Current Geyser Distribution

Just wanted to get back into the game and was searching for a seed, so I fell into the rabbit hole of the forum search without finding a satisfying answer.

So hopefully for some it might be a trivial question:

How is the current formula for geyser count / always available / possible geyser spawns in the dlc ?

[I´m looking mostly on the coverage of infinitely sustainable resources and their avaibility through unique geysers,]

I'm noy sure of the exact specifics, but from my experience here's the collection of guaranteed geysers in SO worlds:

- Starting planet always has 1 cool steam vent,  1 cool slush geyser and 1 cool salt slush geyser as well as 3 minor volcanoes. (this will include Terra clusters in the upcoming update)

- Teleporter asteroid always has a Liquid Sulfur Geyser and a collection of oil wells.

- The Radioactive Asteroid always has 2 gold volcanoes, 2 aluminum volcanoes (replaced with cobalt on Forest clusters) and usually Liquid CO2 geysers in the radioactive biome.

- The Marshy Asteroid always has at least one Tungsten volcano, usually more.

- The Tundra Asteroid always has 3 iron volcanoes.

- The Water Moonlet always has 2 water geysers of various kinds (I've seen water, polluted water, salt water, and cool salt slush).

- The Moo Moonlet always has a chlorine vent.

- The Superconductive Asteroid always has one Nionium volcano.

As for random geysers, I'm not sure of the exact list but here's what I've observed:

- The geyser selection includes Hydrogen, Natural Gas, Chlorine, Hot CO2, Liquid CO2, Minor Volcano, Polluted O2 (both infectious and hot). I've noticed Polluted Water and Salt Water geysers can also spawn in the Radioactive asteroid, at least in Terra clusters.

- The teleporter asteroid selects 2, the radioactive asteroid selects 2 (3 in the upcoming update) and the marshy asteroid selects 1 (though im not sure about next update). No other asteroids have these random geysers to my knowledge, but the starting astetoid in the next update will have 3 random geysers, though the list is supposedly curated.

This is all from experience though, so it's possible that there are innaccuracies or missing info.

There are also a guaranteed Natural gas vent in SO Terra (after tomorrow's update) and Hydrogen or Chlorine  vent in SO Swamp and Forest.

Classic Terra cluster has bigger map and more geysers. The "classic" guaranteed geysers (2 CSV, Nat gas, Nat gas or Chlorine, Salt water) in the starting asteroid.

An easy way to check geysers in starting asteroid without debug, is the starmap. It "reveals" all geysers, buried or not (double geyser spawns won't show)

1 hour ago, Electroely said:

Starting planet always has 1 cool steam vent,  1 cool slush geyser and 1 cool salt slush geyser as well as 3 minor volcanoes. (this will include Terra clusters in the upcoming update)

The geyser selection includes Hydrogen, Natural Gas, Chlorine, Hot CO2, Liquid CO2, Minor Volcano, Polluted O2 (both infectious and hot). I've noticed Polluted Water and Salt Water geysers can also spawn in the Radioactive asteroid, at least in Terra clusters.

1. So how many "random" geysers do the starting biomes still allow if there are 6 fixed geysers already ?

[My last spaced out seed of an older game version contained just 2 geysers in total.]

2. Is there still a chance for a metal volcano spawning in one of the starting asteroids ?

1 hour ago, Electroely said:

replaced with cobalt on Forest clusters

3. So if I want to have a sure cobalt volcano I need to start on a forest cluster ?

3 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

1. So how many "random" geysers do the starting biomes still allow if there are 6 fixed geysers already ?

[My last spaced out seed of an older game version contained just 2 geysers in total.]

2. Is there still a chance for a metal volcano spawning in one of the starting asteroids ?

1. All the random geysers I mentioned are completely separate from the guaranteed geysers. You'll probably need to wait for the next update to see them - Terra and Swamp clusters don't currently have them in the starting planet.

Here's a screenshot from the Beta:

image.thumb.png.95ea21e8f48b871e60d17f0357dae36d.png

The guaranteed geysers are circled in red, while the random ones are circled in blue. Listing them going from top to bottom:
Guaranteed:
- Cool Slush Geyser
- Cool Salt Slush Geyser
- Cool Steam Vent
- Natural Gas Geyser (forgot to mention it earlier but one is guaranteed on Terra)
- 3 Minor Volcanoes
Random:
- Polluted Water Geyser
- Natural Gas Geyser
- Hot Polluted O2 Vent

2. I'm not sure if there's a chance for one of the random geysers to be a metal volcano, but I really doubt there is. You can find random metal volcanoes on the starting planet in Classic-style worlds, though. All the metal volcanoes in Spaced Out-style worlds are guaranteed ones, to my knowledge.

3 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

3. So if I want to have a sure cobalt volcano I need to start on a forest cluster ?

Yes. You only get 2 guaranteed cobalt volcanoes on the Radioactive planet in the Forest cluster. For Terra and Swamp, you'll find 2 aluminum volcanoes instead.

on SO maps, the metal volcanoes are set, you can roll minor volcanoes for randoms but the main asteroid is the only one i've seen large volcanoes spawn on, rarely.  i've seen polluted water vent on the main asteroid for terra and forest, i haven't made many swamp map starts.  the nuclear planet -can- have salt water and/or polluted water vents, i've seen a couple seeds get both or double polluted water.  oily asteroid can't get any water geysers but could get a second sulfur geyser

it seems to vary 8kg/s to 20kg/s for water depending on your seed.  and tbh you can produce extra water from oil wells or from arbor trees or even steam engine exhaust

for me, metal volcano > water geyser > power producing vent / mv / volcano > anything co2.  in SO, only the classic terra map can get random metal volcanoes

12 hours ago, Electroely said:

Yes. You only get 2 guaranteed cobalt volcanoes on the Radioactive planet in the Forest cluster. For Terra and Swamp, you'll find 2 aluminum volcanoes instead.

In my current testing branch game I got aluminium volcanoes even with a forest start.

37 minutes ago, blakemw said:

I got aluminium volcanoes even with a forest start.

Cobalt volcano is gone?! :-o 

It was a forest start only volcano (irradiated swamp). Unless there is a "chance" to spawn instead of aluminum, it doesn't seem to be present anymore

Just rolled a couple maps to get a first impression of the current geyser distribution:

So I thought a bit about "minor" and "non-minor"^^ volcanoes, I just spawned one "non-minor/normal" volcano at most.

=> Is it just a little chance for any of the 3 slots to be a bigger volcano ?

[Can I roll a starting map with more than one ? Or even just "non-minor/normal" volcanoes ?]

Just came in to share my idea about geyser and biome distribution and get some more thoughts on it. I think it would be easier on Klei to code and maintain and for everyone to wrap their head around if all geysers for all biomes were the same and all biomes for all planetoids were the same (instead of having 3 variations of every planetoids plus all the secondary and tertiary planetoid variations and so on), but the planetoids beyond your first one were curated to be set at random chance.

This means you could start on Forest and teleport to Swamp, Terra or something else slightly easier or harder from the list of starting planetoids, then the pool for harder planetoids extending further with the third, fourth and further planetoids (but making sure you get 1 of each important type of course). Here is list of most fitting geysers (some new) for each biome in my opinion (could have no geysers for the starting biome if they get in the way too much).

Sandstone - Copper Volcano

Forest - Aluminum Volcano

Swamp - Polluted Water Vent, Cool Slush Geyser, Cobalt Volcano

Marsh - Polluted Water Vent, Infectious Polluted Oxygen Vent, Gold Volcano

Jungle - Chlorine Vent, Water Geyser

Rust - Chlorine Vent, Ethanol Geyser

Ocean - Salt Water Geyser, Hydrogen Vent

Frozen - Carbon Dioxide Geyser, Cool Salty Slush Geyser

Frozen (second variation) - Liquid Oxygen Geyser, Tungsten Volcano

Moonlet - Liquid Chlorine Geyser, Methane Geyser

Oil - Oil Reservoir, Leaky Oil Fissure, Lead Volcano

Wasteland - Liquid Sulfur Geyser

Desert (oasis desert) - Hot Polluted Oxygen Vent, Cool Steam Vent

Magma - Volcano, Minor Volcano, Iron Volcano

Uranium - Liquid Chlorine Geyser, some geyser for potentially providing renewable enriched uranium, Niobium Volcano?

One new biome idea - cave biome that is full of minerals, full of coal, abyss bugs, stone hatches, dusk caps, some rich metals and lots of CO2 could be a cool and more expanded version of the barren biome. A perfect fit for a Carbon Dioxide vent.

Archived