatches.  My choices are now to either feed them gold amalgam or just rely on the rock crusher to get refined ore until I can get some glossy drakeos bread up and make s steam turbine.

On 6/25/2021 at 1:27 AM, Yobbo said:

As a side note i also find it absurd that feeding sage hatches polluted dirt causes them to spawn plain hatch eggs.

It doesn't.  They just have a certain base chance of reverting to plain hatches.  Feeding them dirt increases the chance they will lay sage hatch eggs ( but it starts out pretty high ).  Feeding them anything else, including pdirt, leaves the chances unchanged.

6 hours ago, psusi said:

It doesn't.  They just have a certain base chance of reverting to plain hatches. 

Yes, so if you breed sage hatches with the intention of feeding them polluted dirt, the population reverts over time into ordinary hatches. In starts where dirt is a limited resource this makes them somewhat useless as a means of refuse disposal, which would otherwise be their obvious early-game use. Their only sustainable use is making coal from pip poop.

Feeding stone hatches on igneous rock (which is the only actual use of stone hatches i've ever seen mentioned) also causes them to eventually regress into ordinary hatches without some sort of explicit management.

1 hour ago, Yobbo said:

Yes, so if you breed sage hatches with the intention of feeding them polluted dirt, the population reverts over time into ordinary hatches. In starts where dirt is a limited resource this makes them somewhat useless as a means of refuse disposal, which would otherwise be their obvious early-game use. Their only sustainable use is making coal from pip poop.

Feeding stone hatches on igneous rock (which is the only actual use of stone hatches i've ever seen mentioned) also causes them to eventually regress into ordinary hatches without some sort of explicit management.

you should not really feed the sage hatches directly with dirt tho instead make fertilizer and feed that

2 hours ago, Yobbo said:

Yes, so if you breed sage hatches with the intention of feeding them polluted dirt, the population reverts over time into ordinary hatches...

Well that's only if you're wild or glum ranching. If the critters are being groomed even occasionally they'll lay so many excess eggs that the wrong morphs can just be culled, or if you really want to do wild/glum ranching you could have a regression stables where they are fed some dirt to turn them back into Sage Hatches, there are some "exploits" with feeding small amounts of a substance to give the egg chance (for example on forest starts typically the starting food bin is made of sedimentary rock, which can be used to greatly boost the chance of Stone Hatches despite the small amount of rock), while it varies enormously by critter, typically a critter doesn't need a pure diet it's entire life to get a very high egg chance for a desired morph, mixing a small amount of dirt in with the polluted dirt can dramatically reduce the frequency of hatch eggs.

IMO glum ranching should not be without downsides besides frame rate so having to manage morphs is a good thing (though Smooth hatch diet is undeniably inconsistent when it comes to aluminium and cobalt).

It's a similiar thing with Grubgrubs in Spaced Out, it's nice to just put some wild or glum grubgrubs in a farm to have them rub plants, but they eventually regress into Sweetles if they have no grubfruit to tend. But this is fine, it's not like everything should be designed for maximum convenience and ease for the player.

4 hours ago, blakemw said:

there are some "exploits" with feeding small amounts of a substance to give the egg chance

Does that still work? I recently tried it with something (i think copper ore for smooth hatch) but it didn't seem to noticably increase the egg chance when i only fed 1kg at a time.

4 hours ago, blakemw said:

Well that's only if you're wild or glum ranching.

Yep. I do like my wild critters :).

Which actually makes it difficult even if i'm grooming my sage hatch p-dirt disposal ranch. I can't just auto-crack the plain hatch eggs because they go and murder my cute wild hatch population. Otherwise it wouldn't be so bad.

6 hours ago, gabberworld said:

you should not really feed the sage hatches directly with dirt tho instead make fertilizer and feed that

Hmm does it increase the egg chance for sage hatches? I actually haven't tried this as my dreckos never produce much phosphorite. Maybe i should give them more than one plant per four dreckos...

Archived