Show me your LOX

On 6/15/2021 at 2:01 PM, Fradow said:

The most comprehensive I know of is Hotep Thunderbolt's one (he doesn't come on the forums, but is okay with his designs being shared here).

The Integrated rocket refueler

Integrated-rocket-refueler.thumb.png.aa3a6d7713fec56d28a06aee621356f8.png

Having large LOX/LH tanks, it obviously doesn't emphasis spinning up fast. It has some power-saving by merging the Hydra and the LOX/LH maker, and according to his descriptions, has runned 8-9 hundreds cycles on triple speed without any noticeable issue, including save/load cycles (there is an OnLoad detector)

Get better automation overlay MOD from steam workshop, you'll see how better your screenshots will get!

I think I've explored this experiment enough and, while my version isn't as fast as the IRR, I want to do a little write-up on the machine. I am going to utilize a completely different build for LH/LOX but I'm open to improvement suggestions. Screenshots here are from my testing apparatus and I'd arrange the buildings in the pool just a little differently.

Materials:

• Gold for heat transfer except in a few critical spots
  • Thermium radiant gas pipes (6 segments). Thermium radiant liquid pipe on the second stage of the LH chiller (2 segments)
  • Steel doors
  • Diamond blocks
  • Use sensible materials for insulated areas
  • Tempshift plates are made of dirt except diamond in the steam room (probably, maybe granite).

This build features a few novel-to-me concepts in producing rocket fuel. For reference, the left side of this machine is for Hydrogen and the right is for Oxygen. The orientation does not matter, but ensure the chilled supercoolant comes into contact with hydrogen first.

1. The aquatuners chill supercoolant down to "absolute" zero to increase the efficiency of heat transfer. All chilling is done on plates for more precise temperature control.
    • This machine never freezes liquid
  2. Incoming gas is pre-chilled to a few tenths of a degree C above it's condensation point.
    • The first thing freshly chilled coolant encounters is two separate hydrogen chillers (left). The gas comes out at -254.3 ± 0.2°C
    • The last thing it encounters is a single oxygen chiller (right). That comes out similarly close to -184.4°C.
  3. When gas enters the chamber it is condensed by a chill plate that drips onto a small bead of supercoolant
    • The temperature of the bead controls the chill plate
    • It also forms a bead pump to draw any gas in the pool back up to the chill plate. Once the equipment in the pool chamber comes down to operating temperature that room is a vacuum.
  4. This builds circulates LH/LOX to prevent broken pipes, however it only returns liquid to the pool if it is close to vaporization.
    • This saves energy by only running the pump when necessary
    • It also prevents the pump from generating heat in a liquid with a small temperature band
    • As a consequence I have to slap a chill plate on the pools, but it's not used that much

20210706181500_1.thumb.jpg.7b9a7bc8eecc77c49032f17b12d1531d.jpg

Liquid Pipes

Spoiler

20210706181531_1.thumb.jpg.b64d98652689b745940db49cee41bbf4.jpg

Gas Pipes

Spoiler

Note that incoming gas is counter-flowed against the coolant.

20210706181535_1.thumb.jpg.7ff64da754987c399315be843d35a828.jpg

Automation

Spoiler

20210706181522_1.thumb.jpg.7138b04cf31f5220a7d04f4d8d43f500.jpg

Shipping

Spoiler

Not worth sharing. I use steel bridges to facilitate heat transfer.

Build Plan

1. Build the ST/AT rig
  2. All three gas chiller apparatuses. Start chilling that mass while you build the rest
  3. The rest
  4. Let the entire machine come down to temperature. You'll know when all the doors are open
  5. Turn on the gas feed

I'm gonna spend some time exploring how gas condenses in airflow tiles to see what can be done there (thanks @Autoskip).

On 7/5/2021 at 11:36 AM, Autoskip said:

It's a fairly nice base

Why thank you lol ;-)

Still fairly early in this save so no LOX yet lol but I appreciate the tag bringing me here for ideas when I do set mine up!

On 7/5/2021 at 8:03 AM, Occam Blazer said:

That's very far away. (-:

Ok i started rocketry on my recent world and here the design.
image.thumb.png.a068f17baa84d685f77ffbaefd23d239.pngimage.thumb.png.5a228633787c12de337e6329fa312df7.pngimage.thumb.png.e7f1673d353ab377e890d6f0ddbf74e3.png
Run perfectly fine with 1kg/s oxygen, but i think it can handle more, but i only want to supply 1 gas pipe so that it.

3 hours ago, NewWorldDan said:

Pro tip:  pipe the hydrogen gas in radiant gas pipes through the LOX to pre chill it on the way to the hydrogen chamber.  You get much better stability out of it that way, especially if your hydrogen is coming in rather hot. 

My build uses a pre-chiller to get the hydrogen down to a few tenths of a degree above it's condensation point when it enters the collecting chamber. Using chill plates gives you the advantage of using super coolant at it's lowest temperature for quicker heat transfer. (-:

10 hours ago, Occam Blazer said:

My build uses a pre-chiller to get the hydrogen down to a few tenths of a degree above it's condensation point when it enters the collecting chamber. Using chill plates gives you the advantage of using super coolant at it's lowest temperature for quicker heat transfer. (-:

You can get it lower, as phase transitions happen 3° past the actual phasing temperature. 

On 7/3/2021 at 2:21 PM, Autoskip said:

My dad has a Russian Dnepr motorcycle (the "D" is silent), and it's often the very definition of this - at one point the speedo was playing up, so dad looked up how they worked and all the tiny little pieces all working together in a complicated mess - and then opened up the Dnepr's speedo and found out that it had about two parts.

Great post and true. BMW and the others gangs makes good money with giga tons of parts. The goal for BMW is 1000 parts per cubic meter + the car needs to be sawn in to pieces and unglued + computer hacked to gain access to "something". Maintenance horror and bills makes people to buy new throwaway products.

The build competitions in ONI are often awesome to look at :encouragement:

I like to lay one million pipes in the game, I`m a BMW Mario. :ghost:

The 730d model from 2006, with cream white leather and 250 interior operation buttons was the best ! :rolleyes:

Archived